• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales For Insomniac Games - PSX Spyro: 11.9M, PS2 R&C: 13.8M, Fuse: 317K, Sunset Overdrive: 1.9M, PS4 R&C: 5.7M, Miles: 10M, R&C PS5: 2.2M and More

H6Wmzjw.png

Kmzm2T9.jpeg

From the leaks:
  • i20 - Spider-Man 1 PS4
  • i21 - Edge of Nowhere
  • i23 - Song of the Deep
  • i29 - Ratchet and Clank RF
  • i30 - Spider-Man 2 Codename Popsicle and/or Spider-Man Remastered
  • i31 - Spider-Man MM
  • i32 - Scrapped Spider man Online Standalone Title (Likely Spider-Man The Great Web)
  • i33 - Wolverine
  • i34 - Spider-Man 3
  • i35 - X-men
  • i36 - New IP
  • i37 - Ratchet and Clank Spinoffs

Last edited:
From the leaks:
  • i20 - Spider-Man 1 PS4
  • i21 - Edge of Nowhere
  • i23 - Song of the Deep
  • i29 - Ratchet and Clank RF
  • i30 - Spider-Man 2 Codename Popsicle and/or Spider-Man Remastered
  • i31 - Spider-Man MM
  • i32 - Scrapped Spider man Online Standalone Title (Likely Spider-Man The Great Web)
  • i33 - Wolverine
  • i34 - Spider-Man 3
  • i35 - X-men
  • i36 - New IP
  • i37 - Ratchet and Clank Spinoffs

Robb

Gold Member
Maybe I missed it but does the info have a date? Is this as recent as 2023 or is it older information?

Mr Moose

Spider-Man PS4 sold over 20 million by the end of 2020. What does net units mean? It can't be sales.
Spider-Man MM cost twice as much to make as OG?

Last edited:

Mowcno

The part about Sunset Overdrive selling 1.9M units and netting Insomniac $567 dollars in royalty fees is pretty insane.
I'm guessing MS covered the dev cost and then Insomniac would only start receiving money after a certain amount of sales were recouped and it didn't sell enough for Insomniac to profit from it.

But now we can see why Insomniac is going all-in on Marvel. Even their best selling games before Spider-Man topped out at around 4m sales. Spiderman sold over 20m just in it's first 2 years on PS4.

I'm getting a bit confused with all these acronyms:

R1 (Resistance 1)
RCF (Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction)
R2 (Resistance 2)
RCF2 (Ratchet & Clank Future 2: Crack in Time)
RCC (Ratchet & Clank Collection)
R3 (Resistance 3)
RCF3 (Ratchet & Clank Future 3? All4One????)
FFA (Ratchet Full Frontal Assault)
Q4B (Ratchet Quest 4 Booty)
RCN (Ratchet Nexus)

But if that's right then All4One almost sold as much as Crack in Time? That's a travesty.

Last edited:
the last table looks like bad news for R&C? 2.2M sales for an 8M loss. Woof. Doubt we'll see another title any time soon.

Also SM Remaster cost $39M ? Were they smoking cigars made of money at dev meetings?
The next R&C is on the timeline from the leak actually.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
the last table looks like bad news for R&C? 2.2M sales for an 8M loss. Woof. Doubt we'll see another title any time soon.

Also SM Remaster cost $39M ? Were they smoking cigars made of money at dev meetings?
They are making another one in 2028 according to their roadmap

Mowcno

The second slide has a lot of questionable numbers and we don't know when it was made. I have a feeling the second slide could be estimates from an early date. At the time the slide was made they thought Wolverine would be after Spider-Man 3 but other slides contradict this, they also have Spider-Man 2 estimated to sell just 10.5m when the first game sold 20m on PS4 in 2 years. So I'm not convinced that the bottom slide is very relevant in 2023 there's quite a few areas where the numbers look questionable to say the least. Sony were estimating $52m in Revenue from 1.5m sales just from the PC release of Spider-Man Remastered. These numbers state $50m Revenue for 4 million sales.

mwiwfip.png

My hunch is that the bottom slide is from 2019 close to the Sony acquisition date and these rough estimates for future titles were given. It's not unusual that they would have already planned Spiderman 3/Wolverine in 2019, after all other parts of the leak show a New IP scheduled for 2031, these things are planned a long time in advance. But if there's any info that can definitively date those slides it would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Even existing IP aren't doin well. Rift Apart losing money is really upsetting.
I'm not surprised at all. R&C was always a budget series. PS3 games were coming out brand new for $40. Then they decided to make this game one of the very first $70 games ever from any company.

If you want to be a bit charitable, PS5s were very hard to get also. Returnal and Demon's Souls also bombed.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Stop making ratchet games ffs. Spiderman sells literally 10-15x more. It is a waste of money and especially precious development time.

Mowcno

As the second slide includes forecasts (Spider-Man 3, Wolverine sales) yet doesn't specify which numbers are forecasts with an asterisk or anything I would lean towards this being an old slide and every number on that table being a forecast/estimate. They would not be mixing forecast numbers and results numbers like that with no distinction.

They released RCRA at a bad time, no one had a PS5 and obviously it was targeted toward kids. It's a shame, I actually really enjoyed the game. It wasn't going to be a killer app title though.

Blindy

Stop making ratchet games ffs. Spiderman sells literally 10-15x more. It is a waste of money and especially precious development time.
I'd much rather play something like that on the system than the ____ open world collect-a-thon that most of these Sony 1st party games fall into. I'll take platformers anyway I can take it. Just sucks the current PS consumer only wants the big blockbuster titles(GOW/Horizon/Last of Us/UC) and won't give anything else a try.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You can see why they sold to Sony. This company wasn't making any money outside of the Sony owned/licensed IPs. Also, we now know why they are a Marvel factory.

Well their original IPs bombed, and Spider-Man was such a huge hit. From that point on it made sense for them to follow their success. Their style was always going to be a great match for comic book games. Ratchet is a super hero…

So what if they are a marvel “factory?” It’s not like Wolverine and Spider-Man will play the same. And aside from Batman and Spider-Man, it’s not like we are used to comic book games being either really good or really successful.

You think it’s a criticism, I think it’s great they are going down this path.

Last edited:

We've literally had 2 R&C games this past decade (2016 reboot and Rift Apart) since Into the Nexus released back in 2013. Hardly wasting time & money when we've had 3 Spiderman games, and remasters to go with 2 of them, in half the time.

Point one, R&C Playstation 5 came out short after the PS5 was hitting the streets and you could almost not buy one cous Sony could not produce enough and scalpers where buying them on mass.
Point two, these are old numbers they will be much higer now.
Point three, Insomniac is working on a new R&C😉

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Point one, R&C Playstation 5 came out short after the PS5 was hitting the streets and you could almost not buy one cous Sony could not produce enough and scalpers where buying them on mass.
Point two, these are old numbers they will be much higer now.
Point three, Insomniac is working on a new R&C😉

Thank GOD for the bolded.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ratchet is fun but they are too cookie cutter.

I liked the PS5 one but I played through PS+ because I just couldn’t convince myself to buy it. And while fun and well made, I have to agree that it didn’t do anything memorable aside from how advanced the visuals were at times and how impressive the whole changing places on the drop of a dime looked from a tech standpoint.

It’s very low stakes. Hopefully they figure out a way to use the universe they created in more memorable ways.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So it looks like going by the chart of royalties of net sales, the VR games at the top are all over the place, Sony games are around 24% (give or take a bit), and third party games at the bottom are none as they go it alone.

i20 game at the top is Spiderman 2018 though is only 15%.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Fuse almost bankrupted them. You can see why they sold to Sony. Smart move and a good deal for both parties.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Royalty rates and payout look weird. If IG Payout is supposed to be royalty rate x Net Sales, something is wrong or the formula is more complicated than it logically shows in the chart.

Top Bottom