• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

Proelite

If this 2012 Xbox is cheaper or same price as the Wii U, then Nintendo is in BIG trouble.
Hopefully the tablet technology doesn't cost too much. The big advantage for MS is that they don't need to make ANY money off the console itself.

Nora Kisaragi said:
Nintendo was in better financial shape then, you're forgetting.

After the horribad 3DS launch, another bad launch would be devestating for them.

You realize that Nintendo is in much better financial shape than Sony is, right?

You'll see Sony exit the videogame business before Nintendo does.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
AbsoluteZero said:
Nintendo Doomed, mirite?

The N64, Gamecube, and Wii all showed up a whole year late to the party, and Nintendo's still around.

If the current rumours and expectations for the next gen Xbox 360 and WiiU are correct. Coupled with the fact that Nintendo don't like to lose money on console sales. It's likely that the next Xbox will blow the WiiU out of the water technically and be a similar price or cheaper. That will be a huge issue for Nintendo.

DangerStepp

I'm curious as to why everyone is saying Sony is screwed in this matter. How do we know they don't have something up their sleeve ready to unleash?

They could pull a Sega and Saturn it at CES... on wait. :\

Live Free or Die said:
Late to what exactly?
The next generation of consoles.

Thoraxes

Ugh, I hate that MS is going to be giving us less with this console.
Seriously, we go from 360 all the way to 10.
Where did the other 350 go?
Unless it's in binary in which case OMMMGG 010101000110010101101110

McHuj said:
Did they talk about the credibility of the rumor?

Can't listen to it now, so if anyone could post a summary.

The show notes mention CES 2012 announcement. That's in about 2 months. Seems awfully early. But if it's true, we'll get a lot more rumors soon.

CES was his guess, so the notes are a little misleading. Another poster in the Loop thread said someone told him we'd hear something before the end of the year.

Some other things he mentioned was that there will be emphasis on tight integration of Win8, Win phone, and the console. It will be Metro and have embedded Silverlight, which the lady suggested later that it might be for XboxTV.

Other stuff was just with things we've talked about before like with 360 games peaking in looks.

Evlar said:
You would think some third parties would have knowledge of this.

Looking at DICE and Epic, I would say they do.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Only way I could see this happen for fall 2012 is if the nextbox is a straight iterative upgrade of the 360 - just a new box you slide in place, plays all old software and seamlessly transitions your xbox live (and XBLA content) services with no interruption. Mainly, just focuses on more powerful revision of the hardware and games can either be coded to run on both consoles (locked 60fps on nextbox, etc) or pave the way for nextbox exclusive next gen games.

Halo 4 might be launched to help push such a concept - say, it has better shaders, superior textures, and runs at 60fps when played on the nextbox. But it would still be fully playable to current 360 owners.

In a way I wonder if this is not a likely scenario after all. The next xbox seems as if it MUST be a seamless update to the current one. Xbox live and digital content is now too important. With games on demand many people have half of their library via digital means. As with Steam, nobody is going to want to lose their game library for merely upgrading hardware to play newer games at higher quality.

pr0cs

Unfortunately there is no way they'll announce anything at 2012 E3. 2013 fall release date at the earliest.
And 10 better be an internal product name.

FreeMufasa

Evlar said:
And Ent spelled jumbled!

Nte.....Entee..........Entei......

FTJNk.png

Holy shit.

350 less than the current console?

No purchase.

...but it will be 6 better than the PS4 and the WiiU doesn't even have numbers!

I'm back on board. Well played Microsoft, well played.

[Nintex]

The reasoning for this is rather simple and Thurott is right on the money as always. Integration is key here, Microsoft wants to integrate phone, Xbox, PC and all that with Windows 8 so the next Xbox has to launch within that timeframe along with their other devices. You can't 'integrate' when one product line is miles ahead or behind another product line.

Door2Dawn

Banned
cyberheater said:
If the current rumours and expectations for the next gen Xbox 360 and WiiU are correct. Coupled with the fact that Nintendo don't like to lose money on console sales. It's likely that the next Xbox will blow the WiiU out of the water technically and be a similar price or cheaper. That will be a huge issue for Nintendo.
The majority doesn't give a fuck about "power". As long as it's pretty, people will buy. For some reason people on this forum keep ignoring this fact. And lets not even mention the fact you're assuming it will "blow it out of the water" anyway.

cyberheater said:

...How exactly would that work, again? It's not gonna be a case of Wii vs. 360 graphically again, and even if MS went into Santa's workshop and had a few elves magically produce the chipset that makes the "omg Avatar/Samaritan graphics" on a console it still wouldn't be cheap to produce, and after PS3 took nearly 5 years to be profitable I highly doubt MS will willingly go down that road.

GrayFoxPL

MS fucked themselves with the naming.

While Sony comfortably just adds +1 every generation and everyone knows what's going on, MS probably spends millions doing polls and demographic surveys and shit.

Call it Xbox Turbo and be done with it.

jokkir

Globox_82 said:
Most boring one ever, mark my words.

I bet they are saving next gen hardware for E32013, so all of software development will be focused on those by mid 2012. So we will get some lame announcements(PS360), and sequels. "And here is new game in best selling franchise......Call of Duty!".
It will be so dry and boring that everyone will push panic button by asking where is next gen (sorry Wiiu)

I think we'll need more Kinect to save E3 2012 then.

cyberheater said:

I think you're underestimating the selling power of Nintendo's software.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Will Live finally be free?

Live has cost money since 2002, is still the premier online in 2011, paved the way for console online infrastructure and has it's competition bleeding money (who, ironically, have a paid subscription service as well but not required).

Yeah, if you think Live or PSN will be free next gen you've got another thing coming.

offshore

Criminal Upper said:
The very idea Microsoft or Sony would put out a new console with only one E3 behind it is laughable.
Why is it? MS showed Xbox 360 in 05, seven months later, it's out. That's how most people want it isn't, instead of dragging it out. Multiple E3 showings for the PS3 wasn't exactly a home run.

This strategy actually makes sense; show Xbox Next at CES, then have a big play at E3, then release in the fall. This is pretty much what Sony have done with Vita, albeit Sony had their own conference for Vita.

K' Dash

I won't be buying a first gen console EVER again, will buy a PS3 again and play my huge blacklog of games while I wait for reliable hardware.

GrayFoxPL said:
MS fucked themselves with the naming.

While Sony comfortably just adds +1 every generation and everyone knows what's going on, MS probably spends millions doing polls and demographic surveys and shit.

Call it Xbox Turbo and be done with it.
Don't advertisers dislike big numbers though? It's why games and movies get subtitles after 3 (sometimes less). They think audiences will see it as stale and stuff.

I bet Sony are always thinking of "SHOULD WE CHANGE DA NAME?" too.

[Nintex]

When people wonder who this Thurott guy is and if he's right... you should question yourself has he ever been wrong?

He called Metro for example:
Windows 8 will include a new tile-based user interface that's codenamed Mosh. Assuming this is true, I have to believe that this UI will be an alternative UI, and not a full replacement, or will appear only on low-end tablet-like devices aimed at the iPad. It sounds like something that will silence the critics who want the Windows Phone OS on a tablet.

So, Xbox 1080, then? That's what I thought.

Calling it the Xbox 720 would only be confusing to customers in relation to its output resolution. "It only outputs 720? WTF."

Top Bottom