• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Hearts (R) Coming to the West

Yasumi

Banned
From what I played of the demo, I enjoyed the battle system more than Xillia's, particularly how air combo-based it is. If the story's one of the best in series, definite day 1.

Tales fans are a concentrated bunch, but I think the number 1 problem was that people took "#jrpgvita" to mean unlocalized Vita games, and not just JRPGs you want on Vita. SCEA's Third Party Production people were more clear in their intent, and it doesn't look like Tales made a huge splash.

Perhaps with a bit of "this is what we could get"?

Shinriji

It's nice that they listened to their audience.
It's a shame their audience wanted this.

The audience wanted games that currently dont exist, like Type 0 vita and Valkyria Chronicles 3 vita. They also wanted a game that actually exists. They choose the possible option.

I think a more likely scenario is Hearts releasing, bombing (bombing by Vita standards, so bombing hard) and #JRPGVita becoming no more than a forgotten hashtag.

Yeah. The only hope I see for VC and FFT0 at this point is if they just don't have dates yet and are gonna get big reveals at E3 or something. Hearts sounds like the kind of game that wouldn't get a big reveal.

This is mostly just me being irrationally hopeful though, because if this is the fruit of #JRPGVita then we are all fucked.

Eusis

The audience wanted games that currently dont exist, like Type 0 vita and Valkyria Chronicles 3 vita. They also wanted a game that actually exists. They choose the possible option.
And now that I look it seems Over My Dead Body 2 isn't out yet anyway, though I guess that can be #jrpgvita2.

They butchered Hearts with Hearts R. Avoid like the plague.

I was under this mindset until the day the game came out. The demo was awful and as a fan of cel-shading, I was more than a little let down with the choice of graphical style. Then I sat down and played it for a few hours, and thought "okay, better than I thought, but still not what I'd want." The fact that they had another artist remix Sakuraba's own tracks didn't help matters.

However, I started to realize some of the smart fixes they've made to the game.

The original Hearts is notorious for being spammy. Shing gets an Arte called Shouseijin (no localized name yet from other Tales AFAIK) that deals good damage and knocks the enemy high into the air. It's possible to get an enemy to the top of the screen simply by repeating the Arte over and over again: by the end of the game, you'd be able to use the Arte up to 15 to 20 times in succession. In R, if you want to deal damage, you'll have to vary your combos.

Hearts R significantly reduces Arte damage output if you use the same move over and over again. Stunlocked enemies will also occasionally turn red and counterattack. When they do that, if you hit the guard button with perfect timing, you'll counterattack and continue your combo. You can get some neat bonuses for doing that in the form of skills that restore TP, HP, and TC (think Xillia's AC, but it doesn't deplete from normal attacks) upon a successful guard counter. There's also another cool defensive option that lets dash through enemies by pressing guard and forward.

There are definitely things I miss about Hearts DS that I wish they would have brought back (a non-traditional world map, Sakuraba, Emotional Gauge, Combination Gauge and Combination Artes), and I hate how enemies recover in mid-air, but I'd argue that Hearts R is much better than it's made out to be.

Takao

Banned

How is that any different than when Shahid fields inquiries about Indie Game X? People sent him those in the hopes of getting them ported, and localized. Based on what Adam Boyes once said, it seems Sony might even localize the PSP builds (yikes) rather than go the full distance.

nampad

It's nice that they listened to their audience.
It's a shame their audience wanted this.

I don't know anything about this game and the hate isn't promising but you are right. It won the vote and if this is true they are trying to do what the people want.

Protag

Banned
Lol as if anyone here's negativity would stop me from getting day one if it did make it over here.

More Tales isna good thing, and it cant be that bad

Dice//

Banned
Hearts R models are an abomination.

tohr_002_thumb.jpg

UnchartedGoldenAbyssVista_620.jpg

Budget aside (obviously Uncharted is going in with a bit more behind it), but I really really really wished Tales games could add a filter or two to "glossy" over some of their bland graphics. What am I saying? Yes. I love bloom effects!

Rrrrrgh! I have tried to come to terms with the idea of this (and Innocence) never being localized in any way shape or form, but this makes me want to get my hopes up! I mean it's Tales! I can't help it! I want this! I need this! Please be true!
PLEASE!

Tohsaka

Rrrrrgh! I have tried to come to terms with the idea of this (and Innocence) never being localized in any way shape or form, but this makes me want to get my hopes up! I mean it's Tales! I can't help it! I want this! I need this! Please be true!
PLEASE!

There's a fan translation of the DS version of Tales of Innocence.

Eusis

tohr_002_thumb.jpg

UnchartedGoldenAbyssVista_620.jpg

Budget aside (obviously Uncharted is going in with a bit more behind it), but I really really really wished Tales games could add a filter or two to "glossy" over some of their bland graphics. What am I saying? Yes. I love bloom effects!
You could take screencaps of Persona 4 Golden and it might still come out ahead of ToH.

Shinriji

How is that any different than when Shahid fields inquiries about Indie Game X? People sent him those in the hopes of getting them ported, and localized. Based on what Adam Boyes once said, it seems Sony might even localize the PSP builds (yikes) rather than go the full distance.

If people actually believe that they will do that, they only have themselves to blame.

There's a fan translation of the DS version of Tales of Innocence.

I hate using emulators and roms, though. I'm a bit traditional in that I like playing official/legit versions of games I want/love. I'll always have hope that I'll one day get to play Innocence or any other unlocalized Tales games.

Videoneon

=\

Would've liked to try a localized DS version instead.

Up-port and localization of Rebirth? Please and thanks?

Well, Shahid did come through for Tales, the highest vote-getter. Just a shame that the game doesn't look great.

What's interesting to me though that Bamco is going all Tales crazy recently in the West. Tales is hitting the big time.

What's interesting to me though that Bamco is going all Tales crazy recently in the West. Tales is hitting the big time.

Namdai likely figured out they can make a decent profit (not huge numbers, but at least makes more than breaking even) off the core fan base (especially when they increase their bottom line with the CEs which don't cost them nearly as much as they sell them for).

khaaan

So I watched a few videos and the game doesn't look THAT bad. I see why people say it killed what the DS version had but it's not a deal breaker for me. Looking forward to this game, will probably buy day one.

Well I certainly wasn't too keen on the changes that were made to the game, but it's a Tales game so I'll probably end up liking it enough anyways.

Faustek

hmm, I have nothing against this. But to back to an older thread and your lost faith in Shahid
btw I don't think this has anything to do with Shahid and is more of a Namco wanting more money thing
but I hope you all realize that JRPGs are just a drop in the bucket, unfortunately.
FMC2014 that he helped come to fruition was effing fantastic, allowing cross save with the PC version? Effing Megaton.
Running around like everyone's bitch and trying to open up the PlayStation system to everyone? Thats effing fantastic.

Yepp, I would have loved to see results about 6 months before Shahid even mentioned the hash tag, I would love not to see so much exclusively Japanese content on the Vita, bring it over please.

But I'm not expecting that any company will be ready in 6-9 months from negotiations start to localization and presentation.

Come Fall and Winter and still no news? Yepp then screw it, I'll be punching llamas for being such horrible animals while sipping salty Beers and enduring the 3DS with it's better rpg library...after I finished Tales of heart R.

PS. Or I'll finally be able to play DQVII/VIII on my Vita through remote play if Sony doesn't mess that up by region locking the PS1/2 Emulation and not allowing remote play on older titles.

btw I don't think this has anything to do with Shahid and is more of a Namco wanting more money thing

I dunno, this is the same Namco that refused to release the Vita version of One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 in NA/EU despite going to the effort of localising the game, and somehow decided to make Dragon Ball Z on Vita a digital-only release in America so nobody would know it even existed. Namco doesn't give a shiiiiit about the Vita outside of Japan.

Tohsaka

I dunno, this is the same Namco that refused to release the Vita version of One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 in NA/EU despite going to the effort of localising the game, and somehow decided to make Dragon Ball Z on Vita a digital-only release in America so nobody would know it even existed. Namco doesn't give a shiiiiit about the Vita outside of Japan.

They're localizing the new One Piece game on Vita, though. It's even getting a physical release at GameStop.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That's cool, but... why Hearts and not Innocence?

I'll still buy it

Innocence isn't what you can call a good Tales game.

Just wondering about ToHR, if I've never played the original, will I still like this game?

ohlawd

I'm a Tales fan and I ain't buying this shit hahah.

Guessing the DS version isn't translated since there's no talk about it itt. I'd rather play that one.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like Tales games, but wouldn't drop more than $10 on this. Will wait for a fan translation on DS or just go without.

Neat, I passed on importing this one, but I'll definitely take an English version, especially if it has a full localization. I was disappointed to miss out on the DS one (not enough voice for me to fumble through it with my limited Japanese knowledge), and I'm all for having another thing to do on my Vita.

squall23

Innocence isn't what you can call a good Tales game.

Just wondering about ToHR, if I've never played the original, will I still like this game?
You'll like this game because you've never played the original DS version. If you did, you'd probably not like this remake very much.
whats peoples beef with ToH?

what makes it such a bad game?
No, it's not Hearts that people hate, it's Hearts R that people hate. I'm honestly surprised at the positive comments in regards to the DS version on GAF.

i'm conflicted ...on one hand it's cool tha the vita gets a Jrpg , on the other hand it's tales of hearts

i'd ...take it i guess ...

BadRNG

what makes it such a bad game?
Seems major complaint is from people who preferred the 2D DS version, and weren't happy with the conversion to 3D or the design choices involved with that shift. Judging from other responses/feedback, it sounds like a fairly well received game for those that never played the DS one.

I can't speak to the quality of either version but I do find it so very strange that people begging for localizations don't want this one based purely off the idea it is inferior to a different version they have never played. I can appreciate being skeptical and listening to impressions of those that have, but people are acting as if this is the worst Tales game ever and shouldn't be touched. At the least Dimentionalist's posts seems to point to there being more to it than being outright awful as some people are trying to claim it is.

Is the story worse in R?

The story is comparable and honestly more or less the same. There are some new story scenes, and some scenes from the original (maybe 2 or 3 by my count) were removed. However, there's a new, self-contained (and largely unresolved) subplot about something called a "Triverse" that
connects the worlds of Innocence, Hearts, and Tempest. One of the new characters in Hearts R, Galado, is from another world, presumably Tempest's or somewhere else. Rumors are that the Triverse lore is what will expand the criminally short (10-hour-long) Tales of the Tempest into a much larger game if it is ever remade.
. It's really shoved off to the side, though. Galado fits in surprisingly well with the rest of the cast, and Chalcedony's new role as a party character works rather well and makes sense within the plot.

BTW, here are some direct-feed, uncompressed screenshots from the game.

SCrXqZH.jpg

8G0AOls.jpg

CPX5jqH.jpg

ni6kSon.jpg

cAYLaEn.jpg

To be fair, a) I think Shahid and co. did also ask for PSP games, i.e. anything that could be played on a Vita, not just Vita games; b) while I'm sure lots of people would love to see Vita versions of those games, I'm also pretty sure that most just want to see those games localized in any form, PSP or Vita. I can't imagine there are many fans of those series who would turn up their nose at PSP versions with English translations.

BasilZero

Dat gap between release dates.

Would be great if it does come to the west, another game to add to my wishlist for the Vita!

Top Bottom