• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Radical Islam needs to be stopped. And if the various Jihadies think they're going to stop the Russians by killing their diplomats they are sorely mistaken.
If the world want to stop the Jihadist I'm may ask the world to shift their view to look at Theocratic Governments and Political Islam.

the assassin having a religious background doesn't really stop this from being a political assassination for the most part. He basically gave a typical preamble, but his actions make it pretty clear that this is a targeted, single-focus assassination.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Radical Islam needs to be stopped. And if the various Jihadies think they're going to stop the Russians by killing their diplomats they are sorely mistaken.

Talk to the Saudi's they have funded most of it.

And they export most the males who do it in a thinly veiled attempt to export their own political crisis globally.

Audioboxer

Talk to the Saudi's they have funded most of it.

And they export most the males who do it in a thinly veiled attempt to export their own political crisis globally.

It is disgusting how much business and hand-waving the UK and US do with Saudi Arabia because oil. Heck Saudi Arabia even have their hands in everyone's favourite politicians pockets, the Clinton Foundation lol. The place should be sanctioned to the max and ignored. Not have weapons sold to it and pandering on the global political scene by so called liberal presidents and prime minister's. It's one problematic area in a wider global epidemic, but on the whole the country is not treated as it should be for the abuses it commits.

Saiyu

An almost 10 year old account with a total of 616 posts....

Who's alt account is this?
Is it a crime to not post that much here anymore?

*The lol was to the post - it seems we still can't talk about the elephant in the room. I'd direct the poster to read up on the killings ordered by the original Mohammad and see how many were political

*The lol was to the post - it seems we still can't talk about the elephant in the room. I'd direct the poster to read up on the killings ordered by the original Mohammad and see how many were political

What does that have to do with this? This murder was explicitly, thoroughly political - its target, its motivations.

Mohonky

I read some comments about an article on this; apparently it was corrupt Obama and the CIA trying to instigate a war so they could put the White House on lock down and keep Republicans from taking their rightful place in Government......

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I read some comments about an article on this; apparently it was corrupt Obama and the CIA trying to instigate a war so they could put the White House on lock down and keep Republicans from taking their rightful place in Government......

I loled.

Do killers who are not motivated by Islam typically shout "Allahu Akbar!"?

This is the problem, you're making a really facile interpretation by focusing solely on the words uttered, and ignoring the political context within the event, as well as other things the gunman said (this is for Aleppo! Etc). Like many have said, "Allahu Akbar" can be said in multiple instances, whether it's in anger, prayer, happiness, or what have you. It doesn't necessarily mean it's 100% terrorist speak.

tfur

What does that have to do with this? This murder was explicitly, thoroughly political - its target, its motivations.

“We are the ones who pledged allegiance to Mohammed, to wage jihad.”

Anything can be rationalized into politics and/or motivations.
He is killing in the name of God. Mohammed has given him the authority to kill.

Anything can be rationalized into politics and/or motivations.
He is killing in the name of God. Mohammed has given him the authority to kill.

You might have a semblance of a point if you ignored everything else about this event, including the other things he said and the person he targeted.

In my mind, those hold far more weight than a sentence he said. But you're just seeing what you want in this (confirmation bias).

Saiyu

....But that doesn't exclude it from being motivated by radical Islam. By that virtue all the incidents in, say, Pakistan that are politically motivated are not motivated also by radical Islam. It's a bit naive to believe, and contrary to common sense.

Metrotab

Banned
That one photograph where the ambassador lies dead and the gunman is pointing to the left of the photo with his gun looks amazing. Like a still out of on Oscar-winning movie.

I don't want to post it because I don't know if it's against the TOS, but here is a link: https://i.redd.it/3hh1uu9g5n4y.jpg

Oh no post as little or as much as you want, but looking at your thread history....

That one photograph where the ambassador lies dead and the gunman is pointing to the left of the photo with his gun looks amazing. Like a still out of on Oscar-winning movie.

I don't want to post it because I don't know if it's against the TOS, but here is a link: https://i.redd.it/3hh1uu9g5n4y.jpg

I don't know if I would have stated it in the same terms given the subject matter here, but it is quite the shot indeed.

Liljagare

Wonder why so many govs are so reluctant to follow the money trail and deal with the sources. Alot of skeletons in the closet for alot of nations?

tfur

You might have a semblance of a point if you ignored everything else about this event, including the other things he said and the person he targeted.

In my mind, those hold far more weight than a sentence he said. But you're just seeing what you want in this (confirmation bias).

Ah yes, I might have a semblance...

Your argument revolves around political motivations. The same political motivations that are part of EVERY terrorist attack. You somehow, in your mind, find a way to rationalize this persons step up to killing. By your logic, nobody is a terrorist, as long as they have political motivations. Or maybe motivations you agree with.

Is this a direct self defense killing? A crime of passion? A bout of mental illness? A premeditated act of hate?

Why did he think he had the RIGHT and AUTHORITY to kill someone?

“We are the ones who pledged allegiance to Mohammed, to wage jihad.”
Besides his words, he further affirms his ideology with the 1 finger salute as well.

Most people have rational political motivations to disagree with events, but they do not resort to killing people. This person used his religion as a mental and psychological vehicle to kill someone.

Ah yes, I might have a semblance...

Your argument revolves around political motivations. The same political motivations that are part of EVERY terrorist attack. You somehow, in your mind, find a way to rationalize this persons step up to killing. By your logic, nobody is a terrorist, as long as they have political motivations. Or maybe motivations you agree with.

Is this a direct self defense killing? A crime of passion? A bout of mental illness? A premeditated act of hate?

Why did he think he had the RIGHT and AUTHORITY to kill someone?

Besides his words, he further affirms his ideology with the 1 finger salute as well.

Most people have rational political motivations to disagree with events, but they do not resort to killing people. This person used his religion as a mental and psychological vehicle to kill someone.

You think that I'm rationalizing his step up to killing? All I'm saying is that his motivations were clearly political in nature. That doesn't not make him a terrorist, which he clearly is.

As far as your last point, yeah, most people obviously have political disagreements and don't kill people. Similarly, most people who follow Islam do not use it as a "mental and psychological vehicle to kill people." I'm not sure what your point is here. Do you think nonreligious people with political disagreements have never killed people before?

You want to pick out his religion as the primary culprit because it fits a narrative you believe.

Saiyu

You want to pick out his religion as the primary culprit because it fits a narrative you believe.

Surely the ones guilty of this in this instance are the ones ignoring it because it fits their narrative.

Take this instance of a murder:

2016.11.27 Iraq A town's mayor is brutally executed by the Islamic State.

In your eyes would this fall under political only, or would it be religious because it was by IS. Could it not be both?

Your argument falls apart when you consider other things that can be ascribed to things other than religion when religion itself can be a driving factor, e.g. FGM

http://www.meforum.org/1629/is-female-genital-mutilation-an-islamic-problem

J-Rod

Would there be this much effort to dissociate their religion with their motives if the shooter was of a different faith?

I just watched a video of the attack. Jesus that was creepy.
The guy was sitting behind his target for like a couple of minutes walking around,fidgeting and reaching for his gun trying to find the courage to do it.

Diffense

The Orwellian lies surrounding the issue of Islamic terrorism sometimes makes my blood boil. Is it Saudi money? This is the matter of our age. Radical Islam is a pernicious ideology and you only become more concerned when you realize it is supported by the religion's texts.

To quote Winston Churchil
Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen: all know how to die: but the influence of the religion paralyzes the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytising faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science—the science against which it had vainly struggled—the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome.

Wensih

Turkey and Russia aren't on good terms. Not remotely. Just over a year ago, a Russian fighter jet was shot down by Turkey. Less than three weeks ago, Erdogan confirmed that their war goal in Syria is to topple Assad, not just defeat ISIS like they had earlier said.

We're seeing rising tensions between two nationalist and illiberal states who have are currently engaged in offensive wars against their neighbors.

I know. That was the joke.

Syriel

You should also read this thread, the official reactions and the reasons for which this incident is very probably not going to kickstart WW3, let alone any new armed conflict.

He was most likely a devout Muslim - it's not clear if there's an ISIS link because the recent events in Aleppo dont have much to do with ISIS. You'd still call this terrorism however, regardless of whom he pleaded or didn't plead allegiance to. Personally motivated perhaps, but the actions are all the same.

the assassin having a religious background doesn't really stop this from being a political assassination for the most part. He basically gave a typical preamble, but his actions make it pretty clear that this is a targeted, single-focus assassination.

No greater conflict is coming. Turkey and Russia are even ignoring his expressions of religious extremism.

The shooter was a Turkish police officer, so the official word (according to this WSJ story) is that the radical Islam/ISIS ties are all just false flag cover because *drumroll* the shooter was a Gulenist and the assassination was ordered by Gulen who the US won't turn over because Turkey can't provide proof of anything and the US doesn't extradite people for political reasons.

(Not making this up. This isn't a crazy conspiracy theory. Well it is, but it's coming from the Turkish government.)

Turkey said U.S.-based Turkish imam Fethullah Gulen was behind the assassination of Russia’s envoy to Ankara, expanding its fight against the man President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accuses of trying to overthrow him in July.

“Both Turkey and Russia know that [Gulenists are] behind the attack” on Ambassador Andrey Karlov, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry during a telephone call, according to a Turkish diplomat.

Stopped at the door, Altintas, dressed in a dark suit, white shirt and tie, showed his police badge to clear security with his gun. As Mr. Karlov delivered his remarks, his assassin stood behind him, as if a member of an official security detail. Then, he shot the Russian ambassador in the back.

“This operation is made to look like it’s by Nusra,” the security official said, referring to the former al Qaeda affiliate now known as the Syria Conquest Front. “But it all looks planted.”

Mr. Gulen says he rejects violence, and has called for a political solution to the Syrian conflict.

Six family members of the assassin were detained overnight, according to Anadolu. One of them, Altintas’s uncle, was the headmaster of a school closed by decree for its alleged affiliation with the Gulen network after the failed coup, as Turkey clamped down on what authorities said were the organization’s financial and recruitment resources.
Source:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/turkey-detains-6-after-killing-of-russian-envoy-1482252848

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom