• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row 2 co-op trailer featuring Obama and McCain

dejay

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Do you guys like those "adjective movie" parody movies?

No, but I like Airplane!, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Hot Shots and Blazing Saddles.

lynux3 said:
Is it known whether or not this game will support trophies?

No word as yet - I think not at this stage (unless anyone's got any info).

sp0rsk said:
Do you guys like those "adjective movie" parody movies?

While the humor at times does reflect that type of humor (like the septic tank spraying lame shit they have...not to forget the terrible Busey stuff), a lot of it just amounts to fun gameplay in the end. I am all for more developers choosing to make a fun game rather than an attempt at serious story telling that hinders the gameplay and enjoyment of the final product.

nelsonroyale said:
pretty funny...

the game is pretty unimpressive graphically though....GTA IV looks much better.

I only played like 10 mins of the original and really disliked it, so I think Infamous will be my next city sandbox

Like that means anything. SR2 looks like its going to shit on GTA IV's gameplay which quite frankly is what matters.

Also judging a game, especially a sandbox game after just 10 minutes is so incredibly stupid. I don't see how you could know anything about the game. Not to mention that SR2 is looking to be a massive improvement over the original.

Ranger X

This game looks like it's exactly expanding where GTA4 failed to.

I'm definetely interested! So you can play the freaking entire single player campaing in coop?

Seriously, is this online and offline? I'd love to play the whole game offline with my girlfriend.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ranger X said:
This game looks like it's exactly expanding where GTA4 failed to.

I'm definetely interested! So you can play the freaking entire single player campaing in coop?

Seriously, is this online and offline? I'd love to play the whole game offline with my girlfriend.

Online & systemlink..because you can be on the other side of the city while your friend is somewhere else...

Ranger X

MMaRsu said:
Online & systemlink..because you can be on the other side of the city while your friend is somewhere else...

Damn. I wish splitscreen would have been an option. I'm sure it would have been possible even if it was needed to cheapen the graphics.

sullytao

Looks like we are getting details on multiplayer next week :D
http://community.saintsrow.com/blogs/?p=211

Win a Trip to Play SR2 MP!

Do you think you have what it takes to be canonized as a Third Street Saint? Are you ready to take on the Brotherhood, Ronin and Sons of Samedi? Can you defend Stilwater while gangsters from around the world compete to claim dominance? Do you want a chance to play the multiplayer version of Saints Row 2 before ANYONE ELSE?

Then listen up!

THQ and WorthPlaying are bringing one lucky winner to the WORLD PREMIERE Saints Row 2 Multiplayer Event. The winner will receive free roundtrip airfare to San Francisco and one night’s hotel stay.

Scheduled for the evening of September 24th at an undisclosed location in San Francisco, CA, the Saints Row 2 Multiplayer Event will give you a chance to check out the game, party with the developers, and go toe-to-toe with other players in the previously unseen Saints Row 2 multiplayer game modes.

The winner will also have his/her thoughts on the game published on WorthPlaying.com, so if you’ve ever wanted to tell the world what you think of a game, here’s your opportunity. Two main rules to note though is that you must be a resident of the U.S., and be 21 years of age or older.

All entries must be received by 11:59PM PDT on September 18, 2008 (Thursday), so hurry up! Full contest information and an entry form can be found here: Contest Link

RobertM

Sean said:
Yup, it does. Supposedly the Achievements and Trophies list are both unique too (which I'm not sure I like).
I'm surprised it has trophies considering some of the games that are coming out close to the end of the year and after that don't *cough* Prince of Persia *cough*.

RobertM said:
I'm surprised it has trophies considering some of the games that are coming out close to the end of the year and after that don't *cough* Prince of Persia *cough*.

PoP will also have trophies. UBI corrected the original article about it not having trophies.

Azih

What makes GTA so popular is, above everything else, the comedy, the satire
No what made GTA popular was flame throwering civillians, throwing molotov cocktails at cops and then running away in a stolen car from helicopters firing machine guns at you. GTAIV kinda forgot that in favour of a narrative that is not only as cliched and trite as anything in Saint's Row but was dull where Saint's Row was entertaining.

Stitch

Gold Member
Saints Row 2 Hands-On - Story, Co-op, and Zombies

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...7587&mode=previews&tag=text-related-content;1

Finally, because even the most violent criminal needs a home to call his own, you can also customize your crib. There's the option to simply upgrade your crib's overall theme from something cheap and run down to something much classier, or upgrade your furniture piece by piece. However, even the cheapest of entertainment centers gives you the ability to play one of Saints Row 2's hidden gems: a video game within the game called "Zombie Uprising." Rather than a retro arcade game, this is actually a fully 3D zombie game that applies the look and feel of the regular game to a darker, more zombie-filled setting. In it you need to survive wave after wave of undead with a limited number of weapons and fellow survivors. It may be a poor man's Left 4 Dead, but it's still a very cool throw-in that's indicative of just how much there is to do in Saints Row 2 if you go around looking.

Zombies, man. They creep me out.

raYne

Preview roundup 3 is up. There will only be a few quotes compared to the first two through. Not only are they shorter articles than the previous ones, but they just restate a bunch of feature etc that were already pointed out before:

http://www.totalvideogames.com/articles/Saints_Row_2_-_Co-Op_Hands-On_13753.htm
http://www.gameshark.com/previews/3406/Saints-Row-2-Hands-on-Preview.htm
http://www.gamepro.com/article/previews/207115/saints-row-2-puts-a-hit-out-on-gta/ (Wow @ the article's title/addy)
http://www.game-over.com/reviews.php?page=features&id=592
http://www.xboxaddict.com/preview/77.html

Co-op:
We knew Saints Row 2 was going to be an over-the-top affair from our past experiences, but taking over Stilwater co-operatively makes it even more compelling and fun than we thought it could be.

Speaking of slight tweaks, the game's online-co-op manages to be amongst the strongest I've ever seen in a game, due to some slight tweaks. Every mission and activity has been tuned to be just as enjoyable with one player or two.

Joining a friend seems straightforward enough, and progressing through missions is just as compelling, perhaps even more so. But it's through completing the various activities like Demolition Derby, Rampage, or the new Fight Club activity that co-op is coming to life. The two players can be on either side of the city, but when one tries to start an activity, the other gets automatically invited to take part. They don't have to, but at least players are given the chance to decide for themselves either way.

General Impressions & Features:
These missions were made way more enjoyable with the addition of checkpoints, as well as a neat post-mission screen that includes a mocked-up newspaper page noting your actions. It's a small addition, but it really gives meaning to every mission in the game.

Those expecting the lay of the land to be familiar when playing Saints Row 2--much in the same way that the PSP GTA games slightly tweaked its cities-- should think again, as the city has been completely overhauled at the hands of the Ultor Corporation.

I'll answer the question all of you have right now. No, Saints Row 2 is not better than GTA IV. I will say, however, that it's about as close in quality as any other game I've seen. Could the as-of-yet publicly-shown online multiplayer tip the scales? It's entirely possible.
I had to put this in. If only for the lulz.

One radio station in particularly seemed to bug me. The "Underground" radio station seemed to play the indie-punk songs I gravitate towards normally, but the station fades in and out as you traverse Stillwater. Is it realistic? Yes. Is it in anyway enjoyable from a gameplay perspective? Hell no. Points for trying, Volition, but it didn't really work for me.
:lol Hilarious. Easiest way around that is to set up one of your in-game custom soundtrack playlists to include the songs from that station. Potential crisis averted.

The last noteworthy item in SR2 is the music, with personal favorites such as Ah-a’s “Take on Me”, and Europe’s “The Final Countdown” these are awesome tunes for a child of the 80’s like me.

It was also very obvious early on in the game that the developers have made a considerable effort getting the in-vehicle radio stations to offer some compelling and appropriate music. So often it seems that all of the other titles in this genre and even Rockstar Games (the creators of the GTA series and the sandbox genre in general) have dropped the ball in this regard, but it was good to see one title strive to get it right. Players are likely to be quite surprised with the offerings when the game is released.

The version we played was 90% complete, and seemed to be free of any irritating bugs. The graphics were as strong as the last title, with a whole mess of extra detail laid on top of it.

Overall, the game reminded me of the fun of Crackdown, but it has elements that GTA 4 was missing…the crucial coop gameplay.

If you were a fan of the previous game, then you’ll love all the new additions to the game, and if you’re a newcomer, you’ll love the open world gameplay, and coop game modes.

The game looks good with a bright, somewhat cartoony flair. Slowdowns rarely occurred, and were mostly confined to co-op sessions with lots of simultaneous mayhem. The ability to create a character that's completely goofy and over the top can make for some odd moments when said character is presented in a serious cut scene, however that's a matter of personal taste and is rectified by either making a serious looking character or foregoing the hot dog suit.

On the audio front, the voice acting is top notch and there are plenty of great songs to be heard on the radio whether you're using the default playlist or your own custom in-game playlist.

Saints Row 2 is shaping up to be one content heavy game. With dozens of activities and diversions and three rival gangs to take out, co-op and multiplayer, chances are it will take you some time to see and do everything that Stillwater has to offer. If open world mayhem appeals to you or you just want to see yourself running around in chaps and a belly shirt, Saints Row 2 may just have the cure for what ails you when it hits the street on October 14.

Customization:
The funny part of all of this is that players are actually in control of the character from the first game. During the storyline when characters from the original come into play they stare at you puzzled, and often ask if you have changed your hair “or something.” It’s this kind of self-referential humor that gives the game’s storyline some levity in the midst of all of the heavy, violent themes throughout the title.
They did the same in the first. Good to see it coming back.

raYne

Geezer said:
Has anyone had a hands on with the PS3 version yet?
Very little PS3 specific stuff. It was pretty much just mentioned in passing.

Supposedly it's the same quality-wise in the build, but you know how that goes. There is also Sixaxis motion control for vehicles like the planes and choppers, but you can toggle that to default stick control if you prefer.

Saints Row 2 marks the first time the franchise appears on the PlayStation 3, and it has to be said that vehicular control is a little bit loose on the SIXAXIS - though we're putting that more down to the age old problem with those controllers. That said, the often derided motion control of the gamepad is actually being intelligently implemented here, with the choppers and boats utilising the function if that's how you want to roll. However, the helicopters don't seem to be as responsive as they were in Rockstar's latest opus, especially when it comes to altering altitude.

Sirolf

This is really the ultimate sandbox game for me.
I've really great hopes for this after my personal deception with GTA IV.

MMaRsu

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Looks lame to me.

root_for_us.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
idahoblue said:
Care to elucidate that comment?

Graphically it's pretty insignificant, the art is rather poor and just lacks that 'organic-ness', when compared to GTA. I really hate the character design.

MMaRsu said:
Well I liked it :p

I thought that was rather brilliant actually. Good job.

Dead Man

DaCocoBrova said:
Graphically it's pretty insignificant, the art is rather poor and just lacks that 'organic-ness', when compared to GTA. I really hate the character design.
So you keep saying...
Saints Row 2 trailer- Sons of Samedi
DaCocoBrova said:
Saints Row seems far more contrived IMO. Less organic.
but what does that mean? The art style is simplistic, I will give you that. I don't think that's a negative though. I like the clarity of it. I don't know if it is 'insignificant'.

raYne

idahoblue said:
So you keep saying...
Saints Row 2 trailer- Sons of Samedi
but what does that mean? The art style is simplistic, I will give you that. I don't think that's a negative though. I like the clarity of it. I don't know if it is 'insignificant'.
It's not specifically just the art style, as I've mentioned it in the past as well.

The game (particularly the city areas) is a little too clean and sterile. But of course there are a variety of environments this time around, so it'll be more obvious in some than others.

"Graphically insignificant" is a whole nother matter though. As it's pretty much the 2nd best looking sandbox game, behind GTAIV. And I don't see how people expect them (or anyone developing a game in the genre) to compete with a 100 mil budget.

Dead Man

raYne said:
It's not specifically just the art style, as I've mentioned it in the past as well.

The game (particularly the city) is a little too clean and sterile. But of course there are a variety of environments this time around, so it'll be more obvious in some than others.
Ok, thanks. I agree it is a bit sterile. But the masses of content and options to play with seem to make up for a fair bit of it for me at least. To each their own I guess.

Ranger X

Who cares about the lesser graphics? In GTA4 i play graphics and in Saint's Row 2 there's a chance i will play gameplay.

raYne

Ranger X said:
Who cares about the lesser graphics? In GTA4 i play graphics and in Saint's Row 2 there's a chance i will play gameplay.
I find this post far more hilarious than I should. :lol

sullytao

DaCocoBrova said:
Yeah it sucks when games go with style rather than fun. Cant imagine what the devs were thinking.

sullytao

Details on one of the new multiplayer modes revealed. Sounds pretty damn awesome :D
http://www.incgamers.com/Games/1548/News/Saints-Row-2-Multiplayer-Details-Revealed/13749

Volition has revealed Saints Row 2 will feature a new multiplayer game mode, Strong Arm.

Having heard a lot about the co-op mode we were keen to learn more about the competitive multiplayer and Saints Row 2 Lead Designer, James Tsai, told us what to expect.

"We feature the traditional gangsta brawl and team gangsta brawl for players eager to warm up with a nice deathmatch," said Tsai, "but the heart of the experience is the new team-based Strong Arm mode."

In Strong Arm mode, teams compete to earn money in one of several district-themed maps. Basic kills will earn you some cash, but the big money is made through performing activities (in the same way that you would in single player mode).

Strong Arm also features special "tag spots" which, when controlled, provide your team with special benfits like police support, unlimited sprint, increased damage etc.

"So teams will need to balance performing their own activities, disrupting the other team, and also fighting over tag spots", said Tsai. "There’s a lot of strategy and teamwork required for success in Strong Arm."

Check out our full interview with James Tsai here.

(interview link) http://www.incgamers.com/Games/1548/interviews/143/INTERVIEW-Saints-Row-2

raYne

sullytao said:
Strong Arm also features special "tag spots" which, when controlled, provide your team with special benefits like police support, unlimited sprint, increased damage etc.
:lol at the thought of gangsters calling in the cops to help them against other gangsters.

edit:
From the linked interview:

What engine is Saints Row 2 based on? What visual enhancements have been made since the first game?
JT: The Saints Row 2 engine is an improved version of the original Saints Row engine, which was built in-house at Volition and uses Havok for physics simulation. There’s been a major overhaul to the streaming system to allow smoother loading throughout the city, which was necessary so we could include all the new vehicle types. Character models are leaps and bounds more detailed than they were in SR1. We’ve improved our lighting, which makes the city look great at night, and added things like motion blur to give the player a better sense of speed when driving or turning.
Someone (I think pr0cs?) asked about something similar that I mentioned in the dev blog. Well, there you go.

One of the major issues with open-world games is framerate. Have you had any problems maintaining a stable framerate?
JT: Since we’re using an improved and modified version of the Saints Row engine, we had the advantage of not having to write everything from scratch. While there were definitely times during development when we’d try out a new system and the performance of the game would suffer for a few days, we’ve gotten the time to make the optimizations we’ve wanted to make and as a result the game is both stable and smooth.

dejay

Banned
Slowdowns rarely occurred, and were mostly confined to co-op sessions with lots of simultaneous mayhem.

The impressions on less slow down are promising.

Joining a friend seems straightforward enough, and progressing through missions is just as compelling, perhaps even more so. But it's through completing the various activities like Demolition Derby, Rampage, or the new Fight Club activity that co-op is coming to life. The two players can be on either side of the city, but when one tries to start an activity, the other gets automatically invited to take part. They don't have to, but at least players are given the chance to decide for themselves either way.

I'd thought about mission co-op, but never thought about co-op in the activities. The way they've implemented co-op is brilliant - drop in, drop out, missions, free roam and activities. True sandbox ideology in regards to how co-op is handled.

Top Bottom