• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Youtube Getting tough on video game monetization in 2014

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think Blip.tv is a good alternative. isn't AngryJoe originally on Blip.Tv before he moved to Youtube? and it look like they good on copyright since movies critics use it.

Phades

That's not evil, that's smart.

Wasn't the original argument to the effect of profiting off of someone else's work? How is that any different?

This. Good friend of mine doesn't even own a PS3, but knows EVERYTHING about TLOU because he just WATCHED the whole game on Youtube.

So, I guess I can kind of understand Naughty Dog's point of view on this, because games like TLOU (or Heavy Rain for that matter) are basically animated movies with player interaction.

They should design the game around gameplay then. Also, that isn't a lost sale since your friend couldn't play the game anyhow.

I think Blip.tv is good alternative. isn't AngryJoe originally on Blip.Tv before he moved to Youtube? and it look like they good on copyright since movies critics use it.
He is on both but blip.tv is invite only for some time now.
you can make your case to them but there are an approval process like neogaf to get an account.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
He is on both but blip.tv is invite only for some time now.
you can make your case to them but there are an approval process like neogaf to get an account.

didn't know that, this sucks. :/

well I think Blip should take advantage of this, they can get very big if they play their cards and drop their invite system and open for all right now.

Kyuur

well I think Blip should take advantage of this, they can get very big if they play their cards and drop their invite system and open for all right now.

You realize that the copyright holders can still do something about it if it becomes popular right?

Yes they could indeed.
You realize that the copyright holders can still do something about it if it becomes popular right?
We know but blip has a far better history of having good relationships with copyright holders then youtube has ever had.
That is why most movie reviewers are on blip or have their own flash player with ads.

Entire tgwtg website = blip
red letter media = blip
http://cinemassacre.com (aka avgn) = blip

Kainazzo

I can't imagine how much money I've saved just watching a playthrough on Youtube. TLOU, RDR, MMO storybits, and point-and-click adventures just to name a few. With so much coming out, I can watch a playthrough and just file the game away, without having to worry about a backlog or piracy. It's easy and fits my schedule, letting me stay on the curve while only having to play games I really enjoy.

I've found that after watching a playthrough (or most of one), I'll have no interest in playing most cinematic AAA games, even though I enjoyed the playthrough itself. However, with more open-ended and arcadey games (Crusader Kings II, Saidaioujou), or games that personally help me in some way (practicing Japanese in Sen no Kiseki), the playthrough will influence me to purchase it right away. Indeed, I've definitely bought more games because of it than I've avoided.

I don't read reviews or watch trailers, all I do is watch ~20 minutes of raw gameplay on Youtube to decide my purchases. In all these years, it's never failed me; it'd be a shame to lose this resource.

CTE

Lol, I don't.

And what I meant from my previous statement was I'm against gaming videos being taken down, but not those that make a living off of it.

I don't think you realize there is still Twitch. People make a living off of it, too. Not as much as YT...yet. Top players make about 60k a year in subs alone, though. There are ads on top of that. Donations on top of that. Companies that partner with certain streamers on top of that. If anything Twitch will just take up the slack.

There will always be people making a living off of playing video games at this point in time. It is a viable career choice if you do it right. Look at Lethalfrag, Manvsgame, or Towelliee on Twitch. There are many many more. I'm not even mentioning the LoL streamers with 300k followers like Phantomlord.

arne

"Your content" as in, just straight ripping gameplay, story scenes, or official trailers without adding any sort of additional worth through commentary, etc? Or do you mean pretty much anything that contains assets from one of your games, regardless of any added worth?

The former I can understand to a point, especially in regards to straight rips of trailers and stories. I was surprised that so many people blamed Atlus for taking down YouTube vids of the story in Persona 4 Arena, since that game is 99% visual novel, 1% hitting buttons in a ridiculously easy fight. Watching that game on YouTube is preeeetty damn close to how it feels to actually play it. But if it's the latter, then why not go after IGN, Gametrailers, etc for putting ads next to your assets? Is it just a matter of the volume of money that some YouTubers make? Or is it because you can't control YouTubers to the degree you can control the "traditional" gaming press?

All I can remember specifically discussing about claims (or takedowns) and approaching people are when rote republishing of content - things like people just reposting official video releases (trailers, tech series, dev diaries) that we prefer people to see only on official channels, spoilers, pre-release content, cheats/exploits, etc.

We don't have absolute control over it all, but we can at least see what to do regarding people who add additional, unique value to the videos they upload.

Given all the attention recently, we're going to see if we can draft with the legal team and publish some kind of policy or guidelines on it.

