• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

Loefah

Banned
Using R1 to shoot on the DS4 seems less natural as your fingers rest over the triggers. It was different with the DS3. Still, choice is always a good thing.

nel e nel

Using R1 to shoot on the DS4 seems less natural as your fingers rest over the triggers. It was different with the DS3. Still, choice is always a good thing.

Only had a 360 last gen, so no experience with the DS3, so all this R1/L1 talk sounds like crazytown to me.

thenexus6

Please be true, if so D-Pad is switching to touchpad.

I have no idea why games like BF4 and other shooters / action game map items to the D-Pad thus making the player stop moving to equipment items. Being able to flick left, right, up and down with your right thumb on the touch pad is so much better.

?

- This is certainly good news for disabled gamers, but really, are there really enough disabled gamers for this to make a financial impact.

- The dev cost for the "what button did they press" is almost literally $0. It's most likely built into the game engine, and even if it's not, it's a couple hours of coding. So, multiple schemes really cost next to nothing, AND most devs don't bother with it now anyway. Do you really think that OS button mapping will reduce the devs costs? you can't be serious.

Creating a dynamic menu takes time. If it was 'nothing' then they would all do it for every game. Now they just don't need to think about it.

The big advantage is to disabled gamers, but personally there have been a few games I really dislike the Devs control decisions (LBP R for grab not square) that will be so nice to fix.

FireCloud

If PS4 ever gets a Hatsune Miku Project Diva game, I would NOT recommend using this feature. (Unless there is some sort of developer hook that allows them access to the remapped buttons [which I doubt there will be])

?

- This is certainly good news for disabled gamers, but really, are there really enough disabled gamers for this to make a financial impact.

- The dev cost for the "what button did they press" is almost literally $0. It's most likely built into the game engine, and even if it's not, it's a couple hours of coding. So, multiple schemes really cost next to nothing, AND most devs don't bother with it now anyway. Do you really think that OS button mapping will reduce the devs costs? you can't be serious.
Saves devs money on testing button configurations. No it doesn't cost nothing.

Nesther

If I can customize the layout on a game to game basis, I can see myself using it, otherwise, not really.

Still a cool addition for a lot of people, I'm sure.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
?

Providing full remapping of controls in a game is very expensive, both in time and money. Especially when compared against the actual gain of such a feature.

If Sony is willing/aiming to take over the responsibility of all this on a system level that's a huge load off the shoulders for developers.

JudgeN

Kool but my question is why did button remapping die during the PS2/PS3 era? I used to be standard during the SNES days.

Would this give us system level dead zone settings because THAT'S what I really want. My right stick if just bugging the hell out on several games because it won't sit dead center. It's making Odd world new and tasty impossible to play because Abe is constantly trying to aim a rock throw.

Please be true, if so D-Pad is switching to touchpad.

I have no idea why games like BF4 and other shooters / action game map items to the D-Pad thus making the player stop moving to equipment items. Being able to flick left, right, up and down with your right thumb on the touch pad is so much better.

doubt that's gonna be possible.

most likely digital buttons to digital ones only, and triggers to buttons will be mapped as "press trigger on max" when you press a button.

ps3 had analog buttons so when you press x to accelerate you cab press it gently or press it down hard and acceleration will vary.

now ps4 has digital buttons so that probably won't be possible.

b0bbyJ03

This is awesome. The feature's we've been getting do revolve around gaming first and foremost. Remote play and now this. I love it.

Slaythe

How would this help with Japanese layout ?

Only the confirm button changes but the gameplay is the same. So You have proper confirm button but reversed gameplay. not worth it. Unless game already lets you remap.

Only game that can work on is Kingdom Hearts. Where they (????????????) DECIDED to reverse the gameplay as well, making it cringe worthy when you re used to jp final mix. Jumping with circle seriously.. attack with X lol...

BadAss2961

Great feature. One of those things that's so obvious but has never happened before.

Games will have to start working with it so that button prompts change with peoples configurations.

smurfx

get some go again
omg! if i can reassign the sticks then i might finally bite and get a ps4. i can finally play fps games the way i want.

Top Bottom