• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
On a technical level The Last of Us looks better. Much of why Pikmin 3 looks good comes down to the art mixed with some neat tech. I stand by my claims of the Wii origins being evident: geometry is pretty low poly, textures are a mixed bag, and Olimar/companions are pretty basic looking. Great looking game, but not a technical show piece by any stretch.

Trine 2 I don't know because I haven't seen direct feed footage of the Wii U version. I know the devs claim it looks better which is cool, but I need direct feed to say for sure. The screenshots in the press kit were maxed out supersampled PC shots. You can find most of them on Steam.

Yep. I agree. The Last of Us looked much better and was working much harder at the technical level.

LCGeek

formerly sane
On a technical level The Last of Us looks better. Much of why Pikmin 3 looks good comes down to the art mixed with some neat tech. I stand by my claims of the Wii origins being evident: geometry is pretty low poly, textures are a mixed bag, and Olimar/companions are pretty basic looking. Great looking game, but not a technical show piece by any stretch.

Trine 2 I don't know because I haven't seen direct feed footage of the Wii U version. I know the devs claim it looks better which is cool, but I need direct feed to say for sure. The screenshots in the press kit were maxed out supersampled PC shots. You can find most of them on Steam.

Don't see how anyone cannot argue Pikmin 3 assets aren't Wii/GC based it's clear some of the models are exactly the same or have some texture upgrades. Only thing that I liked is the game seems like butter fps wise and it's not hard in the other 2 to find places to spam and bring fps to it's crutches. The water and lighting are the only real improvements I've been seeing besides resolution.

Log4Girlz

Yep. I agree. The Last of Us looked much better and was working much harder at the technical level.

Last of Us and Beyond look like next gen titles. Seriously if I didn't know they were coming out for the PS3, I would believe it if someone said they were first gen PS4 titles. I would hope for better texture quality and lighting further down the line with successive software cycles, but I would be very happy with the graphics.

I'm being serious. Nothing on the Wii U even comes close.

Last of Us and Beyond look like next gen titles. Seriously if I didn't know they were coming out for the PS3, I would believe it if someone said they were first gen PS4 titles. I would hope for better texture quality and lighting further down the line with successive software cycles, but I would be very happy with the graphics.

someone send this to the higher Nintendo employees...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Absolutely. It was very very impressive. It looked like a high end PC game.

TUROK

I hadn't really considered what the pad would do to power on the system. I know you're pretty good on this stuff. Considering how many pixels it has to do vs ps3/360 think nintendo really gave it enough juice considering it's pushing more overall than the other 2 are?
It's hard to say without knowing the exact specs of the GPU, but there's little doubt in my mind that it's more capable than the 360 and PS3, even when regarding the two screen usage. Maybe developers find Nintendo's graphical API confusing. I dunno.

I think it should be producing better looking games than the competition, but who knows. Maybe they underclocked the GPU by a lot in order to keep the TDP down. It is a very small console, after all.

Log4Girlz

Absolutely. It was very very impressive. It looked like a high end PC game.

Yep, I mean sure, PC has better resolution, image quality etc. The really picky PC-philes will vomit a little in their mouths if they hear me comparing the game to a PC title, but I don't give a fuck, prior to my knowledge of the actual system it was developed for, those games could have easily been mistaken for high end PC stuff. Yes, this is after seeing Star Wars 1313 and Watchdogs.

Nintendo had glorified Wii games :/

Show me what you got Retro.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dunno if I'd call Beyond and The Last of Us looking like next gen :p. But that's the PC elitist in me talking. 1313 was unbelievably pretty though, as expected, being legitimately next-gen.

Don't see how anyone cannot argue Pikmin 3 assets aren't Wii/GC based it's clear some of the models are exactly the same or have some texture upgrades. Only thing that I liked is the game seems like butter fps wise and it's not hard in the other 2 to find places to spam and bring fps to it's crutches. The water and lighting are the only real improvements I've been seeing besides resolution.

I really liked the use of DOF. Someone said it in another thread, but the hybrid of realistic environments with cartoony characters works pretty nicely, especially with the DOF. The IQ is nice and soft and sweet.

The water reflections were weirdly absent. Someone mentioned that too, how the title screen has water reflections but none of the gameplay does.

Eteric Rice

I feel like I'm the only one not that impressed with 1313. Watch Dog looked great, but not what I expect next gen.

I don't know, it feels like the leaps are getting smaller, or at least harder for me to notice.

cyberheater

Two Souls also blew any WiiU game shown away. Amazing stuff.

Xun

I feel like I'm the only one not that impressed with 1313. Watch Dog looked great, but not what I expect next gen.

I don't know, it feels like the leaps are getting smaller, or at least harder for me to notice.
It's also hard to judge since we're in the weird transition period.

I dunno if I'd call Beyond and The Last of Us looking like next gen :p. But that's the PC elitist in me talking. 1313 was unbelievably pretty though, as expected, being legitimately next-gen.

I really liked the use of DOF. Someone said it in another thread, but the hybrid of realistic environments with cartoony characters works pretty nicely, especially with the DOF. The IQ is nice and soft and sweet.

The water reflections were weirdly absent. Someone mentioned that too, how the title screen has water reflections but none of the gameplay does.

Where can i see the 1313 decent footage?

cyberheater

1313 was almost GCI level of quality. I don't know how anyone couldn't be impressed with that.

Log4Girlz

Well 1313 is a souped up UE 3 game. And yeah, I understand what you mean, there are some diminishing returns. My biggest gripe is that with more and more advanced shaders, I just see more and more layers of like...shininess. The future is lighting...we don't seem there yet.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Nintendo has a habit of doing this I just hope with time they iron out the consistency of the look. This game reminds of me waverace and or luigs mansion design awesome in some areas but the bad or average parts really have a jarring effect to the whole.

The Dof and the resolution really make this game pop for me knowing my lcd can do this 1to1 alone has me giddy well not as much P-100.

z0m3le

Banned

That has far more to do with Dev time, Maturity of the system and budget. (just pointing it out)

Wii U from even the specs we are looking at in the OP, has no obvious reason why it couldn't handle say Watch Dogs. Come on Ubisoft, take my AC3 money and announce WD for WUN.

Ryoku

What is that?
Beyond. It's Beyond: Two Souls.

I'll say, Last of Us and Beyond looked impressive as hell. Blew my mind, certainly. BUT, Beyond has terrible frame rates so far (as seen in the thirty minute gameplay) and is essentially one long interactive cutscene. That doesn't say anything about the graphics, though, which are amazing.

Log4Girlz

That has far more to do with Dev time, Maturity of the system and budget. (just pointing it out)

Wii U from even the specs we are looking at in the OP, has no obvious reason why it couldn't handle say Watch Dogs. Come on Ubisoft, take my AC3 money and announce WD for WUN.

I think the hardware specs as stated so far is enough to provide noticeably superior to Uncharted/Halo4/Last of Us/Gears of War 4/God of War 4 graphics. None of the Nintendo games even approaches any of those top tier last gen games. I've said before in the WUST thread that making such games will not be trivial, as it takes a major budgetary investment and experience.

I hold out for what Retro is working on. They have a knack for creating pretty games and they have a lot of talent right now.

I don't disagree, as I've said the same previously in the thread.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where can i see the 1313 decent footage?

Direct feed here.

untitled-2pd9fz.gif

untitled-30ja1z.gif

untitled-5lixke.gif

Eteric Rice

1313 was almost GCI level of quality. I don't know how anyone couldn't be impressed with that.

That's the thing, though. To me Gears 3 looked nearly CG, Uncharted looked nearly CG, many games looked close to me at first sight. The only time I'd ever notice problems is when I looked for them (low texture quality, low poly stuff, etc).

I guess I take stuff visually as a whole package, so I don't notice the problems.

Even the Samaritan demo didn't impress me.

Kenka

Can't believe people are sweating something that in the console space is a joke and has been despite the power being there. AA is not going be on the top of the list for devs actually learning an hd based nintendo system.

LCGeek
formerly sane(Today, 01:34 PM)

Please read the post I quoted.

Then why are you still here -> Und tschüss
Right. Let's fuck off.

When was that said? also seems like pretty weird stuff to be mad about, these are all games coming out this xmas or before... those other conferences are 90%+ about games coming in 2013... quite a huge difference IMO.
It's been posted in the Nintendo conference thread.

cyberheater

Beyond. It's Beyond: Two Souls.

I'll say, Last of Us and Beyond looked impressive as hell. Blew my mind, certainly. BUT, Beyond has terrible frame rates so far (as seen in the thirty minute gameplay) and is essentially one long interactive cutscene. That doesn't say anything about the graphics, though, which are amazing.

Lord know what that dev team will do with PS4. I'm expecting something that looks like a CGI movie.

Log4Girlz

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477196

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU&HD=1

I really liked this Luminous engine tech demo. Sure, its not a game like 1313, but still, I thought it was a notch or two above.

Lord know what that dev team will do with PS4. I'm expecting something that looks like a CGI movie.

The video I linked IMO looks better than a lot of CGI movies in terms of design...IQ isn't there though, but man I did enjoy it.

z0m3le

Banned
I don't disagree, as I've said the same previously in the thread.

yeah, I meant to add (just point it out to everyone reading these) btw about diminishing returns, have you seen the FF engine yet? it definitely impressed me, though thinking back to 2006 with the FF13 reveal, I know that a huge problem with realizing those graphics, is that gameplay is shot from 1 angle, and the animations won't be a fluid for obvious reasons. Also... no shaky cam, at least hopefully!

Edit: I see we are now on this topic. Excellent

Log4Girlz

yeah, I meant to add (just point it out to everyone reading these) btw about diminishing returns, have you seen the FF engine yet? it definitely impressed me, though thinking back to 2006 with the FF13 reveal, I know that a huge problem with realizing those graphics, is that gameplay is shot from 1 angle, and the animations won't be a fluid for obvious reasons. Also... no shaky cam, at least hopefully!

Just posted it bwahahaha.

cyberheater

That's the thing, though. To me Gears 3 looked nearly CG, Uncharted looked nearly CG, many games looked close to me at first sight. The only time I'd ever notice problems is when I looked for them (low texture quality, low poly stuff, etc).

I guess I take stuff visually as a whole package, so I don't notice the problems.

Even the Samaritan demo didn't impress me.

Well, I don't think you're going to be impressed by much next gen then.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Pikmin3 just use lot of DoF, but 720p no AA like lot of other WiiU games
If you're referring to Al's B3D post regarding the gamekult-posted shots - those have AA.

MYE

1313 looked good but....i wasnt in shock or anything.
Same thing for Watch Dogs.

N64 to PS2 was impressive. This is just neat.

LCGeek

formerly sane

That's not the problem if you actually read those being nuanced about the issue it's pretty simple. Yes it's impressive in the quality of the work being done but a common trick to make things good in realtime 3d is making simple environments IE corridors which the gifs clear show.

Early CGI is beatable though don't ever try to convince me that current CGI is beatable by a console for a lot of basic reasons like lighting texturing and animation alone I laugh at this suggestion.

In terms of real time this is pretty amazing a console is finally getting to a point pcs did a few years ago with more consistency. If ubisoft is already doing this before any solid next gen efforts actually come out it bolds well for next generation. I'm already pumped with the basics of all the next gen console if devs can't do it with this much power it's really on them and how they deal with the process.

I hated this gen for a lot reasons now that graphics can be pushed again we will see somethings that really have been hiding in the back.

remnant

Banned

don't bother. He's been doing this all day

MDX

I asked this in an other thread, didnt get a response...

How long would it take typically for 3rd parties to update their engines (MTFramework, LYN, Frostbite, etc) to take advantage of WiiU's extra power?

And do you think that some third parties are waiting to update their engines till they know more about PS4, 720 specs because their future strategy are in making multi-plat games?

At any rate, this is why it was so important for Nintendo to establish the graphics bar with the WiiU this E3, and not let third parties take position of, 'next gen doesn't start till the PS3 and 720 releases'.

Log4Girlz

How long would it take typically for 3rd parties to update their engines (MTFramework, LYN, Frostbite, etc) to take advantage of WiiU's extra power?

And do you think that some third parties are waiting to update their engines till they know more about PS4, 720 specs because their future strategy are in making multi-plat games?

At any rate, this is why it was so important for Nintendo to establish the graphics bar with the WiiU this E3, and not let third parties take position of, 'next gen doesn't start till the PS3 and 720 releases'.

So many engines are already running on PC, they are Wii U ready already :/

1313 looked good but....i wasnt in shock or anything.
Same thing for Watch Dogs.

N64 to PS2 was impressive. This is just neat.

No i think the jump is insane. But it's less apparent in jum then between n64 to ps2, i agree.
I think people forget how graphics actually look. They forget the horrible textures, jaggies, bad shadows, flickering lines and low resolution.

Eteric Rice

Look at the FF video I linked. If that doesn't impress you, well fuck next gen then lol.

I don't really trust videos like that, even when they say real time.

I'd be impressed if there were gameplay (like the Star Wars game). But I get the feeling when you add all of the AI, physics, etc, it won't look like that anymore.

We'll see.

They forget the horrible textures, jaggies, bad shadows, flickering lines and low resolution.

I don't think it's forgotten, but more or less not as easily noticed anymore.

Probably until Sony or Microsoft new consoles will they start to. Even if Nintendo did start of with next gen graphics now they still wouldnt do it, probably saying they didnt "look into it or its not needed" as thats a easier way of saying "it will be a waste of time if we did." Nintendo is always in a lose lose situation kinda.

Log4Girlz

No i think the jump is insane. But it's less apparent in jum then between n64 to ps2, i agree.
I think people forget how graphics actually look. They forget the horrible textures, jaggies, bad shadows, flickering lines and low resolution.

The jump from PSX to PS2 was monstrous. You're talking about every element of the game leaping several orders of magnitude. When comparing the best of PS2 to best of PS3, the leap isn't as great, but you still have a pretty giant leap in graphics quality.

Last of us to 1313? Higher res textures, nicer lighting. I don't see a big leap in any modeling, if anything Last of Us is more impressive. See, that's the thing, developer effort and budget is more critical, its not like the old days that any effort would result in massive leaps in performance.

EatChildren

The problem with this is that they need to sell a shit load of copies to cover the costs.

Only if the production values are huge. You don't necessarily need a billion dollars to make a game look gorgeous. 1313 is using a lot of native shaders and effects, like the lighting and shadows, that look straight out of DX11. Same goes for the gorgeous motion blur. Assets and scripting can become expensive, but the other stuff is essentially free.

Log4Girlz

I don't really trust videos like that, even when they say real time.

I'd be impressed if there were gameplay. But I get the feeling when you add all of the AI, physics, etc, it won't look like that anymore.

We'll see.

If it does look the same, is it impressive to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom