• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Zelda is my WHAT!?

Ms.Galaxy

In her position I can't imagine thinking of anyone else that'd 100% for certain still be alive after a century.

What about Impa? Sheikahs have a long ass life span.

Actually, she entrusted Impa with Link's tunic and other things to give Link too. Weird she didn't tell Impa anything.

What I appreciated that Skyward Sword did storywise was flipping my head canon for the stories a bit. I mean, the real reason we always have a Link and mostly a Zelda was that Nintendo was making money. But my head canon for the longest time was that Link and Zelda reincarnated for thelongest time BECAUSE shit was about to go down in Hyrule and only they could stop it.

I knlw there are different readings into Demise's curse at the end of SS, but that game flipped the direction for me. The Goddess and her chosen Hero reincarnate and are destined to find each other, but shit will AlWAYS go down bc of the curse in SS. Like there is never a reincarnation of Goddess and Hero where they meet on a blind date; if they are both around at the same time, Hyrule is in major trouble from some asshole villan.

That tweak, imo, adds a bit of tragedy to the storyline and helps explain why this one random villager dude is always going to these great effort to help save some princess chick he probably has never met. As for this Link and Zelda, I think tbe story implies their relationship was going that direction before the world ended.

Stopdoor

So after you beat ganon and get THE END. That's it? You can't continue from that end state? You have to new game or continue from the save before?

Well like, it wouldn't make much sense to continue fighting Moblins and other Ganon beasts in a post-Ganon world? Beating shrines for no reason? Key characters just standing around to continue to fulfill sidequests instead of rebuilding the kingdom? It's not hard to see why a post-story state is a little weird.

kunonabi

He doesn't really emote much either, which is weird coming off Skyward Sword, where he was emotive as heck, despite not talking. But yeah, he should've audibly said "Yes." and followed that up with a smile.

Edit: Somehow missed this -

Hell yeah, Skyward Link had the best faical expressions. I also like the cutscene where Zelda and Impa escape into the Gate of Time and Link looks rightfully pissed in that scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKpP_ZQUA8Y <- Leagues better than any of the cutscenes in BotW. Just look at how pissed off Link looks 2 minutes in because he didn't get a proper chance to meet up with Zelda

I imagine it was just a matter of priorities, had to get the actual gameplay just right. Also, for the love of all that is good, go back to the fake language for whatever follows BotW. That way they can really nail it *sounding* right without having to worry about hiring a buncha voice actors for all the different languages.

I had such high expectations for BotW's cutscene direction because of this scene. Really is disappointing how things turned out for BotW.

Ms.Galaxy

Well like, it wouldn't make much sense to continue fighting Moblins and other Ganon beasts in a post-Ganon world? Beating shrines for no reason? Key characters just standing around to continue to fulfill sidequests instead of rebuilding the kingdom? It's not hard to see why a post-story state is a little weird.

I think it could work. No one is gonna rebuild Hyrule Castle and its town for awhile. There's really no point to do so considering the people right now are busy with their everyday lives and for all they know, the entire royal family is gone. They've also been living relatively peaceful lives for awhile too.

Zelda coming back and taking over the responsibility as ruler isn't likely going to happen for some time either, she's too busy focusing on being a nerd and investigating the Zora Divine Beast for some reason. I don't think she's in any rush to become the princess right now.

We could easily make a post Ganon world have moblins and other beasts exist because other reasons. Ganon's minions were still alive in Zelda 2 despite him being turned to ashes, all looking to kill Link to retrieve his blood to revive their master. Same thing could work here. And maybe the shrines are just a trial Link wishes to complete solely for the sake of training to be the best guard for Zelda.

kunonabi

So is there a reason the master sword still loses power when killing Guardian's outside of the shrines? I understand the ones in the shrine not being affected but the ones outside are corrupted by Ganon aren't they?

So is there a reason the master sword still loses power when killing Guardian's outside of the shrines? I understand the ones in the shrine not being affected but the ones outside are corrupted by Ganon aren't they?
I've noticed that the sword seems to get the damage boost against them so they count, but I've never really tested that it doesn't lose durability while in that form.

The master sword is never immune to losing durability.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's a load of bullshit. I honestly don't why they bothered putting it or the shield in the game. Should have just left them both out.
The Master Sword breaks and then unbreaks. (It just loses power)

Hylian Shield takes forever to break and can be rebought at Tarrey Town.

It works within the game's mechanics

Ms.Galaxy

The Master Sword breaks and then unbreaks. (It just loses power)

Hylian Shield takes forever to break and can be rebought at Tarrey Town.

It works within the game's mechanics

Speaking of, was there any story reason as to why the Master Sword "breaks"? Or am I going to have to make a headcannon that Fi 1.0 is an outdated OS and they need to upgrade the Master Sword to the more recent version of Fi?

Speaking of, was there any story reason as to why the Master Sword "breaks"? Or am I going to have to make a headcannon that Fi 1.0 is an outdated OS and they need to upgrade the Master Sword to the more recent version of Fi?

There's no story justification as far as I'm aware. The game just says it runs out of energy.

SolVanderlyn

It's 10,000+ years old and looks like this when you find it

5kT4EWU.jpg

Reason enough for me

There's no story justification as far as I'm aware. The game just says it runs out of energy.

There's about as much story explanation given for that as for why Zelda hasn't aged in 100 years of fighting Ganon :/

CronoShot

Maybe the Master Sword mirrors its master?

Link was basically dead when Zelda brought the broken one to Lost Woods, but after he's healed and woken up it also regenerates?

As for why the sword runs out of energy, no idea.

Glass

Just completed it and was wondering how I managed to miss Epona and the green tunic. I hope everyone else had the same reaction when I saw the answer after Googling it. I'm probably 70 pages late but don't care, that is really crass.

Am_I_Evil

did i miss something or was the Triforce never really mentioned? I mean i know we see it a bunch on other things, but at least in my play through, i don't remember the word even ever being mentioned...

RagnarokX

Someone posted a comparison of the Spring of Power to the Earth Spring from Skyward Sword, but the Spring of Power is more closely identical to Skyview Spring (like near identical).

c8ZL6Hbl.jpg

5u8JLnNl.jpg

uOrcUOrl.jpg

I'm pretty sure the imported the model of the spring ruins straight from Skyward Sword and edited them for BotW. The broken pillars and archway are identical.

Did you guys kill the Hinox on Eventide? I tried to at first, but the crap weapons and bombs were just taking little slivers off his health. I then tried clobbering him with metal boxes and fared a little better, but in the ended I just glided to his belly, stole the ball and ran for it like crazy.

Galava

Did you guys kill the Hinox on Eventide? I tried to at first, but the crap weapons and bombs were just taking little slivers off his health. I then tried clobbering him with metal boxes and fared a little better, but in the ended I just glided to his belly, stole the ball and ran for it like crazy.

I beat it smacking metal boxes with magnesis into his face.

watershed

Banned
Rewatching the memory where Zelda saves Link from the guardian, her hand seems to light up with all 3 pieces of the Triforce. So it seems like she does get all 3 parts by praying at the 3 springs but doesn't unlock their power until someone she loves is in danger. That's how I read it anyways. I've been fascinated by how the Triforce does and doesn't figure into BOTW.

RagnarokX

Rewatching the memory where Zelda saves Link from the guardian, her hand seems to light up with all 3 pieces of the Triforce. So it seems like she does get all 3 parts by praying at the 3 springs but doesn't unlock their power until someone she loves is in danger. That's how I read it anyways. I've been fascinated by how the Triforce does and doesn't figure into BOTW.

TxCoEMQ.jpg
<-- does not actually have Triforce.

Just completed it and was wondering how I managed to miss Epona and the green tunic. I hope everyone else had the same reaction when I saw the answer after Googling it. I'm probably 70 pages late but don't care, that is really crass.

Epona is an Amiibo drop (OOT link Amiibo).

You have to unlock all of the shrines to get the green tunic.

You can also use amiibo to get different versions of the tunic (the OOT one drops the OOT outfit, the Wind Waker drops the Wind Waker one etc) but the only way to get the BOTW version is through the shrines.

Or you can dye the hylian tunic green and it will look pretty good.

SolVanderlyn

Someone posted a comparison of the Spring of Power to the Earth Spring from Skyward Sword, but the Spring of Power is more closely identical to Skyview Spring (like near identical).

c8ZL6Hbl.jpg

5u8JLnNl.jpg

uOrcUOrl.jpg

I'm pretty sure the imported the model of the spring ruins straight from Skyward Sword and edited them for BotW. The broken pillars and archway are identical.
Whoa, nice catch.

The Master Sword gets all beat up from the Battle of Fort Hateno, maybe even shortly prior, but certainly from the fighting following Calamity Ganon's counter measure.

Placing it in the pedestal seems to restore its condition, as seen in the flashback.

It makes sense that after so long he's basically just mindless corruption.

But still, the lack of any Ganondorf aha surprise moments was disappointing.

m051293

Chopped down all the trees on the island and built a labyrinth of logs in the area around it before waking it up. Periodically lit them after awakening him up and tried to lead him into the fire.

Did a lot less damage than I thought it would, so I just used the fires for updrafts and shot slo-mo arrows into the eye (started covering its eye after the first two grounded arrows so this was the best approach and its faster than Revali's gale. Had collected a few broadswords and a spear from elsewhere on the island so just railed on him as much as possible.

WVW69kLZwrYcdlubnA

Reminded me of Sigma in the later Mega Man X games. Kept coming back over and over again until he was just in shambles losing any sense of self, just being a creature of hate.

Vena

There's about as much story explanation given for that as for why Zelda hasn't aged in 100 years of fighting Ganon :/

Explanation there is that she's not corporeal for 100 years, she's pretty much in stasis along with Ganon's physical form for 100 years. I thought that was explained all in all, since she's effectively nothing more than a beacon of light until you actually free her from within Ganon's corrupted essence. There is no Zelda just as there is no "Ganondorf" in physical form until you make it to Hyrule and Zelda's power fails to contain the beast any longer.

Also the other explanation would be that the end of the game would have been utterly depressing if you win but then Zelda proceeds to rapidly age and die (or just SS Impa's herself into fading into fireflies), because not only would there be nothing left of Hyrule, there'd be nothing left of Link's attempt to rescue Zelda. He'd have walked away from "victory" with basically nothing but a bunch of dead friends, not even MM was that sober in its conclusion.

Sure he saves Hyrule, but he's not really of much personal value to anyone in the world any more. He's a hero that saves everyone but, then, after he does so everyone pretty much moves on with their day to day lives anyway. Barring having made friends with Sidon and Riju, he's basically got nothing else. Zelda being alive at least gives him some attachment to Hyrule, and his quest gets to continue in now working with Zelda to rebuild what was lost.

It makes sense that after so long he's basically just mindless corruption.

But still, the lack of any Ganondorf aha surprise moments was disappointing.

His first form kind of is a "aha surprise" moment, just that its on Ganondorf this time in that he's a complete shambles because rather than Ganondorf messing up Zelda's plans, its Zelda that messes up Ganondorf's resurrection.

Toth

Regardless of the timeline, here's one significant plot hole: why hasn't Hyrule progressed AT ALL in 10,000 years? In all that time, they still haven't progressed into the Industrial Revolution?

SolVanderlyn

Regardless of the timeline, here's one significant plot hole: why hasn't Hyrule progressed AT ALL in 10,000 years? In all that time, they still haven't progressed into the Industrial Revolution?
Seems like they progressed hella far by 10,000 years ago and then regressed for whatever reason

Funny how Spirit Tracks is the only game to hint at these people progressing

Vena

Thats a trope not a plot hole.

Though its implied that the great Sheikah empire/civilization that preceded the current Hyrule was highly advanced, well past an industrial revolution. I mean, their shrines and beasts are well and far into an electrical engineering age.

Something happened to that civilization, and everything collapsed/regressed by thousands of years to a medieval-ish era.

You could even think of it as Ganon actually came back more than only 10000 years ago, and wiped out the Sheikah using the-then-pristine Guardians and Beasts, and that's why he so easily corrupts them again when he re-emerges.

Top Bottom