• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR : Mario Kart 8 to feature a track editor?

Camjo-Z

Baby Park was awesome. One of the few tracks where I actually enjoy the pure item chaos.

Also Nintendo's no stranger to track editors, F-Zero Climax had a pretty good one. You could even share them through link cable or passwords.

t05bsO3.jpg

Fey

Banned
I may be forgetting, but didn't Nintendo say they plan for MK8 to make good use of the gamepad or something? :O

I'd say it's a divisive track, myself.

The idea is that it's small. Simple. Short. More laps rather than length. It's truly like an amusement park ride in that sense. Also, the item variety in Double Dash made Baby Park CRAZY at times. You'd be dodging giant bowser shells, banana peels, and fireballs all over the place.

This was a retro track for MKDS, right? I kinda wish they'd saved it for MK8.

Yeah, Baby Park was insanely fun. It was small and so everyone was always so close to each other, so it was always hectic and crazy. The special items in DD really did make it more special, though. It wasn't as fun in MKDS.

I wish Waluigi Pinball was saved for MK8. :( I wanna see it in HD, but it was already in 7.

Madao

Hmm. Does that mean you can do all that on the emulated version?

yup. using a different track editor that patches the rom, you can play custom tracks on emulator. that's how most people have been able to enjoy custom tracks in FZX without a 64DD for years.

stuminus3

Banned
Use the Wii U gamepad to edit the track on the fly while you race! Imagine the track deformation stuff in Excite Truck mixed with Trackmania all in real time on a second screen. New and exciting possibilities!

Or, y'know, just make it a giant fucking horn button. :-/

UPDATE: Newegg has removed the reference to customizing bikes and designing your own tracks from its listing.

Instead now Newegg uses part of the description available on Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 page.

Feel the rush as your kart rockets across the ceiling!

Race upside-down and along walls on anti-gravity tracks in the most action-fueled Mario Kart™ game yet! Take on racers across the globe and share videos of your greatest moments via Mario Kart TV.*

Driving up a waterfall or across the ceiling can provide an intense adrenaline rush, but that’s not all anti-gravity is good for. It also provides a wild new gameplay mechanic: if you collide into other racers in zero-g, you’ll earn speed boosts worth bragging about. Luckily, you can upload and share your best moments and watch your friends’ using the all-new Mario Kart TV.* Returning features include 12-player online play*, gliders, underwater racing, motorbikes, and custom karts. You can even race as Bowser’s seven minions, the Koopalings!

• Race along walls and upside-down on twisting anti-gravity racetracks!
• Share highlight videos of your greatest moments with friends via the Mario Kart TV feature and Miiverse™*
• Race and battle with friends locally* or connect online to play with random players from around the world*
• Fan favorite features from past Mario Kart™ games include gliders, underwater racing, motorbikes, mid-air tricks, and more
• For the first time ever, play as all seven of Bowser’s minions, the Koopalings!
• Crisp HD graphics and fluid animation offers players the most visually stunning Mario Kart™ yet

No mention of anything time-trial-related including online rankings, ghost sharing (uuh why don't mention it alongside Mario Kart TV/Miiverse??) or online tournaments while they were in Mario Kart Wii's description.
I'm genuinely starting to believe the Mario Kart 7 debacle (aka barebones time trial, battle and single-player content) will continue in Mario Kart 8.

Also still waiting for a proof of Iwata's statement during the E3 2013 Nintendo Direct (at 10:29), “Mario Kart 8 will offer the best collection of online multiplayer modes that the series has seen yet”, because so far there's absolutely no new multiplayer mode or anything.

The mention of the collision speed boost is interesting. I previously thought it would be worthless considering the time you lost while spinning, but apparently it is beneficial. Alongside triple mushrooms now rotating around players' vehicles, anti-gravity sections will provide some metagame change in multiplayer where you'd look for collisions, while in other sections you'd look for slipstreaming/drafting. This puts to rest the argument that anti-gravity sections are purely aesthetic and don't have actual impact on the game.

Teknoman

This is exactly the weird and arrogant reasoning I can see Nintendo using - a track editor "cheapening" the appreciation for their original, beautifully handwoven masterpiece tracks.

2zzrj1i.png

I actually kinda like this track. It´s still bullshit that such a simple tracks takes up a whole slot in a game that has to last for many years until the next game in the series comes out.

It´s also a shame that there has never been any kind of DLC for Mario Kart games.

Time out. I had no idea Baby Park was a Dr. Mario pill from aerial view.

Top Bottom