• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Kuni

If this is real, here's the following info I just got out of this leak that I didn't know before:

Flight mode
Miis
An internal web applet (how it'll possibly allow hotspot login)
Game card sizes (32gb max)
Quick menu ala Guide
Up to 8 users per console
Full specs
Friend requests and game invites can be sent from the console
Game saves on game carts again (there was no backup solution for this setup on 3DS.

And it's out in just a couple of weeks.

The information strategy out of Nintendo is just horrendous.

Schnozberry

Nintendo has always paid a lot of attention to the bandwidth chain post N64, so maybe it won't be, I hope not. But I was just pointing out the different class of machine, even if Maxwell was fully twice as memory efficient as GCN 1.? (it's not that extreme). "not quite" XBO level is putting it lightly, was my point.

Yeah, it's not going to compete directly with the other consoles on a raw power level. Still very nice for what it sets out to do.

Sendou

Everything about Switch seems just so rushed to market in time for their fiscal year end.

Many said last year that Nintendo were keeping the wraps on Switch until the last minute, because of unique features that they were concerned the competition would copy. But really, they've shown nothing that the competition could/would want to copy. PS4/XBO aren't suddenly going to become handhelds and HD rumble isn't something that everyone has been crying out for.

It's not like PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 would suddenly want to have motion controllers!

opricnik

Banned
I'm not a technical guru, but it sounds like "Noticeably more powerful than WiiU, even in handheld mode, but not quite Xbox One" is the consensus that I've seen from those who understand this stuff better.

Its a bit powerful from Wii U on handheld mode.
Its 3x powerful then Wii U on Dock mode. and it has modern architecture instead of oldshit PowerPC.

But I am not sure which mode devs are gonna target for.
Do they even allowed to make a game exclusive to dock mode etc

Dystify

It's really worth taking a look at these documents. There's so much info in it, some may not even be covered in the OP yet.

Its a bit powerful from Wii U on handheld mode.
Its 3x powerful then Wii U on Dock mode. and it has modern architecture instead of oldshit PowerPC.

But I am not sure which mode devs are gonna target for.

Hope not. That would be awful.

Oregano

Everything about Switch seems just so rushed to market in time for their fiscal year end.

Many said last year that Nintendo were keeping the wraps on Switch until the last minute, because of unique features that they were concerned the competition would copy. But really, they've shown nothing that the competition could/would want to copy. PS4/XBO aren't suddenly going to become handhelds and HD rumble isn't something that everyone has been crying out for.

Indeed, particularly in GPU power, rather than CPU. Also only half the RAM.

HD Rumble/Haptics will be standard next gen.Bet on it. I wouldn't be surprised if the Scorpio controller has it even.

Vern got so much guff whilst people parroted the garbage from LKD. :(

To be fair who would've predicted it launching without a web browser or support for streaming apps? It just sounded so outlandish. But in the end Nintendo can always surprise with its outlandishness I suppose.

The following methods for becoming friends are planned. The details are under evaluation.

-Friend request using a friend code:
Make the friend request using the code issued to each user.

-Friend request from Player History:
Make the friend request from the Player History in the application.

-Friend request from inside the application:
Send a friend request from inside the application (providing that the application supports calls to the system feature for making friend requests).

-Schedule friend request using local communication:
Use local communication and schedule friend requests to be sent to the users of nearby NX systems. Friendships cannot be established this way when NX systems are offline. The friendships are officially established the next time the NX systems connect to the Internet.

There are also plans to provide a feature to recommend users as candidate friends when they play on the NX if those users are already your friends in non-NX applications.

Friend codes? Please no. I see no "Search by username and send requets" type of thing...

Instead of one worded replies why not say what's wrong with the statement I think it seems reasonable and makes sense

Sorry dude. Yeah I just don't believe in such a strange deal. The potential explanations that pascal is designed for cars or that the node wasn't ready for mass production make far more sense imo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
[*]System Settings will allow the user to edit the following settings:
  • Flight Mode Toggle
  • Enable/Disable Bluetooth
  • Manage Wi-fi
  • Manage NFC
  • Manage screen brightness
  • Screen lock
  • User Settings
  • Create/Edit Mii
  • Theme management
  • Controller management
  • System Update

I really like this. I know that's pretty standard, but you never know with Nintendo. Also the web applet might solve the public wifi hotspots issue.

LordOfChaos

Sendou

What year are you in?

Point being that MS and Sony aren't exactly trailblazers. They look at what the market likes and try to release the ultimate version of it. It's great for consumers but Nintendo might view it differently. For example if Switch is successful do you think some sort of PSP line revival is that far off? HD Rumble won't probably be a selling point but I could see next controllers by MS and Sony implementing similiar technology as a footnote.

OCD Guy

As far as I'm aware the only difference between portable and docked will be resolution.

The chances of having higher framerates, different graphical settings, are extremely unlikely.

And having a game that can only be played while docked is NEVER going to happen. It would be an absolute disaster and undermine what the Switch actually is. A device that can be taken anywhere and that provides the same experience wherever you play.

Oregano

To be fair who would've predicted it launching without a web browser or support for streaming apps? It just sounded so outlandish. But in the end Nintendo can always surprise with its outlandishness I suppose.

No definitely. I even got quite heated saying that was stupid.

What year are you in?

I've no doubt, but it's not some massive key feature that Nintendo needed to keep under wraps.

True but they probably got wind of PS4 Pro and Scorpio and decided it was best to keep quiet.

Hmm... I was actually hoping Mario Run and Miitomo were an indication that I'd be able to add friends directly from Twitter/FB. Hope that feature gets added in.

I imagine it will be, even if not at launch.

Strange they reverted to codes from NNID though...

32GB cards are easily big enough, developers fill a 50GB bluray up because they can not because they need too (most of the time)

Oppo

I'm not a technical guru, but it sounds like "Noticeably more powerful than WiiU, even in handheld mode, but not quite Xbox One" is the consensus that I've seen from those who understand this stuff better.

"Not quite" is probably putting it gently. Maxwell is more efficient than the GCN 1.1-1.2 like parts in the PS4/XBO, but not so much that a 500Gflop mobile chip would come near a 1.3Tflop GCN part. FP16 is nice, not applicable to every type of graphics work, not a simple multiplier. And then consider 25GB/s bandwidth instead of 68 main memory, 102GB/s eSRAM bandwidth.

Yeah. Comparing to X1 is a bad idea. And just not fair, frankly.

I want to see a comparison between Switch, and the iPad/iPad mini. The older mini in particular is price-competitive with Switch but drives a much higher-rez screen.

It doesn't matter, it has Zelda /s

I sincerely hope for all your sakes that the new Zelda is actually good. I saw the /s, but you know this sentiment is everywhere.

opricnik

Banned
As far as I'm aware the only difference between portable and docked will be resolution.

The chances of having higher framerates, different graphical settings, are extremely unlikely.

And having a game that can only be played while docked is NEVER going to happen. It would be an absolute disaster and undermine what the Switch actually is. A device that can be taken anywhere and that provides the same experience wherever you play.

Then we are pretty sure devs are gonna target WiiU graphics with a bit modern features in it i suppose. But Dock power should be unused if there is a mandate for Frame rate(which i doubt there is)

EDarkness

Portable mode was ALWAYS going to be the bottleneck.

System Settings will allow the user to edit the following settings:

Create/Edit Mii

Interesting that they decided to put the Create/Edit Mii feature in the System Settings and not give it an app of its own on the home screen (like on the last few systems). Really shows Nintendo is taking the focus off of them, which I think is smart.

Interesting that they decided to put the Create/Edit Mii feature in the System Settings and not give it an app of its own (like on the last few systems). Really shows Nintendo is taking the focus off of them, which I think is smart.

Yeah, this was confirmed in that Kotaku interview. It makes sense to keep them around, but de-emphasize them.

tolkir

The Switch features a Quick Menu. Press and hold the HOME Button for at least one second to display the Quick Settings screen on top of all other screens, including the HOME Menu and any applications. Unlike the 3DS, the active software will not be suspended when this menu is invoked

Dark Souls Trilogy confirmed?

OCD Guy

Portable mode was ALWAYS going to be the bottleneck.

Of course. The fact the device is a portable has compromised everything. They've had to take into account things like battery life, heat and cost.

Had they just designed an actual console with a pro controller we would have had something a lot better in terms of spec.

I'd have been really happy with a console and pro controller. But perhaps I'm in a minority.....

I would love another "me too box" with all the multi-platform that releases on the PlayStation and Xbox but instead of having Halo, Gears etc I'd have Zelda, Mario Kart etc

RAIDEN1

When it comes to home-consoles and Nintendo don't expect "bleeding edge power" comes with the territory, they don't give a dam about what XB1-Scorpio and PS4-Pro are up to....

Isn't this a bit faster than most of us thought? Maximum of 1 teraflop makes current gen ports more likely, but handheld mode will probably put a damper on that.

Of course. The fact the device is a portable has compromised everything. They've had to take into account things like battery life, heat and cost.

Had they just designed an actual console with a pro controller we would have had something a lot better in terms of spec.

I'd have been really happy with a console and pro controller. But perhaps I'm in a minority.....

Yeah, I have multiple consoles that do that already. They probably do a better job at that then Nintendo could realistically accomplish too. Switch seems like the perfect console for the type of games that Nintendo makes, I couldn't be happier with the direction they decided to go.

I don't think Nintendo ever makes a traditional console again.

opricnik

Banned
When it comes to home-consoles and Nintendo don't expect "bleeding edge power" comes with the territory, they don't give a dam about what XB1-Scorpio and PS4-Pro are up to....

Sure but they should atleast give a damn about Xbox 1. I thought it was gonna be very similiar to XB1 before leaks. Pascal and shit got us all hype

Top Bottom