• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RYSE will be a Xbox One exclusive, more info at E3

I could see Microsoft transitioning some of 343's employees to other projects while a smaller core team works on incubating the next Halo game.

Yeah it would make sense for Microsoft studios to help out with other games. I remember Kiki Wolfkill being credited for Director of Art in the first Mass Effect, under the Microsoft Studios section.

Stimpack

So wait, wait, wait... This was originally very Kinect-heavy, and now it's announced to be an Xbox One exclusive with Kinect taking the background to the controller?
Doesn't this just make it sound like the Kinect 2.0 is going to be a piece of crap? I get the feeling that they tried to hammer the Kinect stuff home, but it still wasn't working so they scrapped it.

I'm not saying anything is written in stone here, but it sounds a little odd to me. Unless there's a better explanation that I'm not currently thinking of.

When this game was first announced as a Kinect only game, I was kinda meh about it.

Now that they ditched the Kinect only for a controller/Kinect hybrid, I'm actually getting pretty hyped about it and want to see how it's going to work.

God damn this E3 is going to be something special for all of the Big 3.

So wait, wait, wait... This was originally very Kinect-heavy, and now it's announced to be an Xbox One exclusive with Kinect taking the background to the controller?
Doesn't this just make it sound like the Kinect 2.0 is going to be a piece of crap? I get the feeling that they tried to hammer the Kinect stuff home, but it still wasn't working so they scrapped it.

I'm not saying anything is written in stone here, but it sounds a little odd to me. Unless there's a better explanation that I'm not currently thinking of.

Probably realised Kinect wasn't suited to the gameplay style they were aiming for. Or, more importantly realised that Kinect only titles that aren't fitness r dance titles needs additional input from a controller.

GavinGT

Banned

Regardless of latency/accuracy, Kinect can't do everything. I don't think the development change is at all indicative of Kinect 2's capabilities relative to the original Kinect.

Besides, it makes sense to shift the focus to controller input after the decision was made to move the project from 360 to XONE. As a 360 game, Crytek was restrained by Microsoft's "You are the Controller" mandate. As a XONE launch game, they're catering to a more hardcore crowd that likely won't be as receptive to Kinect-only games.

A shift in focus on Kinect, more likely. Used more for functionality and an enhancement in some games, but not an outright focus. As it comes with Xbox One they don't have obligations to provide it with dedicated content to ensure it sells, like Sony will have to do for Eyetoy.

Keeping my expectations in check for Ryse, I'm not the biggest Crytek fan but the premise has potential. 7 days.

Probably realised Kinect wasn't suited to the gameplay style they were aiming for. Or, more importantly realised that Kinect only titles that aren't fitness r dance titles needs additional input from a controller.

I think that's a good move. Kinect was great for Kinect Sports type game, but more intense action games suffered with Kinect only controls. I think that a more powerful Kinect with every X1 sold along with using a controller will produce some great things.

Also, I noticed at the reveal and afterwards, Microsoft dropped the whole "YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER" junk (they mentioned it once when talking about the 360) and focused heavily on Kinect working with the new Xbox controller. Smart move. They really screwed themselves with the Kinect 1's marketing.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
i'd be shocked if this game turned out to be good the kinect stuff was the only thing
that stood out about this bland generic looking game.assumed it was cancled

I think that's a good move. Kinect was great for Kinect Sports type game, but more intense action games suffered with Kinect only controls. I think that a more powerful Kinect with every X1 sold along with using a controller will produce some great things.

Also, I noticed at the reveal and afterwards, Microsoft dropped the whole "YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER" junk (they mentioned it once when talking about the 360) and focused heavily on Kinect working with the new Xbox controller. Smart move. They really screwed themselves with the Kinect 1's marketing.

This is very important and somewhat overlooked. They really backs themselves into a corner with that whole 'you are the controller' BS, dropping it makes a lot of sense as Kinect will only really work for core titles if it's used with a controller.

Stimpack

Well, whatever the reasoning, hopefully it all works out well. While I have no real love for the way Microsoft does things, I still would like the technology in the Kinect to actually impress. It could make for better Oculus Rift support, and that's my end-game.

But to be more on-topic, I don't know about this RYSE. For some reason all I can think about is Circus Maximus and I despised that game.

isuZXpNyoZbqz.gif

Darmik

I can see a lot of potential for kinect enhanced controller gameplay but a Spartan combat game isn't really one of them. The example of raising a controller for a shield sounds a bit gimmicky. I've never been keen on shouting voice commands either which I'm guessing the sites is teasing. I'm keeping a cautious eye on it.

I can see a lot of potential for kinect enhanced controller gameplay but a Spartan combat game isn't really one of them. The example of raising a controller for a shield sounds a bit gimmicky. I've never been keen on shouting voice commands either which I'm guessing the sites is teasing. I'm keeping a cautious eye on it.

Should make it more like Rome where you have to call everyone you come across a cunt.

Speaking of, someone needs to make a Spartacus: Blood and Sand game with voice commands.

EvB

RYSE : Latine loqui discant

Imagine if that is what it Was, some kind of Mavis Beacon style learning game.

Anyway, I'm intrigued, controller games with kinect features is far less offensive. Steel Battalion would of been ok if Kinect had of actually worked properly.

M3d10n

Will it suffer the curse of the four capital letters title? It doesn't seem futuristic, at least, which is part of the curse.

Kopite

Wonder if it has reverted to a more conventional third person game. Or at least giving you the option to do so.

oVerde

Banned
Don't matter what, the first second Kinect has a non-voice interaction within this game, the gamers hive mind will bitch, and a lot, with bender.gif and anything.

derFeef

Don't matter what, the first second Kinect has a non-voice interaction within this game, the gamers hive mind will bitch, and a lot, with bender.gif and anything.

Sadly this will be the case. I could not care less about the "opnions" of those who post such stuff, but it always screws up the discussion, mostly the entire topic.

I really think their reading comprehension is ok, believe me

We've seen no footage, know nothing about the gameplay, know nothing about the implementation of Kinect and yet people are shitting on it already .

Glad to see it's controller based, hope we get some good gameplay at E3.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I take it no screenies have been posted yet?

Very excited to see this. It could be awesome.

Top Bottom