• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taika Waititi in talks for "Akira."

WB isn't gonna let go of the IP. They eventually have to get something off the ground. It's stupid but it's also way too valuable. WB knows if they don't do a live-action movie someone else will.

Wasn't it WB that bank-rolled the Rurouni Kenshin movies that came out recently?

It's too bad they don't just follow that same method of production as those were all great adaptations. Admittedly, going that route does mean it will lose the interest of some global audiences I guess.

okdakor

Only a bit interested if Taika has free rein, is writing the script and has the director's cut... but it won't happen.

Haunted

Hollywood needs to stop with anime. It's never going to happen for you people.
giphy.gif

munchie64

^^
The only live action Akira I want is some kind of recreation for the opening/closing ceremony for the Olympics.

Don't ask me how to do this.

120v

assuming this ever does happen it's going to be where the studio just throws its hands in the air and gives a frankenstein script to some C-tier director and it'll go on to open at $15 million domestic or something never to be talked about again

munchie64

Because Evangelion is boring, overlong and bad.

The orginal, directors mental breakdown insanity ending was great though
Nah.

The correct answer is that it doesn't work in film as shown already by the Rebuilds (would love to be proven wrong here).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've loved all of his films but he's not the right guy for Akira, good thing these Akira deals never actually finalize.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Nah.

The correct answer is that it doesn't work in film as shown already by the Rebuilds (would love to be proven wrong here).

The original series is incredibly, incredibly dull for very long sequences. the films are bad because they're still trying to milk a very meh series for all it's worth.

The anime didn't even get the source material right besides the incredible animation. Why make a movie?

Let me guess it takes place in Neo Seattle with main characters Ted and Kenneth

Generally speaking, of course adapting Anime is a foolish errand.

But this is Waititi we are talking about. He probably has a very speicific take for how it could be made in an awesome manner.

This would not be another Ghost in the Shell.

It is still the case that Americans can't enjoy something unless it's set in America and everyone is American? Really? I don't think that's the case any more personally, if it ever was. Look at Harry Potter, nary an American accent in sight and that did OK. Maybe subtitles would be too far but there is no reason that this can't be set in Tokyo, with an Asian lead cast, even if you want to broaden out the supporting roles.

Generally speaking, of course adapting Anime is a foolish errand.

But this is Waititi we are talking about. He probably has a very speicific take for how it could be made in an awesome manner.

This would not be another Ghost in the Shell.

Short form anime/manga with easily digestible concepts are ripe for adaptations. For a litmus test, if you can't elevator pitch it, it's probably a terrible idea for an adaptation. Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Psycho Pass, Parasyte, Gundam, Attack on Titan, the promised Neverland, One Punch Man, all could be done with 2 hour films with sequel potential. Notably, only one of those stories (Champloo) is obligated to be set in Japan.

Of course, after seeing Death Note, it's clear that Hollywood can screw up the simplest of adaptations.

It is still the case that Americans can't enjoy something unless it's set in America and everyone is American? Really? I don't think that's the case any more personally, if it ever was. Look at Harry Potter, nary an American accent in sight and that did OK. Maybe subtitles would be too far but there is no reason that this can't be set in Tokyo, with an Asian lead cast, even if you want to broaden out the supporting roles.

Harry Potter had a lot of white people.

Waititi is a director I can see pulling it off but Hollywood just needs to stop. Bomb after bomb casting white dolls in all kinds of movies and they still trying. At least if they tried for a faithful adaptation and it bombed they'd get some positive feedback and credit.

I think even a modern adaptation of a straight up non-whitewashed Japanese-set Akira, while being faithful to the letter of the work, would lose the spirit (much like Ghost in the Shell). The themes were pretty specific to the time, and Japan is a slightly different place now.

I think an American Adaptation could be very fruitful if they had the balls to stick some actual themes of the time in there and make the cast diverse, immigrants ideally.

Here's your template: Attack the Block. Just re-imagine that movie where Moses (Boyega) is in the Kaneda role, and one of his buddies is Tetsuo.

Edit: Though better yet, go ahead and just watch/rewatch Attack the Block.

Stop ruining anime. You already destroyed Death Note. Just stop. If you want a safe anime to do, Just go with Cowboy Bebop. And cast Keanu Reeves for Spike. He's perfect.

Top Bottom