• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: "Untitled Spiderman PS4 Project" incoming

Neoxon

Have we ascertained who has the Spiderman license for videogames? some saying activision still have it, some saying activision until 2014.

The fact that spiderman used to be a near annual release, and there hasn't been one since 2014 TASM2 suggests activision don't.
The contract apparently expires next year.

TimFL

Have we ascertained who has the Spiderman license for videogames? some saying activision still have it, some saying activision until 2014.

The fact that spiderman used to be an annual release, and there hasn't been one since 2014 TASM2 suggests activision don't.

Activision lost the general spidey game rights (the "keys to the kingdom" that allow you to craft your own stories etc) in 2014 I think, Marvel/Disney has them again.
The only thing they have left is the movie tie-in license that expires at the end of 2017.

Beenox confirmed they are no longer working on Spidey games so could be that Activision just sits on the license (or gave it back whatever).

Does it really seem plausible that one of the biggest superhero products in the world would be a console exclusive?

I'm excited like most folks, but I have some serious doubts about this.

Neoxon

Would be cool if Sucker Punch gets to Arkham this.
But unless Activision renews their license, it may be Sucker Punch's only chance at a Spider-Man game.

It's a shame that PlatinumGames won't have a chance before the contract expires, but I have faith in Sucker Punch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Just bring back Spiderman 2 swinging. Please. Can't believe swinging was done so perfectly once and then changed for the worse with every single iteration that followed.

whoever coded the physics for that game is a god damned genius

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But unless Activision renews their license, it may be Sucker Punch's only chance at a Spider-Man game.

It's a shame that PlatinumGames won't have a chance before the contract expires, but I have faith in Sucker Punch.
Activision wont renew, Disney is working to get all Marvel related Licences back for years now, Spider-Man was the only one left.

TimFL

Activision wont renew, Disney is working to get all Marvel related Licences back for years now, Spider-Man was the only one left.

They got the Spidey game license back already? It's just the Sony Pictures movie tie-in license that is left at Activision. I don't see how that is of any interest to Disney since they have the real 100% game license that allows them to tell any story they want.

Neoxon

They got the Spidey game license back already? It's just the Sony Pictures movie tie-in license that is left at Activision. I don't see how that is of any interest to Disney since they have the real 100% game license that allows them to tell any story they want.
Sony gave Activision the Spider-Man license when they had the merchandising rights to Spidey. When Marvel regained said merchandising rights, Marvel had to honor Sony's prior contractual obligations.

Activision lost the general spidey game rights (the "keys to the kingdom" that allow you to craft your own stories etc) in 2014 I think, Marvel/Disney has them again.
The only thing they have left is the movie tie-in license that expires at the end of 2017.

Beenox confirmed they are no longer working on Spidey games so could be that Activision just sits on the license (or gave it back whatever).

Gotchya, so Marvel/Disney could have made a deal with Sony(playstation) for a "general" non movie tie in Spiderman game?

If it was sony dealing with activision, it'd be a nonsense for it to be exclusive, but with Disneys good relationship with Playstation, and the whole Spidey movie character deal between Sony pictures and Disney, its at least plausible, however unlikely.

Definitely interested if it's Sucker Punch developed (or any Sony 1st party).

And I completely disagree with the people who crave Platinum. I'm playing through Transformers Devastation. It's... Ok at best.

schaft0620

I loved ASM2 on PS4, hopefully this isn't a Tales from Spiderman game.

All Platinum licensed games sucked, no idea why anyone would want them in this one too.

WAT

sudu6TT.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
All Platinum licensed games sucked, no idea why anyone would want them in this one too.
Simple for me: better to waste Platinum talent on this Spiderman crap than Sucker Punch. I'd much rather have Sucker Punch work on a new IP or Second Son 2.

Khasim

I just found a GameCube copy of SM2 online and bought it. Playing it on Dolphin is awesome. I don't even care if another comes out and is absolute shit, but expands on the swinging. Same reason I still occasionally launch the Ubisoft Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed games. Traversal can be just so damn satisfying.

I cannot think of one from recent years, no. Licenses like these typically have to launch on as many platforms as possible to maximise profit.

Makes no sense for Marvel to license this as an exclusive. Disney released Infinity on apple tv and android. At the very least they would want a steam and XBO version, like Battlefront. The only way I can see Disney licensing this as an exclusive is either a shitload of money was paid or as part of the 2015 movie deal, to either put an expiration date on sony's movie rights or something that helps marvel get the rights completely back. I have always thought has more to it than meets the eye as that was way too sony sided.

I don't see it happening cause they, afaik, start filming in august if I'm correct.

A good Spidey game will sell, regardless of platform. The mediocre TASM2 game sold a million copies. I just want a good open world Spidey game already, I don't care if it's exclusive to PS4 or WiiU or whatever... I'll buy the console just for that sweet web swinging experience.

From Marvel's side, they would rather get royalties from 7 million sold games across 3 platforms as opposed to 5 million sold on 1. The other side of the coin is when has one of SCEWWS developed an IP that Sony does not own the copyrights to? I can only remember back to the crash days.

So Activision is gonna squeeze out one last Spidey game for Spider-Man: Homecoming before their contract expires. Hopefully it turns out good.

The contract apparently expires next year.

Sony gave Activision the Spider-Man license when they had the merchandising rights to Spidey. When Marvel regained said merchandising rights, Marvel had to honor Sony's prior contractual obligations.

I mentioned this in the XMen thread, so I'll copy and paste here. I see nothing about activision still having spiderman movie tie in license rights.

I think Activision's deal with Marvel expired, including spiderman

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...gnal-end-of-production-for-actis-marvel-games

Activision has ceased production of all of its Marvel titles after the company's licence with the comic book publisher expired. Titles affected include Deadpool and various Spider-Man games.

Do you have a source saying the deal was originally signed with Sony? That doesn't make sense. Based on the leaked documents and what we know, Sony can't sublicense or resell the movie rights to spiderman without Marvel.

TimFL

I mentioned this in the XMen thread, so I'll copy and paste here. I see nothing about activision still having spiderman movie tie in license rights.

I think Activision's deal with Marvel expired, including spiderman

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...gnal-end-of-production-for-actis-marvel-games

Do you have a source saying the deal was originally signed with Sony? That doesn't make sense. Based on the leaked documents and what we know, Sony can't sublicense or resell the movie rights to spiderman without Marvel.

http://investor.activision.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?releaseid=180674

If nothing changed they do have the tie-in rights through 2017. Only thing we know for sure is that they lost the rights to do general comic book games.

From Marvel's side, they would rather get royalties from 7 million sold games across 3 platforms as opposed to 5 million sold on 1. The other side of the coin is when has one of SCEWWS developed an IP that Sony does not own the copyrights to? I can only remember back to the crash days.

Even back in Crash days. Naughty Dog wasn't part of Sony WWS until Jack and Daxter.

Floody

The MLB games? Not really sure how the sports licence stuff work, but I guess it'd be similar to how that works if it is a Sony studio developing it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Homecoming? I guess we won't be playing it until summer 2017 then.

I'm okay with that I guess. I hope it has the graphics of infamous. Or even better, developed by sucker punch.

est1992

My hype level is pretty high, but will quickly diminish if I find out that it's VR. Nothing against you all that love it, it just wasn't ever something that I was interested in.

TimFL

The actor deleted the 3D scan picture from his instagram. I mean that's just too much damage control, isn't it? CV going private, picture removed from instagram?

There has to be some weight to all of this?

The actor deleted the 3D scan picture from his instagram. I mean that's just too much damage control, isn't it? CV going private, picture removed from instagram?

There has to be some weight to all of this?

I'm sure there is.

I just hope it's not SuckerPunch. Doing a licensed product seems so naff.

I don't mind if they do a new IP, but I just really love their games and I don't want them to be beholden creatively to a license. Especially if it's a movie tie in.

Top Bottom