• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SS4Gogita said:
Just like they did when they used used carts for the N64 instead of CDs, or when they used their own proprietary mini-DVD format for the Gamecube, or when they used their own proprietary DVD format for the Wii?

Neither CDs nor DVDs were especially prominent when those consoles came out. Heck, DVD only really took off at first because the PS2 included a DVD player.

Hiltz

So I guess video games are going to cost at least $60 on Nintendo's next home console. That is, if all of these rumors are pointing to a system capable of matching or even surpassing Sony and Microsoft's consoles in terms of horsepower.

Hiltz said:
So I guess video games are going to cost at least $60 on Nintendo's next home console if all of these rumors are pointing to a system capable of matching or even surpassing Sony and Microsoft's consoles in terms of horsepower.

Highly likely. They see Sony and MS getting away with it and they know their games are a lot more popular.

[Nintex]

Yeah John Davidson had this figured out by 2008. Whoever told him about those meetings probably isn't with us anymore. Some Activision Blizzard folks had it on their CV's as well, simply dubbed as Wii2. I believe a 'next-gen' Crash Nitro Kart was listed as a Wii2 game on one of the designers portfolio's. Surfergirl or Superregatory(?) dug that up back in the day.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Andrex said:
Neither CDs nor DVDs were especially prominent when those consoles came out. Heck, DVD only really took off at first because the PS2 included a DVD player.

You could say the exact same thing about the PS3 and Blu-ray :p

Andrex said:
Blu-ray is already facing an uphill battle that only now is starting to turn highly positive. I believe network-based access will usurp any possible future formats, as well as keep Blu-ray going as the de-facto physical medium, similar to CDs and MP3s.
Oh, I totally agree, provided all these shenanigans concerning broadband internet data caps comes to a halt pretty soon. I'm pretty sure we all know what's been going on in Canada, and a few ISP's have already been testing the waters for data capping here in the USA. Until we know which way the wind is blowing, optical discs and the every increasing need for additional storage will continue to be a large part of gaming for the foreseeable future. At least that's the way I see it.

edit:sp

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SS4Gogita said:
You could say the exact same thing about the PS3 and Blu-ray :p

I will say the same thing about PS3 and Blu-ray. Heck, that situation is the most emphatic example of taking risks on an unproven format, which is something Nintendo never does. They'd rather be a gen behind than bet on a loser.

Zeal

Banned
just woke up (lul). have i missed anything of significance.

and no, it's not gonna be a frickin' holographic storage medium. sigh.

[Nintex]

Nintendo will stick with the retailers for a long time. Their characters and brands are eye catching for shoppers passing by the electronics/games not to mention that Nintendo products are great holiday gifts and they pack in all sorts of plastic shit. I don't see Nintendo go with digital distribution anytime soon.

JCRedeems

Banned
Found on Nintendoeverything.com

Miyamoto was once again asked if there is any truth to the recent Wii 2 rumors in an interview with Dutch website Sp!ts. While he didn’t reveal anything specifically, Miyamoto did indicate that it is a logical step for Nintendo to move on to HD since a large percentage of households have an HD television, and echoed previous statements by the company that the console will offer something totally different. You can check out the full Google translated response below.

“I may not tell you, but to us it is of course a logical step to doing something with HD. The number of households with a HD television is now big enough to make an HD game console. And of course we are always busy anyway with the development of new consoles. We focus not only on HD and the next system will feature something totally different than usual.”

Seems promising to me. If it really totally different then I will freely give Nintendo my cash.

I like it how Nintendo are trailblazers of the industry.

HYDE

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
I'd love to see the return of trackballs actually.

I think trackballs suck compared to touchscreens. Mice and trackballs are so ancient/antique to me at this point, why fucking scroll to something when you can just immediately touch where you want to aim. Those make no sense in electronics anymore....way to dated for today's technology.

bidaum

HYDE said:
I think trackballs suck compared to touchscreens. Mice and trackballs are so ancient/antique to me at this point, why fucking scroll to something when you can just immediately touch where you want to aim. Those make no sense in electronics anymore....way to dated for today's technology.
mouse != trackball

[Nintex]

JCRedeems said:
Found on Nintendoeverything.com

Seems promising to me. If it really totally different then I will freely give Nintendo my cash.

I like it how Nintendo are trailblazers of the industry.
I don't think he gave Spits any legit info, if only because the first question was:
"You made something with 3D, weren't you afraid that it would fail like the Virtual Boy?"

watershed

Banned
Sorry this is off-topic but as a junior member can I add people to an ignore list? Because there are some people whose comments are so amazingly awesome that if I see any more of them I'm afraid my eyeballs might melt. :)

antonz

Miyamoto really didnt say much there at all that hasnt been the line the company has stuck to since the Wii launched.

When HDTVs are mainstream and we make the leap to HD it wont be the defining feature of our next console.

Jackano

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo will stick with the retailers for a long time. Their characters and brands are eye catching for shoppers passing by the electronics/games not to mention that Nintendo products are great holiday gifts and they pack in all sorts of plastic shit. I don't see Nintendo go with digital distribution anytime soon.

Only digital of course not. But like with 3D, in the past, Nintendo often looked forward to digital distribution. Best examples are the Nintendo Power system (blank SNES and GB officials cardridges, an exclusive Fire Emblem was even released on this) and the Broadcast Satellaview again for the Super Famicom.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
HYDE said:
Because mice don't require you to obscure what it is that you are interacting with. Because touch, unless with a fine stylus is not very precise. Because touch requires direct access to the screen.

Mithos said:
Yeah a one layered 8cm Blu-Ray is about ~16.5gb or ~33gb for dual layer.

Edit:
Might be wrong, checking about it now.

Edit2:
Seems like its about half of what I wrote (7.5gb single layer), only some TDK articles show up from 2006 when 8cm Blu-Ray states 16.5gb and 33gb (guess its that I remembered from).
The point is moot. They need 12cm for Wii compatibility.

The rumor that says this thing will have a Radeon 4770 as its video card contradicts the earlier rumor that this would be roughly of equal power to the 360..

The 4770 is much stronger than the GPU inside the 360.. WHO TO BELIEVE!?

Jackano

If Café is aiming retrieving some of the "coregamers" audience, Nintendo will too thanks to BC sell some more evergreen Galaxies or whatever.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think I'm trying to suggest that it's possible to have BC capability without necessarily accepting the same media format, especially if both systems can communicate via wi-fi.

I obviously don't know, but I don't think Nintendo starts their dev process by saying, "first thing's first: it needs to play Wii games." I don't think that's necessarily a non-starter.

There's a lot of reasons TO have BC, but I don't think there's a singular way to achieve it.

[Nintex]

PantherLotus said:
Serious question: does Wii2 really need to be BC? I'm not convinced.
Without BC:
Games availabe at launch: ~10
With BC:
Games avaialbe at launch: 500+

Not to mention that Galaxy 2 and all could look great if they manage to render/upscale those in higher resolutions.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^Unless all of those games are available via streaming, of course.

Jackano said:
If Café is aiming retrieving some of the "coregamers" audience, Nintendo will too thanks to BC sell some more evergreen Galaxies or whatever.

Where is this idea that Nintendo has segmented some portion of their target audience into "core gamer" (and that they're going after them) coming from? What part of Nintendo's past 5 years suggest that in any way?

antonz

perfectnight said:
The rumor that says this thing will have a Radeon 4770 as its video card contradicts the earlier rumor that this would be roughly of equal power to the 360..

Thats because there has never been an actual statement of power. The statement was the Wii2 will share a similar architecture to the 360. A new Generation of Tri Core PowerPC CPU is a similar architecture while also being state of the art versus antique.

On Paper seeing Tri Core PowerPC the average uninformed person might assume its equal.

antonz said:
Thats because there has never been an actual statement of power. The statement was the Wii2 will share a similar architecture to the 360. A new Generation of Tri Core PowerPC CPU is a similar architecture while also being state of the art versus antique.

On Paper seeing Tri Core PowerPC the average uninformed person might assume its equal.

Ah gotcha. Thanks.

watershed

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I think I'm trying to suggest that it's possible to have BC capability without necessarily accepting the same media format, especially if both systems can communicate via wi-fi.

I obviously don't know, but I don't think Nintendo starts their dev process by saying, "first thing's first: it needs to play Wii games." I don't think that's necessarily a non-starter.

There's a lot of reasons TO have BC, but I don't think there's a singular way to achieve it.

Okay but this is an entirely different issue from the question you asked. As for this, look at the PS3 it initially had backwards compatibility with ps2 dvds but of course runs blu-rays as its main media format. The N6 could do the same.

Raide said:
If they want to convince the current Wii owners to upgrade, they need to do BC.

Eh. I disagree. The Wii was a very specialized piece of hardware. If the next one wasn't exactly the same then I get not having bc, especially since the Wii will likely be $99 when the next console comes out. If the Wii was that cheap I could even see Nintendo continuing to support it through the Nintendo Shop and 3DS ports.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think it's time to forget power arguments. Nintendo's post-64 actions demonstrate they'll go for power something slightly/somewhat higher than current standards. So is it "slightly" or "significantly?"

I don't think it matters for what Nintendo is trying to do.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
artwalknoon said:
Okay but this is an entirely different issue from the question you asked. As for this, look at the PS3 it initially had backwards compatibility with ps2 dvds but of course runs blu-rays as its main media format. The N6 could do the same.

That's fair. The better question is:

Does Wii2 necessarily need to play Wii discs? I say absolutely not.

watershed

Banned
PantherLotus said:

So are you suggesting a download model for the wii's bc or a streaming solution with a subscription?

Edt: also I think it will be able to play Wii discs even if there is some download model for wii games simply because of the number of Wii owners out there. Nintendo wants people to make the jump, the less barriers the better.

PantherLotus said:

Necessarily, no. Ideally, yes.

It helps reduce the price/risk of the product, if only in the user's mind.

Raide

PantherLotus said:

I think it should, just to keep those Wii owners a little happier, then do what MS did any slowly have those titles available to download.

perfectnight said:

Not idiots who would claim a 2011/2012 launched system would be equal in power to a 2005 launched one? For that to be true, you wouldn't just have to be unmindful of power, you'd have to spend more money to buy parts old enough for that to be the case. You can buy off the shelf parts that would dwarf the 360 in power for peanuts, even less in bulk if you're a manufacturer like Nintendo.

wsippel

Banned
perfectnight said:
Ah gotcha. Thanks.
Just to get a basic idea: On the high end, IBM currently offers a PowerPC with three cores that outperforms a six core i7 eXtreme Edition. On the low end, you have Xenon. They are all "three core PowerPCs", but there's a huge difference in performance.

Azure J

perfectnight said:

Wait, which rumor is specifying that the 4770 is being used as a base for the next system's GPU? All reports so far have made a mention of an R700/R700 class chip, but if we've gotten this specific then, that's a pretty damn good thing there! :)

AzureJericho said:
Wait, which rumor is specifying that the 4770 is being used as a base for the next system's GPU? All reports so far have made a mention of an R700/R700 class chip, but if we've gotten this specific then, that's a pretty damn good thing there! :)
The use of the 4770 is my conjecture based on the R700 rumor. AMD's smallest process for dedicated gpus is 40nm. The only unit in the R700 line at 40nm is the 4770. It was released around the time that Nintendo would have been specifying parts for the new system. The inference is that the 4770 was a proof of concept in shrinking the R700 down to 40nm on the path to further optimizing it for use in Nintendo's box. My logic chain is good, but given the limited dataset, it is not necessarily correct.

Instro said:
I believe the ability to add people the way you are talking about is something they are adding along with the other features when the shop launches or something.
That's what we want to believe.

- Friend Request
- Messaging System
- 3D Video Recording

We don't ask for much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom