• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

OCD Guy

Just scaling an image from one resolution to another is, computationally, almost nothing. It's already going on many times every frame with textures anyway. It's definitely not something that needs the GPU to be going 150% faster for.

Yes! That is why... there are different modes docked and undocked. Rendering at a different resolution is something entirely different from scaling a game being rendered at some fixed resolution. Why some games like Splatoon 2 don't seem to be running at a higher resolution docked, I don't know.

Yes we're on the same page now. I'm aware that simply scaling an image requires minimal resources. That's why an Xbox One S outputs games at 4k, the games are simply upscaled as opposed to natively rendered at 4k the way I could a pc game with a pair of 1080's in sli lol. The Ps4 pro doesn't even natively render games at 4k (a few exceptions of course)

Perhaps in order for Splatoon 2 to remain 60fps they need to use a 720p framebuffer and rely on scaling to 1080p.The gpu in the switch is likely not capable of natively rendering the game with a 1080p framebuffer.

The same way a multi-platform game might be 900p on the Xbox One, as opposed to 1080p on the PS4, because the gpu is simply not strong enough to run at a higher framebuffer and provide parity in terms of framerate etc.

We're already seeing compromises being made, take Breath of the Wild for example that is using a 900p frame buffer, and that struggles to hit a constant 30fps. Yet I've seen posts from people claiming we might get to see higer levels of AA while docked on that game. AA is probably one of the biggest hits on performance you can make. Anyone with a pc will know that if you want to kill your framerate then crank AA up as high as possible lol.

Like the Xbox One being unable to natively render games at 1080p, if the Switch is unable to natively render a game at 1080p the chances of then adding higher graphical effects while docked is next to none.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yes they are

And yes it is. What games have seen, a 60fps Mario game with giant open areas with physically based rendering, GI, and better details than the linear 3D World despite having to deal with stuff like draw distance? Wii U ports running at over 2x the resolution? FE Warriors looking vastly better than Hyrule Warriors? A port from PS4 which was done in a week and looks beautiful after only one month of work?

Also, is the only console in history that is maxed at launch? No right that was the Wii U with the Darksiders 2 port
/s
the initial point was that wii u to switch is not unlike ps4 to pro. as another poster said this is not the case in regards to the cpu and ram (which I agree with) however nothing you're saying strikes me as being different than what the ps4 pro could accomplish in comparison to the ps4 if given the opportunity to have a different library of games. when you look at direct ports i.e. zelda and mk8dx and see their enhancements it's not reaching to say that the switch specifically as a console is similar to the jump from ps4 to ps4 pro. again this is without taking portability, ram, and the cpu into account. I'm not sure why people are acting like the comparison is so inflammatory.

Astral Dog

Yes we're on the same page now. I'm aware that simply scaling an image requires minimal resources. That's why an Xbox One S outputs games at 4k, the games are simply upscaled as opposed to natively rendered the way I could a pc game with a pair of 1080's in sli lol.

Perhaps in order for Splatoon 2 to remain 60fps they need to use a 720p framebuffer and rely on scaling to 1080p.The gpu in the switch is likely not capable of natively rendering the game with a 1080p framebuffer.

The same way a multi-platform game might be 900p on the Xbox One, as opposed to 1080p on the PS4, because the gpu is simply not strong enough to run at a higher framebuffer and provide parity in terms of framerate etc.

We're already seeing compromises being made, take Breath of the Wild for example that is using a 900p frame buffer, and that struggles to hit a constant 30fps.
Maybe this could be a bandwith limitation.
Though is too early to assume there won't be improvments in Splatoon resolution when it launches.i can see at least 900p when Mario Kart got up to 1080

Rodin

Yes we're on the same page now. I'm aware that simply scaling an image requires minimal resources. That's why an Xbox One S outputs games at 4k, the games are simply upscaled as opposed to natively rendered the way I could a pc game with a pair of 1080's in sli lol.

We're already seeing compromises being made, take Breath of the Wild for example that is using a 900p frame buffer, and that struggles to hit a constant 30fps.
Splatoon 2 is 720p at undocked speed, there's no reason a clock 2.5x higher wouldn't be able to render the game at 2.25x the resolution, especially when Mario Kart and Fast RMX are doing exactly that. There doesn't seem to be anything bandwidth heavy either, not compared to these other two at least, but even in that case it would still be bumped to 900p at least. Not the case here, so it must be something else, like an old build, possibly running only at undocked speed.

And Zelda being 900p doesn't necessarily mean anything, the game started development on switch last spring and was made alongside the Wii U version. Hardly something that pushes the console to its limits.

Nategc20

Banned
From the hardware leak we see here, honestly Switch seems more like a Wii U Pro rather than Wii U 2.

I mean PS4 Pro is about 3 times as powerful as PS4 which seems about the same as Wii U and Switch.
Its still a powerful ass handheld that plays nintendo's entire future handheld library.

Graphically the console will have some beautiful games. Between nintendo and the japanese inevitable third party support, im banking in a years time the console will have some gems in the graphics department.

Razgreez

Gaming benchmarks

Nvidia shield android TV futuremark

Apple ipad pro A9X @ 9.7" display futuremark

It was designed for what then? What needs that kind of performance outside of games? X1 is also from 2015, 7 months ahead of ipad pro in fact. And let's not even go into price comparisons..

Perfectly plausible? Your solution would make the 599$ meme laughingly a good price in comparison.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/qnerd1gayaiyq8q4g6u5.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Jebus rice you're comparing an actively powered actively cooled android tv device to a passively cooled slim multimedia device and are not only surprised that the actively cooled and powered device out performs it but ask "what else" was the chip in the multimedia device, with far higher thermal constraints, designed for.

I'm sure you're sure you're very smart

Astral Dog

the initial point was that wii u to switch is not unlike ps4 to pro. as another poster said this is not the case in regards to the cpu and ram (which I agree with) however nothing you're saying strikes me as being different than what the ps4 pro could accomplish in comparison to the ps4 if given the opportunity to have a different library of games. when you look at direct ports i.e. zelda and mk8dx and see their enhancements it's not reaching to say that the switch specifically as a console is similar to the jump from ps4 to ps4 pro. again this is without taking portability, ram, and the cpu into account. I'm not sure why people are acting like the comparison is so inflammatory.
Switch has triple the RAM for games its much more modern architecture and uses a different CPU (!) .
We also assume the memory pool won't be divided like 3DS or Wii U.

Its still in the same sphere,but its capabilities are unique enough

VRMN

Though is too early to assume there won't be improvments in Splatoon resolution when it launches.i can see at least 900p when Mario Kart got up to 1080
I think it's fair to want to want to see dedicated software before drawing firm conclusions. Or even final software, but BotW is a port from Wii U. MK8DX is an enhanced port from Wii U. Those titles probably aren't representative of the capabilities of software designed from the ground up for this architecture.

Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 should be, though.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I came across this
The accounts are device-spanning network accounts that can also be used from PCs and smart devices.

Notice how it doesn't include "other NX devices" at the end of the sentens :(

Switch has triple the RAM for games its much more modern architecture and uses a different CPU (!) .
We also assume the memory pool won't be divided like 3DS or Wii U.

Its still in the same sphere,but its capabilities are unique enough

I'm aware of that as I've stated before. I guess people would be more comfortable describing this as a xb1 ---> scorpio jump as that's more apt in regards to all components of the switch in comparison to the wii u (based on rumors of course). From what I understand that jump will be much greater though.

Astral Dog

I came across this

Notice how it doesn't include "other NX devices" at the end of the sentens :(

I'm aware of that as I've stated before. I guess people would be more comfortable describing this as a xb1 ---> scorpio jump as that's more apt in regards to all components of the switch in comparison to the wii u (based on rumors of course). From what I understand that jump will be much greater though.
What about,PS2 to Xbox? 😃
Or Dreamcast to Xbox

Jebus rice you're comparing an actively powered actively cooled android tv device to a passively cooled slim multimedia device and are not only surprised that the actively cooled and powered device out performs it but ask "what else" was the chip in the multimedia device, with far higher thermal constraints, designed for.

He's not wrong about the price factor.

The cheapest iPad pro is currently $599 USD, whereas the Nvidia Shield TV came out almost 2 years ago at $199 USD, which means Nintendo is probably paying a quarter of that today for the Tegra X1.

It doesn't matter if the A9X performs well for its form factor it costs way too damn much for Nintendo to ever include it in their system.

OCD Guy

whilst not an issue for televisions, it's a different story if you play using a monitor.

Yeah as monitors tend to expect PC signals (0-255) so you're left with grey blacks, and a washed out image.

I've noticed a lot of modern monitors have the option of changing that though, although I'd always tend to run with full anyway.

Yeah as you say there's still time to make adjustments and polish things up. We've even seen examples of games being patched to run at higher resolutions too (on other consoles)

And Zelda being 900p doesn't necessarily mean anything, the game started development on switch last spring and was made alongside the Wii U version. Hardly something that pushes the console to its limits.

I know, and I've been wondering whether the Wii U has even held back Breath of the Wild in some ways.

Ultimately I want to clarify that I don't really care about graphics or resolution. My main concern is framerate, and most Nintendo games are 60fps. I'll also predominantly be playing on the switch itself anyway so whether the switch is able to natively render a game at 1080p or not isn't going to bother me.

The whole conversation really started because I disagreed with posters who think there might be major improvements to graphics and framerate in games when docked.

Randomizer

You can be disappointed in the Switch from a home console perspective but have to acknowledge for a hybrid/handheld it is pushing the max specs for it's intended purpose. A battery/performance balance has to be reached. Sure if they used the new Tegra P1 using Pascal and 16nm it would have better specs for the same power draw but that chip wasn't ready.

Does anything even use the Tegra P1? Even though it was announced over a year ago, I don't think anything is using it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You can be disappointed in the Switch from a home console perspective but have to acknowledge for a hybrid/handheld it is pushing the max specs for it's intended purpose. A battery/performance balance has to be reached. Sure if they used the new Tegra P1 using Pascal and 16nm it would have better specs for the same power draw but that chip wasn't ready.

Does anything even use the Tegra P1? Even though it was announced over a year ago, I don't think anything is using it.

google self driving cars as referenced during the great switch vs. pixel c debate of 2017

Buggy Loop

You said "I'd hazard a guess that the 16nm A9X would outperform the 20nm X1 in the switch quite considerably without any throttling"

Now tell me how you would compare performances without the switch out in the wild (and unlikely to ever be benchmarked as an ios/android anyway).

Switch has active cooling
Ipad pro thermal headroom is also higher, being a tablet.

Benchmarking wise it does not matter, the Ipad pro would be unlikely to keep that performance for long, but that is also to switch's advantage.

Dont switch goal posts. Your guess was wrong.

edit.
But here, just for you, Google Pixel C, underclocked compared to shield TV, and is a tablet with passive cooling

Google Pixel C
Sling Shot Extreme Unlimited
Average score 3260
Physics score 1580
Graphics score 4896
Graphics test 129 FPS
Graphics test 216 FPS
Physics test part 139 FPS
Physics test part 216 FPS
Physics test part 37 FPS

Apple Ipad pro A9X
Average score 3108
Physics score 1450
Graphics score 4513
Graphics test 126 FPS
Graphics test 216 FPS
Physics test part 134 FPS
Physics test part 214 FPS
Physics test part 38 FPS

Google Pixel C
Ice Storm Unlimited
Average score 39827
Physics score 22180
Graphics score 52765
Graphics test 1253 FPS
Graphics test 2209 FPS
Physics test 70 FPS

Apple Ipad pro A9X
Ice Storm Unlimited
Average score 33649
Physics score 15665
Graphics score 49519
Graphics test 1256 FPS
Graphics test 2186 FPS
Physics test 50 FPS

Again, is your guess right?

Glass Joe

I know, and I've been wondering whether the Wii U has even held back Breath of the Wild in some ways.

I suspect it may be, as opposed to if it had been developed from the ground up for Switch. Pretty sure Nintendo said both versions run at the same frame rate... Since I've seen some dips here and there and the Switch is more powerful, that's odd. Like they had to quickly port the engine designed for Wii U and could only give the Switch a slight resolution boost. But I'm not a developer, so I don't know if my guess has any merit.

Razgreez

The cheapest iPad pro is currently $599 USD, whereas the Nvidia Shield TV came out almost 2 years ago at $199 USD, which means Nintendo is probably paying a quarter of that today for the Tegra X1.

It doesn't matter if the A9X performs well for its form factor it costs way too damn much for Nintendo to ever include it in their system.

Going around in circles here. The price of the ipad includes a number of features which are not entirely necessary for gaming plus we all are aware that apple devices are sold at a high premium (the highest in the mobile market by some margin). Ergo, the price was not really apples to apples, hehe, since a company could approach IMGTec directly for power vr licencing and get their arm core licences straight from ARM itself.

It's specifically why I stated that the A9X, as a SoC itself, was "not necessarily an option nor the only option". Besides, it would appear shield android tv device sales are not that great so the, relatively, affordable price makes sense.

You said "I'd hazard a guess that the 16nm A9X would outperform the 20nm X1 in the switch quite considerably without any throttling"

Now tell me how you would compare performances without the switch out in the wild (and unlikely to ever be benchmarked as an ios/android anyway).

Switch has active cooling
Ipad pro thermal headroom is also higher, being a tablet.

Benchmarking wise it does not matter, the Ipad pro would be unlikely to keep that performance for long, but that is also to switch's advantage.

Dont switch goal posts. Your guess was wrong.

As seen above he is "completely wrong" and is being purposefully deceptive by selectively quoting from my post and then hand-waving away any other fallacies on their part - which is quite frankly just downright ungentlemanly/unladylike :D

Below is the passage from my post:

The question was "in the same form factor" I.e. larger system, active cooling etc. Given all those concessions I'd hazard a guess that the 16nm A9X would out perform the 20nm X1 in the switch quite considerably without any throttling. Similarly had you placed the switch's X1 in an iPhone shell it would likely throttle even in its current underclocked mobile state.

Now compare it to what was quoted. But no I'm the one "switch(ing) goal posts"

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's included elsewhere in the documentation that an account can be used across multiple Switches.

EDIT: The exact quote that I posted earlier:

Are you thinking that you can't use one Nintendo Account with multiple Switch? Because according to the documents, you can.

From this page: http://dystify.com/Overview/contents/Pages/Page_105383775.html
This is the real news though

The link between a user and a Nintendo Account can be removed at any time. After the link has been removed, the user can link to a different Nintendo Account. (The operating policy might put a limit on how often this can be done.)

32 GB as the limit is not a huge deal.

FFXV is not coming to Switch, good luck getting that to run even if file size wasn't a concern.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is not coming to Switch, and I repeat, good luck getting that to run even if file size wasn't a concern.

It's not worth it for those publishers to bring their meatiest modern AAA titles to a system that's too weak to run them without serious downgrades, modern architecture or not. The cost of larger cartridges (perhaps built into the licencing fee) just doesn't go away, nor does the Switch's low power in comparison to even a vanilla PS4/XB1, especially in portable mode.

A larger part of my thought:

I wish Nintendo do offered a really small size (most indies would fit on) and 32 GB.

I worry that with the varied sizes, a lot of publishers/devs will cut cost and release their wares on smaller size cards (cutting textures, graphics, etc) to cut cost; allowing to fit on a smaller/cheaper cart.

If most cards were just 4GB + 32GB you'd likely have no choice, but to use the nicest cart to fit your game. That means better textures and assets.

I do worry - as we know what happened with 3DS games. There were larger carts, but few developers declined fed to use them....the ones that did were few and far between (Resident Evil Revelations) and tried to charge more for the cart size.

Terrell

A larger part of my thought:

I wish Nintendo do offered a really small size (most indies would fit on) and 32 GB.

