• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Stantron

i dont know that they nerfed leveling. though i did see a guy who was level 800 something. i dont think that was legit though. AFAIK they only rebalanced how certain god's skills worked. apollo's for instance could let you rack up some INSANE combos before because enemies had no damage threshold before dying - you could keep slashing at them until your meter was done. couple that with equipment that extends your focus meter and slows down its drainage, and you can see why they 'nerfed' that. now enemies die if you hit them too much - better to go into an execution state to keep the combo going.

The number of times you could hit someone in focus mode was not unlimited, but before the game was patched, you were able to strike an enemy up to 9 (iirc) times before the 10th strike would kill regardless of how much health they started with. That allowed people to get something like 6 normal hits + 9 focus hits + upto 12 execution combo points each on several enemies. Now, 2 or 3 hits when an enemy is already in execution state will kill him outright. It was fun while it lasted but the change makes sense.

Redshirt

Banned
I think Xbox Rewards is giving 5,000 points ($5.00) if you buy a season pass. That makes the Ryse deal even sweeter.

Edit: Oops. You have to spend at least $50 on season passes.

Just finished the game, it's my fav next gen game thus far, also love you can do the arenas solo . Not to mention how amazing it all looked , really hope there is a sequel in the works .

Caayn

Solo is so boring in this game. Besides you wanna rack up those big combos in coop.
I like the solo play more, the mulitplayer in Ryse hasn't been able to draw my interest. So I'm very disappointed that only 3 of the maps, right now, are playable in solo mode and happy that the new DLC will support solo play.

Lima

I like the solo play more, the mulitplayer in Ryse hasn't been able to draw my interest. So I'm very disappointed that only 3 of the maps, right now, are playable in solo mode and happy that the new DLC will support solo play.

But why? Get a friend and it is a blast to play. Much more enjoyable in coop.

Caayn

The Mars DLC doesn't support solo play, it forces me into matchmaking whenever I select survival and the new maps don't show up under solo play :( Guess I'll have to wait for the next DLC.
But why? Get a friend and it is a blast to play. Much more enjoyable in coop.
None of the people I play with have Besides it shouldn't force me into co-op when the map/modes are perfectly playable in solo.

Lima

The Mars DLC doesn't support solo play, it forces me into matchmaking whenever I select survival and the new maps don't show up under solo play :( Guess I'll have to wait for the next DLC.
None of the people I play with have Besides it shouldn't force me into co-op when the map/modes are perfectly playable in solo.

Many of the maps are not playable in solo.

sangreal

yeah, the vast majority of the maps are co-op only (and usually have a co-op challenge in them)

I'm not a big MP gamer, but I've had a pretty painless experience with random strangers in Ryse. Usually there are enough enemies for you to do your own thing without interfering with each other

Got 4 of the 5 new achievements, I'm level 123 I think, only 7 left but i'll do them tomorrow.

Survival mode is great, exactly what the DLC should have been from the beginning, wave after wave of enemies until you and your co-op partner can't continue on.

Got a new highest combo of 158 as well.

Lima

Got 4 of the 5 new achievements, I'm level 123 I think, only 7 left but i'll do them tomorrow.

Survival mode is great, exactly what the DLC should have been from the beginning, wave after wave of enemies until you and your co-op partner can't continue on.

Got a new highest combo of 158 as well.

I played a round with True Legacy to check it out. Easily got the 7 minutes with both of us using Jupiter. I would imagine that it would be much easier with Apollo.

I'm level 185 now and the health regen equipment I have only stops helping after like 6 minutes. Like before that the health lost and health regen canceled each other out.

EBE

is the DLC available only to season pass owners? doesnt appear in the games store.

looks pretty good. survival is really fun

EBE

Right now yes.

cool. anyone up to share their best times?

12802938394_e06af4f2e5_z.jpg

played using Apollo, other dude was using Jupiter, i think. got a 348 hit combo. feels good man.
it gets REALLY tough. the new maps are great.

looking back at things, all the negativity surrounding this game was pretty hilarious. i think with this new pack you've got yourself a solid title in Ryse. a great game that hopefully becomes an even better franchise.

sangreal

yeah, the vast majority of the maps are co-op only (and usually have a co-op challenge in them)

I'm not a big MP gamer, but I've had a pretty painless experience with random strangers in Ryse. Usually there are enough enemies for you to do your own thing without interfering with each other

of course after posting this I've had awful experiences. Played through 2 rounds of survivor and that was good fun, but then I wanted to try the new arena maps.

First guy I get matched with immediately goes afk and never came back. I wouldn't care really, except when I got to the end of the last objective (capture and hold point) it wouldn't complete without two players. Had to quit eventually

Second guy I get matched with also went afk but did come back eventually. Only problem is he couldn't figure out how to do the co-op objectives (Henge map) and eventually just quit towards the end. He also never did a single execution so even when he was at the keyboard he kept dying

not sure why I am getting matched with rank 1 and 2s anyway. Everyone else must be doing Survivor

Ape

Banned
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty on chapter 3 and my soldiers keep getting killed by the archers. Any tips?

Klocker

that sucks wanted to do solo too

border

Is this the old make someone download something that they may or may not buy routine?

Yes.

To be fair though, you can play the Season Pass/DLC maps if your multiplayer partner has bought them. So even if you never buy, it's important to have them on your hard drive since they may pop up in multiplayer games.

I rather like this system since it prevents fragmentation of the multiplayer community, and I still get to occasionally play DLC that I haven't actually paid for. I think the downside is that if you do buy the new maps and you have a partner who hasn't purchased them, it's very likely that your partner isn't going to have a clue what they're doing on the new stages. Everytime a DLC map pops up in my multiplayer game, I immediately use voice chat to apologize -- "I've never seen this one before....I'm sorry if I fuck this up." :)

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Yes.

To be fair though, you can play the Season Pass/DLC maps if your multiplayer partner has bought them. So even if you never buy, it's important to have them on your hard drive since they may pop up in multiplayer games.

I rather like this system since it prevents fragmentation of the multiplayer community, and I still get to occasionally play DLC that I haven't actually paid for. I think the downside is that if you do buy the new maps and you have a partner who hasn't purchased them, it's very likely that your partner isn't going to have a clue what they're doing on the new stages. Everytime a DLC map pops up in my multiplayer game, I immediately use voice chat to apologize -- "I've never seen this one before....I'm sorry if I fuck this up." :)

I'll let them off with that then, that's pretty cool.

I honestly don't mind grinding for upgrades, I just HATE how long it takes to level up. Getting to 50 is horrible.

Save up for gold packs in the tiers, get good stuff, focus exclusively on clothing/weapons that give you big XP boost, thats what I did and it helps you level up much faster.

Lima

I honestly don't mind grinding for upgrades, I just HATE how long it takes to level up. Getting to 50 is horrible.

Get better at the game. Once you start racking up 300+ combos you make 3 levels a game. The progression is very linear so it almost always takes the same amount to level up. Leveling in this game is very fair.

Get better at the game. Once you start racking up 300+ combos you make 3 levels a game. The progression is very linear so it almost always takes the same amount to level up. Leveling in this game is very fair.

What god do you recommend for that? Highest combo is 158, I don't think I'm bad at it but I don't tend to deal well with arrows being fired at me from far away, haha

Lima

What god do you recommend for that? Highest combo is 158, I don't think I'm bad at it but I don't tend to deal well with arrows being fired at me from far away, haha

Jupiter obviously. Use some gear that gives you more focus bars and longer focus time. You can then basically play through the whole arena with focus on. Also make sure to play with a friend on Classical Rome. If he does all the objectives, goes after the archers etc. and doesn't kill the enemies, you can get insane numbers. Even my buddy who is not super good at the game got 250+ combos easily then.

Send me a friend request and we'll play if you want. I'll send you a pm.

Ape

Banned
Jupiter obviously. Use some gear that gives you more focus bars and longer focus time. You can then basically play through the whole arena with focus on. Also make sure to play with a friend on Classical Rome. If he does all the objectives, goes after the archers etc. and doesn't kill the enemies, you can get insane numbers. Even my buddy who is not super good at the game got 250+ combos easily then.

Send me a friend request and we'll play if you want. I'll send you a pm.

That's a really smart strategy.

Oh, and thank you for this link. Got past this on the first try after watching this.

Stantron

Man, this DLC is awesome. I got to 31 minutes in survival mode with a random, Jupiter/Apollo combo. Gained 4400+ gold. Most other survival matches were in the 12-20 minute range with about 1700 gold payout. Achievements were probably too low at 7 min requirement.

I bought a bunch of Tier 6 items. One of which was a sword that gives +100% focus gain and +20% focus time. So good.

sangreal

anyone having trouble with matchmaking today? I can't find a match in any game mode. Not sure if it is live, my end, or if just nobody is playing

Just got to level 130, didn't realise the achievement was equip your first tier 6 item. Did it, nothing happened, popped when I went into a match though.

I played Survivor with someone who was level 1750~...

Ape

Banned
Just got to level 130, didn't realise the achievement was equip your first tier 6 item. Did it, nothing happened, popped when I went into a match though.

I played Survivor with someone who was level 1750~...

how many levels do you get playing survival?

Ape

Banned
I went up 2 levels earlier in one game but I wasn't getting great combos so if you have the right gear id say 3/4 was easily possible with a long game

Ugh... I might buy the dlc. Or the season pass. God damn it. I'm just having trouble getting levels and I can't coordinate with anyone so this is probably my best bet.

Xenon

I just hit level ten in MP. This is such a slow crawl. Playing with others is ok, but I wish they would have designed objectives that you actual have to cooperate. Does any of the DLC add to solo runs? I don't have a lot of uninterrupted game time.

Xenon

I think just the Day One DLC added to solo.

I'm glad I picked this up day one then. I wish they would let you play Survivor solo.

Edit: I ended up buying the season pass. I am not really a fan of the concept of them but I an enjoying the game and happy to throw them some cash.

Top Bottom