• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Tales of Hearts (R) Coming to the West

Stage On

Day 1 if true, I don't even have a Vita yet and this coming out would be a good reason for me to get one. Hopefully it'd sell well enough so that we get Innocence R as well

The story is comparable and honestly more or less the same. There are some new story scenes, and some scenes from the original (maybe 2 or 3 by my count) were removed. However, there's a new, self-contained (and largely unresolved) subplot about something called a "Triverse" that
connects the worlds of Innocence, Hearts, and Tempest. One of the new characters in Hearts R, Galado, is from another world, presumably Tempest's or somewhere else. Rumors are that the Triverse lore is what will expand the criminally short (10-hour-long) Tales of the Tempest into a much larger game if it is ever remade.
. It's really shoved off to the side, though. Galado fits in surprisingly well with the rest of the cast, and Chalcedony's new role as a party character works rather well and makes sense within the plot.

The triverse thing sounds shoehorned in. Not liking how that sounds. However since it doesn't seem to affect the main plot I'm down for this game. The original's team was the one that went on to make Xillia, right?

Asharakk

It is most probably the Vita version if any, makes no sense at all to release a DS version. Would LOVE to play this on Vita.

The triverse thing sounds shoehorned in. Not liking how that sounds. However since it doesn't seem to affect the main plot I'm down for this game. The original's team was the one that went on to make Xillia, right?

It shared a lot of staff members (can't remember off the top of my head who they were though). However I greatly prefer the original Tales of Hearts to Xillia. I prefer Hearts R to Xillia, as well. I didn't like the emptiness of the world map or the un-combo-able bosses. Story never hooked me, either.

Kasumin

Seems major complaint is from people who preferred the 2D DS version, and weren't happy with the conversion to 3D or the design choices involved with that shift. Judging from other responses/feedback, it sounds like a fairly well received game for those that never played the DS one.

I can't speak to the quality of either version but I do find it so very strange that people begging for localizations don't want this one based purely off the idea it is inferior to a different version they have never played. I can appreciate being skeptical and listening to impressions of those that have, but people are acting as if this is the worst Tales game ever and shouldn't be touched. At the least Dimentionalist's posts seems to point to there being more to it than being outright awful as some people are trying to claim it is.

The negativity in this thread is mind blowing and makes me worry for the future of the franchise in the West if a long shot like this is treated with such contempt based on what seem to be mostly second hand impressions.

I don't care if it's not the DS version. Honestly, from what I've heard from friends of mine who have played Hearts R rather intensively, the game is great on its own terms. It does some really great things battle system-wise that Xillia and Xillia 2 lacked. It loses some things from the DS version, sure, but it seems to have its own features to offer.

I wonder how many of the people insisting that ToHR is not worth playing have even played the Vita version, much less the demo. I couldn't care less if the game doesn't measure up to other Vita games graphically. Tales games have never been about pushing graphics like the Final Fantasy series, anyway. Graphics honestly don't really matter to me and the 3D models seem just fine from what I've seen in screenshots posted here and elsewhere.

As a Tales fan? I am stoked for a long shot localization like this. Just as stoked as I was for Graces f. I'm already planning on when to get my Vita for this.

Eusis

=\

Would've liked to try a localized DS version instead.

Up-port and localization of Rebirth? Please and thanks?

Well, Shahid did come through for Tales, the highest vote-getter. Just a shame that the game doesn't look great.

What's interesting to me though that Bamco is going all Tales crazy recently in the West. Tales is hitting the big time.
Wonder if it's a realignment of priorities? JRPGs typically don't do crazy well, but they DO have a stable base, whereas stuff like Inversion must've tanked bad, and if Enslaved was at all successful it must've been via positive word of mouth and an eventual Steam release. And with relatively few huge franchises, better to try to keep a hold on a stable one that's there.

Seems kind of a shame that Gundam's peak here was seemingly when most of the games were awful though, hearing good things about Vs makes me wish those were localized. Though they seem to be a licensing headache even with the same international publisher.

FSLink

Banned
The negativity in this thread is mind blowing and makes me worry for the future of the franchise in the West if a long shot like this is treated with such contempt based on what seem to be mostly second hand impressions.

I don't care if it's not the DS version. Honestly, from what I've heard from friends of mine who have played Hearts R rather intensively, the game is great on its own terms. It does some really great things battle system-wise that Xillia and Xillia 2 lacked. It loses some things from the DS version, sure, but it seems to have its own features to offer.

I wonder how many of the people insisting that ToHR is not worth playing have even played the Vita version, much less the demo. I couldn't care less if the game doesn't measure up to other Vita games. Graphics honestly don't really matter to me and the 3D models seem just fine from what I've seen in screenshots posted here and elsewhere.

As a Tales fan? I am stoked for a long shot localization like this. Just as stoked as I was for Graces. I'm already planning on when to get my Vita for this.

I think most people's gripes is that they'd rather get a different Tales game than a mediocre, although playable remake. Of course ideally we'd just get everything...

Plus it's not likely if this came out here it'd sell very well. :/

Kasumin

I think most people's gripes is that they'd rather get a different Tales game than a mediocre, although playable remake. Of course ideally we'd just get everything...

I can only go off second-hand impressions myself, but my friends, who're pretty picky about Tales games in general (especially mechanics-wise), gave Hearts R a fair amount of praise. I don't get where the "mediocre" comes from aside from the graphics. Battle system seems to be subjective.

We can't get everything. I'm just happy to get whatever we get. And this is a new game that I haven't played before.

That can be said for Innocence R. And why would Namco release Innocence or Hearts for DS right now when the 3DS is on the market?

Rpgmonkey

I think Innocence R was kinda liked by the few people that bothered to buy it, if nothing else it was an improvement over the very mediocre DS version, but I doubt it did much to give Innocence more "respect". Looking around, the reception to Hearts R has been noticeably more mixed, negative, or absent.

I can only assume that a remake of Innocence had people interested because the original was already a pretty poor outsourced game, but doing a similarly cheap-looking remake for Hearts was appealing to barely anyone outside of the usual groups that will buy anything like super hardcore Tales fans and people who really wanted a more standard RPG on the Vita, as the DS version got a decent reception and for a few reasons a remake of it would have higher expectations. I kinda think its biggest issue is that Hearts is too big for what they attempted with what seems like a short dev time and a low budget, judging by the frequent complaints about story and character elements being changed, completely missing, or not having the same impact, but the battle system isn't really among the biggest complaints.

Faustek

I dunno, this is the same Namco that refused to release the Vita version of One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 in NA/EU despite going to the effort of localising the game, and somehow decided to make Dragon Ball Z on Vita a digital-only release in America so nobody would know it even existed. Namco doesn't give a shiiiiit about the Vita outside of Japan.

Well those are all true but this is the same Namco that is effing Stupid and Brilliant at the same Time.

Ranko!! Short Peace - Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day. And with a pre order incentive for free, I know this might be standard in the states and wherever but I have never seen that in Sweden. If that would happen the retailer always slaps on a extra fee.

Dark Souls - it speaks for itself. Doesn't it Sony?

But on the Vita? Yepp, not much love there but at least we got a physical release on Vita and from what I can see it sold out on one of the bigger sellers online here in Sweden. Many still carry it though.

Touch My Katamari, physical as well...I can't see why, sure I love the game but come on! I can't see that selling well at all.

So yeah, Namco is really weird. Effing weird really.

In other words, Namco, Hurry up with getting Level-5 and Studio Ghibli to make a game for Vita/PS3/4. I want it in 2 months please, thanks bye.

To be fair, a) I think Shahid and co. did also ask for PSP games, i.e. anything that could be played on a Vita, not just Vita games; b) while I'm sure lots of people would love to see Vita versions of those games, I'm also pretty sure that most just want to see those games localized in any form, PSP or Vita. I can't imagine there are many fans of those series who would turn up their nose at PSP versions with English translations.

Yepp, they asked for ANYTHING, even got Ben taking a look at Playism and their Japanese to English publications and Japanese only. What I got from it was a bit of excitement and gigglegooes as he refused to say anything else than that it looked good.

Seriously think Shahid, perhaps his team as well, take the Vita very personal. At least that's what I get from the communication with them.

Wonder if it's a realignment of priorities? JRPGs typically don't do crazy well, but they DO have a stable base, whereas stuff like Inversion must've tanked bad, and if Enslaved was at all successful it must've been via positive word of mouth and an eventual Steam release. And with relatively few huge franchises, better to try to keep a hold on a stable one that's there.

Seems kind of a shame that Gundam's peak here was seemingly when most of the games were awful though, hearing good things about Vs makes me wish those were localized. Though they seem to be a licensing headache even with the same international publisher.

A stable base equals stable money. I wonder if when we'll be getting slogged with RPGs due to Bravely Defaults "success". Can't wait for it to happen
Everyone expecting 300k to 1m sales. Not much to speak of when it comes to marketing. A few games totally bombs and nearly everything missing their expectations and we're back to getting nothing even if the games broke even and perhaps even made them enough to actually see a surplus.

Best case scenario they stay on the PS3.
Worst case scenario, they stay on the 3DS(I seriously hate region locking and playing with the god-awful 3DS controller it hurts in my soul, plus the Tomodachi fiasco are very against my principles) and are all ports of mobile games.

While this could be the localisation project, considering how pro localisation Namco Bandai have been recently I'd say more likely them than Sony.

Then perhaps they need to establish connection to reality.

Namco released every new Tales of game for PS3 in west since Graces f

That means the only modern Tales of.. games without localisation are Vita remakes and Vesperia PS3- everything else is on long dead platforms and is years old.

Since Namco isn't touching Vesperia despite finding success with later games then it should be obvious there's some problem - likely legal one with Microsoft funding game for x360 first.

Considering this is Shahid #jrpg probably then there's Sony support involved.

Which means only game which could have been released instead would be Tales of ios remakes.

Ugh don't even remind me of last E3.
We have a big title to reveal God of War 1 and 2 HD!
*crickets*
They may mention it again this year. "Hey guys ! Do you know that God of War 1 and 2 HD was just release last month? Yup Vita owners can play it right now!!!! Gamers enjoying the games will like to know about the future of God of war on PS4..........."

They may mention it again this year. "Hey guys ! Do you know that God of War 1 and 2 HD was just release last month? Yup Vita owners can play it right now!!!! Gamers enjoying the games will like to know about the future of God of war on PS4..........."

There's one more GoW collection to be ported :D

t26

We actually got 2 Gundam VS games localized for PS2.

Faustek

Then perhaps they need to establish connection to reality.

Namco released every new Tales of game for PS3 in west since Graces f

That means the only modern Tales of.. games without localisation are Vita remakes and Vesperia PS3- everything else is on long dead platforms and is years old.

Since Namco isn't touching Vesperia despite finding success with later games then it should be obvious there's some problem - likely legal one with Microsoft funding game for x360 first.

Considering this is Shahid #jrpg probably then there's Sony support involved.

Which means only game which could have been released instead would be Tales of ios remakes.

Wait what? MS really did found Vesperia? And paid for the PS3 version not to be localized outside of Japan? Well I can see scenario 2. I can even see how they moneyhatted one year exclusivity but funding an entire game and owning all rights to it for 6 years? Refusing to release it in Europe and basically killing of that one game? That sounds like a really stupid thing to agree on.

Despite all the negativity, I'll buy a Vita in a heartbeat it this turns out to be true.

You should buy one now. You need to get used to your Vita. It needs to get used to you as well. There is a process, only the initiated ones know about. Buy it before this becomes a reality so you are ready to experience it in full with your Vita.

EDIT:

Btw, Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke 2 and Freedom Wars. Does these count as support? I myself think they look good, both of them but I can see how many would see it as to little to late even if both got announced right now for localization.

FSLink

Banned
The Vesperia thing is mostly likely due to timing/localization resources. Plus it's not like they just added a few Mystic Artes, they'd have to bring back the voice cast to voice a decent chunk of lines. I really don't think Microsoft had much to do with it. Just move on.

I can only go off second-hand impressions myself, but my friends, who're pretty picky about Tales games in general (especially mechanics-wise), gave Hearts R a fair amount of praise. I don't get where the "mediocre" comes from aside from the graphics. Battle system seems to be subjective.

We can't get everything. I'm just happy to get whatever we get. And this is a new game that I haven't played before.

That can be said for Innocence R. And why would Namco release Innocence or Hearts for DS right now when the 3DS is on the market?

Gameplay wise it's standard Tales with some neat things it does on its own. It's a good game, a mediocre remake. Compared to remakes like Narikiri Dungeon X/Destiny Remake, it's pretty abysmal, and I think most fans of the series feels Hearts deserves better than that being one of the better games in the series. It at least didn't deserve to be an outsourced rushed Vita remake.

Personally I want Innocence R and Hearts R localized, since they're pretty fun despite their issues, but realistically the Vita's doing pretty badly so I'm not surprised they haven't made it over (yet?).

Wait what? MS really did found Vesperia? And paid for the PS3 version not to be localized outside of Japan? Well I can see scenario 2. I can even see how they moneyhatted one year exclusivity but funding an entire game and owning all rights to it for 6 years? Refusing to release it in Europe and basically killing of that one game? That sounds like a really stupid thing to agree on.

Noone outside of both companies knows what is in the agreement.

But PS3 was already selling well in 2009 when ToV PS3 was released in Japan and most of translation was done so there has to be something that blocks release in west.

Ozigizo

It always seems that the 1/1/xx are generally placeholder dates for the entire year. That said, I dunno how I feel about this. It's really hard for me to get hyped for a tales game anymore.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Would be great, I'd love to finally play the game in English and understand the story.
The game's great, I don't get some people's hate for it, why would anyone playing the English version even care if the very different DS version is better for you guys? That's not gonna get localized anymore. But on its own Hearts R is a good game and the new battle system is a lot of fun.
Can't say much about the characters obviously, but I liked the skit art as you can see by my avatar.

Would be niced if they also localized Innocence R, though it's a bit more barebones and the battle system would be a step back if it's released after Hearts R, but its music is soo much better.

Faustek

But PS3 was already selling well in 2009 when ToV PS3 was released in Japan and most of translation was done so there has to be something that blocks release in west.

So annoying. I bought a Xbox 360, it RRed on me, got another. Never touched it, lent it to a friend no clue where it is now and 3 games, yepp only 3 rpgs that interest me there doesn't justify another purchase.

Would be great, I'd love to finally play the game in English and understand the story.
The game's great, I don't get some people's hate for it, why would anyone playing the English version even care if the very different DS version is better for you guys? That's not gonna get localized anymore. But on its own Hearts R is a good game and the new battle system is a lot of fun.
Can't say much about the characters obviously, but I liked the skit art as you can see by my avatar.

Would be niced if they also localized Innocence R, though it's a bit more barebones and the battle system would be a step back if it's released after Hearts R, but its music is soo much better.

Just hope that this maybe pushes Koei to localize and release their Vita versions faster. Oh and ladies and Gentlemen, buy a Vita.

t26

There are many new text and voice acting they would have to translate. Vesperia PS3 is not a quick and easy port like other Xbox 360 RPGs.

As a Tales fan? I am stoked for a long shot localization like this. Just as stoked as I was for Graces f. I'm already planning on when to get my Vita for this.

I agree completely. Yes, I still know what happened in the past and I don't like it and I never will, and I know there was negativity in so many forums over the years. I also know that I don't make the best posts at times either and I was part of that negativity at times in the past.

This said, Namco is stepping up and I honestly actually care about something Tales-related for once since Graces F (assuming we get this of course). If Ys: Celceta can do well within reason, then this can too but constant negative word-of-mouth certainly won't help.

If I wanted to be negative about the Tales series, it would be about how the average quality has gone down but that's not important right now.

RalchAC

I played the superior Tales of Hearts, much rather have Innocence R which seems to be superior to the DS version.

Innocence for the NDS has a fan-translation already released iirc. Hearts doesn't. So we're getting the game we can't play in English in any way.

The conversion to 3D which looks terrible. The combat works but it doesnt hold a candle to the original and it loses the charm overall with the mediocre low budget conversion.

We're not getting the original. Most people doesn't know Japanese so they won't be able to play the original. So it's better than nothing. I'll sure buy it since I won't be able to understand the original.

Xiul

Great, I liked both versions of hearths and I had alredy lost hope that they bring this one over.
Will be preordering this the day I can.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I just watched some gameplay and it didn't look that bad as some of you are making, pure exaggeration. DS version is probably better but the Vita gameplay I saw was pretty alright and the combat system looked nice.

a745

If this is true, I can't wait to see how they're going to handle name translations. This is one of the games with a lot of debate about names, specifically Kohaku and Hisui's.

mao2

smh Shahid, this is the surprise? LMAO
Why the SMH? Shahid's just working to get more games on Vita, and it's not his fault that TOHR is the inferior version or if you're not interested. Besides, people who haven't played the DS version may still enjoy this game.

FSLink

Banned
If this is true, I can't wait to see how they're going to handle name translations. This is one of the games with a lot of debate about names, specifically Kohaku and Hisui's.

Yeah, would be pretty interesting if they keep the names they used in Graces f's Carta minigame.

Faustek

Btw everyone saying TOHR sucks, I reckon it's the Vita version you played? Not the iOS version because if you are basing your opinions on that version...well just go home and think really hard about the differences between a dedicated handheld and iPhone.

On the other hand if it is the Vita version, what was it? Other than it's in 3D. Specifics please, never really cared about the game since I can't stomach having my nose in a "Lexicon" instead of the game and now with an English release I'm actually looking forward to it.

FSLink

Banned
Specifics please, never really cared about the game since I can't stomach having my nose in a "Lexicon" instead of the game and now with an English release I'm actually looking forward to it.

I know there was apparently some story changes that people weren't fond of, not too sure on the specifics. From a gameplay standpoint I know they removed a lot of Amber's and other characters' unique artes/spells from the original, and I know most people here aren't fond of Xillia's battle system over a CC battle system (Hearts DS used EG which is similar to CC, Hearts Vita's is basically Xillia's + Innocence R's put together). Removal of Hearts DS' assists is pretty lame too.

They also added the Chase system which is actually really interesting and a system I hope they bring back in future entries.

Faustek

I know there was apparently some story changes that people weren't fond of, not too sure on the specifics. From a gameplay standpoint I know they removed a lot of Amber's and other characters' unique artes/spells from the original, and I know most people here aren't fond of Xillia's battle system over a CC battle system (Hearts DS used EG which is similar to CC, Hearts Vita's is basically Xillia's + Innocence R's put together). Removal of Hearts DS' assists is pretty lame too.

They also added the Chase system which is actually really interesting and a system I hope they bring back in future entries.

hmm, well that sucks but to be perfectly honest, the Xillia grew on me so I think I can deal.
Actually, who am I kidding? It's a Tales game, I'll buy it even if I don't have time to play it.

Makes sense that they would bring Tales of Hearts over.
I remember Hideo Baba saying he wanted western players to experience it.

In this interview:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/12/tales-producer-says-you-should-play-tales-of-hearts/

Baba is awesome but one should remember that a person in his position saying that doesn't really mean anything. Remember all those times Shu said he really wanted to bring over a Japanese only game? Only because the will from a single person is there it doesn't mean it'll happen.

Soriku

This is unlikely considering the other 360 --> PS3 ports that have come stateside like Eternal Sonata also from Namco and Star Ocean 4.

Baba more or less confirmed it was an issue of timing too:

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/interview-tales-producer-hideo-baba-on-tales-of-xillia-more

— Recently, in Japan, you released Tales of Innocence R for PlayStation Vita, and in 2009, Tales of Vesperia for PlayStation 3. Are there still chances for these titles to come stateside?

Baba: The Tales series team is always working mainly on development of the new titles. Because the number of staff members are limited, the main focus is creating a new title, like Xillia or Xillia 2. So the number of titles which can be localized for western countries is limited, unfortunately.

— Can you, at least, officially shut down a possible localization for Tales of Vesperia on PlayStation 3? There may still be fans holding back importing.

Baba: This is no official announcement that [localization of] the PlayStation 3 version is shut down. Of course, there is the still the possibility. But I don’t have any plans or an official announcement about the localization of the PlayStation 3 version of Vesperia, as of now.

The whole "MS paid for Vesperia's localizaiton, hence it can't come over" is similar to people who used to say "Symphonia Chronicles won't come over because Nintendo paid for the script" (which I don't think was true, but either way we know what happened there).

FSLink

Banned
hmm, well that sucks but to be perfectly honest, the Xillia grew on me so I think I can deal.
Actually, who am I kidding? It's a Tales game, I'll buy it even if I don't have time to play it.

Like I said, people seem to think it's a decent game, but just a bad remake. Stiff animations/bad 3D models, random battles when the DS game didn't have them, loss of EG (which was basically Grace's/Destiny remake's Chain Capacity and Rebirth's Rush Gauge combined), loss of Connect Panels (call in reserve party members/cameo party members as assist attacks) over a rehashed Xillia battle system...which although fun is pretty disappointing.

I'll probably buy if it's localized but eh. It's not a remake to be excited about. At least it's new for most people here.

The whole "MS paid for Vesperia's localizaiton, hence it can't come over" is similar to people who used to say "Symphonia Chronicles won't come over because Nintendo paid for the script" (which I don't think was true, but either way we know what happened there).

Yeah, it's just a bad rumor. It's pretty obvious from interviews and the way releases lined up that it was a timing issue/resources issue. Vesperia had a lot of newly voiced content too so they'd also have to coordinate that on top of localizing all the new text. I think we'll just have to wait for a port of Vesperia sometime down the line, or for the fan translation to be completed.

Jathaine

I was under this mindset until the day the game came out. The demo was awful and as a fan of cel-shading, I was more than a little let down with the choice of graphical style. Then I sat down and played it for a few hours, and thought "okay, better than I thought, but still not what I'd want." The fact that they had another artist remix Sakuraba's own tracks didn't help matters.

However, I started to realize some of the smart fixes they've made to the game.

The original Hearts is notorious for being spammy. Shing gets an Arte called Shouseijin (no localized name yet from other Tales AFAIK) that deals good damage and knocks the enemy high into the air. It's possible to get an enemy to the top of the screen simply by repeating the Arte over and over again: by the end of the game, you'd be able to use the Arte up to 15 to 20 times in succession. In R, if you want to deal damage, you'll have to vary your combos.

Hearts R significantly reduces Arte damage output if you use the same move over and over again. Stunlocked enemies will also occasionally turn red and counterattack. When they do that, if you hit the guard button with perfect timing, you'll counterattack and continue your combo. You can get some neat bonuses for doing that in the form of skills that restore TP, HP, and TC (think Xillia's AC, but it doesn't deplete from normal attacks) upon a successful guard counter. There's also another cool defensive option that lets dash through enemies by pressing guard and forward.

There are definitely things I miss about Hearts DS that I wish they would have brought back (a non-traditional world map, Sakuraba, Emotional Gauge, Combination Gauge and Combination Artes), and I hate how enemies recover in mid-air, but I'd argue that Hearts R is much better than it's made out to be.

Thanks for some actual details on the combat system, I honestly think this sounds like it'd be more up my alley than the original.
The Tales fanbase at large rarely seems to enjoy RPGs with any semblance of balance (boy do they love the spammy ones) so I don't tend to have the same sort of opinions as most do on which games have good/fun battle systems.

I think I'll go ahead and pick this one up, should be fun.

FSLink

Banned
Thanks for some actual details on the combat system, I honestly think this sounds like it'd be more up my alley than the original.
The Tales fanbase at large rarely seems to enjoy RPGs with any semblance of balance (boy do they love the spammy ones) so I don't tend to have the same sort of opinions as most do on which games have good/fun battle systems.

I think I'll go ahead and pick this one up, should be fun.

I personally thought Hearts DS was pretty spammy (which is part of the reasons why I don't consider it in my favorite Tales of games even though it's a solid game), and I'm sure others did here too. It's just disappointing they didn't build upon that instead of rehashing Innocence/Xillia's battle system.
It's still fun, I mean unless you screw up the battle system like Tempest, or make it boring like late-game Legendia (HP sponges ahoy), Tales battle systems are a blast to play.

I really feel they should have just made Symphonia R and used this battle system with the Chase system, and then make a full Hearts remake on a console instead of this meh remake and that meh HD port. But I suppose that'd be too much effort.

Faustek

To be honest I'm glad it isn't for 3DS. Don't know why but nearly all my RPG gaming is done on handhelds. I've come to prefer it that way since the Vita. Whereas the 3DS is such a bad piece of equipment to play on, I hate the "controller" couldn't care less about the graphics...kinda. So even if it was the spammy DS perfectly remade I would have gladly bought it on the Vita. I love that D-pad as well as the sticks. Plus the sound is better even if I decide to analog that sucker.

Anyway, not here to bash on the 3DS.. even though I hated what had happened with Abyss, first game I picked up and haven't managed to play more than a few hours :(... Just saying I'm actually a bit excited for this...now lets hope the rumor is true.

Asharakk

I can't understand all the negativity either, as a Tales fan that doesn't know Japanese it would be terrific to get to play it at all.

Will be a day 1 for me. It may not be perfect, but I really want to be able to play it in english. Plus Vita is preferable to DS/3DS in almost all cases for me personally.

When they first announced Tales of Hearts R being remade in 3D instead of doing a Tales of Destiny'esque battle system, I was pretty irked. But now that the game's already been made and nothing can really be done about it, I think im cool with it being released on the Vita so that it can be played in the West in some form. It's not like the DS version is going to get an official release at this point anyways.

I just hope that the crew that's working on the Tales of Hearts DS patch doesn't call it quits because of this. Normally I'm all for when a group does that to support the official release, but (as people in this thread have made clear), the differences between the Vita and DS versions are way more than a port job/hd remastering. I'd love to be able to experience both in my native language.

Maybe localize both? Iirc they were also some other DS RPGs that were now just localized for 3DS (Inazuma, some SMT...)
I'd like a 2D Tales. :(

Top Bottom