• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: NTDOY Q4 earnings report

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
For the full year, I can see $16b - $17b in revenue and more than $3b in net income. These numbers are in line with latest Apple earnings! (iirc $24.5b in revenue and $3b in net profit)

Sharp

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
So the Wii's attach rate is higher than 360's after the same period of time? But I thought 360 software sold so much better than Wii software? Looks like I've been lied to all along.
No, it's not. Only for the month of December.

Britprog

JavyOO7 said:
That's a bit worrying I believe. The Wii was selling great for a while during most of the first half of 2007 and then seemed to slow down quite a bit in the 2nd half until November came and went. I guess I'm just blinded by DS numbers and thinking the Wii should do that as well.

The slow down in 07 was due to lack of new software, I remember big increase in wii sales when MP8 came out.

How about Brawl, I'm expecting great sales myself, but will brawl help sell wii to the hardcore crowd in Japan?

It could get interesting, maybe brawl can help galaxy get past the 1M milestone.

AniHawk

CubeRevolution said:

Awesome! Thanks.

DS:

Nintendogs: 17.79m
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 14.17m
New Super Mario Bros. 13.14m
Brain Age: 11.71m
Brain Age 2: 9.84m
Mario Kart DS: 9.67m
Animal Crossing Wild World: 9.2m
Super Mario 64 DS: 5.78m
Big Brain Academy: 4.61m
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 3.82m
Mario Party DS: 2.67m
Pokemon Ranger: 2.61m
Flash Focus: 2.11m
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time/Darkness: 1.54m

Wii:

Wii Sports: 17.85m
Wii Play: 9.23m
Super Mario Galaxy: 5.19m
Mario Party 8: 4.35m
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 4.3m
Super Paper Mario: 2.16m
Big Brain Academy Wii Degree: 2m
Mario Strikers Charged: 1.65m
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption: 1.14m
Link's Crossbow Training: 1.07m
Wii Fit: 1.05m

Supposedly, 1m copies of TP for the GC have been sold overall, bringing its total sales over 5m.

Dalthien

Son.Ralph.Funk said:
So the Wii's attach rate is higher than 360's after the same period of time? But I thought 360 software sold so much better than Wii software? Looks like I've been lied to all along.

I just took these numbers from Fuzzy - he was kind enough to do the calculations based upon the tie ratios given in the IGN article.

For the US:

Software December/07
Wii - 10.95 million
Xbox 360 - 9.78 million
PS3 - 4.02 million

Software LTD
Xbox 360 - 64.05 million
Wii - 34.24 million
PS3 - 13.85 million

For comparison, at the same point in the X360 life (end of Dec/06)

Wii tie ratio - 4.64
Xbox 360 tie ratio - 5.1

Wii software ~ 34.24 million
X360 software ~ 23.1 million

So the Wii tie ratio is a bit below the X360 at the same point, but the Wii has sold far more software (11 million units) than the X360 at this point.

AniHawk said:
Awesome! Thanks.

DS:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue: 1.54m

Wii:

Supposedly, 1m copies of TP for the GC have been sold overall, bringing its total sales over 5m.

These are worldwide numbers? As of what date? CubeRevolution's post is blank. :S

AniHawk

Magicpaint said:

Not bad for two months.

Magicpaint said:
Phantom Hourglass is doing very well too, for a portable Zelda. Should have easily passed Minish Cap by now.

I wish we had more updated numbers than that old graphic from 2004 (which had FSA and TWW WW shipments), just to see where these place.

AniHawk said:
Not bad for two months.
Yeah, I think 10+ million is a sure banker now. I think it's selling faster than NSMB on a WW scale. I was worried that it wasn't doing too well in Europe, but going by these numbers, it has been a smash hit in Europe. Which of course makes me very happy. :D

AniHawk said:
I wish we had more updated numbers than that old graphic from 2004 (which had FSA and TWW WW shipments), just to see where these place.
Hmm yeah, but I can't imagined the numbers for most of the titles on there have increased drastically.

Dalthien

AniHawk said:
Awesome! Thanks.

I believe the last number that Nintendo reported for the GC version was 1.32 million.

So that puts Zelda: Twilight Princess at 5.62 million combined (at least) thus far.

AniHawk

Magicpaint said:
Hmm yeah, but I can't imagined the numbers for most of the titles on there have increased drastically.

I just wanted to know right around where TMC and TWW wound up. I don't remember getting any official numbers for final resting places.

Dalthien said:
So that puts Zelda: Twilight Princess at 5.62 million combined (at least) thus far.

Thanks.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Anihawk, thats Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time/Darkness, not Blue

Blue actually did twice as much as that current number

jjgames

First off I think the Nintendo numbers are great. The DS and Wii have raised their numbers a ton.

mj1108 said:
[/B]

I just gotta comment on this has this is something that I've always noticed when a company posts it's earnings. Wall Street analysts will expect a company to post, for example a $100 million dollar profit for a quarter. But damn it all if you happen to have a quarter with a $98 million dollar profit. They then think you failed, you're losing money, etc...and your share price takes a hit -- even though you made 98 million for the quarter in profit. Just because some guy with a suit on, who probably lives in his mom's basement pulled the $100 million dollar number out of his ass as an "expectation", you've ultimately failed.

It's really ridiculous.

The expectations are not pulled "out of his ass". Many companies provide their own expectations to analysts. For example Nintendo told analysts how many systems they expected to sell and how much software too.

A stock price is not based upon current earnings, but future earnings so any change to the expectation changes the price a lot.

Example: You pay $65 a share for Nintendo stock. If you were buying for today's earnings only you would get $1-2 dollars per share. You would obviously be losing money. You pay $65 and get $2. You have to be paying for future earnings as well. $2 every year for a long time. Nintendo is also growing so they will make more than that next year. Everyone expects that they will. If everyone buying the stock expects that they will make $3 per share next year, they are willing to pay a certain price for it. If they only make $2.50 per share they are still making a lot of money but not as much as you expected. People are not willing to pay as much for the shares. So the share price has to come down to reflect this difference. This is why expectations are so important.

AniHawk said:
Awesome! Thanks.

DS:

Wii:

Wow, those are ridiculous numbers, especially when you consider what other games in the series have sold.
Pokemon DP will eventually outsell GS, mkaing it the second best selling one.
NSMB will eventually outsell Super Mario Land, making it the second best selling one.
Both Mario Party games are the best selling one in the series.
Phantom Hourglass has outsold all Zelda games in the past few years (except TP) and will eventually outsell the Oracle games.
Twilight Princess combined is the third best selling game in the series behind only the original and OoT.
Nintendogs will eventually outsell Super Mario Bros 3 and become the second best selling game of all time (outside of bundled games).
Forgot about Mario Kart DS, the best selling one in the series.

The DS now has 6 games in the top 20 games sold of all time, and that number will most likely become 7 since Animal Crossing is still selling.

I got all of my numbers from Wikipedia, I hope theyre reliable. If not, please feel free to correct.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
super funk said:
Wow, those are ridiculous numbers, especially when you consider what other games in the series have sold.
Pokemon DP will eventually outsell GS, mkaing it the second best selling one.
NSMB will eventually outsell Super Mario Land, making it the second best selling one.
Both Mario Party games are the best selling one in the series.
Phantom Hourglass has outsold all Zelda games in the past few years (except TP) and will eventually outsell the Oracle games.
Twilight Princess combined is the third best selling game in the series behind only the original and OoT.
Nintendogs will eventually outsell Super Mario Bros 3 and become the second best selling game of all time (outside of bundled games).
Forgot about Mario Kart DS, the best selling one in the series.

The DS now has 6 games in the top 20 games sold of all time, and that number will most likely become 7 since Animal Crossing is still selling.

I got all of my numbers from Wikipedia, I hope theyre reliable. If not, please feel free to correct.
Isnt G/S at 23 mil? I dont think D/P has the legs to reach that high

Jokeropia

AniHawk said:
DS:

Wii:

Now this is what I wanted. Awesomeness.

Busaiku

Those MP3:C numbers look pretty good.
How's it doing in comparison to MP2:E?

Also, what about Strikers compared to the original?

jman2050

super funk said:

I think it has an outside shot at the single SKU record. Mario 3 supplanted by another Mario game? Sounds about right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jman2050 said:
I think it has an outside shot at the single SKU record. Mario 3 supplanted by another Mario game? Sounds about right.

If it outsold SML it would have already outsold SMB3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jokeropia said:
I believe Corruption is about 100k from passing Echoes. Strikers Charged has already exceeded the original.

I'm going to say again that Strikers Charged is over-stocked right now. Observe the fact that when we last got shipment numbers (IE 3 months ago), Nintendo had shipped 250-300k of Strikers Charged to Japan.

Well, we just got the 2007 top 100. We know Strikers has managed to crawl to 105k. There are a bare minimum of 150-200k copies of Strikers allocated to Japan that have not sold. You can ask the question "Why would retailers continue to stock a game that's not selling?" and I don't have an answer for that. But I do know that the copies are there, unsold.

Phantom Hourglass is a little strange as well. 850k in Japan. Similar total in America. That's around 1.7 million. Did Europe/other sell more than American+Japan combined? That seems strange. It is possible that there's a large amount of stock in America not yet sold, and I think it's safe to say that it'll sell through quite well.

Most of the other titles have similar shipped/sold lag, but I expect those to briskly sell through. These two in particular are the ones that seem suspicious to me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
I'm going to say again that Strikers Charged is over-stocked right now. Observe the fact that when we last got shipment numbers (IE 3 months ago), Nintendo had shipped 250-300k of Strikers Charged to Japan.

Well, we just got the 2007 top 100. We know Strikers has managed to crawl to 105k. There are a bare minimum of 150-200k copies of Strikers allocated to Japan that have not sold. You can ask the question "Why would retailers continue to stock a game that's not selling?" and I don't have an answer for that. But I do know that the copies are there, unsold.

Phantom Hourglass is a little strange as well. 850k in Japan. Similar total in America. That's around 1.7 million. Did Europe/other sell more than American+Japan combined? That seems strange. It is possible that there's a large amount of stock in America not yet sold, and I think it's safe to say that it'll sell through quite well.

Most of the other titles have similar shipped/sold lag, but I expect those to briskly sell through. These two in particular are the ones that seem suspicious to me.

D/P seems a little under too me...or it just isnt as overshipped as Mario

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
HK-47 said:
D/P seems a little under too me...or it just isnt as overshipped as Mario

D/P is a tough nut to crack. You're looking at 6 million Japanese sales and almost 4 million US sales. So the question comes down to how much you're willing to cede Europe. It does appear that supply is a little tighter on DP than most of the Marquee titles.

We know that Pokemon titles have extremely long legs (RuSa and Fire/Leaf were in the top 10 GBA titles monthly in all the leaked data I've ever seen right up until the end of 2007), so you would think they'd be more willing to overship (and retailers to overbuy), but it's also the case that a lot of sales will go to the "third version" which should come this fall or so for Japan... so maybe that's the explanation.

Shiggy

Stumpokapow said:

Mybe I didn't understand you correctly, but there were only 240.000 units shipped to Japan. Now it has sold 105k over there. So there are only 135.000 units at most unsold - that still is a lot. But how do you get your 150-200k number?

jjgames said:
The expectations are not pulled "out of his ass". Many companies provide their own expectations to analysts. For example Nintendo told analysts how many systems they expected to sell and how much software too.

A stock price is not based upon current earnings, but future earnings so any change to the expectation changes the price a lot.

Example: You pay $65 a share for Nintendo stock. If you were buying for today's earnings only you would get $1-2 dollars per share. You would obviously be losing money. You pay $65 and get $2. You have to be paying for future earnings as well. $2 every year for a long time. Nintendo is also growing so they will make more than that next year. Everyone expects that they will. If everyone buying the stock expects that they will make $3 per share next year, they are willing to pay a certain price for it. If they only make $2.50 per share they are still making a lot of money but not as much as you expected. People are not willing to pay as much for the shares. So the share price has to come down to reflect this difference. This is why expectations are so important.

I was hoping someone would come along and explain the way stocks work.

To put it another way, a company's stock price is the combined total of the present value of all future revenues, which includes expected increases/decreases in stock price and dividends. If expectations of future revenues are not met, the price falls because people are not willing to pay as much money for each unit of stock. If expecations are exceeded, the stock price goes up because people are willing to pay more for each unit of stock.

Jokeropia

Stumpokapow said:
Like Shiggy said, 240k. The number is still the same in the new document, so the extra 300k were for the west. (Probably mostly Europe.)

dyls

Kirby listed as a 2008 title for Wii! (in Japan)

I guess we can put to bed any rumors about it having been canceled.

rage1973

Anybody know the earnings per share in dollars for this quarter. I am trying to do some basic calculations for the stocks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
woohoo to Twilight Princess kicking Phantom Hourglasses ass.

Not that PH is a poor game by any means, I just remember hearing over and over again from people that PH was like the 'true zelda innovator' and was the 1 game that was going to be super successful and revitalize the series and blah blah TP was a commercial failure and all that jazz...

go argue with 5.62MM. Try.

Edit:

Also, +1 for Harker again regarding MPC3 sales.
Fantastic game, but I told you, that one is a commercial disappointment.

Jammy

Banned
AniHawk said:
Awesome! Thanks.

DS:

Wii:

!!!

Those are some monster software sales. Good for Nintendo. They haven't had this kind of success in a LONG time.

John Harker said:
woohoo to Twilight Princess kicking Phantom Hourglasses ass.

Not that PH is a poor game by any means, I just remember hearing over and over again from people that PH was like the 'true zelda innovator' and was the 1 game that was going to be super successful and revitalize the series and blah blah TP was a commercial failure and all that jazz...

go argue with 5.62MM. Try.

Edit:

PH did revitalize the series for Japan, outside of that it's not surprising to see TP to be more appealing.

Jammy

Banned
BishopLamont said:
PH did revitalize the series for Japan, outside of that it's not surprising to see TP to be more appealing.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass also brought back a lot more attention to handhelds when it came to the series. I don't recall The Minish Cap having anywhere near these numbers, and I don't recall any numbers at all for the Oracle games.

Christine

The cash flows are interesting. I haven't looked at it historically, but for this period they sourced cash from investment activities to the tune of $2.4 billion. Maybe they will actually spend some of it - it's almost as if they don't want to wait for 2007's income to move through the accounts receivable.

Penguin

dyls said:
Kirby listed as a 2008 title for Wii! (in Japan)

I guess we can put to bed any rumors about it having been canceled.

On the same hand, we also got confirmation of Animal Crossing in 08 (At least for Japan)

Chumly

Stumpokapow said:

The only place that strikers was overshipped was Japan. Nintendo obviously botched that. However in the US/Europe it was clearly not overshipped and Nintendo shipped an additional 300k to those territories.

Its probably close to 1.3-1.4 million sell-though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Cheesemeister said:
DS hardware at 64.79 million worldwide LTD (compare with GBA at 80.72 million)
20.18 million in North/South America
21.66 million in Japan
22.94 million elsewhere

Wii hardware at 20.13 million worldwide LTD (compare with NGC at 21.72 million)
8.85 million in North/South America
4.99 million in Japan
6.30 million elsewhere

I said wow.

DS: The DS sold 64.79 million consoles in around 3 full years (it was released in the USA in Fall 2004, later in Japan and Europe). We also see in the sales trends that it is picking up huge momentum in Europe and the USA, while the Japanese sales will decrease (maybe not if DQ9 sells insanely well). When all is said and done the DS will become the highest selling console EVER. I could see the console easily doing 150-200 million. You heard me, the DS may have a chance of being the first console ever to break the 200 million mark.

Wii: The wii is insanely successful, the console is selling insanely well in Europe and Japan, the two territories that the Gamecube did bad at. North America on the other hand seems to be the strongest Nintendo market, just like last generation and the generation before that. The best part is that this is only year one and the console has many more years of life. I could foresee the Wii hitting the 100 million mark when all is said and done. The third parties should see these numbers and start putting the better development teams on Wii exclusives, or they will be in a world of hurt.

Jokeropia

John Harker said:
Passing MP2 is a lock, crawling past MP1 (to become the best selling in the entire franchise) a possibility. What were you expecting?

AniHawk

TwinIonEngines said:
Where/when was SML bundled?

Maybe in 1993? I remember Nintendo bundled Link's Awakening with the Brick back then for a short time.

Jokeropia said:
Passing MP2 is a lock, crawling past MP1 (to become the best selling in the entire franchise) a possibility. What were you expecting?

Metroid Prime is somewhere up near 3m. Nothing's impossible, but that looks like a pretty tough goal to reach.

DS may have a chance of being the first console ever to break the 200 million mark.

...Yeah, I don't see it. Besting the PS2? Not that unexpected. We're talking about a goal that's 'only" 70m-80m (2-3 years) away. Hitting 200m would mean the system hits 30m in Japan, 80m in NA, and 90m in Europe... or something equally crazy. I just don't see it.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Hcoregamer00 said:
I said wow.

DS: The best part is that this is only year one and the console has many more years of life.

Didn't you hear? Once it hits the Gamecube's LTD it's pretty much over. Should be any day now...

Jokeropia

AniHawk said:
Metroid Prime is somewhere up near 3m. Nothing's impossible, but that looks like a pretty tough goal to reach.
Kelbaugh mentioned it selling "over 2 million" in an interview back in November, so it likely hasn't reached 3. With an eventual Player's Choice release, I think it's possible for MP3 to match the original.

Top Bottom