I worry that with the varied sizes, a lot of publishers/devs will cut cost and release their wares on smaller size cards (cutting textures, graphics, etc) to cut cost; allowing to fit on a smaller/cheaper cart.

If most cards were just 4GB + 32GB you'd likely have no choice, but to use the nicest cart to fit your game. That means better textures and assets.

I do worry - as we know what happened with 3DS games. There were larger carts, but few developers declined fed to use them....the ones that did were few and far between (Resident Evil Revelations) and tried to charge more for the cart size.

Switch devs have some means to shave several GBs off their games utilizing audio-video compression options not found on PS4 or Xbox One.

Add a 9.7" 1440p screen, 4 speakers, and a 7,306 mAh battery to the Shield TV and it would be as or more expensive than the iPad Pro. The A9X doesn't look to be that expensive. It's estimated to cost around $37-40.

Gaming benchmarks

Nvidia shield android TV futuremark

Apple ipad pro A9X @ 9.7" display futuremark

Nvidia shield android TV
Average score 4219
Physics score 2202
Graphics score 5728
Graphics test 133 FPS
Graphics test 219 FPS
Physics test part 153 FPS
Physics test part 222 FPS
Physics test part 311 FPS

Apple Ipad pro A9X
Average score 3108
Physics score 1450
Graphics score 4513
Graphics test 126 FPS
Graphics test 216 FPS
Physics test part 134 FPS
Physics test part 214 FPS
Physics test part 38 FPS

Nvidia shield android TV
Ice Storm Unlimited
Average score 45209
Physics score 24814
Graphics score 59483
Graphics test 1288 FPS
Graphics test 2234 FPS
Physics test 79 FPS

Apple Ipad pro A9X
Ice Storm Unlimited
Average score 33649
Physics score 15665
Graphics score 49519
Graphics test 1256 FPS
Graphics test 2186 FPS
Physics test 50 FPS

yup, outperform quite considerably...

It was designed for what then? What needs that kind of performance outside of games? X1 is also from 2015, 7 months ahead of ipad pro in fact. And let's not even go into price comparisons..

Perfectly plausible? Your solution would make the 599$ meme laughingly a good price in comparison.

qnerd1gayaiyq8q4g6u5.gif

Interesting. If you take TX1's score and multiply that by 0.768 (Eurogamer has Switch max frequency at 768MHz vs TX1's max of 1GHz), the average score will still be higher than than the one for the iPad Pro.

As for people saying that Sony's theorical portable would be much more powerful, it should be noted that the CPU and GPU for the PSVita was high-end for the time, but was also severely underclocked.

Add a 9.7" 1440p screen, 4 speakers, and a 7,306 mAh battery to the Shield TV and it would be as or more expensive than the iPad Pro.The A9X doesn't look to be that expensive. It's estimated to cost around $37-40.

The A9X was designed by Apple while using technology from ARM, the R&D alone for the A9X would offset the price far higher then the Tegra X1. There is a reason Sony, Microsoft and now Nintendo have decided to go with off the shelf components for their consoles lately, Sony learned that the hard way with the PS3.

Dystify

So they switched from supporting 4K output to not?

I find this incredibly hard to believe.

You really shouldn't doubt the legitimacy of this leak anymore when several Switch devs have already confirmed it's real. 4K support may or may not become available later via an update I guess.

N30RYU

Is there any place where I can see how many players can play locally on a single switch in portable, tabletop or TV mode for every game? I still can't find if I can play 4 players on MK8D or Bomberman R on tabletop mode or if is it just for TV mode.

random25

Is there any place where I can see how many players can play locally on a single switch in portable, tabletop or TV mode for every game? I still can't find if I can play 4 players on MK8D or Bomberman R on tabletop mode or if is it just for TV mode.

The back of the game boxes shows you this info.

HotHamBoy

Not having a Web Browser for a portable is a huge issue for one major reason: gateway logins at certain wifi access points.

Huge oversight, IMO. Gonna be a big issue at campuses and businesses.

The person who leaked this better hope that Nintendo didn't have any hidden watermarks that tell them which company leaked the doc. There are a number of ways to hide information like that in a doc, and Nintendo is quite paranoid of leaks.

Not having a Web Browser for a portable is a huge issue for one major reason: gateway logins at certain wifi access points.

According to the docs, the device *does* have web browsing capability. It is fully HTML5 capable. They just aren't including a web browser for users, or allowing game developers to give unhindered access to the internet. But that doesn't mean the console can't call up a web browser when making a wifi connection that needs one.

The person who leaked this better hope that Nintendo didn't have any hidden watermarks that tell them which company leaked the doc. There are a number of ways to hide information like that in a doc, and Nintendo is quite paranoid of leaks.

According to the docs, the device *does* have web browsing capability. It is fully HTML5 capable. They just aren't including a web browser for users, or allowing game developers to give unhindered access to the internet. But that doesn't mean the console can't call up a web browser when making a wifi connection that needs one.

Regarding browser...that would make it quite easy to add a browser when/if they choose, right?

Terrell

It's like you stopped reading that part of the OP mid-sentence to provide your not-so-hot take.

Dystify

The web applet page seems to be quite detailed: http://dystify.com/Features/contents/Pages/Page_107323164.html
The connect to Wifi thing definitely seems possible with this. Makes me wonder if there was a way to inject data to Switch by making it visit my own created wifi page. Hope it's not possible.

Regarding browser...that would make it quite easy to add a browser when/if they choose, right?

They seem to make it pretty clear that there are no plans for a web browser on Switch. Hearing there's no browser sounds kinda bad at first, but most people never really use it anyway (or very rarely). Yes, it sucks for those who use it a lot.

Hermii

It's a point that lots of people seem to not understand:

The Switch uses the most advanced mobile chipset NVIDIA makes right now.
That still doesn't make it less disappointing if they couldn't implement a die shrink or any Parker features with all those man years. It's still a 2 year old chipset, unless every leak but the Foxconn leak is outdated..

Do you still stand by that this should be able to run every current gen game?

antonz

That still doesn't make it less disappointing if they couldn't implement a die shrink or any Parker features with all those man years. It's still a 2 year old chipset, unless every leak but the Foxconn leak is outdated..

Parker for the most part is just a die shrunk X1. It has the wider memory interface but that is something Nintendo could have opted for but they were clearly happy with what seems to be a relatively standard X1.

Much of the hype for Parker was before we ended up knowing what it was. It was nowhere near as impressive as people expected. Of course Xavier on the hand is extremely impressive.

Except it does have one, and apparently one that supports most modern web tech (HTML, latest JavaScript, most streaming media formats/codecs), but simply lacks browser features (ie tabs, bookmarks). Devs can even embed a web applet in games

Schnozberry

Parker was introduced (not even in production) in January of 2016 as a part for self driving cars. That's long after Nintendo would have started planning the Switch. Nintendo took the best of what Nvidia had to offer at the time when they were drawing up their plans.

We also don't know what deviates from the traditional X1 design. Custom means custom, but the how and why remains a mystery.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Except it does have one, and apparently one that supports most modern web tech (HTML, latest JavaScript, most streaming media formats/codecs), but simply lacks browser features (ie tabs, bookmarks). Devs can even embed a web applet in games

Latest JavaScript.... I did not see ES6, but ES5 in there to be fair.

Latest JavaScript.... I did not see ES6, but ES5 in there to be fair.

Most majors browsers don't even support all ES6 features, frameworks are still written primarily in ES5 (as in not taking advantage of new features). Plus, it's not the type of thing that would require a HW update to support. Okay, it's not FULLY up to date, but as of now, it will run 99% of what's out there

BooJoh

What bugs me about the browser info is it really does sound like they're stripping out a user web browser to prevent people using it to exploit the system, but no matter how tight they make it people will probably still manage to get it to display custom content using custom DNS.

They're taking out a feature a lot of people want and it probably won't make the system that much more secure in the end.

Top Bottom