• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Hot Off "Get Out", Jordan Peele is being courted to direct "Akira"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
This guy's one
MV5BNjE3NDQyOTYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcyODU2Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Not really, he moved on a more sensible arc than most of these indie guys.

Following ($6k)
Memento ($9 million)
Insomnia ($46 million) (First studio picture with WB)
Batman Begins ($150 million)

Get Out was dope but what a bizarre project to offer him to follow that up.

This trend of offering indie directors who have shown no inclination of being a fit for this sort of thing some huge 150+ million project right out the gate is stupid.

I thought this video essay I watched was pretty interesting, where it makes the case that horror directors are seemingly well equipped to handle blockbuster action, and have proven themselves so.

waste of time effort and personal capital.

peele will look way worse with a 48% RT dceu mess on his resume

And yet a series of critically panned big budget bombs including the beloved Avatar didn't hurt Shyamalan returning to his roots and make very successful low budget horror/thriller films.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
And yet a series of critically panned big budget bombs including the beloved Avatar didn't hurt Shyamalan returning to his roots and make very successful low budget horror/thriller films.

sure, if peele wants to follow M Night's career path then yes making an anime movie and a terrible DCU flick are solid choices

personally, i think he is poised for more consistent success

sure, if peele wants to follow M Night's career path then yes making an anime movie and a terrible DCU flick are solid choices

personally, i think he is poised for more consistent success

OK, but you've already determined a failed outcome for him if he chose to do it with no room for success. LOL

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pivoting from these two genres, one as your directorial debut, would be epic. But I hope this doesnt turn into a Island of Dr. Moreau scenario for Peele.

Or Jordan can go the George Lucas/James Cameron route and create his heroes ground-up, own the licenses, and potentially cultivate an entire universe around them.

He's in the position to do bigger, why stunt his progress by putting sweat in something that isn't really his? He's paid his dues.

Or Jordan can go the George Lucas/James Cameron route and create his heroes ground-up, own the license, and potentially cultivate an entire universe around it.

He's in the position to do bigger, why stunt his progress by putting sweat in something that isn't really his? He's paid his dues.

Jordan can't go the Lucas/Cameron route unless he's willing to put a lot of money up and take on huge risk. This is not the 70's. Typicaly even visionary directors make deals with studios to direct one of their films in a "I'll scracth your back if you scratch mine" way that will impact the types of films, budgets, and creative control he'll have in the future within the studio system.

rou021

Or Jordan can go the George Lucas/James Cameron route and create his heroes ground-up, own the licenses, and potentially cultivate an entire universe around them.

Actually, Cameron went the same route. Like many filmmakers, he started out making a successful indie horror film (The Terminator) and then went on to make a big budget sequel for an existing franchise (Aliens) as his next project.

I see your point though. I'd also prefer something new and different. It's understandable, however, why Peele and other directors would consider going this route. Success in doing this kind project could provide better opportunities for other, original projects. This has worked for Cameron, as well as others like Nolan and Spielberg.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have no interest in seeing this happen as much as I loved Get Out. It's there anything there to say this is even a good fit outside of Get Out being good and making money? These are entirely different kinds of films and more importantly staggeringly different kinds of films productions.

Jordan can't go the Lucas/Cameron route unless he's willing to put a lot of money up and take on huge risk. This is not the 70's. Typicaly even visionary directors make deals with studios to direct one of their films in a "I'll scracth your back if you scratch mine" way that will impact the types of films, budgets, and creative control he'll have in the future within the studio system.

You don't need a big budget to create a hero flick. Chronicle cost 12 million and made 10 times that much. I didn't imply he should concoct a grand spectacle like the Avengers or Star Wars off-the-bat but to point out an opportunity to create something from the same pool that is his own.

You don't need a big budget to create a hero flick. Chronicle cost 12 million and made 10 times that much. I didn't imply he should concoct a grand spectacle like the Avengers or Star Wars off-the-bat but to point out an opportunity to create something from the same pool that is his own.

OK, but even in that scenario he wouldn't own the license.

If they end up adapting this (I hope they don't), they better change the title. Akira is a super common first name in Japan. Name it Jim or Steve or Kevin or Tim .

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, GitS was probably a barometer studios were watching when considering this project.

In other words, there's no fucking way anyone is going to make a big budget Akira movie anytime soon.

Shit guys I just found out about this

Out of anyone else in the whole world I could see him casting Asian leads

Well, him, maybe. But what about the studio?
I'd rather he did something else than another destined to fail anime adaptation. Akira just isn't suited for the Hollywood treatment.

yeah, thank christ
I honestly think it could be done well, and Peele wouldn't be a bad choice to make it happen. But studio realities would inevitably fuck this up, either by demanding bankable (ie, white) stars - or demanding a watered-down version of the original that hits a PG-13 rating and doesn't offend international sensibilities.

Honestly, the only way I saw this going well was ages ago when it was rumored Nolan was going to direct. He's a big enough name that he could have faced minimal studio interference - and MAYBE turned out a worthwhile adaptation.

I honestly think it could be done well, and Peele wouldn't be a bad choice to make it happen. But studio realities would inevitably fuck this up, either by demanding bankable (ie, white) stars - or demanding a watered-down version of the original that hits a PG-13 rating and doesn't offend international sensibilities.

Honestly, the only way I saw this going well was ages ago when it was rumored Nolan was going to direct. He's a big enough name that he could have faced minimal studio interference - and MAYBE turned out a worthwhile adaptation.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got Peele not only for his critical acclaim and success with Get Out, but with also adapting Akira with Black gang member main characters.

Not

Banned
Well, him, maybe. But what about the studio?
I'd rather he did something else than another destined to fail anime adaptation. Akira just isn't suited for the Hollywood treatment.

He's in a place right now where he's not gonna make it if he's not on board, and the studio really wants him

He could now cast anyone he wants and a decent amount of people will show up because it's the new "Jordan Peele film"

BEST case scenario though, is this whole project continues to die in the water. And yeah, I didn't realize this article was written before GitS flopped. Studio's probably bailed already.

HStallion

I wouldn't be surprised if they got Peele not only for his critical acclaim and success with Get Out, but with also adapting Akira with Black gang member main characters.

While this would be cool it's still a bit odd to see them need to use the Akira name for something like this.

He's in a place right now where he's not gonna make it if he's not on board, and the studio really wants him

He could now cast anyone he wants and a decent amount of people will show up because it's the new "Jordan Peele film"

BEST case scenario though, is this whole project continues to die in the water. And yeah, I didn't realize this article was written before GitS flopped. Studio's probably bailed already.

Haven't bailed, just put it on hold. They've been trying to make this film since 2002. So it's inevitable. Just not now.

While this would be cool it's still a bit odd to see them need to use the Akira name for something like this.

Not if you completely adapt it to America and call it Adam or something but stay true to the spirit of the story.

HStallion

Not if you completely adapt it to America and call it Adam or something but stay true to the spirit of the story.

That's my point though, just make a new movie. Chronicle did it already but wasn't nearly as large a scale as Akira.

That's my point though, just make a new movie. Chronicle did it already but wasn't nearly as large a scale as Akira.

Why? There's nothing wrong with adapting it. You can't just copy the full story despite adapting it to America and get away with that. Chronicle was inspired by Akira but ultimately told it's own story.

He's going to turn it down.

Right?

If he has any common sense he will. That movie has been passed around Hollywood like a cheap hooker for decades. You can not make a "Hollywood" movie out of it.

Frankly if he does do it then it'll be shit. Anyone with any brains knows this project could easily bury your career in Hollywood.

Not

Banned
I think Hollywood's gonna get cold feet now. There'll be nothing to pass on.

Well, maybe if he really, really wants to make it and convinces them to do it. But in that situation there's no way they whitewash the leads again. Right?

I think Hollywood's gonna get cold feet now. There'll be nothing to pass on.

Well, maybe if he really, really wants to make it and convinces them to do it. But in that situation there's no way they whitewash the leads again. Right?

Hollywood definitely has cold feet after Ghost in the Shell. Warner Brothers got cold feet with Death Note and sold it to Netflix. If anything, I could see the Akira adaptation go to Netflix where the box office returns aren't needed and they could allow a director to follow their vision. An American/Western adaption of Akira wouldn't be whitewashing if they cast White actors as the main characters and change their names.

Apt101

Damn, the guy makes one great little thriller and they want to throw him into the deep end of sci-fi epics?

I guess the Russo brothers showed definitively that talented directors can jump from more grounded, modest beginnings and move comfortably into projects with larger scopes. But they had many years and projects under their belts by that point.

In any event hoping for the best.

Damn, the guy makes one great little thriller and they want to throw him into the deep end of sci-fi epics?

I guess the Russo brothers showed definitively that talented directors can jump from more grounded, modest beginnings and move comfortably into projects with larger scopes. But they had many years and projects under their belts by that point.

There's a history of this type of jump for White male directors in Hollywood.

Kin5290

I pray to all the gods he doesn't do this, the last thing I want is for him to get crushed under the weight of big budget studio bullshit.
Considering the source material, and how much money Get Out made, there's a fair chance that the studio just wants to replicate that.

Oh man, this could be amazing.

Although personally I'd completely strip out all of the Asian trappings. Edge of Tomorrow it, keep the basic premise and plot, and recreate that in a western context.

It's becoming more common. If anything, Peele is over qualified compared to other recent major studio hires. Colin Trevorrow directed one largely unseen indie before landing Jurassic World, and now he's making a Star Wars movie. Considering Get Out is one of the highest grossing flicks of the year so far, he's absolutely proven himself as a bankable commodity.

Not

Banned
Considering the source material, and how much money Get Out made, there's a fair chance that the studio just wants to replicate that.

Oh man, this could be amazing.

Although personally I'd completely strip out all of the Asian trappings. Edge of Tomorrow it, keep the basic premise and plot, and recreate that in a western context.

They could still make the title character Asian

Spoilers for Akira

Since he's basically just a fridge full of organs for the whole movie

Con_Smith

Banned
Peele smokes enough bud that I feel he would get the visual aspect just right.

I have higher hopes for the project if he does it than the Alita movie from Rodriguez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom