• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Hot Off "Get Out", Jordan Peele is being courted to direct "Akira"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDude

How the fuck do you go from writing on MadTv to being very close to being the helm of Akira?! Congrats on Jordan regardless.

Easy, a 4 million budget with a 147 million dollar return and high critical acclaim. He probably has better offers than this, stuff with more creative control.

blackflag

Nah that seems like a trap. Do your own thing Jordan. Rather see original shit than Akira which will probably be terrible no matter who directs.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hopefully he can pen the script too. But this is the first bit of positive news for the project in years

WAIT FOR SOMEONE BESIDES THE TRACKING BOARD TO REPORT ON THIS

That said... interesting choice, if its actually the case (iiiiiffffff)

Question being: Would Peele be the one to say "Look - this is a story about Japanese culture, starring Japanese people, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan: I'm not putting Dane De-fucking-Haan in my Akira movie."

IS HE THAT DUDE.

If you go by some of his interviews, he has basically said that he wants to stick to these four or five original ideas he's got rattling in his head.
Thank goodness.

No disrespect to Jordan or his talent, but I'd honestly rather he use his time to make social thrillers in an age where they're going to be painfully relevant than focus on a big studio movie that frankly isn't likely to turn out well if GITS and the blowback to that is any indication.

guek

Banned

Question being: Would Peele be the one to say "Look - this is a story about Japanese culture, starring Japanese people, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan.

I'm not putting Dane De-fucking-Haan in my Akira movie."

IS HE THAT DUDE.
I sincerely doubt it would matter even if he were. If the studio wants white actors, they'll ship around until they find a director who will run with their vision, not the other way around.

robotrock

Banned

Question being: Would Peele be the one to say "Look - this is a story about Japanese culture, starring Japanese people, set in a post-apocalyptic Japan: I'm not putting Dane De-fucking-Haan in my Akira movie."

IS HE THAT DUDE.

Nice jordan peele quote

IS HE THAT DUDE.

He's inherently too self aware to be that dude.

wandering

Banned
How upset would people be if Kaneda and Tetsuo were cast with Black actors?

As much as I want to see Asians specifically on the screen I'm not getting mad if other people of color are getting opportunities.

Hell, you could make some cool social commentary out of it, Kaneda and Tetsuo were always outcasts on the margins of society.

Give it to an Asian director, you pastey old assholes

Uhhh what

I sincerely doubt it would matter even if he were. If the studio wants white actors, they'll ship around until they find a director who will run with their vision, not the other way around.

If the studio had a vision the movie would have been made years ago. You just don't randomly pick Jordan Peele to follow a vision. There's a good chance they want HIS vision.

I'd rather he not get tied down with a sinking ship.
fZW69.gif

Are other backing or are they just reposting?

I was about to say Jeff Sneider and co. while pointing out his super sketchy history... but I just noticed he's the author of the story in the first place lol. My mistake! I thought that guy was at The Wrap or something.

If the film is working from the graphic novel, there's more chances at action.

But if you're the kind of director that has a solid sense of framing, of pacing, and knowing how to draw a person's eye to exactly you want focused on in a frame, chances are you could direct an effective action scene. You don't have to go to Cameron boot camp or whatever to get it down. In the end, it's stil pointing a camera at something and capturing its energy.

A lot of being a successful director is making sure you hire a support system and collaborators who are better than you at the things you need to be great at.

Would be surprised if it happens. Not long ago I saw him say in some YouTube interview that he wouldn't accept any big franchise offers and just wanted to keep making smaller more unique movies. Guess he could always change his mind though.

B33

Banned
If the film is working from the graphic novel, there's more chances at action.

But if you're the kind of director that has a solid sense of framing, of pacing, and knowing how to draw a person's eye to exactly you want focused on in a frame, chances are you could direct an effective action scene. You don't have to go to Cameron boot camp or whatever to get it down. In the end, it's stil pointing a camera at something and capturing its energy.

A lot of being a successful director is making sure you hire a support system and collaborators who are better than you at the things you need to be great at.

This all true.

Peele and the film's producers can find a good team to help with the action sequences. A director guides the ship but they don't do it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom