• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Ok! I just beaten two Silver Lynel in a row. And god, i got a Silver Lynel Sword, 1h , with 100 damage! Anyone found better? Man i just dont want to use it lol.

Where's a Silver Lynel? I have everything maxed to where most high power enemies are silver. Lynels stay white or blue for me.

HF2014

Wii_U_screenshot_TV_01_C94.jpg

Just dont want to use it lol

DesuNe

Finally done. I love that the only characterisation Link gets is that he loves food and they nod towards his being "quiet"/mute by saying he's trying to stay silent and strong to "bear any burden" (Zelda's diary).

Wonder if we'll have a speaking Link next time with a playable Zelda? Hmmmmm?

gardfish

So I just beat the final boss.

I did only one dungeon (Ruta), but got 13/13 of Impa's memories, but not the Urbosa/Daruk ones. Did I still get the secret ending?

Did another scene begin after all the spirits floated away and "The End" popped up? If not, you didn't.

Finally done. I love that the only characterisation Link gets is that he loves food and they nod towards his being "quiet"/mute by saying he's trying to stay silent and strong to "bear any burden" (Zelda's diary).

Wonder if we'll have a speaking Link next time with a playable Zelda? Hmmmmm?

I just finished as well. I smiled when I read Zelda's diary.

What a ride. I don't even know what to say. It really felt like a grand adventure. I'm actually kind of sad to put it down. I don't think the game is perfect, but it's probably one of the closest things to perfect I've ever played, joining OOT, Mario Galaxy 2 and Persona 4 in my greatest of all time list.

And yeah, I think it's time to switch the roles around for the next game. Zelda main character, please.

In Spirit Tracks New Hyrule had a realistic progression into an Industrial Revolution. Fans lost their shit thinking it was anachronistic and shit all over it.

To be fair, I can understand their fears, considering what progressing technology did to Final Fantasy.

Fans ruining franchises as usual smh

Where's our story in BotW? Gone cause they all complained about SS's better story

200.gif

Put a thunder, ice and fire sword in each spot and you will see them all charge up in sync when you enter the house, it's so cool.

I have a greatsword of each element, they look much better especially because they're even more obviously different from each other. Also they double as mood lighting. :)

HF2014

Where's a Silver Lynel? I have everything maxed to where most high power enemies are silver. Lynels stay white or blue for me.

That is very strange, i thought the game reconize that when your starting to beat Lynels , the next respawn after blood moon, they were increasing difficulty of the area. Like in Akkala, close to Deep Akkala, there is two Lynel there. They were blue once, became white mane, and now they are Silver for me. One place for sure you can find a Sliver is in nthe colesseum

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
To be fair, I can understand their fears, considering what progressing technology did to Final Fantasy.
Put it on the map and made it a bestselling worldwide franchise?

It started progressing with VI

Vic_Viper

Finally got the Master Sword!

About to do my 4th Divine Beast (Vah Rudania from Goron City) and then storm the castle to Destroy Ganon. Is there anything else I should do before going to fight Ganon that I may not know about? Probably going to put the game down for awhile after I finish the main quest, what are the big things to do that someone not following a guide or reading everything online might not know about?

What happens to the world after defeating Ganon? Is anything locked from completing after the final boss? Does the world stay open or is there a New Game +?

Astral Dog

Finally got the Master Sword!

About to do my 4th Divine Beast (Vah Rudania from Goron City) and then storm the castle to Destroy Ganon. Is there anything else I should do before going to fight Ganon that I may not know about? Probably going to put the game down for awhile after I finish the main quest, what are the big things to do that someone not following a guide or reading everything online might not know about?

What happens to the world after defeating Ganon? Is anything locked from completing after the final boss? Does the world stay open or is there a New Game +?
I remember reading something about white bokoblins appearing on the overworld

I'm fascinated by the lack of Triforce in this game. Its interesting to me that Nintendo de-emphasized what had been one of the central elements of the franchise. Link is not on a Triforce hunt, it's not the focus or even explicitly mentioned in any of the flashbacks or scroll scenes. Very intentional choice by Nintendo.

The monks that you visit on the Great Plateau form the shape of the Triforce with their hands. It's a neat Easter Egg.

Vic_Viper

Is there anything else I should do before going to fight Ganon that I may not know about? Probably going to put the game down for awhile after I finish the main quest, what are the big things to do that someone not following a guide or reading everything online might not know about?

Regginator

After 110 hours I think I've kinda seen it all, and I didn't want to risk any fatigue, so I did the final boss and beaten the game. While I think BOTW is easily in my top 3 all-time Zelda games, I can now understand why people think the ending segment wasn't good.

First of all, Hyrule Castle itself was amazing, I really liked the set-up, going from the bottom to the top. It feels like a mini-dungeon. Scratch that, an actual open world dungeon. The atmosphere was amazing, soundtrack was great as well, huge sense of discovery in the castle, and the non-linear level design up until the final fight was very refreshing.

But the fight itself... Calamity Ganon is just not at all menacing as during the introduction, you can easily avoid, parry or dodge his attacks. Also, he does so little damage compared to other creatures I found during my travels, so that was kinda weird. To make matters worse, by doing the four dungeons first, you start off the fight with Calamity Ganon at 50% health, making the fight even more easy and less tense. After beating him, there's a segment of the Dark Beast Ganon, but again, even easier than the Calamity Ganon fight. The build-up is great, but he really doesn't do anything. He's just slowly walking around and he literally only attacks from the front, so there's no threat whatsoever.

After the fight, there's a short cutscene where Zelda thanks you, and fast forward in the near future, you see Link and Zelda on their way to Zora's Domain because "Vah Ruta is faulty" or whatever. Like, that's it? It feels underwhelming. I mean, it's kinda fitting for the main story, because the dungeons were underwhelming as well, way too short and easy, but I kinda hoped for a grander ending.

That being said, BOTW is definitely my GOTY, and may very well be my GOTG so far. But it's just unfortunate that the main stuff isn't on par with the absolutely tremendous content from everything else in the game.

RagnarokX

?

Final Fantasy blew up when they went steampunk with FF6, and then FF7 made them a household name.

What people usually say regarding Spirit Tracks is that trains "don't make sense," but they're okay with other steam-powered vehicles and devices, all of which showed up around the same time in the real world.

kunonabi

So what is with Kass's final song? I did all his quests, read his diary several times, including after I did all the quests, did all the Rito quests including his family and he still won't show up in Rito village.

Freshmire

Found the King's study and read his journal. Poor Zelda... Funny how these small blurbs add so much to the characters, wish there were more of them.

kunonabi

Also in the last memory the sword makes the Skyward noise, it gave me Fi PTSD

Oddly enough, Fi speaking to Zelda to save Link is the only part of the game that got me emotional. I didn't even really like Fi in SS so I never would have expected that.

Just finished it at about 60 hours. Could have done more, but eh?

Overall it was a pretty good game, and a great callback to old school Zelda. I don't see the whole Gotg (or even Goty, nier/hzd/GR2/Y0 and soon P5 hold spots above it), but it was a VERY good change of pace for the series.

If anything, I'm stoked about what may come in the future with this sort of game design.

That said, the ending was a wet fart, but it didn't really matter much when the rest of the game was pretty quality throughout.

I'm really disappointed Ganon had really ugly character design since everyone else looks great, and has zero characterization and zero dialog. This is Bowser never speaking in Sticker Star tiers of stupidity.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm really disappointed Ganon had really ugly character design since everyone else looks great, and has zero characterization and zero dialog. This is Bowser never speaking in Sticker Star tiers of stupidity.
Whoa now, let's not go that far. It was at least justifiable within the narrative in this case.

(Not saying it was a good thing)

whyman

I want to start with saying that this was the first Zelda I ever played. Game was amazing and I spent about 190 hours before I went to final boss. The ending is really bad. Like MGSV "did they cut a huge part out?" bad. Still the thing that bothers me most is that I was not allowed to keep playing in the world after beating final boss. Just put me back to main menu. In a open world game like this it needs to be like in GTA, just keep messing around in the world. Also would be nice to see ppl start rebuilding etc. Now Im happy I didnt buy the season pass. Wont add any content that takes place after the game so totally uninterested in it. Still this is one of the best games I have ever played, too bad the ending wasent what it could have been.

kunonabi

I really wanted to punch my TV when he turned out to be a giant golden spider mixed with SFV Akuma. Would it have really killed them to make one interesting enemy design in the game?

Yeah, despite Ganon killing all 4 champions, almost killing Link, sending Hyrule into the most pleasant "100 years of darkness" mankind has ever seen and forcing Zelda to hold up in Hyrule Castle it ended up being the most weightless and flat Ganon encounter in the series.

CronoShot

I think the whole point of Calamity Ganon looking like that is because he was incomplete due to Zelda trapping him. The fight also takes place under Hyrule Castle, where Zelda's research notes mentioned a big stash of ancient tech supposedly was, so it seemed like Ganon was trying to Frankenstein himself together with whatever was around at the time.

As for the end, I'm hoping the DLC later this year starts right after the ending. The whole "Vah Ruta is malfunctioning, let's go look" seems like too much of a tease otherwise.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I really wanted to punch my TV when he turned out to be a giant golden spider mixed with SFV Akuma. Would it have really killed them to make one interesting enemy design in the game?

Yeah, despite Ganon killing all 4 champions, almost killing Link, sending Hyrule into the most pleasant "100 years of darkness" mankind has ever seen and forcing Zelda to hold up in Hyrule Castle it ended up being the most weightless and flat Ganon encounter in the series.

Yeah looking back this was definitely a disappointing aspect of the game. From the outset the threat of Calamity Ganon is supposed to be big, but you don't really get that feeling during the game. Then you make it to the final encounter and the battle isn't that memorable either. Felt like any other 3D game did a better job dealing with this.

I want to start with saying that this was the first Zelda I ever played. Game was amazing and I spent about 190 hours before I went to final boss. The ending is really bad. Like MGSV "did they cut a huge part out?" bad. Still the thing that bothers me most is that I was not allowed to keep playing in the world after beating final boss. Just put me back to main menu. In a open world game like this it needs to be like in GTA, just keep messing around in the world. Also would be nice to see ppl start rebuilding etc. Now Im happy I didnt buy the season pass. Wont add any content that takes place after the game so totally uninterested in it. Still this is one of the best games I have ever played, too bad the ending wasent what it could have been.

First, we have never been able to play in a post-final boss world in Zelda. This is your first Zelda game so you didn't know that, but that's the way it's always been.

Second, we have literally no way whatsoever of knowing the DLC won't change this so it's is ridiculous to make such a proclamation. Wait and see, of course, don't waste your money if it turns out to be something you don't want. But we have absolutely no idea what the DLC will contain other than a "new story" and "new dungeon" or how it will affect the main game. Maybe the DLC won't even be melded into the main world, and it'll be something we have to pick from the main menu, and it loads in a post-Ganon world? We have no way of knowing at this point. This is the first time Zelda has ever gotten a post-release DLC add-on.

CronoShot

What's this thing about the sages from OoT not possibly have been awaken during the events on this game?

Zelda's mention of twilight while knighting Link seems to indicate the child timeline (and so no sages), but there's also mention of Ruto being a sage on a stone tablet in Zora's domain, so...who knows.

SolVanderlyn

It's the other way around, the OoT sages are mentioned in this game so it's unlikely that it's in a timeline where they weren't awakened.
It's technically possible the sages awoke in the child timeline too, but the Zora tablet here says outright that Ruto fought Ganon alongside the Hero of Time, which definitely didn't happen in that timeline.

RagnarokX

It's technically possible the sages awoke in the child timeline too, but the Zora tablet here says outright that Ruto fought Ganon alongside the Hero of Time, which definitely didn't happen in that timeline.

The sages were awakened out of necessity in OoT. That necessity never existed in CT. The ancient sages had it covered.

Kneefoil

There is a reason why Ganon is that way... Link interrupted him.

I liked the design tho.

Would've been great if he'd been in more complete form, if the player beat all the dungeons. Narratively it makes sense because Ganon was supposed to be getting stronger over time. It would've also worked well mechanically for a video game because it would've rewarded more experienced players with a more powerful final boss.

SolVanderlyn

The sages were awakened out of necessity in OoT. That necessity never existed in CT. The ancient sages had it covered.
I agree. I was using the Ruto = sage as evidence of the Downfall timeline even before I knew about the tablet. But some argue that the sages were "destined" to awaken and would have done so anyway. In a series that's all about destiny and pre-determined roles and all that, I can't dismiss the idea entirely, even if I don't necessarily think it's the right one.

Either way, unless the tablet is an oversight by Nintendo, it completely disproves the child timeline.

kunonabi

Would've been great if he'd been in more complete form, if the player beat all the dungeons. Narratively it makes sense because Ganon was supposed to be getting stronger over time. It would've also worked well mechanically for a video game because it would've rewarded more experienced players with a more powerful final boss.

I mentioned this before but the beast form should have rampaged all over Hyrule with the champions assisting when he makes his way to their regions. If you don't tackle the beast first than you have to find an alternate method of tricking them to attack Ganon or fend him back solo while also avoiding the Divine Beat's attacks.

TrueBlue

Just finished it myself. Game was absolutely brilliant, even with the lackluster ending. Luckily Hyrule Castle and Dark Beast Ganon had some excellent music to compensate.

I do hope the true ending lays the foundation for the DLC. Seeing a post-Ganon Hyrule would be nice, and actually being able to play a segment where Link and Zelda are travelling together would be great.

Zelda is also my favourite character in this game, and probably my favourite incarnation of the character. I hope she's playable in the DLC.

Twookie

Just finished it myself. Game was absolutely brilliant, even with the lackluster ending. Luckily Hyrule Castle and Dark Beast Ganon had some excellent music to compensate.

I do hope the true ending lays the foundation for the DLC. Seeing a post-Ganon Hyrule would 1..be nice, and actually being able to play a segment where Link and Zelda are travelling together would be great.

Zelda is also my favourite character in this game, and probably my favourite incarnation of the character. I hope she's playable in the DLC.

damn, are you me? I agree with all of this

although, there's so many things they could do with the DLC, I wouldn't mind the DLC fleshing out the other champions too, they didn't get enough screentime imo

TrueBlue

I wouldn't be opposed to more champion screentime, or a scenario set before Calamity Ganon's rise.

Mostly though I would just like to see a Hyrule post-Ganon. Even Majora's Mask, a direct sequel to Ocarina, sidestepped this entirely. That was to its benefit of course, but I would like to see what they could do.

The ending seems to imply as such anyway, with Divine Beast Ruta seemingly malfunctioning. Assuming the answer isn't Ganon, would be nice to see what has caused ot to break so quickly after the events of the main game.

Speaking of Ganon, I hope his human form makes a return whenever they decide to use him as a villain again. The last two mainline games have had Ganon as a mindless beast that hasn't really contributed much as a character to the nartative.

Granted, BOTW justifies this in the confines of its own narrative. Still, I'd like to see Ganondorf return at one point, if only so we can get a degree of personality from the character. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to pig Ganon returning, just give him a personality and motive that bounces nicely off Link and Zelda.

BlueEyedBeast

Neo Member
I finished the game a couple of days ago and was a bit lukewarm about the ending. However, I just rewatched every memory in sequence and then beat Ganon again and my appreciation has greatly improved. I was too concerned with MY triumph the first time around and the second time I saw it in context of ZELDA fulfilling her destiny.

Put it on the map and made it a bestselling worldwide franchise?

It started progressing with VI

?

Final Fantasy blew up when they went steampunk with FF6, and then FF7 made them a household name.

And then it all went to shit with FFVIII and I've cared little ever since except for FFIX (nearly two decades ago). It went from being my favorite franchise ever, and from FFIV and FFVI being my favorite games of all time, to something I don't give a shit about.

Seriously, what a weird argument to make, "it sells more now so you should be glad". I don't care for Zelda becoming more popular if it turns it into something I no longer recognize.

Regginator

OK so I got the warm doublet... but I am at a cold place that still is too cold for the doublet... what do I do?

Either drink an elixir that grants you additional protection to the cold, or leave the area and explore somewhere else until you have appropriate clothing or elixirs.

What open world game has the best ending? How much of that game's "story" did you realistically have to go through to beat the game and what made it so satisfying? I'm asking because I'm curious from a game design perspective how you go about creating a satisfying ending for an audience that played 20 hours of your open world game vs 60 vs 80 vs 200 (I think the highest I've seen in the thread is 180 hours. Wow)

Astral Dog

I wouldn't be opposed to more champion screentime, or a scenario set before Calamity Ganon's rise.

Mostly though I would just like to see a Hyrule post-Ganon. Even Majora's Mask, a direct sequel to Ocarina, sidestepped this entirely. That was to its benefit of course, but I would like to see what they could do.

The ending seems to imply as such anyway, with Divine Beast Ruta seemingly malfunctioning. Assuming the answer isn't Ganon, would be nice to see what has caused ot to break so quickly after the events of the main game.

Speaking of Ganon, I hope his human form makes a return whenever they decide to use him as a villain again. The last two mainline games have had Ganon as a mindless beast that hasn't really contributed much as a character to the nartative.

Granted, BOTW justifies this in the confines of its own narrative. Still, I'd like to see Ganondorf return at one point, if only so we can get a degree of personality from the character. Hell, I wouldn't be opposed to pig Ganon returning, just give him a personality and motive that bounces nicely off Link and Zelda.
If you nean ALBW. I guess it was a good idea to make Yuga the true antagonist,everybody was expexting pig blue Ganon to be the final boss and that was an unexpected surprise.

The problem is the villains Nintendo makes for Zelda are boring beyond their design only Vaati and Majora stand out.

And this was the expected return of Ganon in HD since TP. What we got is a yawning fight and mediocre sequence.

But the problem isn't that he is not a character. Ganondorf barely had characterization beyond OoT and WW. The problem is that Nintendo doesn't know what to do anymore or they failed the execution of Calamity Ganon this time,because it looked menacing as hell on Hyrule Castle

Top Bottom