• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Whats the pre-requisite to the 'Alternate' ending.

Finally decided I would kill Ganon and I get to the cutscene where Zelda asks if I remember her, then it goes to credits. After the credits theres another video. However isnt there something immediately after her asking if you remember her?

I have;

All main quests complete (except kill Ganon before the final fight)
All memories found
All Shrine quests completed and 120 shrines in total.

Do I need to complete all side quests?

The video after the credits is it. You get it for unlocking all the memories.

Clocked at 110 hours, 120 shrines, all side quest, all main quest, all memories, all mini boss and all equipment max upgrade.
Finished the game for 3 times, 1st speedrun to Ganon with 3 hearts and naked, 2nd 3 hearts naked with 4 divine beast completed, and 3rd with all the things (exc korok) completed.

I really enjoyed this game so far but screw korok seeds, I managed to collect 130 seeds before i kinda lost interest and move to Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Kneefoil

Is there not something after her asking if you remember her? I did a quick look on youtube and there does appear to be somethinf after that which I havent seen...

Apparently, if you skip the credits, the game will also skip a short scene after them where
the spirits of the king and the deceased champions look at Zelda and Link from the top of the castle.

CronoShot

Is there not something after her asking if you remember her? I did a quick look on youtube and there does appear to be somethinf after that which I havent seen...
The extended ending after the credits (when you get all memories) involves the ghosts of the champions/king looking down on Link and Zelda from the castle, then Zelda tells Link she can no longer hear the voice in the Master Sword, and that Vah Ruta is malfunctioning and they should go take a look.

There's really not too much. Nice music tho. I'm hoping the DLC takes place after that.

Marlowe89

I'm not sure why people expect it to have a use. I think it's simply an in-game achievement reward, just like Hestu's Gift.

You have to admit the inventory description and dialogue about it is pretty vague and mysterious though. Naturally I think people would expect it to have some kind of use, although you're right that it ultimately doesn't seem to be anything more than an achievement object.

Kneefoil

You have to admit the inventory description and dialogue about it is pretty vague and mysterious though. Naturally I think people would expect it to have some kind of use, although you're right that it ultimately doesn't seem to be anything more than an achievement object.
It is a bit vague, but since the assistant found it between the pages of some book in the Hateno Tech Lab, it seems pretty likely that it's just a picture of Purah in her 20s or something. The fact that he seems to think that the woman in the picture is someone he and Link both know also makes that likely IMO.

yeah, dragon farming is terrible. Star farming isn't much better.

It's weird despite doubling down on systems created by SS none of them actually feel like improvements outside of the stamina guage.

Dragon Farming is easy as fuck once you figure out where to set up campfires to have them auto spawn in your face in the morning.

Adaren

Finished the game last night. Easily one of the best games I've ever played, but the ending was a letdown. The picture memories were such a brilliant way to build up Zelda's character, but there was no payoff for that character development in the ending. It really felt like the game was building towards some final revelation or twist, and it wasn't there.

Which is why I constructed this headcanon:

After sending Link to the Shrine of Resurrection, Zelda went to Hyrule Castle to turn her newly awakened power against Ganon. In the process of sealing him, her physical form died, and she became some sort of
Tri
Force Ghost.

Over the next 100 years, Zelda is largely forgotten by the people of Hyrule. In the moments leading up to Ganon's arrival, Zelda had been viewed as a failure by her people (as given by the Hyrule Castle memory), and after 100 years she isn't remembered as anything more than a name from an era past. The number of people who know she seals Ganon away is small, and it only dwindles with time.

In the present day, Link awakens. He hears Zelda's ghost calling out to him to finish what she started and destroy Ganon forever. Link meets Zelda's father's ghost, who implores him to save his daughter. This has a bit of a double meaning: the king wants Zelda's spirit to be unshackled from the duty of having to seal Ganon, but he also wants Link to remember Zelda and ensure that her sacrifice isn't lost to the winds of time.

Link goes on his journey. Notably, many people still recognize Link or remember the legend of the Hero of Hyrule, but fairly few people ever comment on Zelda (besides Impa and the Champions, but she seems to have been forgotten among the "common people"). Link regains his memories from 100 years ago, and in doing so comes to remember Zelda as she was.

When the time comes to fight Ganon, Zelda's force ghost appears to him in the form that he remembers her as: a young woman. With Link weakening Ganon once more, Zelda's force ghost is finally able to seal Ganon away once and for all. Zelda says little during this time, but when the conflict is over she looks to Link and asks "Do you really remember me?", wondering if her actions 100 years ago are still going to be lost to time, or if Link will be able to recount her legacy.

The secret ending is where things get a little trippy. If Link has viewed every single memory (that is, he really does remember Zelda), then it seems like Zelda might return to Hyrule in some sort of physical form. This isn't totally unreasonable, since the King's ghost takes a physical form at the start of the game. Maybe Link's memories of Zelda were strong enough that he's able to bring her back into the world 100 years later, or maybe it's all a hallucination.

Anyway, nice things about this theory:
- It explains why Zelda doesn't age.
- It makes Ganon more intimidating, since frankly it's kind of weird that Zelda is able to stop him from destroying the world for 100 years despite literally everything in their plan going wrong. If Zelda's physical form has died, then at least Ganon accomplished something.
- It's gives some meaning to the phrases "Link" (he's the only link to what happened 100 years ago) and "The Legend of Zelda" (since, without finding the memories, Zelda's legend will be lost forever).
- It explains some of Zelda's weird dialogue near the end (namely the "Do you remember me?" line), and lets her character development build towards something (I feel like a "vanilla" interpretation of the ending makes her into a plot device and leaves the memories with no emotional payoff).

watershed

Banned
Zelda seemingly used her power to put herself into some kind of crystal/frozen form to contain Ganon's power. We know from Skyward Sword that Zelda can stop herself from aging when using her power in different ways, in SS she literally goes to sleep in a crystal. So I had no trouble accepting Zelda not aging over the last 100 years.

Edit: It's not weird that Zelda asks Link if he remembers her. The scientists know/figure out/assume that the resurrection chamber would lead to memory loss. It is mentioned by someone and in some journal I think.

Adaren

Zelda seemingly used her power to put herself into some kind of crystal/frozen form to contain Ganon's power. We know from Skyward Sword that Zelda can stop herself from aging when using her power in different ways, in SS she literally goes to sleep in a crystal. So I had no trouble accepting Zelda not aging over the last 100 years.

Edit: It's not weird that Zelda asks Link if he remembers her. The scientists know/figure out/assume that the resurrection chamber would lead to memory loss. It is mentioned by someone and in some journal I think.

I think it's a fine theory that it's a magical time cocoon, but if it is then no one ever points it out. TBH I was kind of hoping that when we finally got to Zelda she would be an old woman, so I think I was just disappointed when she still looked the same and no explanation was given for it.

And, while it isn't weird for Zelda to suspect that Link lost his memory, the line is given more weight since it's the last thing Zelda says to Link in the non-secret ending, Zelda's tone suggests that Link's answer matters quite a lot to her, and the music does a full stop while the camera zooms in on her face while she says it. I want there to be some payoff for Link remembering Zelda (e.g. she only becomes "real" in the modern day if he fully remembers her) instead of it just being random idle conversation.

RagnarokX

I think it's a fine theory that it's a magical time cocoon, but if it is then no one ever points it out. TBH I was kind of hoping that when we finally got to Zelda she would be an old woman, so I think I was just disappointed when she still looked the same and no explanation was given for it.

And, while it isn't weird for Zelda to suspect that Link lost his memory, the line is given more weight since it's the last thing Zelda says to Link in the non-secret ending, Zelda's tone suggests that Link's answer matters quite a lot to her, and the music does a full stop while the camera zooms in on her face while she says it. I want there to be some payoff for Link remembering Zelda (e.g. she only becomes "real" in the modern day if he fully remembers her) instead of it just being random idle conversation.

Why should they waste time explaining something that previous games already explained, especially when the same situation happened in the very last console game.

kunonabi

Is it easier with the Twlight / Ancient Bows since those shoot in straight lines?

Doesn't really help when the arrows go through the dragons when they do their weird ghost thing. The problem isn't hitting what you want it's with them not appearing or appearing glitched out.

watershed

Banned

There is a lot this game doesn't explain. Both plot-wise and gameplay-wise, it seems to be part of the design ethos of the game. I agree with the idea that the story could have used more: more plot, more cutscenes, more everything but I'm happy with the direction they took.

Regarding the bolded, it makes sense that the normal ending scene ends on that line (though there is the ghosts scene at Hyrule Castle which is also part of the normal ending) because you get that ending without the additional scene when you beat Ganon without recovering all the memories. So that makes sense to me. Link actually doesn't remember everything.

Caelus

Doesn't really help when the arrows go through the dragons when they do their weird ghost thing. The problem isn't hitting what you want it's with them not appearing or appearing glitched out.

Ah ok, that's weird. I'll try the campfire + waiting it out farming technique.

I still dislike how all Amiibo rewards are locked behind Amiibos, should've been rare quest items.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I would have liked if at the end of the game it's revealed Zelda like impa has ages 100 years or is in fact a dead ghost.

Would make victory somehow more Bitter sweet and her sacrifice more poignant.

Also, thinking about environmental hazards I wish they were stronger and all protection was time based. Bundling up with 3 warm clothes will keep you warm for a set time. Then you have to warm up again by a fire or eat more pepper food. Also it should get much colder at night making you need more layers or have less time.

Also, heatstroke and burning should be a continuous gradient. Warm clothing should be counterproductive when warm.

Right now it's just 2 values. Wish it was more of a gradient and with more extremes

Thinking about the story again and getting confused about the scientific progress of Hyrule. The Divine beasts and Guardians were built by the Shiekah 10,100 years ago to help the distant Zelda and Link seal Ganon away. This story gets passed down until it becomes Legend.

10,000 years later, the Guardians and Beasts are found which prove the legend to be true. There are apparently signs of Ganon returning as well so Hyrule prepares their Guardians, Beasts, and Champions.

But why has technology declined or stagnant for the past 10,000 years? Why were the Guardians and Beast buried until they become legends?

What's weirder is Urbosa states Divine Beast Naboris was named after Sage Nabooru from Ocarina of Time. If this connection means BotW is after OoT, then BotW is at least 10,000 years or more after that game. Yet the only impressive scientific technology since then are the guardians and divine beasts which got buried for some reason.

It is possible the legend of the Guardians and Divine Beast aren't really 10,000 years old since there doesn't seem to be written records and the date may have been exagerrated over time. It is also possible they buried the Guardians and Beasts after sealing Ganon since they could be too dangerous in the wrong hands. But the lack of scientific progress from whenever the Guaridans and Beasts were made up to BotW is still annoying me lol

televator

Last night, with 4 shrines left to go, I was following the Sheikah Sensor and found... the Gerudo Canyon Stable.

Really.

That stable is literally in the canyon. Which I initially couldn't find as proper path into the desert. I resorted to mountain climbing to get there and I also missed that stable as a result.

kunonabi

Thinking about the story again and getting confused about the scientific progress of Hyrule. The Divine beasts and Guardians were built by the Shiekah 10,100 years ago to help the distant Zelda and Link seal Ganon away. This story gets passed down until it becomes Legend.

10,000 years later, the Guardians and Beasts are found which prove the legend to be true. There are apparently signs of Ganon returning as well so Hyrule prepares their Guardians, Beasts, and Champions.

But why has technology declined or stagnant for the past 10,000 years? Why were the Guardians and Beast buried until they become legends?

What's weirder is Urbosa states Divine Beast Naboris was named after Sage Nabooru from Ocarina of Time. If this connection means BotW is after OoT, then BotW is at least 10,000 years or more after that game. Yet the only impressive scientific technology since then are the guardians and divine beasts which got buried for some reason.

It is possible the legend of the Guardians and Divine Beast aren't really 10,000 years old since there doesn't seem to be written records and the date may have been exagerrated over time. It is also possible they buried the Guardians and Beasts after sealing Ganon since they could be too dangerous in the wrong hands. But the lack of scientific progress from whenever the Guaridans and Beasts were made up to BotW is still annoying me lol

The only thing that makes sense for burying the guardians would be that they noticed the flaw and didn't want them to be used again. Of course, that doesn't explain why they didn't tell anyone this. I'm still not even sure why they made them to begin with. Had Ganon become so powerful that he couldn't be defeated the usual way? If that is the case then as you say why bury them? Then again, in BotW a Link that hasn't proven himself the hero without the Master Sword can beat Ganon without the Divine Beast's help anyway. I really wish we could see what the scenario was before all the changes.

gardfish

There's an NPC in Kakariko Village who talks about how the Sheikah abandoned their advanced technology after the people of Hyrule began to fear them and the king ordered them to.

kunonabi

There's an NPC in Kakariko Village who talks about how the Sheikah abandoned their advanced technology after the people of Hyrule began to fear them and the king ordered them to.

Oh yeah, I suppose they would have just stayed buried if Zelda had learned to use her powers in a timely fashion. But again, why bother with them in the first place if they were never necessary?

Adaren

There is a lot this game doesn't explain. Both plot-wise and gameplay-wise, it seems to be part of the design ethos of the game. I agree with the idea that the story could have used more: more plot, more cutscenes, more everything but I'm happy with the direction they took.

Regarding the bolded, it makes sense that the normal ending scene ends on that line (though there is the ghosts scene at Hyrule Castle which is also part of the normal ending) because you get that ending without the additional scene when you beat Ganon without recovering all the memories. So that makes sense to me. Link actually doesn't remember everything.

The follow-up question would be: why does unlocking the memories reveal the extra scene? Is there some in-universe significance to whether or not Link has recovered his memories, or are the climactic words of the game just Nintendo winking across the fourth wall and nothing more (which would be quite ironic, given that BotW makes a point of telling you as little as possible)?

I don't expect a definitive answer, but if I can come up with a reasonable explanation that doesn't include "Nintendo ran out of creativity and penned the most generic, unadventurous ending imaginable despite the rest of the game redefining pretty much every convention in the series", then I'll probably be happier accepting it as my head canon, lol.

tkscz

As gardfish said, the people were scared of them (they are literally just bemos with legs, and bemos are the worst enemy in all of Zelda) and the king ordered the Sheika to get rid of them. If anything, this just tells us that Hylians are scared of technology and rather use magic instead.

Oh yeah, I suppose they would have just stayed buried if Zelda had learned to use her powers in a timely fashion. But again, why bother with them in the first place if they were never necessary?

This is something that bugs me about this Zelda. It's not 100% her fault she couldn't use the power of the Triforce of Wisdom, mainly because it was pressured onto her and her parents wouldn't let up no matter how hard she tried, but she was originally a dick to Link because he could use the Master Sword/Triforce of Courage, and she takes no blame for what happened. OoT Zelda at least realized had she left well enough alone, Ganondorf might not had found the Triforce and none of that would've happened. It wasn't all her fault, but she takes the blame for playing her part.

Tripon

My last shrine was in Hyrule Castle. I know it was a hidden shrine, but if I know more about it, I would have made sure it would be one of the first one I would unlocked.

RagnarokX

I dunno what's to be confused about. The story tells you that King Donald Trump Hyrule 10,100 years ago ordered a ban on technology. King Rhoam is obviously not as much of a backwards fearmonger. The Sheikah of Kakariko pursued a tech-free lifestyle to appease the royalty while the Yiga clan swore revenge and vowed to support Ganon's endeavors.

JonCha

Completed it a yesterday after getting all of the shrines. The boss fight in the castle is definitely underwhelming and actually quite boring because they're essentially reusing elements of the dungeon bosses, though I enjoyed the set piece at the end for what it was.

I don't know if there's anything really worth doing now? I haven't done Tarrey Town which is apparently cool.

Completed it a yesterday after getting all of the shrines. The boss fight in the castle is definitely underwhelming and actually quite boring because they're essentially reusing elements of the dungeon bosses, though I enjoyed the set piece at the end for what it was.

I don't know if there's anything really worth doing now? I haven't done Tarrey Town which is apparently cool.

Tarey Town is actually really cute and super useful.

Tripon

Has the game explained why the Zora and Rito exist side by side? Wind waker explained the Rito evolved from Zora in order to adapt to the world of Wind Waker.

Majukun

Has the game explained why the Zora and Rito exist side by side? Wind waker explained the Rito evolved from Zora in order to adapt to the world of Wind Waker.
why would a race of Fishmen need to evolve to adapt to a world full of water?

I've convinced myself that Ganon is actually the one who put it into the Hylian's heads to unbury the machines, knowing full well he could corrupt them this time. Not a big fan of this game's story, but I find it more interesting from that angle.

What does the ball near impa do? I guess you get it when you complete all memories and it goes in that hole near fairy?

You're halfway there! It's part of a quest. Just talk to more people and complete things around the village and you'll get there. I did just about everything outside of that and still couldn't get near the ball! Looked it up and realized how simple it was.

kunonabi

As gardfish said, the people were scared of them (they are literally just bemos with legs, and bemos are the worst enemy in all of Zelda) and the king ordered the Sheika to get rid of them. If anything, this just tells us that Hylians are scared of technology and rather use magic instead.

This is something that bugs me about this Zelda. It's not 100% her fault she couldn't use the power of the Triforce of Wisdom, mainly because it was pressured onto her and her parents wouldn't let up no matter how hard she tried, but she was originally a dick to Link because he could use the Master Sword/Triforce of Courage, and she takes no blame for what happened. OoT Zelda at least realized had she left well enough alone, Ganondorf might not had found the Triforce and none of that would've happened. It wasn't all her fault, but she takes the blame for playing her part.

Honestly, I felt it would have been a more powerful arc if they had just excised all that stuff about her needing to be in touch with emotions. If it was just her rejecting all that spiritual stuff entirely and assuming that science was the path forward for her and the kingdom it would have worked better. You could have slightly tweaked her frustrations with Link and maybe play up that Link being heralded as a champion without having actually earned the title of Hero as a another factor in Ganon destroying Hyrule due to their not taking him as seriously as they should have.

why would a race of Fishmen need to evolve to adapt to a world full of water?

This has always bothered me. In a game where the world is submerged in water there are NO Zora, a race of fish people, anywhere. Neither type, even (fresh/salt water since I know there are good and bad Zora apparently). Instead they evolve into birds, an animal that lives on land, of which there is barely any.

This has always bothered me. In a game where the world is submerged in water there are NO Zora, a race of fish people, anywhere. Neither type, even (fresh/salt water since I know there are good and bad Zora apparently). Instead they evolve into birds, an animal that lives on land, of which there is barely any.

I always thought it was a huge missed opportunity to have some kind of badass underwater city in Wind Waker with the Zora.

I always thought it was a huge missed opportunity to have some kind of badass underwater city in Wind Waker with the Zora.

As much as I like it Wind Waker in general is like the definitive "missed opportunity" of the Zelda series. Several cut dungeons, cut explorable undersea Hyrule, cut "clear" water and the ability to swim below the surface, inexplicable absence of Zora - the amphibious water-dwelling species that fits the game world perfectly, cut items, etc.

):

As much as I like it Wind Waker in general is like the definitive "missed opportunity" of the Zelda series. Several cut dungeons, cut explorable undersea Hyrule, cut "clear" water and the ability to swim below the surface, inexplicable absence of Zora - the amphibious water-dwelling species that fits the game world perfectly, cut items, etc.

):

Weren't there multiple dungeons cut from Wind Waker? The whole game honestly seems a little rushed.

And, while it isn't weird for Zelda to suspect that Link lost his memory, the line is given more weight since it's the last thing Zelda says to Link in the non-secret ending, Zelda's tone suggests that Link's answer matters quite a lot to her, and the music does a full stop while the camera zooms in on her face while she says it.

I don't think that was intended to be all that complicated. The game pretty clearly implied that Zelda grew to have feelings for Link so him remembering her and their time together would be pretty damn important to her.

Top Bottom