• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Hot Off "Get Out", Jordan Peele is being courted to direct "Akira"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually makes a lot of sense

It just also sounds really stoned haha

OK, Cool.

Had me second guessing myself and thinking it was dumb. LOL

Yup. Just do it The Departed and Edge of Tomorrow style. You don't need to do a restrictive shot for shot live action film of the anime (it's actually impossible for them to do this because I know they won't cast Asians), so do an adaptation of the general themes and plot for Americans.

Plus recreating iconic shots from the anime is lazy and will only be a cheap imitation to the original creative iconic shots that were perfected in the original masterpiece. There's a chance to create new iconic shots and deliver it's own unique American experience that can be a companion piece to both the anime and manga.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's only one iconic scene Peele needs to reference anyway.

26a.gif

wildfire

Banned
Well it's definitely 4/20

What are you smoking. Everything he said was absolutely correct.

John would be the "correct" name in place of Akira because what's more common than that? But Adam fits so much more because the word is rooted heavily in the predominate religion of American society and is loosely related to one of the greatest achievements and bane of science.

Adam is the best choice for an Americanized Akira.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But see now you projected your own stereotypes on it. You can be as true to the source while still adapting it culturally to another setting. There's going to be changes anyway from adapting it from different mediums.

Rum Punch is an Elmore Leonard novel that Tarantino adapted and changed the lead character from a White woman named Jackie Burke to a Black woman named Jackie Brown, set it in Los Angeles instead of Florida, and entrenched it in Blaxploitation influences with the tone, characters, dialogue and music to create something that was still faithful to the source material but stylistically his own.

Another example is Tony Scott's Man on Fire which they adapted from a novel where Creasy was a White American and former member of the French Foreign legion and it's completely set in Italy with Italian characters and names, Italian cities and culture, and the Italian Mafia and changed it to a Black American who's an ex-United States Special Operations soldier completely set in Mexico with Mexican characters and names, Mexican cities and culture as well as American culture, and a Mexican Criminal Organization named "La Hermandad". Even the Italian character of Pinta is paid homage to and changed to the Spanish name of Lupita, Pita for short.

My point is anything can be adapted and changed to a different culture and setting and still remain faithful to the spirit of the story. The only difference is how well it's done and it's overall execution.

There's no reason an American adaptation of Akira can't be done well.

You seem to agree with me but are hung up on the fact that it's Akira. They can do a similar story but just call or something else. I'm not sure why a story about psychic people in the near future needs to be called Akira pure revolve around the more distinct visual and story aspects. That's why I brought Chronicle up in the first place as it was a small scale Western Akira.

wandering

Banned
What are you smoking. Everything he said was absolutely correct.

John would be the "correct" name in place of Akira because what's more common than that? But Adam fits so much more because the word is rooted heavily in the predominate religion of American society and is loosely related to one of the greatest achievements and bane of science.

Adam is the best choice for an Americanized Akira.

You're putting words in my mouth. Maybe chill a little.

I haven't seen Akira yet, but I know enough about it that I find Moviebob's take super compelling and desperately want it to be made.

Tweetstorm version of his point:
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/845394954159603713

I actually disagree with him about GitS. I think a GitS movie set in the U.S. could have been a great exploration of the themes (especially those from Stand Alone Complex) and how they relate to US society and the age of social media. Giant missed opportunity.
I'd be all for this.

You seem to agree with me but are hung up on the fact that it's Akira. They can do a similar story but just call or something else. I'm not sure why a story about psychic people in the near future needs to be called Akira. That's why I brought Chronicle up in the first place. It was a small scale Western Akira.

Because they still want to tell the same story and keep the major story beats and a film is going to inevitably get made because they already bought the rights for a film adaptation. So we're getting it one day whether we like it or not. LOL

Might as well hope that it's good to great, and make it it's own.

Also I already suggested it should be called a different title like Adam with a marketing tagline that let's the audience knows it's an American adaptation based on a Japanese Classic.

I haven't seen Akira yet, but I know enough about it that I find Moviebob's take super compelling and desperately want it to be made.

Tweetstorm version of his point:
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/845394954159603713

I actually disagree with him about GitS. I think a GitS movie set in the U.S. could have been a great exploration of the themes (especially those from Stand Alone Complex) and how they relate to US society and the age of social media. Giant missed opportunity.

You could get a good movie out of that, but Hollywood doesn't want to make a good movie that explores the same themes of Akira in a believable American framework, they want to make white Akira and make money regardless of the quality lol

As others have said, they want that brand and they want the notch of having successfully whitewashed another story from a different culture.

I could definitely see it if they call the movie just "Adam".

Whatever they do don't call it Akira please. That'll be no different than Ghost in the Shell at that point.

If the studios force Peele to title it "Akira" but put a white lead in, he absolutely should reject the offer. Let some other director step in and take the hit for what will absolutely end up as a huge flop.

https://youtu.be/4Ck5aDR52rc

Moviebob, while saying the Akira movie should probably never get made, made a great case for how to Americanize Akira without whitewashing it by taking the core themes of the story; gangs as surrogate families, wealth inequality, police hyper militarization and brutality, vulnerable people being swallowed up by the government to suffer god knows what kind of fate, could be adapted into a film thst is bitingly relevant to todays times. After watching Get Out I think Jordan is about the only person who can pull it ofg.

I know some people can't stand Bob, but his movie ideas tend to be well thought out and plausible to film. Besides Chronicle, 'Adam' could be one of the better ways to make a western Akira adaption.

Ploid 3.0

How odd would it be to white wash a movie called Akira. I hope they don't, hire some great Asian actors, then give them a great script and budget. The age of high money maker names is over. Just make something great, market it well so people know it's awesome, and profit.

How odd would it be to white wash a movie called Akira. I hope they don't, hire some great Asian actors, then give them a great script and budget. The age of high money maker names is over. Just make something great, market it well so people know it's awesome, and profit.

Now you know Hollywood ain't going to do this. LOL

Update: Peele shuts that shit down.
Don’t expect Jordan Peele to — as rumor had it — direct a live-action remake of the anime classic AKIRA… even though bigger-budgeted movies could very well be in his future.

“I think [I could do it] if the story justifies it,” Peele said. “AKIRA is one of my favorite movies, and I think obviously the story justifies as big a budget as you can possibly dream of. But the real question for me is: Do I want to do pre-existing material, or do I want to do original content? At the end of the day, I want to do original stuff.

There'd be no good way to adapt Akira that Hollywood would go for. The story relates to and references Japanese history so much that you can't just lift it from the area and set it in New York. I feel like 90% of the reason Hollywood wants to do Akira is because they think the motorcycle scenes would make for a great trailer, without pausing to think how hard of a sell the other shit later on in the movie would be to most audiences unfamiliar with the work.

It would require such a huge budget and - even if done well - probably not make as much money as they'd want it to. As much as I'd be curious to see a well-done live action adaptation, they'd be smart to leave it alone.

And as much as I like Get Out I'd have no strong feelings one way or another as to whether he'd be able to pull off a great Akira film. Doing dark social comedy is one thing - it's obviously in his wheelhouse. Pulling off Akira is something else.

Either way, I guess there's no point speculating about his take on the material given this news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom