• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryan: GOP congress to hold hearings on Clinton FBI probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeels

I'm so tired of the conservative bubble. People who are trying to get shit done don't have time for their bs.

royalan

This is fucking disgusting.

I'm not even speaking as a Clinton supporter. I am just continuously amazed and disgusted at the amount of time, energy, and MONEY the GOP Congress is willing to waste hunting after Hillary Clinton.

We just had the largest mass shooting in the history of our country, and who knows for how long it'll be the largest because our Congress REFUSES to do a damn thing about it. REFUSES to actually seriously entertain legislation to address the fact that a murderous asshole can go out and buy a mass killing machine just as easily as I can buy some fleet for the weekend. But oh wait! UNLIMITED FUNDS because we have another done-and-dusted Clinton "scandal" to drag through the mud for as long as humanly possible.

This is the country we live in.

This is fucking disgusting.

I'm not even speaking as a Clinton supporter. I am just continuously amazed and disgusted at the amount of time, energy, and MONEY the GOP Congress is willing to waste hunting after Hillary Clinton.

We just had the largest mass shooting in the history of our country, and who knows for how long it'll be the largest because our Congress REFUSES to do a damn thing about it. REFUSES to actually seriously entertain legislation to address the fact that a murderous asshole can go out and buy a mass killing machine just as easily as I can buy some fleet for the weekend. But oh wait! UNLIMITED FUNDS because we have another done-and-dusted Clinton "scandal" to drag through the mud for as long as humanly possible.

This is the country we live in.

Yep. Not a Clinton fan myself, this this is fucking vomit-inducing. There comes a time when it's healthy to move the fuck on. The amount of energy spent on this, and that will be continue to be spent, in a 100% partisan way that does not have an iota of a positive effect for a single fucking American, is disgusting. Fuck you, Paul Ryan. God forbid you try to move your shitty base into a more positive direction for once. Clearly, you've learned nothing about WHY you ended up with such a shitty nominee, even though you pretend that you did.

The circus never ends

TI9Lros.gif

Goodstyle

This seems like more of an attack on Comey than Clinton. Seems like they'd even stoop to stepping over their own to get to her. Pathetic.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with trying to further damage the Clinton "brand" and ensure she doesn't win the White House. Nope. Totally above board. Just like the countless Benghazi hearings.

They are not going to win in November so they really have nothing else to do but you know, witch-hunts.

It's obvious the Goverment is going to protect Clinton, so why bother dragging this through the mud anymore than it has been? To get the same results? More people let down? I rather them spend the time to find a way to prevent trump from moving on past the convention.

What are your thoughts on David Petraeus?

I'm really curious to hear them.

Nephtis

Are they this afraid of Clinton?

I mean with all the shit they've pulled off, I'm sure she's gonna make their life miserable once she wins the presidency.

Or she should, anyway.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm cautiously optimistic that the Dems will take back the house thanks to Trump. Enjoy your toy hammer while you can, Paulie.

preview.jpg

Cels

3/10/2015: "I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email...There is no classified material."
8/18/2015: “Whether it was a personal account or a government account, I did not send classified material,and I did not receive any material that was marked or designated classified, which is the way you know whether something is.”
Just two days ago, 7/3/2016: "“Let me just repeat what I have repeated for many months now. I never received nor sent any material that was marked classified.”

Today, Comey unequivocally said that 113 of Clinton's emails contained classified information at the time they were sent or received.

So yeah, Clinton lied. She's been lying about it for the past year. I can understand why people are mad at that. This election sucks man, I don't like Clinton but I will have to vote for her anyway because Trump is far worse. Republicans have such a good chance this year but they continue to blow it year after year with the geezer McCain (and that idiot Palin), noted out-of-touch flip-flopping rich guy with binders full of women Mitt Romney, and now Trump, who is the worst one of the bunch in the year that the difficult-to-like Clinton is the Democratic nominee.

And now Republicans in Congress continue to waste time when they should just drop this email thing. What a farce this whole thing is.

So yeah, Clinton lied. She's been lying about it for the past year. I can understand why people are mad at that. This election sucks man, I don't like Clinton but I will have to vote for her anyway because Trump is far worse. Republicans have such a good chance this year but they continue to blow it year after year with the geezer McCain (and that idiot Palin), noted out-of-touch flip-flopping rich guy with binders full of women Mitt Romney, and now Trump, who is the worst one of the bunch in the year that the difficult-to-like Clinton is the Democratic nominee.

Clinton is such an incredibly weak candidate, and, as with the private-server, so much of it is self-inflicted. Trump is repulsive, so my only hope is that two disliked candidates don't depress turnout too much.

What are your thoughts on David Petraeus?

I'm really curious to hear them.

I don't understand the "David Patraeus is owed an apology" meme. If what Hillary did should result in jail time, shouldn't Patreaus be put away for a lot longer? He knowingly shared classified information with his mistress.

3/10/2015: "I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email...There is no classified material."
8/18/2015: “Whether it was a personal account or a government account, I did not send classified material,and I did not receive any material that was marked or designated classified, which is the way you know whether something is.”
Just two days ago, 7/3/2016: "“Let me just repeat what I have repeated for many months now. I never received nor sent any material that was marked classified.”

Today, Comey unequivocally said that 113 of Clinton's emails contained classified information at the time they were sent or received.

Contained classified information, or were marked "Classified"?

I have no idea what the GOP is thinking. They must be in a desperate freefall mode, because I don't know how they think that a scandal that the American public doesn't care about is something they should be focusing on. It's ultimately going to mark them as people who responded to something no one asked them to do by throwing more and more money at it, all the while disregarding things that the American public is asking them to do, as a majority of the population, such as doing the first thing to move us towards having sensible gun control.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
due process matters only when it comes to guns, i guess. they werent going to accept any conclusion other than an indictment here, let's not kid ourselves

So what's the angle here? It can't be personal bias because Comey is a Republican and it can't be professional because Comey is a respected career professional and has no past issues. So what's their angle here?

BigBoss

Are they this afraid of Clinton?

I mean with all the shit they've pulled off, I'm sure she's gonna make their life miserable once she wins the presidency.

Or she should, anyway.

The Republicans have been terrified of the Clintons for decades.

sphagnum

Banned
So what's the angle here? It can't be personal bias because Comey is a Republican and it can't be professional because Comey is a respected career professional and has no past issues. So what's their angle here?

It's just a way to keep the email story hanging around forever so they can use it against Clinton in the election.

ApharmdX

Banned
I have no idea what the GOP is thinking. They must be in a desperate freefall mode, because I don't know how they think that a scandal that the American public doesn't care about is something they should be focusing on. It's ultimately going to mark them as people who responded to something no one asked them to do by throwing more and more money at it, all the while disregarding things that the American public is asking them to do, as a majority of the population, such as doing the first thing to move us towards having sensible gun control.

Maybe initiating these hearings helps them with their base? It's a huge waste of time and money, I think, and it's a huge mistake. There was plenty of meat in what Comey said to batter Clinton with. These hearings will result in nothing and make Hillary look better, not worse.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
They can use this investigation to finally get that one email that will crack the Benghazi case. Two Jewish birds with one potato latke, my friends.

Cels

Contained classified information, or were marked "Classified"?

The distinction isn't a meaningful one, considering Clinton has freely switched between qualifying it with "marked" and not qualifying it all and simply saying she never sent any classified material whatsoever.

In any event, Comey said today that some of her emails were indeed marked classified.

Separately, it is important to say something about the marking of classified information. Only a very small number of the e-mails containing classified information bore markings indicating the presence of classified information. But even if information is not marked “classified” in an e-mail, participants who know or should know that the subject matter is classified are still obligated to protect it.

So even if she tries to weasel her way into honesty by saying "oh but they weren't marked" -- actually, some of them were, (even if it was a "very small number") and as Comey says, even if they weren't, she should have known better. She has been dishonest about the whole thing.

BLACKLAC

Republicans don't have a platform they can run on to energies the base, specifically for house and senate seats, because Trump at the top the ticket is devastating. Before this they were looking at the next 5 months of nothing but Trump fucking up and dropping further in the polls, taking the senate and possibly the house with him. This move is to mitigated the damage because Republicans have nothing positive to offer the country.

Wont work.

An orange clown has become their nominee largely because the constituency is so dissatisfied that they want to blow up the party and the leadership has responded with, "Whatever, let it burn."

How on earth, at this point, do you not get the message that even your own voters are tired of this time wasting bullshit?

I mean, I get it. You're down 0-35 in the second quarter, so you call nothing but hail-mary plays. I'd personally start running the clock to try and reduce the humiliation instead, but I can understand the mentality.

It's not like they can just go stump for Trump and accomplish anything, or like they can get serious Republican will in the House behind doing that anyway, so instead they're just going to take longshots at Hillary so they can pad their personal resumes--because Trump may be political poison, but hating Hillary is still en vogue with the GOP's following--and maybe have some one in a million chance of actually getting something done.

It's stupid, but they've backed themselves into a very stupid corner, so I don't expect things to get any smarter any time soon.

watershed

Banned
The GOP are boring. This is so clearly political theater, people outside of Republicans and conspiracy theorists will just become numb to this crap and tune it out.

So yeah, Clinton lied. She's been lying about it for the past year.
No, she didn't lie. As far as I know, the entirety of the disparity is just a part of the long-running feud between the State Department and the FBI over what should be considered classified and what shouldn't. The FBI thinks that a lot of discussions should be called classified which State does not. It's a part of the FBI's "we need to classify way more stuff than makes legitimate sense" tendencies.

The key issue here is not about whether she "lied" or not, but about the differences between State and the FBI's definitions of what classified should mean. And I think the FBI goes too far -- discussions of news reports of drone attacks in Pakistan should be marked as classified, seriously? Oh come on.

No, she didn't lie. As far as I know, the entirety of the disparity is just a part of the long-running feud between the State Department and the FBI over what should be considered classified and what shouldn't. The FBI thinks that a lot of discussions should be called classified which State does not. It's a part of the FBI's "we need to classify way more stuff than makes legitimate sense" tendencies.

The key issue here is not about whether she "lied" or not, but about the differences between State and the FBI's definitions of what classified should mean. And I think the FBI goes too far -- discussions of news reports of drone attacks in Pakistan should be marked as classified, seriously? Oh come on.

Did you watch the press conference? There were emails sent back and forth that were labeled under top secret, classified, and I don't remember the other one. Then there were other emails that were retroactively labeled as classified.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yes, it would be nice to know if any emails were classified by all agencies, and did not fall under the Pakistan Situation.

Ecotic

Comey hung himself by speaking, especially his "no reasonable prosecutor" line. Republicans in Congress will wheel out a dozen witness prosecutors who say they'd indict Hillary and it will be a win for Republicans.

Necrovex

Comey hung himself by speaking, especially his "no reasonable prosecutor" line. Republicans in Congress will wheel out a dozen witness prosecutors who say they'd indict Hillary and it will be a win for Republicans.

He knew there would be prosecutors who would be more than willing to try even if it has zero chance of success. Therefore, the "reasonable" part he added.

Vengal

adamsappel;209265934 Contained classified information said:
Not to defend what's going on here but that's semantics. From my limited experience doing contracting for military systems they are very serious about separation of classified materials. I've seen contractors fired for failing to report an incident of improperly labeled materials being sent on the wrong network.

At the last place I contracted for there was a lengthy process for reviewing these incidents as well to evaluate how much damage was done by information flowing where it shouldn't.

Shit can be very stressful and I'm glad I don't deal with it even in the limited capacity that I did anymore.

She may not have lied there but I would find it hard to believe that anyone in the know would not understand what materials are classified and what are not regardless of label when you are at that level of the power.

That said I think this witch hunt has gone on way too long and I imagine members of Congress and the Senate (or anyone within the government with sufficient power) does similar things with classified materials and at most gets a slap on the wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom