• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-Age: NTDOY Q4 earnings report

Dalthien

AniHawk said:
Well it sold about 1.4-1.5m in the States. I was pretty sure the 3m number was for worldwide shipments.
I don't have any actual numbers on hand, but I'd be surprised if it got much higher than 2 million worldwide. Europe was a very weak market for the Cube, and I wouldn't expect much more than 500k for Prime in Europe. Remember that a huge chunk of Prime's sales in the US were as a budget Player's Choice title, and I suspect that Europe missed out on most of those sales, and the original full-priced release would have also sold considerably worse in Europe than in the US.

AniHawk

Dalthien said:
Remember that a huge chunk of Prime's sales in the US were as a budget Player's Choice title, and I suspect that Europe missed out on most of those sales, and the original full-priced release would have also sold considerably worse in Europe than in the US.

Don't forget that the game was also bundled with the Gamecube.

And I know for a fact it was over 1.3m in the States before midyear 2005 without the bundle sales.

Jokeropia

You don't happen to have any software shipment documents from back then, do you? It's not that I'm doubting you, I just wasn't paying close attention to Nintendo's earnings releases at the time.

dyls

You know what the only big problem is with these software sales? Now we'll never see Greatest Hits editions. Why drop the price on a game that continues to sell well past the million mark?

Dalthien

AniHawk said:
Don't forget that the game was also bundled with the Gamecube.

And I know for a fact it was over 1.3m in the States before midyear 2005 without the bundle sales.

Yeah - I don't have any idea how many Prime bundles there were.

But I just checked through the UK ChartTrack sales award list that just came out, and Metroid Prime didn't even make the Silver list (100k). So it didn't even sell 100k LTD in the UK, which means it is probably a fair bit less than 500k across Europe. For comparison, Zelda: Wind Waker and Smash Bros. both only finished between 100k - 200k in the UK. The gamecube was just really, really weak in Europe.

AniHawk

Sorry guys. Looks like I'm getting forgetful in my old age. The 3m number was apparently for Metroid, and everything else came from good ol' Broshnat (woops).

Christine

dyls said:
You know what the only big problem is with these software sales? Now we'll never see Greatest Hits editions. Why drop the price on a game that continues to sell well past the million mark?

Iwata was saying that this problem was his meal ticket years ago, but no-one listened.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shiggy said:
Mybe I didn't understand you correctly, but there were only 240.000 units shipped to Japan. Now it has sold 105k over there. So there are only 135.000 units at most unsold - that still is a lot. But how do you get your 150-200k number?

I thought the number was 250k-300k, and I had rounded 105k to 100k, giving me 150-200. It ended up being 240k, so you're right; there are a mere 135,000 units floating around the Japanese channel (IE the game is at 43% sellthrough and basically done selling)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I saw a really cool guy post this somewhere so I decided to share it here without giving him any credit.

Code:
LTD Region Breakdown

Title                                   Total Japan Overseas
Wii Sports                               1785   270     1515
Wii Play (Wii Remote bundled)             923   222      701
Super Mario Galaxy                        519    84      435
Mario Party 8                             435   118      317
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess    430    56      374 (Japan = 0 since 3/31/07)
Super Paper Mario                         216    50      166
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree             200    38      162
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves                  169    72       97 (<million shipped since 3/31/07)
Mario Strikers Charged                    165    24      141
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption                114     -      114
Link's Crossbow Training                  107     -      107
(packaged with Wii Zapper)
Wii Fit                                   105   105        -
Wario Ware should be higher but Nintendo only lists titles that have shipped more than a million copies in the last 9 months. We'll hopefully see it above that mark by the end of the fiscal year.

donny2112

Fuzzy said:
I saw a really cool guy post this somewhere so I decided to share it here without giving him any credit.

Was he a really cool Canadian? Either way, it's pretty rude to post his laboriously hard work without giving credit. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass also brought back a lot more attention to handhelds when it came to the series. I don't recall The Minish Cap having anywhere near these numbers, and I don't recall any numbers at all for the Oracle games.

Oracles games totaled around 4 million I think

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Awesome! Thanks.

DS:

Nintendogs: 17.79m
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 14.17m
New Super Mario Bros. 13.14m
Brain Age: 11.71m
Brain Age 2: 9.84m
Mario Kart DS: 9.67m
Animal Crossing Wild World: 9.2m
Super Mario 64 DS: 5.78m
Big Brain Academy: 4.61m
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass: 3.82m
Mario Party DS: 2.67m
Pokemon Ranger: 2.61m
Flash Focus: 2.11m
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Time/Darkness: 1.54m

Wii:

Wii Sports: 17.85m
Wii Play: 9.23m
Super Mario Galaxy: 5.19m
Mario Party 8: 4.35m
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 4.3m
Super Paper Mario: 2.16m
Big Brain Academy Wii Degree: 2m
Mario Strikers Charged: 1.65m
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption: 1.14m
Link's Crossbow Training: 1.07m
Wii Fit: 1.05m

Supposedly, 1m copies of TP for the GC have been sold overall, bringing its total sales over 5m.

Excellent. Thanks and CubeRev. too.

Nearly all those numbers seem to be in line except PH. Way too high, unless you actually think it sold around 2.5 million in Europe.

AniHawk said:
I just wanted to know right around where TMC and TWW wound up. I don't remember getting any official numbers for final resting places.

Dunno how much this'll help, but..

As of May 2006, WW had 2.1 million units in the U.S., and ~700k in Japan. Dunno about Europe.

As of May 2006 MC had almost 700k for U.S. Dunno about the other two.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
Was he a really cool Canadian? Either way, it's pretty rude to post his laboriously hard work without giving credit. :(
Screw him with his stupid jokes that nobody laughs at.

Oblivion said:
I believe it was 3 million, actually.
From GDC 2004.

ZeldaGDC2004.jpg

3.96 million combined.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Fuzzy said:
From GDC 2004.

3.96 million combined.

Wonderful! I was looking for that picture. And I stand corrected. Thanks, Fuzzy.

Edit: Kinda funny how LttP earned all that extra praise and adulation over Zelda 2, yet didn't sell too much more than it.

Also, I guess one could say that LA is technically the best selling 2D Zelda.

[Nintex]

Oblivion said:
Excellent. Thanks and CubeRev. too.
Nearly all those numbers seem to be in line except PH. Way too high, unless you actually think it sold around 2.5 million in Europe.
It was the only big European DS release next to Mario Party I think.

Top Bottom