• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row IV |OT| One Nation, One Crew

IT works for me, trims off 9 euros.
Still waiting to hear about the LAN support, though.

Ah now it works, you need to write it not copy paste it only.

Arg now I have the indecission, trim 9 euros on GMG or trim 5 and get the team fortress skins from steam.
Decissions, decissions...

What does a weapon costume do, only changes the appearencem or also changes what the weapon does?

Ah now it works, you need to write it not copy paste it only.

Arg now I have the indecission, trim 9 euros on GMG or trim 5 and get the team fortress skins from steam.
Decissions, decissions...

What does a weapon costume do, only changes the appearencem or also changes what the weapon does?

it changes the appearance and effects (bullet sound and appearance) but the actual stats and firing style (burst, automatic, etc.) remain the same

From the review thread. This is how I feel about Saints Row IV. THUMBS UP.

my-great-game-my-great-capture-2013-08-14-02-02-41.png

Thoughts (not a general review, just observations on what I thought was fun (I say that word a lot in this))

First ten minutes.

I'm about to livestream it in about five minutes for a good ninety minutes. Check it out here!

Don't you know, it's for the kiddies. GTA a big boy's game.

All I know is I just finished SR3, and I laughed and laughed and smiled and had a great old time. I never made it through GTA IV and I tried over and over and over to get myself through it.

I never liked Oleg. He was a big russian dude thats only redeeming feature was that he was a big russian dude. Im equally happy Angel is gone. Flipping useless character. Zimos could of had more mileage though.

Oleg and Angel were the fuckers who were pushing me to let Shaundi die (gave em' the ol' middle finger to that suggestion). Good riddance, I say.

winstano

Game is ace. Completed a tonne of stuff, ploughing through the collectibles now. Loyalty missions are great, and there's a few performance issues on the PS3. My review should be up later on today.

Oh, and there is some stuff in the game that I am STAGGERED hasn't leaked, but left me with an enormous grin on my face. Awesome stuff.

Got it on greenmangaming at the end. 40 euros.
Hope they put the keys up before release so I can preload, becuase it says until release no keys (I remember getting them a week before with SR3 and Sleeping Dogs from them).

Mad Max

Got it on greenmangaming at the end. 40 euros.
Hope they put the keys up before release so I can preload, becuase it says until release no keys (I remember getting them a week before with SR3 and Sleeping Dogs from them).

Same here, but they'll probably start sending out keys a couple of days before release as they did with other games.

v0mitg0d

Ok here we go. Remember these are just my opinions--not facts. It's subjective and my opinions may not be like other reviewers.

• Saints Row 4 is just a wonderfully huge sandbox of absolute gameplay joy. It's bigger than life, and there's no way you're prepared for it.
  • For the other Crackdown fans out there, this is the closest thing we've got to a Crackdown 3...at least until it's official announcements. For me it is, by far, more enjoyable than Crackdown 2.
  • The game really nails traversal. It's more exciting than anything else out there, including inFAMOUS and Prototype. It's nothing but pure joy to jump and soar around looking for events and collectibles.
  • I played it on the PC and it looks great with everything cranked up, however I recommend the low setting for ambient occlusion. Everything else maxed out.
  • Indeed the game crashed on my 3 times out of 20+ hours of gameplay. Since I've had my review copy the game has been patched twice already. No crashes since second patch.
  • The narrative is campy & mostly fun--kinda like a snowcone--but make no mistake, SR4 is mostly about it's smattering of absurd gameplay/mechanics.
  • One of the thing is does well is mock other games like the Mass Effect series. It's great, you'll see.
  • Saints Row 4 comes at a great time. Between The Last of Us & other serious games, it's a nice little weekend ice-cream treat after a long work week.
  • I did not love all the events. There were 2 in particular I thought we just ok.

MYeager

Question for the reviewers who have the game, in Saint's Row 3 the progression system allowed the main character to be overpowered to the point where there was no difficulty to the missions. With the addition of super powers and such I'm worried that this will be a bigger problem, does the game scale and adapt to the player or do you become even more ridiculously overpowered?

So...dat console version...

OPM UK said the framerate in the PS3 version frequently tanks and drops to 10-15 FPS during numerous story missions.

Not to sound elitist, but going from the PC version of Saints Row IV to the Xbox 360 version of the game was enough to make me think that they maybe shouldn't have released this game on consoles. The frame rate of Saints Row: The Third wasn't pretty on consoles, and the bigger ask related to your character's speed and mobility make this game run even worse. The frame rate is rarely acceptable and on top of that, the game likes to hitch up completely for a bit when it autosaves. Making precision landings and lining up headshots is more difficult with its rotten frame rate, and the game is, overall, less fun on the Xbox 360 than it is on a proper PC as a result.

ibwjS9ts9RcFFR.gif

Karak

I know two or three guys like this. Funny thing is that they like to complain about GTA4 and how it wasn't fun enough but when I mention SR I only get 'gtfo with that trash'. Not that they played any of the games...

If Saints wasn't happy as a pig in shit wearing the "trash" moniker that would be something that would be worrisome. But their handling of the game/press/audience is simply wonderful. They give a big hug to everything crazy:)

It just works for them.

So...dat console version...

OPM UK said the framerate in the PS3 version frequently tanks and drops to 10-15 FPS during numerous story missions.

Not to sound elitist, but going from the PC version of Saints Row IV to the Xbox 360 version of the game was enough to make me think that they maybe shouldn't have released this game on consoles. The frame rate of Saints Row: The Third wasn't pretty on consoles, and the bigger ask related to your character's speed and mobility make this game run even worse. The frame rate is rarely acceptable and on top of that, the game likes to hitch up completely for a bit when it autosaves. Making precision landings and lining up headshots is more difficult with its rotten frame rate, and the game is, overall, less fun on the Xbox 360 than it is on a proper PC as a result.

http://i.minus.com/ibwjS9ts9RcFFR.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Lol, that gif

Yeah, definitely renting PS3 and buying later on PC. Thank goodness I can upload my boss to the site for later export.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I had a fuckin' blast playin' this game.

I'm a bit late on my review writing, but I 100%ed the PC version (in just under 30 hours) and I can tell you guys are in for a treat. Super powers are the shit, but it's the sheer number of easters, references and just nods and love to video games and movies that got to me the most. It's pure fun.

Jim's review on destructoid is definitely the best and most accurate review so far.

Lol, that gif

Yeah, definitely renting PS3 and buying later on PC. Thank goodness I can upload my boss to the site for later export.

I don't think, (even uploading to your SR site file) allows you to transfer console characters to PC and the other way around. I tried to do it when the inauguration station came out and it didn't work, some quick research found a few threads on the SR forums saying you can't. However I could be mistaken but it that is the case, you could just open up the stats for your character on your console and physically copy them over to PC.

yami4ct

Super sad to hear the console version is crap. There goes my plan of GameFly-ing the 360 version. Hmmmm, guess I have to hunt down a PC copy. What's the cheapest someone has a steam-key version for? I see I can get it from Greenman for $40, but can anyone beat that?

Courage

Usually the console complaints are hyperbolic when reviewers use the PC port of a game for their review. I bet the difference is drastic, but for people like me that never really owned a PC for gaming, it should be acceptable as I'm accustomed to the shitty framerate drops already. They did the same thing for Bioshock Infinite, and the 360 port runs fine.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I took a crap lot of screenshots too, if you guys want I can ditch out a few here.

yami4ct

Yeah apparently the 360 version of Third is terrible too, and I've had 0 problems with it.

The Third could get rough in spots where there was a lot going on. Definitely could go down do 10-15 FPS. Apparently in IV those spots are a lot more frequent and actually harm the playability rather than being just a minor inconvenience.

Yeah apparently the 360 version of Third is terrible too, and I've had 0 problems with it.

i'm pretty sure its 'fine', and so are most console games these days or people wouldn't buy them.

but if you glimpse at the 'light' of pc version...

but with most games you just get used to it.

yami4ct

How on earth is the PC version dearer than the console version, even with the 20% GMG Code?

When I spent a grand on my PC a month and a half ago, I was promised cheaper games!

Cheaper new PC games have been a myth for a while now. Heck, a lot of the bigger publishers have been charging the full $60 US price across all versions for a while now. When PC games are cheaper, it's because of awesome indies and steam sales.

I don't think, (even uploading to your SR site file) allows you to transfer console characters to PC and the other way around. I tried to do it when the inauguration station came out and it didn't work, some quick research found a few threads on the SR forums saying you can't. However I could be mistaken but it that is the case, you could just open up the stats for your character on your console and physically copy them over to PC.

Hrm, I had assumed I screwed something up when I failed to upload to the IS. Thanks for the heads up.

jimi_dini

Chrome gives me this warning when I click the first ten minutes link. First link is fine and loads normally.

It's because of the HTTPS link. It seems the certificate isn't correct, but that doesn't matter because you don't want to enter your creditcard or something like that.

Just change it to HTTP and it will work w/o problems

HigXx

Is anyone else not able to link their PS3 account on the Saints Row website? I click "Link" but nothing loads. It loads for Xbox and Steam when I click it. Help??

Top Bottom