• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: "Untitled Spiderman PS4 Project" incoming

TimFL

Fanboy Dreaming Here; Just Dreaming Up my Dream Spiderman Game

Cool ideas. I love the L2/R2 swinging idea. Pressing both (or one after the other) should give you dual weblines. I also think that we need more fine control over the web shots. Never got why none of the games allowed us to web a mobs face for a stun or web the hand of a mob to a structure.

In terms of story I want them to go a more "another day in the life of Spider-Man" style. I'm tired of the apocalypse storylines almost every single game had the last few years (WoS with the symbiotes, TASM1 with the robots causing mayhem etc). Why can't we get one with a slower narrative. You could add slow missions (like TLoU Left Behind, immersive Peter Parker ones) that add contrast to the high speed chase of the, for example, Vulture.

Heck I wouldn't even mind if the story wasn't THAT long or over the top if they focused on the side missions (they need a lot of variety cause that's what we'll eventually end up playing the most).

I just don't get how no one came close to a really good Spidey game (I have to say that TASM1 was a step in the right direction). I remember writing up a lengthy post containing ideas on how to improve with TASM2 and the kicker is: Beenox listened and added most of them... although in a twisted/unpolished way. Peter Parker gameplay was added, L2/R2 webswinging etc.

One day the Spidey fans will get the game they deserve... wont we? Believe.

A Spider-Man game by Sucker Punch revealed at this year's E3.

giphy.gif

delSai

Oh man... a new, possibly good Spidey game would be amazing. If that's real, Ps4 is goin' to be a pretty good place for Superhero Game fans, especially with Gravity Rush 2 on the way as well.

This best not be by Sucker Punch. They can't be wasted like this.

Infamous: Second Son was a game with a protagonist who could crack a joke, move fast and climb every building you could see. So, a Spider-Man game could be a really good progress from a very good game.

It could be some kind of "VR" experience that Sony's making, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be a big budget, blockbuster game.

delSai

Eh, not seeing how they're being "wasted". They get to work on this insanely popular Comic IP, that should be a good thing.

It could be some kind of "VR" experience that Sony's making, right? It doesn't necessarily have to be a big budget, blockbuster game.

Of course it could be a VR thing. But i hope it's not lol.

This would be really cool if true. It's been really disappointing with the peaking of superheros in movies and popular culture we haven't gotten more good AAA super hero games.

TimFL

I don't see how that would work without dumbing down the experience. Spidey is all about swinging and fast movement. They could probably do some on-rails shooter where you web up enemies I guess... ?

I don't see how that would work without dumbing down the experience. Spidey is all about swinging and fast movement. They could probably do some on-rails shooter where you web up enemies I guess... ?

Oh I agree, I'm not sure it would be very good. But I guess Sony's already done VR tie-in experiences for movies; I believe it made one for The Walk. With all of the "high-rise" action, I guess a Spider-Man type "experience" could be effective in VR.

The idea of a Sucker Punch developed Spider-Man game sounds really compelling, but I just can't see it happening, sadly.

KORNdoggy

It had better have the good swinging.

that seems a given. combat i worry about since no-one seems to be able to get it right. but mainly i just want a compelling game. i want good context behind the combat scenarios. i want a good, well fleshed out story with good voice work.

i mean, as good as spider-man 2's web swinging was...it's literally the only good thing about it. encounters were meaningless and boring, story was shit, voice work was terrible. the world was uninteresting and empty.

it's an uphill struggle for whoever is potentially making this.

TimFL

The idea of a Sucker Punch developed Spider-Man game sounds really compelling, but I just can't see it happening, sadly.

The traversal mechanics would, without a doubt, be excellent. My only fear is that they shit the bed with everything else. Spidey games need top tier side missions (inFAMOUS quests are dull) and a good map with loads of detail (here again not that good, 2nd Son was really repetitive in terms of variety). Stories have always been bad in Spidey games because they want to go over-the-top apocalypse style instead of focusing on a tighter, more intimate story. The ultimate Spidey game imo focuses on both Spidey and Peter. Have Left Behind DLC moments as Peter (take pics at an event which leads up to e.g. Black Cat stealing something) in contrast to the high velocity missions as Spidey.

The most important thing is the web swinging though... so if they nail that they might just get away with everything else being mediocre.

FelipeMGM

Was there ever a license super heroes game an exclusive? Biggest question mark of this rumor.

Sure, Spider Man 2: Enter Electro was only released on Playstation. There are prob a bunch of it the NES SNES and PS1 era, if we go into portable devices we will find a lot of cases as well.

Remember that ''exclusive'' has a very wide definiton when it comes to games

spiderman homecoming teaser, with footage of the new spiderman game would be smart of them to do at e3
(even if it is not necessarily a spiderman movie tie-in game)

but spe would have to play ball which i dont see happening

TimFL

spiderman homecoming teaser, with footage of the new spiderman game would be smart of them to do at e3
(even if it is not necessarily a spiderman movie tie-in game)

but spe would have to play ball which i dont see happening

I don't see it happening cause they, afaik, start filming in august if I'm correct.

I cannot think of one from recent years, no. Licenses like these typically have to launch on as many platforms as possible to maximise profit.

A good Spidey game will sell, regardless of platform. The mediocre TASM2 game sold a million copies. I just want a good open world Spidey game already, I don't care if it's exclusive to PS4 or WiiU or whatever... I'll buy the console just for that sweet web swinging experience.

Neoxon

So Activision is gonna squeeze out one last Spidey game for Spider-Man: Homecoming before their contract expires. Hopefully it turns out good.

Trilobit

You're right, they need to make another Sly-game!

Joking aside, I feel that Sucker Punch would be able to lift a Spider-Man game to new heights as long as it's not a "standard make-it-in-a-year-for-quick-cash-grab".

I really hope it's not Sucker Punch. Because I like their unique take on super heroes. Only thing Sucker Punch needs to do is either improve or get rid of their morality system.

Have we ascertained who has the Spiderman license for videogames? some saying activision still have it, some saying activision until 2014.

The fact that spiderman used to be a near annual release, and there hasn't been one since 2014 TASM2 suggests activision don't.

Top Bottom