• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Schnozberry

damn, are you me? I agree with all of this

although, there's so many things they could do with the DLC, I wouldn't mind the DLC fleshing out the other champions too, they didn't get enough screentime imo

Personally, I'm hoping the DLC is exactly what is hinted at in the bonus scene. Some other enemy that threatens the rebuilding process of Hyrule emerges, and you need to put it down. It's the perfect excuse to elaborate more on the relationship between Link and Zelda, introduce a new dungeon, and allow you to travel around in post Ganon Hyrule to see how things turned out for your favorite NPCs.

Nia

Man, Calamity Ganon was freaky. An abomination in every sense of the word. I could see elements of his human form with the head ornament, but it looked like his face melted off. To think he was warped to such a degree.

watershed

Banned
Personally, I'm hoping the DLC is exactly what is hinted at in the bonus scene. Some other enemy that threatens the rebuilding process of Hyrule emerges, and you need to put it down. It's the perfect excuse to elaborate more on the relationship between Link and Zelda, introduce a new dungeon, and allow you to travel around in post Ganon Hyrule to see how things turned out for your favorite NPCs.

Yeah my main hope is that the 2nd DLC is a post-game story so we can see how the world has changed/reacted to the defeat of Ganon.

tsumineko

I know I'm late to this but this is exactly what I did.

It looks so damn badass.

Also have Guardian and Lynel shields on the wall and of course the coolest looking bows.

I kind of wish the house had more customization options.

Me too, I need more space to display cool stuff!

Um... what do you think Calamity Ganon was?

He doesn't drop lighting nor does he throw ice cubes at you. Fire and some air is about the only thing he uses. Also its more Guardian material with his big blue sword and the beams rather than the Blight gimmicks.

They could have done so many things with a Super Blight. Using water blight to wash the floor then toss a lightning attack and the only way to defend is to use Cryosis on the water to avoid the lightning. Throwing out fire pillars then using wind to fan the flames after you. Destructive fire and lightning beam that can oneshot you if you let it hit.

These are just small examples of the things they could have done if they expanded a fight in the throne room. Hell it doesn't even have to be a Super Blight and could be all 4 of them fighting at the same time.

Crayolan

He doesn't drop lighting nor does he throw ice cubes at you. Fire and some air is about the only thing he uses. Also its more Guardian material with his big blue sword and the beams rather than the Blight gimmicks.

They could have done so many things with a Super Blight. Using water blight to wash the floor then toss a lightning attack and the only way to defend is to use Cryosis on the water to avoid the lightning. Throwing out fire pillars then using wind to fan the flames after you. Destructive fire and lightning beam that can oneshot you if you let it hit.

These are just small examples of the things they could have done if they expanded a fight in the throne room. Hell it doesn't even have to be a Super Blight and could be all 4 of them fighting at the same time.

Yes he does. Almost all his attacks are altered versions of the blight attacks.

But you're right that he doesn't combine multiple elements at once, which would have been cool.

Xeteh

Seems like a strange choice to have a memory inside Hyrule Castle when you're likely not expecting to have to leave it once you're that far in. I finished the game without doing so, not realizing there was another memory after that and finished the game. Came in here and saw someone mention that there is another ending which requires it so I went back and found it. I was confused as to where Zelda's powers came from after the majority of the memories being about her powers not manifesting so that was cleared up once I found it. I was hoping for more story, the exploration didn't hit me as hard as it did for most people so I doubt I'll go back and do much more. It was a fun game though, I'm glad they took a chance and tried something so totally different from the tried and true Zelda formula.

I've had him do both to me.

RagnarokX

Behold the most important translation I've done so far:
pc3eQ50.jpg

ip2SRdq.jpg

Twookie

yeah that sounds amazing, I hope so too.

What are the chances we get more enemy variation with a future patch? I'd love to see redeads, like-likes, poes, skultullas, deku babas...

Would also like to see some bonus enhancements to the armor sets. Most of them aren't even worth upgrading. Zora armor should make you super fast in the water, climbing should make you much faster at climbing, Tunic of the Wild's beam should be much stronger and flashier, etc.

Moff

What are the chances we get more enemy variation with a future patch? I'd love to see redeads, like-likes, poes, skultullas, deku babas...

Would also like to see some bonus enhancements to the armor sets. Most of them aren't even worth upgrading. Zora armor should make you super fast in the water, climbing should make you much faster at climbing, Tunic of the Wild's beam should be much stronger and flashier, etc.

the 2 star bonus of climbing definitely makes you faster
I agree about the beam, though. The tunic set bonus is really weak.

I don't remember, does the ending show what happens to the guardians? Do they all just go inactive when Ganon dies or are they all going to have to be cleared? I don't think it shows what happens to them.

Schnozberry

I don't remember, does the ending show what happens to the guardians? Do they all just go inactive when Ganon dies or are they all going to have to be cleared? I don't think it shows what happens to them.

It does not specifically show that. I would assume without the malice energy they would simply deactivate, but I don't know.

Opa-Pa

Having seen other BoTW threads, it feels weird to see so many people question Zelda looking young after those 100 years... I mean yeah there's an easy explanation if you played SS, but even without that, she's using magic to contain a giant pig demon spirit that's haunting the entire realm, but only her appearance is unrealistic? Come on.

I could see them adding a couple enemy types with the story DLC if anything, but otherwise I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edzi

Having seen other BoTW threads, it feels weird to see so many people question Zelda looking young after those 100 years... I mean yeah there's an easy explanation if you played SS, but even without that, she's using magic to contain a giant pig demon spirit that's haunting the entire realm, but only her appearance is unrealistic? Come on.

We have people in this thread arguing nanomachines over magic. Zelda threads will no longer surprise me.

It's not weird at all. Fantasy stories have something called internal consistency. "Oh, there's magic why think about anything," is not really a good approach.

Opa-Pa

It's not weird at all. Fantasy stories have something called internal consistency. "Oh, there's magic why think about anything," is not really a good approach.

Of course there has to be some consistency, but this specific case comes off as weird to me because it's one where you could easily come up with many conclusions as to why she wouldn't age. I mean, even Ganondorf himself has been "sealed" in more than one occasion and has been set free hundreds of years after not having aged a day.

I dunno, I just find that the concept of being magically sealed away is so easy to associate with suspended animation, a magical slumber, etc that to have an issue with Zelda not aging is just bizarre to me. Before I even recalled the Demise thing, I just assumed Zelda put Ganon and herself to sleep and the voice was her subconscious talking or whatever.

Personally I'd take more issue with incarnations of Impa consistently being able to live for hundreds of years without anyone questioning it.

ameleco

Yes he does. Almost all his attacks are altered versions of the blight attacks.

But you're right that he doesn't combine multiple elements at once, which would have been cool.

Would've been awesome and also if he had moved fast like the lightning blight.

In general, the final boss wasn't hard at all, but I guess unlimited health tends to do that.

KHlover

Banned
Man, Calamity Ganon was freaky. An abomination in every sense of the word. I could see elements of his human form with the head ornament, but it looked like his face melted off. To think he was warped to such a degree.

I was heartbroken when I read that "incomplete resurrection" stuff or whatever from RagnarokX, up until that point my theory was that after countless reincarnations and 10.000 years of being sealed Ganon's sanity and sense of self had decayed to a point where he's barely able to maintain a physical form.

Oh well, it'll stay my personal headcanon at least.

Schnozberry

It's weird because Zelda sealing the evil for over 100 years was the exact same plot of the last game.

Seems a lot different though. Skyward Sword used time travel as the mechanism, and this game used suspended animation. The latter makes the passage of time seem more...real to a degree. You wake up in the world that was decimated by your failure, you're isolated because of your lost memory, and some of the people in the world remember you and blame you for the state of it and the deaths of people they loved. You're in charge of restoring Hyrule from this day forward, instead of restoring the timeline.

I agree some of the themes are the same, in practice it feels a lot different.

OmegaFax

Ganon wasn't really much of a character in this game. He had zero dialog or back story. He's just a force of nature. He's a bit like the movie version of Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Hell, even that goop around the castle had the same kind of eyes.

Did they retcon Ganon's Gerudo origins in this game? That's another thing. Urbosa says Ganon took the form of a Gerudo. I'd always assumed while Link and Zelda are reincarnations, Ganon was persistently the same sealed character throughout most of the games. It made it sound like it could be taken that he isn't really a Gerudo?

Edzi

Ganon wasn't really much of a character in this game. He had zero dialog or back story. He's just a force of nature. He's a bit like the movie version of Sauron from Lord of the Rings. Hell, even that goop around the castle had the same kind of eyes.

Did they retcon Ganon's Gerudo origins in this game? That's another thing. Urbosa says Ganon took the form of a Gerudo. I'd always assumed while Link and Zelda are reincarnations, Ganon was persistently the same sealed character throughout most of the games. It made it sound like it could be taken that he isn't really a Gerudo?

Another instance of SS/Demise stuff retroactively muddying characters like Ganondorf.

NEO0MJ

I was heartbroken when I read that "incomplete resurrection" stuff or whatever from RagnarokX, up until that point my theory was that after countless reincarnations and 10.000 years of being sealed Ganon's sanity and sense of self had decayed to a point where he's barely able to maintain a physical form.

Oh well, it'll stay my personal headcanon at least.

They both work. Ganon's body and sense of self probably did decay over the tens of thousands of years but a subconious part of him probably wanted to restore itself to its former glory and used the chamber. But considering Link who still had his original body took 100 years to recover can you imagine how long it would take for something like Ganon?

His true origin and story are probably lost in time. Like i mentioned above, he's been around for thousands of years at this point and was only in his original Gerudo form for at max a hundred or so years. It would make sense for facts and fiction to mix up at this point.

Galava

Ganon as "Ganon" actually only exists from Ocarina onwards, from when Demise reincarnated into a gerudo. (If i recall correctly)

They both work. Ganon's body and sense of self probably did decay over the tens of thousands of years but a subconious part of him probably wanted to restore itself to its former glory and used the chamber. But considering Link who still had his original body took 100 years to recover can you imagine how long it would take for something like Ganon?

My theory is that after Four Swords adventures, Ganon (i believe he was stil Ganon in some way), is when the first calamity ganon happens, when he breaks the seal of the sword.

Link_enfant

Is there any explanation about the 4 (5?) monoliths around Hyrule Castle? They seem to just be there for no reason, unless I missed something.

RagnarokX

Seems a lot different though. Skyward Sword used time travel as the mechanism, and this game used suspended animation. The latter makes the passage of time seem more...real to a degree. You wake up in the world that was decimated by your failure, you're isolated because of your lost memory, and some of the people in the world remember you and blame you for the state of it and the deaths of people they loved. You're in charge of restoring Hyrule from this day forward, instead of restoring the timeline.

I agree some of the themes are the same, in practice it feels a lot different.

You don't seem to understand what happened in Skyward Sword. The time travel element exists because Zelda and Link were born 1,000 years after Demise attacked. Zelda had to time travel 1,000 year into the past and seal Demise for that entire 1,000 years so that Link could stop him in the present. Once Link stops Demise, Zelda is 1,000 years older and not aged at all.

It's the exact same premise. Zelda is keeping the evil sealed the entire time that Link is doing his thing. In Skyward Sword she started the seal 1,000 years ago, in BotW she started it 100 years ago.

Is there any explanation about the 4 (5?) monoliths around Hyrule Castle? They seem to just be there for no reason, unless I missed something.

Zelda's diary says they are storage units for guardians. Disappointing, I know.

Well, it HAS been over ten thousand years since the events of OoT when this game takes place. Details get lost or altered throughout history. I'm honestly surprised they even mentioned the Gerudo connection.

Also, think of it this way: by this point in time, Ganon's been an immortal force of nature much longer than he was the king of the Gerudo. It's kind of moot at this point, right?

Anyway my prediction for the DLC chapter is all the divine beasts combine into a giant humanoid megazord that you control to fight off Vaati while sick guitar riffs play.

Majukun

it really only makes sense if ganondorf reincarnates too,but he still somehow keeps memory of his past self...because ganondorf technically dided at the end of ocarina and ganon was born and then sealed..but then we have a ganondorf in wind waker too but that it's human and never turns into ganon,not even in the final battle.
in facts the only image of ganon we have is puppet ganon
latest

which looks like something he built by memoruy of his past self.

Opa-Pa

it really only makes sense if ganondorf reincarnates too,but he still somehow keeps memory of his past self...because ganondorf technically died at the end of ocarina and ganon was born and then sealed..

What do you mean by this?

Anyway my prediction for the DLC chapter is all the divine beasts combine into a giant humanoid megazord that you control to fight off Vaati while sick guitar riffs play.

Co-developed by PlatinumGames.

Majukun

What do you mean by this?

oh nevermind, i misremembered..
for a moment i thought you don't see ganondorf at all after his transformation to ganon,but now that i think about it, you clearly see him curse link a zelda while he is getting sealed in the sacred realm...so ganondorf doesn't lose his humanity after transforming into ganon

but if he is the same gaonon as in wind waker,why the hell he doesn't transform during the last battle in wind waker'
you would think that he would do a lot more damage as a big giant boar...even though now that i think about it the boar form in breath of the wild is a joke,so probably it's good fot him that he didn't embarass himself with that.

RagnarokX

Saying he took that form doesn't mean it wasn't his original form. The implication is more that that's not what he is anymore.

ameleco

Also, would anyone mind explaining timeline placement to me or linking to posts that do if you have them quick linked? I just beat the game last night and this thread has tons of posts. I realize this is lazy, but if there's a succinct way of stating the pros and cons of the placement of the game in the 3 timelines, that would be super helpful to me!

Currently, from reading a few posts and watching a couple videos, people are arguing it should be placed in the child timeline (Twilight Princess) since Zelda references Twilight Princess and not Wind Waker when stating what link has accomplished instead of refrencing wind or whatever from Wind Waker. Also, the Master Sword and Hyrule still exists as does Ganon so it would make some sense to be placed here.

But, I've also seen arguments of placing it in the fallen hero timeline, so yeah, just kind of wanting to know the leading theory if possible?

Edit: Capitalization/grammar is difficult.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Also, would anyone mind explaining timeline placement to me or linking to posts that do if you have them quick linked? I just beat the game last night and this thread has tons of posts. I realize this is lazy, but if there's a succinct way of stating the pros and cons of the placement of the game in the 3 timelines, that would be super helpful to me!

Currently, from reading a few posts and watching a couple videos, people are arguing it should be placed in the child timeline (Twilight Princess) since Zelda references Twilight Princess and not Wind Waker when stating what link has accomplished instead of refrencing wind or whatever from Wind Waker. Also, the Master Sword and Hyrule still exists as does Ganon so it would make some sense to be placed here.

But, I've also seen arguments of placing it in the fallen hero timeline, so yeah, just kind of wanting to know the leading theory if possible?

Edit: Capitalization/grammar is difficult.
She references Wind Waker in the same scene (can be heard in German version, speech faded by champions in other versions)

Zora tablet says OoT happened, logically ruling out Child timeline.

Reddit thread about all possibilities

My article on why I think it's Downfall.

NEO0MJ

it really only makes sense if ganondorf reincarnates too,but he still somehow keeps memory of his past self...because ganondorf technically dided at the end of ocarina and ganon was born and then sealed..but then we have a ganondorf in wind waker too but that it's human and never turns into ganon,not even in the final battle.
in facts the only image of ganon we have is puppet ganon
latest

which looks like something he built by memoruy of his past self.

The way I understood it is that WW Ganondorf calmed down after his defeat and gained total control over his powers, without giving in to them and turning into a pig demon. That's why Ganon is a puppet and fought before the final boss.

Razzorn34

I'm really feel that Nintendo is going to move past Ganon after this game, and a new antagonist is going to take his spot. The signs are definitely there. Kind of like everything else in this game has been a shake up for the series.

Maybe the DLC goes into what happened to Sheikah empire, and why it fell into ruin after defeating Ganon 10,000 years ago. Maybe there is something out there much worse than Ganon that people have failed to mention, since Ganon was right in front of them at the moment.

Majukun

I'm really feel that Nintendo is going to move past Ganon after this game, and a new antagonist is going to take his spot. The signs are definitely there. Kind of like everything else in this game has been a shake up for the series.

Maybe the DLC goes into what happened to Sheikah empire, and why it fell into ruin after defeating Ganon 10,000 years ago. Maybe there is something out there much worse than Ganon that people have failed to mention, since Ganon was right in front of them at the moment.
Zelda and link keep getting reincarnated because of Demise 's curse... IF Ganon disappears, the other 2 go with him.

Top Bottom