• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal [RTTP]

Rurouni_Kenshin_Trust_%26_Betrayal_BD.png

Man I re-watched this after some long years and it hits hard. Love the anime and manga but this OVA is something else.
The recent movie is okaaay but the OVA is fucking brilliant:

Any fans?

My all time favorite OVA. Love everything about it - historical setting, music, animation, beautiful violence, tone, dialogue, and voice acting (dub is incredible).

I rented it along with Ninja Scroll from Hastings bookstore (RIP) in junior high and the production quality blew me away. I still think its animation is a standout even now.

Yoda

Probably the best anime OVA in existence, blows the material it's a prequel for out of the water.

Kazuhiro Furuhashi, who was the director, was one of the GOATs of 90s anime. He directed the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime as well, which I prefer over the newer one. It's a shame about the mangaka of RRK, but thankfully he didn't seem to have any involvement in this OVA.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Kazuhiro Furuhashi, who was the director, was one of the GOATs of 90s anime. He directed the 1999 Hunter x Hunter anime as well, which I prefer over the newer one. It's a shame about the mangaka of RRK, but thankfully he didn't seem to have any involvement in this OVA.
I was so hyped for SpyXFamily but that show sucks and doesn't really seem to have his direction flair. Dororo was good though.

Paltheos

Great OVAs (as I recall, but it's been almost 20 years). Just the clips shared though still look great.

I was so hyped for SpyXFamily but that show sucks and doesn't really seem to have his direction flair. Dororo was good though.

SpyxFamily's an alright show that I think a chunk of people don't get, as I've heard allot of complaints of "getting back to the main plot" sometimes, as if it's a serious show. It's a comedy, or at least it's at its best when it's comedy, but there are sometimes sequences where it treats itself seriously, and those usually fall flat (there was like a whole episode this season devoted to counterintel and Yuri's character growth and it was just boring the whole way through). Spfam's good when it's sticking to comedy, namely almost everything Anya-related, and is spotty when anyone else steps up to the plate.

Pidull

Shit I have this in my DVD collection and haven't watched it in at least 15 years. I remember REALLY living this movie. Maybe time to pull it out of storage!

It's an amazing OVA.

I'm keeping up with the remake that's now being made and they are doing the manga quite faithfully (much more than the original anime). It lacks the original's amazing OST and some of the cinematography...but it's quite good too. Most fight scenes are actually better now. (the original first arc was hardly the best part of the anime anyway)

thefool

He is also the director of the best three episodes of the show (the farewell scene ep, ken vs saito and ken vs shishio conclusion).

1619826488450.gif

He should have directed every single manga adaptation I loved :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Top Bottom