• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

Dec

Just thought I'd show some of my flips for GAF. Making at least an easy 200-250k a night if (I remember) buying and selling green d'hides.

SfTFfGX.png

Does anyone want me to do a flipping guide for the OP? It's a great money making scheme and puts you in a good position for skilling if you do it with raw materials. Could also do a high alchemy guides for people training magic.

I'm not sure the OP is around anymore.

Rashid

Banned
I'm here, just not on GAF or RS much. If anyone wants stuff added to the OP, send me a PM. Should we do a new thread for RS3?

I think there should be a new thread, but not by you, a new OP who is on GAF and RS. Either me or Declarius could set it up.

t-ramp

I think there should be a new thread, but not by you, a new OP who is on GAF and RS. Either me or Declarius could set it up.
Fine by me. I will probably be more active this fall, but you guys know more about the game than me anyway.

Dec

I think official topics need to go up 7 days or less before launch right? So either Rashid can get 32 more posts and make it or I can start making it.

Or I could just put together an OP and t-ramp could edit this thread?

Doesn't matter to me.

Rashid

Banned
I think official topics need to go up 7 days or less before launch right? So either Rashid can get 32 more posts and make it or I can start making it.

Or I could just put together an OP and t-ramp could edit this thread?

Doesn't matter to me.

You may as well create the new topic, and then add a second post straight after as a reserved post to edit later on (I don't know if this is needed, I don't know about character limits on GAF). Then one of us could write up our tentative plans to create the GAFfers clan for RS3 or any other guides for newbies and edit it in.

Dec

Will someone be making the OT for RS3 or should I do it myself?

Been putting it off but I'll keep working on it today. I might pm a mod just to see if we should even make a new thread.

Edit: I think you should do it. I'm not sure how far to go. If it needs to present base level info for new players that seems like a daunting challenge. I created a banner but have no idea how to approach introducing people to 25 skills and everything else in the game.

Feel free to use it or no, here is a banner:

ibkGPKF9q5tnEX.png

By the way... all betas a open now but html5 runs terribly and is being pushed back MONTHS. Releasing RS3 without html5... that'll go well.

t-ramp

Been putting it off but I'll keep working on it today. I might pm a mod just to see if we should even make a new thread.

Edit: I think you should do it. I'm not sure how far to go. If it needs to present base level info for new players that seems like a daunting challenge. I created a banner but have no idea how to approach introducing people to 25 skills and everything else in the game.

Feel free to use it or no, here is a banner:

ibkGPKF9q5tnEX.png
Nice banner. Is that a place in the current game?

By the way... all betas a open now but html5 runs terribly and is being pushed back MONTHS. Releasing RS3 without html5... that'll go well.
That's rough. It doesn't run well on any PCs? I thought RS3 essentially was HTML5, so this could be bad.

Dec

Nice banner. Is that a place in the current game?

That's rough. It doesn't run well on any PCs? I thought RS3 essentially was HTML5, so this could be bad.

That's the artwork for clan citadels. When you create a clan, you get a castle where clan members can work to upgrade it etc.

It seems to be very inconsistent. Some bad PC's get 20-30 fps, while PCs with 7990's get less than 10 fps.

I actually can't even play it on an i7 with a 5870. Takes 5 minutes to load and then runs at 2-4 fps.

All drivers and Chrome up to date.

Rashid

Banned
That's the artwork for clan citadels. When you create a clan, you get a castle where clan members can work to upgrade it etc.

It seems to be very inconsistent. Some bad PC's get 20-30 fps, while PCs with 7990's get less than 10 fps.

I actually can't even play it on an i7 with a 5870. Takes 5 minutes to load and then runs at 2-4 fps.

All drivers and Chrome up to date.

yeah it doesn't run too well for me, I have an i7 but it's running at a stable 10-15fps with some dips. Should I put it in the community or gaming section?

Dec

HTML5 does not even load anything for me and I use Google Chrome.

Yea it isn't ready for release that's for sure, but they are trying to re-release the game here it seems. A graphics improvement would go far to attract new players. It's been in beta for months and minimal improvements have been made.

I knew it was wonky when I saw an official video showing off html5 and they forgot to turn the fps counter off. 20 fps throughout the trailer. That isn't an acceptable framerate.

Dec

This is a mess. html5 runs the same, but they have blacked out the screen and added a loading bar, so there is like 5 minutes of staring a black screen hearing sound effects before you get in. Then it still runs like crap :(.

Switched to java and sat at a black screen for 5 minutes there, too. But at least it seems to be running fine after that.

Disappointing. Had high hopes. Maybe it'll be there in a few months, break until then I think.

This is a mess. html5 runs the same, but they have blacked out the screen and added a loading bar, so there is like 5 minutes of staring a black screen hearing sound effects before you get in. Then it still runs like crap :(.

Switched to java and sat at a black screen for 5 minutes there, too. But at least it seems to be running fine after that.

Disappointing. Had high hopes. Maybe it'll be there in a few months, break until then I think.

It was pretty good for me though I went from 60fps pre-update to 30fps.

Nebula

Sad to see the NIS is bugged to crap and Jagex are once again using the live game to beta test a new feature, instead of hiring testers. Still though, I started members again and did some questing. I've done The World Wakes, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Did some of the new quests that replaced the older ones (Prince Ali Rescue for example.) Loved the Assassins Creed references in it, and I've found myself having a bit of a laugh as well.

Some good stuff, and some bad. I'm holding out for now as Jagex have shown promise with the quest development. 6 months membership, lets see how it goes.

EDIT: THE MUSIC HOW COULD I FORGET!

Sad to see the NIS is bugged to crap and Jagex are once again using the live game to beta test a new feature, instead of hiring testers. Still though, I started members again and did some questing. I've done The World Wakes, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Did some of the new quests that replaced the older ones (Prince Ali Rescue for example.) Loved the Assassins Creed references in it, and I've found myself having a bit of a laugh as well.

Some good stuff, and some bad. I'm holding out for now as Jagex have shown promise with the quest development. 6 months membership, lets see how it goes.

EDIT: THE MUSIC HOW COULD I FORGET!
Whoa, what?

t-ramp

Hey, do you folks want me to redo the OP? Nobody has made a new thread, have they? I can work on some more graphics and stuff and have a mod add something to the title about RS3. Or someone can make a new thread if they want.

Nebula

Hey, do you folks want me to redo the OP? Nobody has made a new thread, have they? I can work on some more graphics and stuff and have a mod add something to the title about RS3. Or someone can make a new thread if they want.

Yeah update this one, and try to be a bit more active if you can please :)

Just finished Fairy Tale part 1, 2 and 3. Fairy rings are great!

t-ramp

Yeah update this one, and try to be a bit more active if you can please :)

Just finished Fairy Tale part 1, 2 and 3. Fairy rings are great!
Sure, that's not a problem. I just made this one so that we could have an actual RuneScape thread, but can spruce it up if that would work best. I'll work on some stuff tonight and see what I can come up with.

If anybody wants to make skill, quest, minigame, or other guides, that would be great, and I can link or post them in the OT.

Dec

Sure, that's not a problem. I just made this one so that we could have an actual RuneScape thread, but can spruce it up if that would work best. I'll work on some stuff tonight and see what I can come up with.

If anybody wants to make skill, quest, minigame, or other guides, that would be great, and I can link or post them in the OT.

I'll help you out with it, and just post what I do for you to add then. I agree we don't need a separate thread.

Nebula

I'd suggest adding some fansites to the OP as well, like Tip.it and Zybez.

Also a list of Gaffers who play the game, if they're willing to be put in it.

Dec

I'm thinking I'll make a friends chat for gaffers instead of roping people into a clan where people may or may not stay active.

Join my friends chat (Declarius) in-game for a gaf chatroom.

If you're new to the game/interface click the third tab in the chat box from the left (two green people), click the "+" icon on the top right of the chat box, then join the room Declarius.

I'm thinking I'll make a friends chat for gaffers instead of roping people into a clan where people may or may not stay active.

Join my friends chat (Declarius) in-game for a gaf chatroom.

If you're new to the game/interface click the third tab in the chat box from the left (two green people), click the "+" icon on the top right of the chat box, then join the room Declarius.

Sounds good

Arthea

I tried a new combat (well, it's probably not that new, but for me it was). And it kinda looks overcomplicated now. I wonder does it works in PvP? for better or worse old RS PvP was more luck than anything else.
Is skill farming with this combat more enjoyable? How bad spec. moves of bosses are? Can you still solo Kalphite Queen (if she's even alive)?

Dec

I tried a new combat (well, it's probably not that new, but for me it was). And it kinda looks overcomplicated now. I wonder does it works in PvP? for better or worse old RS PvP was more luck than anything else.
Is skill farming with this combat more enjoyable? How bad spec. moves of bosses are? Can you still solo Kalphite Queen (if she's even alive)?

Pretty sure PVP is considered pretty dead since the new combat. Generally all bosses became easier, because they don't use any spells. Newly released bosses like Verago are extremely hard, because they are designed for the new combat.

Arthea

Pretty sure PVP is considered pretty dead since the new combat. Generally all bosses became easier, because they don't use any spells. Newly released bosses like Verago are extremely hard, because they are designed for the new combat.

It's strange they became easier, I thought with ability to stun, they have to be a lot harder. With mean bosses it was usually one time not healed when needed and so dead. Or can you heal while stunned? In theory you shouldn't be able.
Or do you mean they haven't changed old bosses attacks at all?

Dec

It's strange they became easier, I thought with ability to stun, they have to be a lot harder. With mean bosses it was usually one time not healed when needed and so dead. Or can you heal while stunned? In theory you shouldn't be able.
Or do you mean they haven't changed old bosses attacks at all?

The old bosses are exactly as they were before the new combat, but they have been updated to the new health and damage system (you do way more damage since EoC).

Before EoC you generally had 990 (at 99) health unless under specific circumstances, but now people have upwards of 6,000. So bosses were just rebalanced around players having more health and more damage, otherwise left alone.

Nebula

So I just figured out that you can move where the game itself is and make it bigger or smaller. The only issue I had with the NIS is that I felt like it was taking up to much space but this has solved it.

Dec

So I just figured out that you can move where the game itself is and make it bigger or smaller. The only issue I had with the NIS is that I felt like it was taking up to much space but this has solved it.

Yea, it's mainly so people can emulate the old fixed mode but it can be useful.

Nebula

Does anyone else have issues with whitescreening when visiting a Clan Citadel? I get it 90% of the time, and it makes getting resources for the tiers very difficult.

t-ramp

I loaded up the HTML5 client the other day. Didn't run well, but it's graphically impressive, if a bit overwhelming in busy areas. I will have to check out the NIS options further, since I've just swapped back and forth between presets so far.

Nebula

Minimum graphics? :p

I use one of these depending on what I'm doing:

Yeah I prefer it anyway. Used to try and play max settings about a year back and it was too dark and I found myself missing some good drops because of how dark/detailed the floor was. That and my current computer runs it pretty poorly, but it doesn't bother me.

Very nice stats by the way. I should really work on getting stats for Player Owned Ports.

Speaking of stats though, just hit 98 strength and been doing loads of Slayer (gone from 78 to 82 in like 3 days) which also got me 90 mage. Leveling up fast in EoC! I'll join your fc when I wake up later, just about to go to bed.

Windam

Scaley member
Crap, I remembered the account I made back in 2003 or so. All my stuff was still there (well, what I remember) but it seems like all my stats have been reset? I'm pretty sure I was wearing the full mithril armour set but now it says my defense rating is too low? Bleh, this game's changed too much. D:

Dec

Yeah I prefer it anyway. Used to try and play max settings about a year back and it was too dark and I found myself missing some good drops because of how dark/detailed the floor was. That and my current computer runs it pretty poorly, but it doesn't bother me.

Very nice stats by the way. I should really work on getting stats for Player Owned Ports.

Speaking of stats though, just hit 98 strength and been doing loads of Slayer (gone from 78 to 82 in like 3 days) which also got me 90 mage. Leveling up fast in EoC! I'll join your fc when I wake up later, just about to go to bed.

It definitely gets way too dark in dungeons so I can understand missing drops etc. Though I'm not sure I could play minimum for anything but skilling while watching a movie or something. Does html5 improve on it in anyway?

I got sucked back into gw2 so I've only been coming on to do spins and ports but I'm going to start playing again when I can, HTML disappointed me then steam sale games pulled me away.

Nebula

It definitely gets way too dark in dungeons so I can understand missing drops etc. Though I'm not sure I could play minimum for anything but skilling while watching a movie or something. Does html5 improve on it in anyway?

I got sucked back into gw2 so I've only been coming on to do spins and ports but I'm going to start playing again when I can, HTML disappointed me then steam sale games pulled me away.

Yeah seeing it fail so spectacularly with them basically saying we would have it working by the time RS3 is released is a bit of a bummer. When I get a decent PC I'm sure I'll be getting my soul taken by the Steam Summer Sales as well.

Dec

Yeah seeing it fail so spectacularly with them basically saying we would have it working by the time RS3 is released is a bit of a bummer. When I get a decent PC I'm sure I'll be getting my soul taken by the Steam Summer Sales as well.

You always hope they will pull it together. A week or two before launch it was the same as it is now but I hoped by some miracle it would turn out ok. :(

There was time back a few years where they released a bot detection software in the game that killed many peoples framerate, I went from capped fps to 23~. It was seriously not patched for the better part of a year, so I'm not all that hopeful, but I've put so much time into the game that I'll always check out new updates.

It's been quite a while since you last played right?

Edit: I feel like I spam the hell out of this thread but the start of this page was 4 months ago.

Nebula

You always hope they will pull it together. A week or two before launch it was the same as it is now but I hoped by some miracle it would turn out ok. :(

There was time back a few years where they released a bot detection software in the game that killed many peoples framerate, I went from capped fps to 23~. It was seriously not patched for the better part of a year, so I'm not all that hopeful, but I've put so much time into the game that I'll always check out new updates.

It's been quite a while since you last played right?

Edit: I feel like I spam the hell out of this thread but the start of this page was 4 months ago.

I've jumped in and out of the game for the past 2 years but I remember the bot nuke 'nuking' peoples framerate (mine was unaffected though :D) and it not getting any better for ages. It was a frequent complaint in the Clan Chat for some time.

I've been playing now for about 3 weeks and knocked out a bunch of the reworked quests and some newer ones and begun my road to getting some 99's. Strength and Constitution are at 98 at the moment and I'm getting them up using Slayer. My tab must be 4m+ and that's only from 78-82 slayer.

I've got EoC and the NIS figured out for the most part so It's going pretty well for me. Decided to camp Chaos Battlefield when I returned to the game and got 2 Dragon Pickaxes in one day, both worth 15M each at the time I sold them.

Dec

I've jumped in and out of the game for the past 2 years but I remember the bot nuke 'nuking' peoples framerate (mine was unaffected though :D) and it not getting any better for ages. It was a frequent complaint in the Clan Chat for some time.

I've been playing now for about 3 weeks and knocked out a bunch of the reworked quests and some newer ones and begun my road to getting some 99's. Strength and Constitution are at 98 at the moment and I'm getting them up using Slayer. My tab must be 4m+ and that's only from 78-82 slayer.

I've got EoC and the NIS figured out for the most part so It's going pretty well for me. Decided to camp Chaos Battlefield when I returned to the game and got 2 Dragon Pickaxes in one day, both worth 15M each at the time I sold them.

That's extremely lucky. Especially with the timing, they rose 6 mil+ when the update to add them to your toolbelt came out.

Collete

I'm ashamed how much time I wasted with this game...Used to have a bad ass account that had at least a good portion of 99 skills and everything at least above 80. Used to be an admin and a leader of my own clan at one point.
Though, I'm somewhat glad they implemented the new combat system and changed everything.

It got me to quit Runescape and try to do other stuff in my life for a change.
(Also I really was confused with the new interface, I logged in for a few seconds to see what that's about.)

Nebula

That's extremely lucky. Especially with the timing, they rose 6 mil+ when the update to add them to your toolbelt came out.

I think they also rose with all the people looking to get one for the Battle of Lumbridge. They dropped by 4m the next day because A Friend made a video about them and people rushed to get them and flooded the G.E.

I'm ashamed how much time I wasted with this game...Used to have a bad ass account that had at least a good portion of 99 skills and everything at least above 80. Used to be an admin and a leader of my own clan at one point.
Though, I'm somewhat glad they implemented the new combat system and changed everything.

It got me to quit Runescape and try to do other stuff in my life for a change.
(Also I really was confused with the new interface, I logged in for a few seconds to see what that's about.)

It comes down to self control in the end. If you feel that the game is taking over your life, then try to moderate how much you play on it. Set times in the day or allow yourself 1-2 hours a day at any time. If you find that you can't do that then I would do what you did, especially if I felt it was getting in the way of other things (going out with friends, messing up your sleeping pattern and so on.) You made a good choice in quitting, but did you try to moderate how much you played it before doing so?

Top Bottom