• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales For Insomniac Games - PSX Spyro: 11.9M, PS2 R&C: 13.8M, Fuse: 317K, Sunset Overdrive: 1.9M, PS4 R&C: 5.7M, Miles: 10M, R&C PS5: 2.2M and More

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The budgets skyroceted. i20 game (Spiderman 1) had about $90M of dev costs. That doesn't include marketing I'd assume, but compared to SM2 and SM3 their total costs are est. at over $300M. SM3 is $385M. If marketing is a key variable difference, there is no way marketing costs would be around $250-300M difference.

Crayon

This whole peek behind the curtain is making me think of their efforts to find and cozy up to Chinese studios. Cheaper, more malleable.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Your absolutely right. Starfield was a flop.

Cant have new ips if every game is a sequel...

Think Season 2 GIF by NBC

DarthPutin

Stop making fun, focused games, and churn out Ubisoft derivative trash but with a superhero coating instead?
In real world, people love AssCreed games. The latest big one set records. New smaller one sold extremely well. It's other Ubi efforts that might struggle. Vox populi and all that.

Anyway, I don't see Insomniacs as some kind of auteurs forced to abandon high art. Even RC looks like something Disney could put their stamp on. It's all extremely well done, but rather pop!, a bit generic, Marvelesque. Sunset Overdrive looked like ugly kitsch. This isn't Kojima, let alone Team Ico. I think they are uniquely suited to producing well-done, professional, Hollywood blockbusters inspired by other's IPs.

Mr Hyde

Sunset Overdrive should've sold much more. Really fun shooter with awesome gameplay and traversal mechanics.

yurinka

Weird to think that Sunset Overdrive was a bigger success than Rift Apart.
Not the case.

As far as we know, Rift Apart sold 2.72M as of 2021-2022 in PS, plus whatever they sold until now both there and in PC.

Sunset Overdrive instead sold only 1.9M.

The budgets skyroceted. i20 game (Spiderman 1) had about $90M of dev costs. That doesn't include marketing I'd assume, but compared to SM2 and SM3 their total costs are est. at over $300M. SM3 is $385M. If marketing is a key variable difference, there is no way marketing costs would be around $250-300M difference.
In AAA games the marketing and development budgets are pretty similar. So Spider-Man 1 pretty likely had close to around $200M of total budget.

Each next gen means higher AAA budgets. So yes, to go $300-400M or more this gen fits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom