• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian ambassador Andrey Karlov assassinated in Ankara

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Holy shit at that last image. Gave me memories and chills, shades of this:
Lennon_and_Chapman.jpg

He's brown and lives in Turkey, so probably motivated by Islam (and totally not the fact the Russians are bombing Syrians).

Also I'm glad we're finally saying Radical Islam, this is how we win boys!

The Allahu Akbar! and the chants? I mean, can we please not pretend that islamic terrorism/jihadism doesn't exist?! Actions like this shooting in the name of Aleppo is absolutely motivated by radical teachings of islam (this sickening ideology of "revenge" and "sending a message" in the name of Allah).

So please. These remarks only fuel the bigots/xenophobes.

Out 1

First of all, this is horrible. RIP

I would draw similarities to the period from 1970 to mid 1980s, rather than WWI.

This looks very staged, like a scene from an American-spy movie.

Some one need to take a good dig on this.

You mean this is a publicity stunt for Homeland season 6?

Ac30

The Allahu Akbar! and the chants? I mean, can we please not pretend that islamic terrorism/jihadism doesn't exist?! Actions like this shooting in the name of Aleppo is absolutely motivated by radical teachings of islam (this sickening ideology of "revenge" and "sending a message" in the name of Allah).

So please. These remarks only fuel the bigots/xenophobes.

Errr, yes, islamic terrorism is a thing. This seems like a poor moment to trot out RADICAL ISLAM when Assad and Russia are straight up killing civilians, in Aleppo. I mean, is it so hard to believe he's just pissed they're killing his countrymen? Revenge isn't an 'islamic' thing, invented by Muslims.

Who the fuck pretends it doesn't exist.

excowboy

The Sun has a quote from a Russian defense minister blaming NATO secret services. How reliable is the Sun, though?

It's the reliability of The Sun in question in this context? Am I missing the sarcasm?! Given the state of Russian foreign relations atm my first thought is that it's an inside job although I know that's not a rational position. I guess whatever happens next will give a better reading on that. Very sad for this man's family irrespective.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Errr, yes, islamic terrorism is a thing. This seems like a poor moment to trot out RADICAL ISLAM when Assad and Russia are straight up killing civilians, in Aleppo. I mean, is it so hard to believe he's just pissed they're killing his countrymen? Revenge isn't an 'islamic' thing, invented by Muslims.
Do killers who are not motivated by Islam typically shout "Allahu Akbar!"?

Cerium

Actually in the middle east people shout "Allahu Akbar" all the time; excitement, sorrow, anger, it can be used to express all of these and more.

It's definitely not exclusive to the religious radicals.

orochi91

The motivating factor here is Russia's involvement in Syria and the subsequent destruction they've wrought, not specifically Islam.

Besides, Allahu Akbar is often proclaimed in many normal and benign situations across the Muslim/Arab world; it's a common expression.

We should all remember this guy and the possible consequences of an act like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrilo_Princip

This is nothing like the assassination of the Archduke of Austria. I seriously don't understand why people keep bringing it up.

In fact, the assassination only catalyzed something that was bound to happen. There was massive political and military tension between the 2 alliance blocks in Europe, and that murder just ignited a powder keg that was going to blow up anyway within a few years.

The context here is entirely different.

Dalibor68

Banned
Besides, Allahu Akbar is often proclaimed in many normal and benign situations across the Muslim/Arab world; it's a common expression.

So, does this seem like a normal and benign situation to you? And why are we ignoring the "We are those who pledged Jihad to Mohammed" part?

Many people in the Middle East, especially very arabic countries, literally say "Allahu Akbar" everytime they are thankful for something. "My cat came home after having been missing for 12 hours, Allahu Akbar!". "We can finally leave the office, Allahu Akbar!". It gets used as we would "thank god" instead of the literal "god is great" meaning.

Unless he directly proclaimed his allegiance to the caliphate or ISIS (which he would absolutely do if this was planned by them) there is absolutely no proof for a religious background. I mean are you surprised that he cries "thank god" after he actually succeeded in gunning down his assassination target and standing in front of running cameras and microphones to publizise his message?
If this had happened in the US or Europe you would have a point, but not in Turkey.
I mean I am using Jesus!/thank god all the time and I'm a borderline atheist rather than a fundamentalist christian. It's a common expression.

Dalibor68

Banned
Many people in the Middle East, especially very arabic countries, literally say "Allahu Akbar" everytime they are thankful for something. "My cat came home after having been missing for 12 hours, Allahu Akbar!". "We can finally leave the office, Allahu Akbar!". It gets used as we would "thank god" instead of the literal "god is great" meaning.

Unless he directly proclaimed his allegiance to the caliphate or ISIS there is absolutely no proof for a religious background. I mean are you surprised that he cries "thank god" after he actually succeeded in gunning down his assassination target and standing in front of running cameras and microphones to publizise his message?
If this had happened in the US or Europe you would have a point, but not in Turkey.
I mean I am using Jesus!/thank god all the time and I'm a borderline atheist rather than a fundamentalist christian.

Again

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226866273&postcount=526

benjipwns

Banned
Woah, you know what terrible thing happened that other time someone important got assassinated.

Chester A. Arthur became President.

Okay, he wasn't that bad of President.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
He's brown and lives in Turkey, so probably motivated by Islam (and totally not the fact the Russians are bombing Syrians).

Also I'm glad we're finally saying Radical Islam, this is how we win boys!
A disgusting post. So you are saying he wasn't acting like an Islamic terrorist?

To be fair "words in Arabic" doesn't necessarily mean a connection to Islamic terrorism. Also the Quran bit does not necessarily mean a connection to that, especially if he was a devout muslim. Also neither of your secondary sources mention the Jihad bit. As I said before he didn't swear any sort of allegiance, which usually even lone wolves do. ISIS will undoubtedly claim responsibility later on, but they do that literally every time there is even a remote chance that it was a fundemental islam motivated attack and if no one else has claimed responsibility beforehand.

Unless there are multiple confirmations of the exact same words you need to be careful, a lot of stuff gets thrown around so close to an event like this and even false information spreads quickly. If there was more meat to it you will see reliable news outlets confirming it soon.

This is nothing like the assassination of the Archduke of Austria. I seriously don't understand why people keep bringing it up.

In fact, the assassination only catalyzed something that was bound to happen. There was massive political and military tension between the 2 alliance blocks in Europe, and that murder just ignited a powder keg that was going to blow up anyway within a few years.

The context here is entirely different.

Isn't that exactly what's been going on for the past few years in Europe, balkan states and Ukraine? How can people forget atrocities so easily? As easy as we get information in the age of internet, as easy we tend to forget.

political tension - check
military tension - check
powder keg - check
increase in extremist policies and groups in EU - check

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair "words in Arabic" doesn't necessarily mean a connection to Islamic terrorism. Also the Quran bit does not necessarily mean a connection to that, especially if he was a devout muslim. Also neither of your secondary sources mention the Jihad bit.

He was most likely a devout Muslim - it's not clear if there's an ISIS link because the recent events in Aleppo dont have much to do with ISIS. You'd still call this terrorism however, regardless of whom he pleaded or didn't plead allegiance to. Personally motivated perhaps, but the actions are all the same.

orochi91

So, does this seem like a normal and benign situation to you? And why are we ignoring the "We are those who pledged Jihad to Mohammed" part?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...assinated-in-ankara-art-gallery-a7485491.html

If this is not sufficient indication of the shooter having a religious motivation then I don't know what is.

In this instance, it's a rallying cry for revenge against those who've had a hand in destroying Syria, of which Russia is a primary player.

Hence, this specific targeting of a Russian diplomat.

You're hyping the religious component far more than necessary here, especially when the shooter clearly outlined why he killed this particular diplomat.

Isn't that exactly what's been going on for the past few years in Europe, balkan states and Ukraine? How can people forget atrocities so easily? As easy as we get information in the age of internet, as easy we tend to forget.

political tension - check
military tension - check
powder keg - check
increase in extremist policies and groups in EU - check

There is tension, yes, but not on the same level as during the buildup to WW1. Then you had 2 bloated dying world powers and one that was close to civil turmoil, and the involved powers all were trying to expand their spheres of influence. By annexing Bosnia and sending the ultimatum to Serbia, Austria provoked Russia.
Furthermore, the situation then escalated into WW due to alliance chains within the 2 power blocks, something that is not given right now, since there's no such blocks.

Russia will not, in response to this assassination, send an ultimatum to Turkey for them to surrender and be annexed by Russia or face war.

Finally, this assassination is from a terrorist, and the act very likely was an attempt at straining the relation between Turkey and Russia even further. However, since the assassin seems to have been related to a third party (which might've been just himself), this act of terrorism should not cause any conflict between the 2 nations. There will be a common enemy, if anything.

Also: Most of the extremist groups in the EU are friendly towards Russia.

In this instance, it's a rallying cry for revenge against those who've had a hand in destroying Syria, of which Russia is a primary player.

You're hyping the religious component far more than necessary here, especially when the shooter clearly outlined why he killed this particular diplomat.

He could have killed the Syrian or Iranian ambassador to get the ones even more responsible for the killings but chose this victim who is not a muslim, you think this is a coincidence ?

He was most likely a devout Muslim - it's not clear if there's an ISIS link because the recent events in Aleppo dont have much to do with ISIS. You'd still call this terrorism however, regardless of whom he pleaded or didn't plead allegiance to. Personally motivated perhaps, but the actions are all the same.
Sure, but it pays off to be careful when it comes to the possibility of Islamic terrorism simply because of the volatile reactions that can cause. I mean nowadays just saying Allahu Akbah results in many people (if not the majority in western countries) thinking you are radical muslim. That's why it is important to be vigilant and diligent when it comes to reposting and spreading singular information, there is just way too much speculation and downright false information being spread after events like this nowadays. It gets even more problematic if big news outlets pick it up and spread it despite not being able to verify it either, that's when the dumpster fires start.

It's always terrorism if it's a violent act motivated by political motives.

... heh, guess my internships at various journalistic outlets is beginning to pay off.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
He could have killed the Syrian or Iranian ambassador to get the ones even more responsible for the killings but chose this victim who is not a muslim, you think this is a coincidence ?

Are you aware of the impact of Russia's participation in the war? They are largely responsible for turning around the tide of the war for Assad.

orochi91

Not sure why you think Syria or Iran are more guilty than Russia, considering Russia's intervention largely kept Assad's regime from collapsing and significantly aided in bombing rebels moreso than any other military in Syria.

And do you honestly believe the Iranian/Syrian ambassadors are more high profile than the Russian one?

If it's wasn't for Russia, Al Assad forces and Iran forces on ground would've collapsed between the rebels and ISIS.
Russia intervention is recent in comparison to Iran support and it flipped the table.

If it's wasn't for Russia, Al Assad forces and Iran forces on ground would've collapsed between the rebels and ISIS.
Russia intervention is recent in comparison to Iran support and it flipped the table.
Pretty much. Russian intervention is what turned the war and ensured the Assad's victory which had become pretty uncertain around august/september last year. They are completely tipping the scales in Assad's favor.
The Russians are also providing a huge part of the air support/barrages that devastated Aleppo, so I'm absolutely not surprised about the choice of assassination target, particularly because it further escalates Turkish/Russian relations which are still very strained.

Saiyu

I loled

A disgusting post. So you are saying he wasn't acting like an Islamic terrorist?

It was a targeted assassination. He could have killed more people had he been on the IS/general terrorist kool aid, but he didn't and even made a political statement afterwards.

Just because he shouted God is Great and said Jihad doesn't mean you or anyone else should be attributing other motivations to him because that's what you believe his true intention was.

He made his motivations clear. Don't let your biases get in the way of seeing this for what it is.

Honey Bunny

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...assinated-in-ankara-art-gallery-a7485491.html

If this is not sufficient indication of the shooter having a religious motivation then I don't know what is.

Many people in the Middle East, especially very arabic countries, literally say "We are the ones who pledged allegiance to Mohammed, to wage jihad." everytime they are thankful for something. "My cat came home after having been missing for 12 hours, We are the ones who pledged allegiance to Mohammed, to wage jihad.!".

Many people in the Middle East, especially very arabic countries, literally say "We are the ones who pledged allegiance to Mohammed, to wage jihad." everytime they are thankful for something. "My cat came home after having been missing for 12 hours, We are the ones who pledged allegiance to Mohammed, to wage jihad.!".

False equivalency.

Dude may have been radical but this doesn't mean it wasn't a targeted assassination

Radical Islam needs to be stopped. And if the various Jihadies think they're going to stop the Russians by killing their diplomats they are sorely mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom