• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment, launching January 23

For the people asking why there is a OLED screen on this attachment I ask how would you make a programmable button attachment?
It's an official product. Sony can add settings to the console or add an app, just like there's an app for the platinum headset. There is no need for the display.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
For the people asking why there is a OLED screen on this attachment I ask how would you make a programmable button attachment?

if it only replaced the triggers you could just have one button that change it from L1/R1 to L2/R2 but these paddles can replace any button on the controller so one screen/button was a better choice than having multiply switches.

1) Hold the “remap” button.
2) device beeps once.
3) press the button you wish to use for the left press.
4) the device beeps twice.
5) press the button you wish to use for the right press.
6) device plays a melody to say it’s synced.

Oh shit, I made it work simply, quickly and easily without a screen...

Tygeezy

If there's one thing Sony screwed up this gen is the controller. Goddamn this thing makes no sense. Why don't they add that OLED screen where u can actually see it and replace it with that AWFUL LOOKING and USELESS touch pad

smh
the touchpad is actually awesome, just criminally underused much like the gyroscope This dualshock is actually objectively the best, but devs refuse to maximize its potential. It's potential is realized on pc with steam input.

Tygeezy

You know that thing you never needed or asked for this entire generation?

Well here it is.
Packsaddles are very useful. You can now rotate the camera and use two face button actions which you couldn't do previously.

Last edited:
Today I learned that many people apparently have never heard of a scuff controller, don't understand why people want them, don't understand why people pay upwards of 200 dollars for them, and don't understand that this thing will be able to add the most wanted aspect of those crazy expensive controllers for just 30 dollars, which is about 1/4 the price of even the cheapest scuff controller.

Last edited:
Without looking at every post just wanted to share from the Q&A this is for the DS4 only will not work on the DS5.

So seems to me it will be built in on the DS5 in some form.

If the dual shock 5 has two back paddles already, then games can be designed for that, and their last-gen ports could require this accessory. At that point, you're no longer offering to "re-map" face buttons, but adding two completely new buttons, which I'm guessing is what will ultimately happen with this thing. If not, it's at least one way they could go.

Personally, I'm hoping that the standard DS5 will have more than two paddles, though. Once you've gotten used to not taking your thumbs off the stick for most commands, you just want everything to work like that.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You can't have Gyro and AA batteries in a controller at the same time, so at least that's not their fault.

We know nothing about what the new pad Xbox is using. Nothing other than it has textured grips, a wank dpad and a share button.

But even then, The Wii used batteries and lasted ages.

The new Xbox pad could have surprises hidden yet. I would be VERY surprised if it used batteries and wasn’t usb-c. I want them to add a gyroscope and haptic triggers, but I can’t see them doing it.

But then... there’s a reason the Xbox one pad charge lasts 5 times longer than my ps4 one.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

If it's just for remapping, wouldn't e-ink be as effective and much lighter on the battery.
If this is how the Ds5 will be, I'm all for getting rid of clicking the sticks for L3/R3.

Tygeezy

We know nothing about what the new pad Xbox is using. Nothing other than it has textured grips, a wank dpad and a share button.

But even then, The Wii used batteries and lasted ages.

The new Xbox pad could have surprises hidden yet. I would be VERY surprised if it used batteries and wasn’t usb-c. I want them to add a gyroscope and haptic triggers, but I can’t see them doing it.

But then... there’s a reason the Xbox one pad charge lasts 5 times longer than my ps4 one.
I will be extremely disappointed if it doesn't have a gyroscope. Gyros need to be mainstream at this point and Microsoft not including one slows adoption.

onQ123

1) Hold the “remap” button.
2) device beeps once.
3) press the button you wish to use for the left press.
4) the device beeps twice.
5) press the button you wish to use for the right press.
6) device plays a melody to say it’s synced.

Oh shit, I made it work simply, quickly and easily without a screen...

So complicate things instead of using a simple touch interface that everyone is used to when they want to use the paddles for different buttons in different games?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So complicate things instead of using a simple touch interface that everyone is used to when they want to use the paddles for different buttons in different games?

Dude you’re using a BS stick on bit of plastic. If you want something professional, get an Elite cont... oh wait...

Mista

Banned
I think this is a really bad marketing situation caused by the LCD and calling it a "back button" attachment. At first, I thought this was a joke, like Sony were releasing a new attachment with a giant button on the back of the controller just so you can go back to a previous menu with the press of a single giant button.

The fact is, this isn't a "back button" add-on, it's a paddle add-on, and it's a great price. This will give you two added buttons on your controller, and it's an official Sony product. I've been waiting forever for something like this. Finally, another company released a similar product about a year or two ago, and I've been using that ever since. I can't tell you how invaluable paddles are in so many games. If you don't believe me, ask anyone who has ever used a scuff controller, which costs about 4 times as much as this does.

We also don't know how much more this will drain the battery, or even if the screen will be on at all times. It's also not like the screen is going to feature a 1080p resolution on the back of a controller, on a circular button for 30 dollars. It's just designed to show you which buttons you've mapped and what profile is being used. It might not even make much of a difference in the life of the battery.

Anyhow, this is what I'm using currently, and I wouldn't ever want to play a game again without it, or something with even more paddles:

I love when someone convinces me with a well written post. Thank you man

I got a Scuff for Xbox, Nacon for PS4 and Pro for Switch. So far I'm good but for a cost maybe this will be good

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
How is this even a response to what I said?

You’re moaning about my solution because you can’t set up individual profiles. No shit. You want better results, pay more. There’s also nothing stopping what i said having that.

It does NOT need a screen. More so on a controller with as shit a battery as the pa4 pad.

onQ123

You’re moaning about my solution because you can’t set up individual profiles. No shit. You want better results, pay more. There’s also nothing stopping what i said having that.

It does NOT need a screen. More so on a controller with as shit a battery as the pa4 pad.

That don't make sense when they already have a solution that has 3 profiles that you can switch between with a simple click of the button.

You proved yourself wrong

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
That don't make sense when they already have a solution that has 3 profiles that you can switch between with a simple click of the button.

You proved yourself wrong

I proved myself wrong by offering an alternative to not using a screen...?

Erm, ok mate. Keep talking bollocks.

Last edited:
That's interesting and I like it as an option.
But I would not want it as a standard in next controller as I personally think paddles suck ass.
Wonder if it improves headphones jack amplification or anything ?

This also probably means that ps5 will have paddles and this is their forward compatibility for the controlelr ?
Why would you need them for forward compatibility when they only replicate existing functions?
By releasing PS4 and windows utilities, the same as the elite.

The Alien

Banned
Pretty late in the gen to be releasing, no? Assume some PS5 beta here, but still late in game for that, no?

Otherwise kinda cool concept to add additional and alternate functionality. Though wonder if Oled needed? Drop that and the price by $10 and that'd be cooler.

will help with battery, as OLEDs can shut off pixels that are black, so in theory it will use less power than if you had an LED which had to be lit all times
No No No. You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to go 'This is utterly stupid' OR 'What are Sony engineers smoking' OR 'LOL the DS4 battery is now dead' or a combination of them.

if it only replaced the triggers you could just have one button that change it from L1/R1 to L2/R2 but these paddles can replace any button on the controller so one screen/button was a better choice than having multiply switches.
I don't get this either. An OLED screen is a great addition for accessories like these. I'd like to be able to visually see what profile i am on playing a game. Many of the other accessories like these have physical buttons and it's hard to tell which profile you're on as its usually just an option 1, 2 or 3 on the accessory that you flick the switch to.
Its also OLED which is incredibly power efficient.

I really don't get the concern regarding this accessory LOL. It ticks all the right boxes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can't have Gyro and AA batteries in a controller at the same time, so at least that's not their fault.
GNmHvWr.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why release this add on if the next controller that's out in less than a year has it?
Maybe the PS5 will have this functionality built in? And this is just a way to convert existing Dualshock 4 controllers into a functional Dualshock 5.

Tygeezy

it's still trash... I have steam controller and spent days learning it. The gyro is useful to move mouse from a couch but not during aiming... at least not to me
So let me get this straight.. It's trash because you think it's trash nevermind the objective measurements we have in the aim map video and people actually competing in csgo with a gyroscope.

Top Bottom