All I can remember specifically discussing about claims (or takedowns) and approaching people are when rote republishing of content - things like people just reposting official video releases (trailers, tech series, dev diaries) that we prefer people to see only on official channels, spoilers, pre-release content, cheats/exploits, etc.

We don't have absolute control over it all, but we can at least see what to do regarding people who add additional, unique value to the videos they upload.

Given all the attention recently, we're going to see if we can draft with the legal team and publish some kind of policy or guidelines on it.

I definitely understand preventing monetization on straight trailer rips, where the user puts in absolutely no effort besides reposting, but when you're discussing the treatment of Let's Plays and walkthroughs with your legal team, I please ask that you keep in mind that the big sites are currently advertising on straight up captured footage with little to no commentary: http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-last-of-us/videos/?page=3

I understand that you want to protect your IP, but I think the backlash could be fairly significant if one person/small team YT personalities are blocked from providing the same content as a larger outlet, or in some cases, providing even more content through commentary and personality. While IGN has more control of their content on their website, one could see this giving credence to the notion that bigger organizations get preferential treatment and continue to succeed by making sure the "little guy" can't advance.

You've been great with responding to the community, and I think everyone appreciates you even acknowledging the issue here on the board (I think most companies would demand employees to say nothing until an official message had been drafted), so I hope you don't read this as an aggressive post; I justed want to point out a possible talking point when this discussion does come up.

Dante316

I can't imagine how much money I've saved just watching a playthrough on Youtube. TLOU, RDR, MMO storybits, and point-and-click adventures just to name a few. With so much coming out, I can watch a playthrough and just file the game away, without having to worry about a backlog or piracy. It's easy and fits my schedule, letting me stay on the curve while only having to play games I really enjoy.

I've found that after watching a playthrough (or most of one), I'll have no interest in playing most cinematic AAA games, even though I enjoyed the playthrough itself. However, with more open-ended and arcadey games (Crusader Kings II, Saidaioujou), or games that personally help me in some way (practicing Japanese in Sen no Kiseki), the playthrough will influence me to purchase it right away. Indeed, I've definitely bought more games because of it than I've avoided.

I don't read reviews or watch trailers, all I do is watch ~20 minutes of raw gameplay on Youtube to decide my purchases. In all these years, it's never failed me; it'd be a shame to lose this resource.

I do not understand this. Tho games you listed are not movies or heavy movies. They involve the player being emotional attachment and feeling the weigh of the story. Watching gameplay for few minutes is fine. But watching an entire play through does not mean you have experienced it.

Madao

it's kind of interesting how Nintendo is one of the companies most set on making content ID claims and yet they have the games least affected by watching videos of said games since their games are 99% gameplay and there's almost no story to spoil (who would pass on a game like SM3DW just because theyw atched the cutscenes and the ending?)

I definitely understand preventing monetization on straight trailer rips, where the user puts in absolutely no effort besides reposting, but when you're discussing the treatment of Let's Plays and walkthroughs with your legal team, I please ask that you keep in mind that the big sites are currently advertising on straight up captured footage with little to no commentary: http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-last-of-us/videos/?page=3

I'm going to guess IGN made an agreement with Naughty Dog and they get a cut of every ad that runs on those pages. I may be totally wrong, but that's what I'm guessing happens.

I think that will actually be the final judgement on this. Youtubers get a smaller cut, publishers/developers get a cut, and of course, Google still gets their cut.

Armaros

it's kind of interesting how Nintendo is one of the companies most set on making content ID claims and yet they have the games least affected by watching videos of said games since their games are 99% gameplay and there's almost no story to spoil (who would pass on a game like SM3DW just because theyw atched the cutscenes and the ending?)

Nintendo has it in their mission statement to be as backwards as possible with regards to digital content and the internet in general.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yes they could indeed.

We know but blip has a far better history of having good relationships with copyright holders then youtube has ever had.
That is why most movie reviewers are on blip or have their own flash player with ads.

Entire tgwtg website = blip
red letter media = blip
http://cinemassacre.com (aka avgn) = blip

Good relationships, or are they just off the radar? (for now)

Alienous

I don't understand how the cut-off of multiple revenue streams benefits anyone. Commentators, Publishers, Developers ... everyone loses out.

It all seems a bit unnecessarily fucked; I don't get how any of this leads to any situation beneficial for any of the parties involved.

arne

I understand that you want to protect your IP, but I think the backlash could be fairly significant if one person/small team YT personalities are blocked from providing the same content as a larger outlet, or in some cases, providing even more content through commentary and personality. While IGN has more control of their content on their website, one could see this giving credence to the notion that bigger organizations get preferential treatment and continue to succeed by making sure the "little guy" can't advance.

You've been great with responding to the community, and I think everyone appreciates you even acknowledging the issue here on the board (I think most companies would demand employees to say nothing until an official message had been drafted), so I hope you don't read this as an aggressive post; I justed want to point out a possible talking point when this discussion does come up.

As far as I can tell, our games (and likely no other SCEA first party game, at the very least) should be claimed this way purely on a video footage side (with some exceptions for things we/they are actively looking for and claiming/blocking). That's the way it is now (with the disclaimer that it could change at any time for any reason, especially since I don't work within the YT team at SCEA!)

If there's a claim that changes monetization options on our content, then it seems it comes from a third-party claim, music claim, other video claim, or something else going on.

Either way, I know the YT team at SCEA is keeping an eye on what's happening with first party content.

Either way, I do feel we should at least write up a policy or guidelines doc for our own content.

arne

I'm going to guess IGN made an agreement with Naughty Dog and they get a cut of every ad that runs on those pages. I may be totally wrong, but that's what I'm guessing happens.

Nope, their ad revenue is their ad revenue.

Anyway, that aspect of big guys versus small guys on same content is a bit moot for us and our content - see above.

Nope, their ad revenue is their ad revenue.

Anyway, that aspect of big guys versus small guys on same content is a bit moot for us and our content - see above.

No problem. I was wrong and can admit that. Took Occam's Razor too far. I'm no genius, but maybe look into that. Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty don't need all those extra pizzas. :)

youtube is losing money, all these publishers making claims are losing face..who gains the most out of this? there's some shady shit going on.
Youtube, more ads on more videos=more revenue=youtube no longer losing money. It is the reason why youtube were so aggressive with this to begin with. We saw phase 1 with Nintendo and trying to ask Notch and now we are in phase 2.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Good relationships, or are they just off the radar? (for now)

iirc when film makers/studios contact Blip to remove some reviews, Blip actually stand and support their video producers and they don't just put automatic robot system that kill everything or just shut down their channels like youtube they actually more in touch with the video producers and the don't just do what studios want with no reasons. they see the review and put it back if it's under fair use. that why movie reviewers prefer Blip.

tait269

From Ubisoft

As you’re probably aware, many YouTubers this week have suddenly been hit with various copyright claims related to in-game audio. In June last year, Ubisoft set out its policy opening the door for channels to make videos using game content and to monetise bespoke content.

If you happen to be hit with claims on any of your Ubisoft content, it may be that some of the audio is being auto-matched against the music catalogue on our digital stores - it might show up as being claimed by our distributor ‘idol’. In such cases please take the following steps and I can get it cleared for you.

Codemasters

YouTube user? Just to clarify we have no problem with you using our games for videos, or monetising it. This is our current official policy.
https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/410727171649314816

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, YT actually claimed a copyright breach with a video I uploaded yesterday with music completely made by me and an artwork completely made by me. This is getting out of hand fast.

Wow, YT actually claimed a copyright breach with a video I uploaded yesterday with music completely made by me and an artwork completely made by me. This is getting out of hand fast.
What I dislike is how you have to give so much personal info to contest and there are no consequences for the person or company who has mistakenly reported you.

Twitch honestly seems to be the spot I am seeing dudes getting 100 dollar donations within a few hours of playing, on top of their subscribers, on top of their ads, play one game consistently that is semi popular & Split it up with a different game every so often...have a good personality , be funny....and you'll probably eventually make a decent dollar.

I was kind of shocked to see how much certain guys who arent mega popular get massive donations

Lol, I don't.

Then why do you care? Surely you're just winding yourself up about some guy when you could just ignore him and do something more productive?

I mean, he - like all other Youtubers - is not charging for his content, and to ignore him is as simple as not subscribing to his channel. Isn't it a bit unreasonable to wish unemplopyment on a person you never have to interact with if you choose not to?

Anyway, to avoid derailing this thread:

My channel has been hit with quite a few music nofications now, but I don't monetize videos so I'm perfectly fine. In the future I might consider monetizing my videos, but I will stick to those providers that allow me to do so. Which probably means my idea of a SSF4 video diary/commentary show is probably not going to be on that list. :(

Little do you know that that song IS now owned by Warner Music! They stole your jeeeeerb

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
From Ubisoft

Codemasters

Good. more publishers need to follow.

the hell? this is insane. I guess Google stupid robot system just think it's similar music and flag it.

gogoud

I'd actually be fine with this because it'd mean this piece of shit would be out of a job.

I would agree, but it's their source of income. A lot of users are getting hit. And a lot of users who make a penny a month from their hard work playing video games and exposing their personality to the internet. However this particular user is indeed annoying. What I find disgusting is that his main complaint is that he can't get money from his videos. Later on he complains how other people get affected. But his main complaint is that he can't make moneys. Which I agree, greedy users who only complain about this because they can't get paid should be punished. Making gameplay videos should be about expressing your passion of playing video games not about making money. You can also tell when you watch videos if or not the gamer is a genuine gamer who just wants to share their experiences with the world, or if they just want to make a quick buck and jumped on the money train. Honest users who complain that their freedom to express thing creatively is under attack and those should not be punished.

But there's nothing that can be done. Maybe within a week or two of boycotting the gaming side of youtube, we might get some sort of resolve. But chances are we won't, since youtube isn't primarily made out of gaming videos. But I do hope this gets resolved
shortly after the greedy users who make a buttload of money and disrespect their fans on a constant basis switch their distribution services.

one_kill

I would agree, but it's their source of income. A lot of users are getting hit. And a lot of users who make a penny a month from their hard work playing video games and exposing their personality to the internet. However this particular user is indeed annoying. What I find disgusting is that his main complaint is that he can't get money from his videos. Later on he complains how other people get affected. But his main complaint is that he can't make moneys. Which I agree, greedy users who only complain about this because they can't get paid should be punished. Making gameplay videos should be about expressing your passion of playing video games not about making money. You can also tell when you watch videos if or not the gamer is a genuine gamer who just wants to share their experiences with the world, or if they just want to make a quick buck and jumped on the money train. Honest users who complain that their freedom to express thing creatively is under attack and those should not be punished.

But there's nothing that can be done. Maybe within a week or two of boycotting the gaming side of youtube, we might get some sort of resolve. But chances are we won't, since youtube isn't primarily made out of gaming videos. But I do hope this gets resolved
shortly after the greedy users who make a buttload of money and disrespect their fans on a constant basis switch their distribution services.
There's no need to discriminate between "greedy" and "honest" users. They're all doing the same thing.

"Honest" users should be producing their own original content if they want to express their creativity, opinions, etc.

Kainazzo

I do not understand this. Tho games you listed are not movies or heavy movies. They involve the player being emotional attachment and feeling the weigh of the story. Watching gameplay for few minutes is fine. But watching an entire play through does not mean you have experienced it.

And that's the thing: I don't have to experience it! I can see what happens in those games without having to invest the time, emotions, or money. No frustration of failure; I can either spend several days bumbling my way through a campaign, or get it done in a few hours by just watching the good parts. If I'm not satisfied with the ending, I wasn't very invested anyway, so I'm never truly disappointed. Comes in handy for games like Mass Effect 3 and Goodbye Deponia.

As I've said though, sometimes the playthroughs make me want to experience it for myself, and so I do. It just doesn't tend to happen unless the game is especially open or arcade-like. I've been playing games for over 20 years, and honestly I feel my collection would already last me a lifetime. I was interested in Bullet Storm, Gears of War 3, God of War: Ascension, Halo 4, and the CoD campaigns. Thanks to Youtube I could satiate those curiosities in a day (each, not all at once), leaving no one the wiser that I hadn't actually played them. I don't lie about it though- got nobody to lie to anyway, haha.

Edit: Youtube playthroughs also let me "complete" games that I never could otherwise. Bayonetta, secret bosses in Cave games, final raid bosses in MMOs- things that involve skills above my own. I'm thankful I'm not in elementary school anymore, where I had to rely on playground rumors to figure out what happened next.

I wonder if 'one touch streaming' basically put us on a collision course for this eventuality.

That was probably the plan all along.

-YouTube is popular with gamers.
-Make cconsoles that are easy to record and add said videos to YouTube.
-Make it so where all uploaded video game videos benefit the manufacturer of the console.

/conspiracy

Obviously Sony/Microsoft aren't directly connected to these publishers, but this would be a perfect set up.

darkpower

Banned
Well, now it's becoming a complete mess: http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/12/10/youtube-contentid-flag-gaming-videos/

YouTube Is Suddenly Flagging A LOT Of Videos For Copyright Claims
By Sam Gutelle December 10, 2013
YouTube Is Suddenly Flagging A LOT Of Videos For Copyright Claims
contentid-claim-total-biscuit-600x369.jpg

When we first heard of YouTube’s plan to begin screening videos from Affiliate channels of YouTube Multi-Channel Networks and subjecting those videos to a process of monetization review, we figured we had at least another month and an explanatory blog post still to come before the changes would take effect. Apparently, however, some of the changes associated with the new system may have come sooner than we expected.

Dozens of prominent YouTubers mostly in the gaming vertical are reporting that Content ID has flagged tens, and sometimes hundreds of their videos. What’s more is many of the copyright claims are coming from suspicious third-party sources who – in some cases – don’t appear to be the owners of the questionable content.

Many of the creators whose videos have been flagged are among the most popular on YouTube. TheRadBrad, a gamer whose walkthroughs have earned him nearly two million subscribers and multiple appearances on our Top YouTube Channel Charts, has seen many of his videos flagged, with background music serving as the culprit. Other gamers, such as Tetraninja and GhostRobo, have seen their videos cited as well, with offenses sometimes as trivial as infringing background music playing within a game.

BbE7NkxIIAAI-pv.png

theRadBrad @thaRadBrad
Follow
YouTube came in like a wrecking ball.
5:28 PM - 9 Dec 2013

While this isn’t necessarily the upcoming monetization review process in action, the Content ID claims seem to be mostly targeting channels that are either Affiliate channels of an MCN, or not with an MCN at all. We’ve reached out to several YouTubers in the gaming vertical who claim to be in a Managed relationship with their multi-channel network, and none are receiving the quantity of Content ID claims as the channels mentioned above and below.

These copyright claims raises the question of why gaming companies (who are not Nintendo) would want to remove videos that popularize and bring exposure to their games. But in the vast majority of these cases, it’s not the game companies flagging videos; many claims have come from third parties seemingly unaffiliated.

TotalBiscuit has brought to note a channel named 4GamerMovie that is flagging footage from the game Metro: Last Light.

proxy.jpg

TotalBiscuit @Totalbiscuit
Follow
Some channel called "4GamerMovie" is going around claiming a bunch of Metro Last Light footage apparently - http://bit.ly/1bRYPuD

These unjust claims are reportedly rampant among the hundreds of videos that have been flagged thus far. Even MCNs (like Machinima and its head of Affiliate Network) seem to have been blindsided by the wave of Content ID claims.
OpTicJ ✔ @OpTicJ
Follow
Machinima Partners. Getting news of all the 3rd party claim stuff across YT. We're on it. Love all of your faces <3. Keep you posted!
6:53 PM - 9 Dec 2013

But look for those MCNs and the creators to begin fighting back soon. Many of these claims will likely get thrown out as they are revealed to be improper (and any creator who believes his or her video has received a claim in error can immediately put in a dispute through their YouTube video manager). For now, however, many creators are left with tens, if not hundreds of videos, that are not able to generate any revenue because of the copyright claims. It’s a mini-crisis for YouTube, its networks, and those networks’ partners, one that will hopefully get sorted out sooner rather than later.

- See more at: http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/12/10/youtube-contentid-flag-gaming-videos/#sthash.SPrI1XSa.dpuf

I think AngryJoe said that this would be abused, and I said this would be a slow burn censorship. We're both right.

And why hasn't YouTube even TRIED to clear any of this up? They HAVE to be seeing the outlash over everything, right?

And why hasn't YouTube even TRIED to clear any of this up? They HAVE to be seeing the outlash over everything, right?

What? That's exactly what YouTube is trying to do, if the information about the upcoming January 2014 change is correct. Provide proof you're allowed to monetize content before uploading your video &#8594; and then you avoid all bogus claims.

People getting bogus claims right now can without problem dispute them if they are allowed to post their respective footage. It sure is annoying when you've got lots of videos, but it will soon no more be required.

darkpower

Banned
What? That's exactly what YouTube is trying to do, if the information about the upcoming January 2014 change is correct. Provide proof you're allowed to monetize content before uploading your video &#8594; and then you avoid all bogus claims.

People getting bogus claims right now can without problem dispute them if they are allowed to post their respective footage. It sure is annoying when you've got lots of videos, but it will soon no more be required.

One, that's not what I meant!

And two, they already DO have that proof. It's called the Fair Use Doctrine!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
One, that's not what I meant!

And two, they already DO have that proof. It's called the Fair Use Doctrine!

"Fair use" is neither international nor does it allow to post hours and hours of videogame footage. I have no idea why everyone thinks that would be the case, it's literally 1 minute on wikipedia to check what is covered by "Fair Use".

Top Bottom