• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Diddy Kong Racing 2 became Excitebots; Monster Games working on DKR2 for WiiU

Make WiiU the GOAT of kart racing games.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Mario Kart 8
Diddy Kong Racing 2 (
with Banjo-Kazooie
)
K-Zero

Do it.

nikatapi

Not that interested, i think Nintendo needs to diversify WiiU's lineup more, so i'm not sure if another kart-type racing game would be a good move, even though i'm sure it would be good.

Sify64

Not that interested, i think Nintendo needs to diversify WiiU's lineup more, so i'm not sure if another kart-type racing game would be a good move, even though i'm sure it would be good.

What type of games do you think Nintendo should be developing/securing then to diversify the Wii U's lineup?

Poona

I wonder if they could just take whatever was worked on for Donkey Kong Racing (which was supposed to be the sequel to Diddy Kong Racing) and continue from there?

http://youtu.be/0ThbbN3o5yw

Then that would also give extra variety to the game as then it wouldn't be another Kart racer but instead riding upon animal friends.

ZeroX03

Banned
Diddy Kong Racing 2 for Wii U combines the animal vehicle ideas of Excitebots with the hub world single player adventure of the original Diddy Kong Racing. The game will feature both local and online multiplayer, as well as using your GamePad screen to find collectable balloons on the map.

Kensuke Tanabe, the producer of Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze, pitched the idea of Dillon (from Dillon’s Rolling Western) to be one of the racers in the game. Tanabe was the producer of Dillon’s Rolling Western, and he liked the idea of having a roster of lesser known Nintendo characters.

Before Diddy Kong Racing, Diddy Kong had always seemed like a sidekick more than a star. Tanabe thought that the concept of lesser known Nintendo characters “fighting to be Nintendo’s big star” could prove to be interesting for Diddy Kong Racing. Characters such as Mallo (Pushmo) and Rusty (Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball) were also added as racers to fill out the roster.

This sounds way too fucking awesome.

hqdefault.jpg

Keep dreamin. Monster is 25 people... they aint doing it without a hell of a lot of help, unless Retro is assisting them again... But then again, previously, when would Retro have been helping them on DKR 2? They were crunching to get Returns out and then were IMMEDIATELY assigned to MK 7...

Doesn't make sense at all. I still think they're making a brand new 3DS entry for DKC.

sinnergy

Sounds awesome, almost to good to be true, so it probably is..

But I would love a new Diddy Kong Racing, I played the first one a lot as a kid.

Keep dreamin. Monster is 25 people... they aint doing it without a hell of a lot of help, unless Retro is assisting them again... But then again, previously, when would Retro have been helping them on DKR 2? They were crunching to get Returns out and then were IMMEDIATELY assigned to MK 7...

Doesn't make sense at all. I still think they're making a brand new 3DS entry for DKC.

So 25 people aren't enough for DKR, but they're enough for DKC?

Shiggy

Aβydoς;120473221 said:

3DS games require a lot less resources. Monster Games certainly cannot work on a new HD racer on its own.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Would it really be worth it to buy the DKR cast? They won't get Banjo, Conker and Tiptup anyway, because they are established in strictly Rare-series. Diddy and Krunch they own anyway, so we're only talking Timber, Bumper, T.T, Taj, Wizpig and Pipsy, out of these, I guess the only remarkable character would be Taj and Wizpig...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Using the Mario Kart 8 engine, and DKCR / TF assets that should be doable, shouldn't it? I'd be happy for a new DKR anyway :).

Looks like pure speculation, more than a rumour.

Certainly, it would be MEGATONish if true.

Diddy Kong Racing is the best kart racer ever and trounces easily even MK8

Aswell

I hate this kind of rumours somehow, because I really WANT to believe it but I don't want to be massively disappointed if this does not turn out to be true.
It would be awesome if true, though.

Aβydoς;120473221 said:

Has nothing to do with the franchises, but rather platforms. An HD console takes a hell of a lot more resources to develop for than a handheld.

El Odio

Banned
Maybe its cuase its late and I'm not reading it right but the article makes it sound like this project was done long ago and it's just sitting around. If Retro got asked to help with MK7 because of their contributions to this supposed project shouldn't it be out already?

ramparter

Banned
1) Donkey Kong Barrel Blast is a really bad game according to reviewers - never touched his one personally.

2) Diidy Kong Racing DS was not a good port, I tried it and it was pretty unenjoyable - I remember something about having stupid gimmicky control ideas.

Whoever based their decisions on the sales and reviews of these games must be really stupid.

Anyway, people seem to really like Excite games so it's a big YES from me, do it Nintendo/Monsters!!!

The world needs more kart racers after the short life of Crash Team Racing... :'(
Bring it on and let Monster Games take charge of a big release. I'd be keen to see a new DKR on Wii U for sure.

-PXG-

I remember beating all of TT's times on every course when I was a kid. That motherfucker. I still have nightmares about it

Danneee

I'd rather see a new Excite game. Or anything from Nintendo that isn't filled to the brim with their usual characters...

For a real Diddy Kong Racing 2 including the different vehicle types (karts, planes, hovercrafts) and a complete adventure i would definitely buy a Wii U

I'd suggest Nintendo have the most compelling and diverse line-up of any of the current systems.

Woah. Don't falsely excite me like that. Kart mania is running wild. Especially the thread about adding Wario Ware characters ro MK8. Oh boy....

nikatapi

What type of games do you think Nintendo should be developing/securing then to diversify the Wii U's lineup?

Well, there are some franchises that have been left aside, like Eternal Darkness, or F-Zero which is very different as a racing game. Even an Excitebots like game would be different to a kart racing game, and there are two good kart racing games on the WiiU already.

Jackano

"project is why Nintendo asked Retro to assist with Mario Kart 7′s development."

I think he is going a little too far with this. From what we know, they barely sent assets for one track design. Or did I miss information on this?
The whole rumor could be true, though #Teamreal

Gabe3208

Banned
How I wish this were true!!! Loved Diddy Kong racing back in the day, never really compared it to MK because it played differently and had a story and over-world, it was its own thing back then, but it was AWESOME!

Sify64

Well, there are some franchises that have been left aside, like Eternal Darkness, or F-Zero which is very different as a racing game. Even an Excitebots like game would be different to a kart racing game, and there are two good kart racing games on the WiiU already.

That doesn't really show much diversity. I thought you were referring to something completely new, rather than their old franchises

Top Bottom