• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 co-op trailer featuring Obama and McCain

pr0cs

raYne said:
Supposedly (been reading the dev blogs) the first game was designed around the fact that they didn't get a hang of the streaming engine all that well. That was the reasoning behind no flying vehicles and responsible for some of the city design (dead ends etc) and problems such as vanishing cars, tearing etc.
Do you have some links to those blogs/quotes?

I always thought for a first time out Saint's Row did pretty well, considering Volition hadn't done anything like it.

painey

Destruction Derby was in the last one. It looks like they removed Assassination missions which were my favourite :(

Finguo

Goddammit, THQ! I so want to buy your game but PLEASE give us some info on the PC version. Especially on specs and online co-op. The PC version isn't mentioned anywhere on your goddamn fucking gamesite and neither in the trailers. So I as a PC gamer don't have a lot of faith in your support for the PC version right now. Please prove me wrong.

raYne

pr0cs said:
Do you have some links to those blogs/quotes?

I always thought for a first time out Saint's Row did pretty well, considering Volition hadn't done anything like it.
http://community.saintsrow.com/blogs/?cat=4
That's the main blog/bio page.

I don't remember the exact one with the SR1 streaming talk though. It was just mentioned in passing while talking about the improvements in the sequel.

Goldrusher said:
They're trying too hard.
This is true. They should've totally half-assed it, as that seems like the thing to do.

raYne

Waikis said:
Does this game have splitscreen co op?
Online/system link only, if I recall.

With no player tether and people conceivably doing their own thing on totally opposite ends of the city, I don't see how they'd pull it off in splitscreen.

MMaRsu said:
raYne, so awesome eh?
:D ;)
You're alive? omgwtf. :lol

Brashnir said:
I'm putting spinners and a huge-ass spoiler on my private jet.
:lol! Lowrider plane with bouncing hydraulics or no sale.

MMaRsu

Banned
raYne said:
Online/system link only, if I recall.

With no player tether and people conceivably doing their own thing on totally opposite ends of the city, I don't see how they'd pull it off in splitscreen.

You're alive? omgwtf. :lol

Yeah man ofcourse :p. I don't know how I missed this thread, well except I must have been smoking too much weed not to notice.

But yea..this game > GTAIV. Haters eat crow. Defenders vindicated etc...

^_^

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Yeah man ofcourse :p. I don't know how I missed this thread, well except I must have been smoking too much weed not to notice.
5kfyaq.gif

I'm shocked. Shocked!.. by this revalation.

pretty funny...

the game is pretty unimpressive graphically though....GTA IV looks much better.

I only played like 10 mins of the original and really disliked it, so I think Infamous will be my next city sandbox

I hope this game is like San Andreas. San Andreas was funny, over the top and had fun missions and funny characters. GTA4 was dull as fuck. I can't wait for this game.

MMaRsu

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
pretty funny...

the game is pretty unimpressive graphically though....GTA IV looks much better.

I only played like 10 mins of the original and really disliked it, so I think Infamous will be my next city sandbox

Gameplay > graphics though.. and you played 10 mins and disliked it..okay how about getting into a game??

Goldrusher

raYne said:
This is true. They should've totally half-assed it, as that seems like the thing to do.
I'm talking about the trailers. All so very different. With one they attract many new players, with the next one they scare them all away again.

I'm still not convinced by this game. All together, it's silly, stupid and dumb. In a way, that's good, but some people here want this game to beat the shit out of GTA. And without more reality, that ain't happening. As it stands now, Saints Row 2 is pretty much 100% fantasy. Everything, from the city to the characters, the gangs, the products within the game world, the radio, etc. etc. What makes GTA so popular is, above everything else, the comedy, the satire. Not the freedom.

However, I must say I'm impressed by many changes they made from the original. The more realistic graphical style and all of the new stuff they've added on top of the already many mini games and acitivites, the planes, the helicopters, the boats.

K7 Avenger said:
I hope this game is like San Andreas. San Andreas was funny, over the top and had fun missions and funny characters. GTA4 was dull as fuck. I can't wait for this game.
Overall, it does scream "next-gen Los Santos", which is great.

But... unfortunately... it does not scream "next-gen San Andreas". It's only one city (the same city as the first game which is even worse). No farmlands, no forests, no rivers and lakes, no other towns or cities, no mountains, no desert, no nothing.

thrasher said:
I'd love to this do 10 mil in sales
The first game sold 2 million something on the 360. Right now, perhaps 3 million on that platform is reasonable... But don't forget it will be released amongst Fable 2, Far Cry 2, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm Pacific Rift, Resistance 2, Call of Duty World at War, Tomb Raider Underworld, Midnight Club Los Angeles, Gears of War 2, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Need for Speed Undercover, etc. etc. Dozens of great games and huge franchises.
On PS3...many have never heard of Saints Row. And on PC, it will have to battle GTAIV.

10 million is very unlikely. And there are many, many other games out there who deserve sales more than Saints Row 2.

raYne

Goldrusher said:
I'm talking about the trailers. All so very different. With one they attract many new players, with the next one they scare them all away again.

I'm still not convinced by this game. All together, it's silly, stupid and dumb. In a way, that's good, but some people here want this game to beat the shit out of GTA. And without more reality, that ain't happening. As it stands now, Saints Row 2 is pretty much 100% fantasy. Everything, from the city to the characters, the gangs, the products within the game world, the radio, etc. etc. What makes GTA so popular is, above everything else, the comedy, the satire. Not the freedom.

However, I must say I'm impressed by many changes they made from the original. The more realistic graphical style and all of the new stuff they've added on top of the already many mini games and acitivites, the planes, the helicopters, the boats.

But... unfortunately... it does not scream "next-gen San Andreas". It's only one city (the same city as the first game which is even worse). No farmlands, no forests, no rivers and lakes, no other towns or cities, no mountains, no desert, no nothing.

The first game sold 2 million something on the 360. Right now, perhaps 3 million on that platform is reasonable... But don't forget it will be released amongst Fable 2, Far Cry 2, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm Pacific Rift, Resistance 2, Call of Duty World at War, Tomb Raider Underworld, Midnight Club Los Angeles, Gears of War 2, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Need for Speed Undercover, etc. etc. Dozens of great games and huge franchises.

On PS3...many have never heard of Saints Row. And on PC, it will have to battle GTAIV.
There's so much wrong in this that I don't know where to start. However, I'm not in the mood and don't want to get into this yet again, so I'll just say, "ok".

methane47 said:
Can someone help me out with some info?

does this game have local co-op??
See post 116.

MMaRsu

Banned
Goldrusher said:

10 million is very unlikely. And there are many, many other games out there who deserve sales more than Saints Row 2.

Oh man...

RobertM

Goldrusher said:

This is laughable.

raYne

RobertM said:
This is laughable.
Quiet you. He knows what he's talking about.

I'm trying to not let yet another thread degenerate into that "topic" again. Let it go! :p

AndyIsTheMoney said:
i don't know guys after watching this trailer im starting to think an 80's styled buddy cop movie would be possible. Obama the new hotshot rookie with a loose cannon, and McCain as the old cop 1 week away from retirement and hes got to work with Obama for his last week. Putin as the bad guy of course.
:O I'd buy it.

i don't know guys after watching this trailer im starting to think an 80's styled buddy cop movie would be possible. Obama the new hotshot rookie with a loose cannon, and McCain as the old cop 1 week away from retirement and hes got to work with Obama for his last week. Putin as the bad guy of course.

zsswimmer

Ya know, a couple of months ago and I had virtually no interest in this game. But after the hole that GTA IV left, this is becoming one of the most anticipating games! Seriously, the amount of detail and customization is insane. I really really tried to love GTA IV, sadly, I just couldn't.

This is going to be one hell of a fall season, thanks rayne for those impressions.

MMaRsu

Banned
ice cream said:
Are there also gonna be normal online modes? Like the first SR?
If so I hope they've fixed the massive amounts of lag..

The first "massive amounts of lag" was already fixed in the first game after a while...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I agree this is releasing at the wrong, time, though.

Should have released it early September like the original, or in February like Crackdown. It would have cleaned up in either of those months, but it could quite easily get lost in the shuffle this year.

MMaRsu

Banned
Imo this isn't releasing at the wrong time at all. Other titles will compete with SR2, and SR2 will compete with them.

Saints Row 1 was pretty big on 360. If they do some good advertising, it will be much bigger across platforms.

After the disappointment that is GTA4 and playing Merc 2 over the weekend. Solid game but its just more proof that SR2 will be the new king of sandbox games. I cant wait.

I really hope the characters don't grind me the wrong way in this one. It looks like its starting to shape up to a really impressive package, but if the characters irritate me, I have a hard time enjoying a game.

Dabanton

Guybrush Threepwood said:
It's nearly impossible for a game to have a worse soundtrack than GTA IV, so no worries.

Agree. GTA:IV radio stations with a few exceptions were absolutely forgettable.

I don't know if that was an joke by R* to say modern radio is rubbish.

dejay

Banned
Goldrusher said:

I used to think that the satire in GTA is what made me love it. To a large extent it was. However, I found that I enjoyed the first Saints Row more than GTA IV, despite it's sad attempts at satire, it's glitchy streaming and lack of motorcycles and aircraft.

So, in my situation at least, fun is more important than satire, and that's what Saints Row is about; silly, stupid, dumb, 100% fantasy fun. I'd also point out that saying GTA is less than 100% fantasy, especially San Andreas (my fav GTA), would be wrong.

Saints Row 2 apparently has the streaming fixed, it has aircraft and it has motorcycles, as well as a shit load of cool side missions and a kick arse combat system. I wouldn't have a clue if the writing is better or if the satire is more mature, but that would only be the icing on the cake anyway.

It's taken 1 released game and 1 nearly released game from Volition and 1 released game from Rockstar to turn me from a Rockstar fan into a Volition fan. I don't care how the game sells compared to GTA IV; I really couldn't give a fuck about sales-age. Hopefully it will sell enough to keep Volition interested in producing more content for it and more games like it.

Hopefully you can get a Santa suit again.
I loved messing around with that on. Ho Ho Ho.

sp0rsk said:
Do you guys like those "adjective movie" parody movies?

Not sure what you're getting at. Saint's Row isn't exactly sophisticated but at least it's a shitload of fun. I watched five minutes of Epic movie and was tempted to walk outside and burn my house down.

dejay

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Hopefully you can get a Santa suit again.
I loved messing around with that on. Ho Ho Ho.

Santa suit top, love-heart boxer shorts, bunny ear slippers and the platinum RPG was how I rolled in the first game :D

Blizzard

Banned
I probably wouldn't ever get to play this game, but wow...if you can play as Obama and McCain in co-op, BEST GAME EVER. I want John McCain with a rocket launcher.

*edit*

Oh, and it features Dr. Horrible? And I just saw this GIF earlier in the thread:

sr2_1.gif

YES.

Top Bottom