• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: WB eyeing Justin Lin to direct "Akira"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Journalist Jeff Snieder revealed in the latest Meet the Movie Press, “It seems that Warner Bros are courting Justin Lin of ‘Star Trek Beyond’ to direct ‘Akira.’”

Reportedly a script has been completed by Marco Ramirez (showrunner on Marvel’s TV series ‘Daredevil’), and Leonardo DiCaprio - once cited as a potential star - is on board as producer.

While Snieder says there is “no word on whether Justin Lin wants to do the movie,” it is noted that the director (also responsible for ‘Fast & Furious’ 3 to 6) is attached to another Warner Bros property, ‘Space Jam 2,’ so he’s clearly held in good stead at the studio.

The 1988 animated movie from director Katsuhiro Otomo (adapted from his own Manga series) has long been one of the most highly regarded and influential anime movies.
https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/justin-lin-eyed-to-direct-live-action-akira-162742033.html

stopitsalreadydead.gif

My name is Kaneda Washington Sawyer Finn Bush Cheney Pamela Anderson Lee if old.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I can't think of any sane person wanting this.

Hopefully it not only leads to Lin casting Japanese or Japanese-American actors and setting the film in Japan, but his leaving Space Jam 2.

I'm a hopeful guy

Y'know, given the recent uproar over Asian American casting or lack thereof, is it possible Hollywood may actually take a chance and do something out of the ordinary in a big budget, blockbuster special effects laden science fiction film?

I just can't see it, at best I can see them make some of the supporting characters Asian.

I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully it not only leads to Lin casting Japanese or Japanese-American actors and setting the film in Japan, but his leaving Space Jam 2.

If I had to choose between Akira and Space Jam 2, I would choose Space Jam 2. There already is a movie called Akira and it's a fine movie by itself that doesn't need to be retold in a live action movie. If they sold the rights to Netflix and they made a tv show to flesh out the story from the manga that could be interesting.

mjontrix

Please stop these live action anime adaptations.
Please stop. This also goes for the Made in Japan ones.

How is Akira even going to work with the last quarter of the movie? That's going to be some impressive CGI...

My Q is - who's going to watch these movies? The anime fans refuse to accept them, the older audience won't know what an Akira is, and the younger audience just wants to see Transformers 7: Explosions on Mars.

Just like Superhero movies its gonna take many many industry and studio killing flops for a decent anime movie to be made. You probably wont see it in your lifetime.

Just like Superhero movies its gonna take many many industry and studio killing flops for a decent anime movie to be made. You probably wont see it in your lifetime.

Remember a lot of anime are adaptations of manga. In that regard, Edge of Tomorrow is by far the best Hollywood adaptation of a manga and a damn good movie to boot.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Remember a lot of anime are adaptations of manga. In that regard, Edge of Tomorrow is by far the best Hollywood adaptation of a manga and a damn good movie to boot.
Going back to mjontrix point in his post though, not much people went to see it regardless

If I had to choose between Akira and Space Jam 2, I would choose Space Jam 2. There already is a movie called Akira and it's a fine movie by itself that doesn't need to be retold in a live action movie.

And a sequel to a movie that was nothing but an extension of a 60sec shoe commercial is that much better a choice.

Nah.

There's already a movie called Space Jam and it had the greatest basketball player who ever lived and an audience who kinda/sorta still cared about Bugs Bunny and it was still a fucking pile.

A live-action crack at one of the greatest mangas ever made is worth the risk of revisiting. Space Jam is not.

Going back to mjontrix point in his post though, not much people went to see it regardless

Well it didn't bomb, but it's box office was a disappointment; however in that case the edit:light novel brought no brand recognition at all hence the reason they felt comfortable retitling it. It actually existed on it's own merits as if it were an original film. Akira is well known property even if people have never read the manga or watched the anime film.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When is Justin Lin going to use his success to make something original? I thought I remembered him getting some scripts into development after his first couple Fast movies.

platakul

Banned
R&J era Dicaprio would have made a sick Kaneda. I'd actually go for Maisie Williams has Kaneda and a jesse eisenberg (but obviously younger) type for Tetsuo

Akahige

I like Justin Lin enough, I'd be okay with this grain of salt being true. If anything atleast he'll get that brother/family aspect right and give us a few insane set pieces.

I mean someone with a really unique visual outlook would be my first choice, I know it's too much to ask for a Nolan produced/Ben Wheatley directed Akira, but Lin has more than proven himself.

zugzug

I wonder whoose script they are working from now. when I first saw this I thought of Gary Whitta but then an hour later I seem to recall Whitta tweeting out that he is not involved and never will be again so stop asking him.....I proceeded to ask him like an idiot.

Their best bet is to completely westernize the adaptation including the names (except Akira obviously) and locate it in future New York or London, etc... and have a diverse cast.

Bishop89

tumblr_n90yrizWOr1qc3ju8o3_500.gif

tumblr_nk67sw5tq91srqpdwo1_500.gif

tumblr_nof2gwVLIz1rnvb0co2_500.gif

goodluck hollywood

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Whatever the fuck this becomes. I want it. I want it so bad I can taste it.

Justin Lin isn't a bad choice in any way. All his films are well-directed. The script and casting matter way more than whether the guy making it also happens to be "The Fast and Furious guy."

nkarafo

tumblr_n90yrizWOr1qc3ju8o3_500.gif

tumblr_nk67sw5tq91srqpdwo1_500.gif

tumblr_nof2gwVLIz1rnvb0co2_500.gif

goodluck hollywood
This shit is still the best 2D hand drawn animation i have ever seen. Some of the stuff in Akira would only be made by CGI today, nobody would even dare to animate some of it's scenes by hand. Which is depressing to say the least.

Ridley327

I wonder which executive at WB keeps trying to make this happen. Those rights must have cost an arm and a leg to keep it up for this long.

I feel like a good 90% (pulling statistics from my arse) of Akira's appeal is from its amazing animation. I'm not sure people care about a live action adaptation at all.

Window

I feel like a good 90% (pulling statistics from my arse) of Akira's appeal is from its amazing animation. I'm not sure people care about a live action adaptation at all.

Yeah I agree.

Wonder how they can make this visually interesting. Maybe if they go down a more refined Speed Racer route (gonna get a lot of hate for saying that...).

So Nolan no longer rumored to be producing? Kinda surprised with Di Caprio's name here since I though he doesn't do (act in or produce) blockbusters these days.

munchie64

Could work. I assume they're gonna need a pretty big budget to pull this off properly. Let's hope GITS does well (at least if it's good) to start that anime boom.

UrbanRats

That would leave only 10% for Geinoh Yamashirogumi's soundtrack, which i'd regard as one of the best of all time, along with Philip Glass' work on "Mishima: A life in four chapters".

Also, this is a bad idea of course, but just like the GitS movie, it'll be fun as a trainwreck.

jax

Banned
Move over, Comic Book movies. There's a new king in town, Anime movies.

Come on high budget DBZ. (But stay the fuck away, Fox.)

Magwik

Banned
Move over, Comic Book movies. There's a new king in town, Anime movies.

Come on high budget DBZ. (But stay the fuck away, Fox.)

Fox can't stay away because they legally own movie distribution rights. They will just let Toriyama do outlines for animated films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom