• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam Harris Whitewashes ‘The Bell Curve’ During Interview With Charles Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
He almost had me. He almost fucking had me, I almost thought this was a discussion between two ignoramuses. But nope, couldn't quite make it

FyreWulff

The Bell Curve is what happens when someone realizes they're racist, but tries to come up with some retcon lore to justify their racism instead of admitting they were ever a racist.

And now he's linking dropout rates among blacks in college to affirmative action? Boy this went from "misguided" to "really racist" really super fast. There couldn't possibly be reasons why black students drop out of MIT at high rates other than them being dumber than their peers

EDIT: "If you're in the top 4% and the rest of your class is in the top 2% you're the dumbest kid in class" okay so wait all that stuff you were saying about how these statistics don't really matter is bullshit? You're now saying that actually blacks are a bit dumber?
That's pretty much the whole podcast. It's full of circular logic. I honestly thought I was maybe hearing it wrong at first.

JordanN

Banned
The Bell Curve stuff is a good example of how much racists hate black people because they don't care that white people arent at the top as long as black people are at the bottom.

A good time to bring up this quote.

7M6Ka18.jpg

Society can only benefit when all races are brought to the same level of equality. The opposite has never happened.

The Confederate States (slavery) or Nazi Germany (aryan supremacy) where all massive failures. The USA and modern day Germany are far bigger successes than any racist state.

Fhtagn

Charles Murray's work has been thoroughly discredited (both in his conclusions and in his methodology) in academic circles for decades now. Inviting him on your show makes you at best a chump, at worst actively racist.

FyreWulff

This is the same weaponization of science that used phrenology and other BS science to do stuff like ban women from being in marathons because they said the uterus would fall out if they tried to run. To the point that people tried to use physical violence to prevent women from running. It was that "accepted" as "sound science".

54ca9e6ad3ab3.image.jpg

And of course the actual root fear was not that the woman would come to harm but that she wouldn't be able to make babies for men anymore or *gasp* even beat them in the race*

Air

Banned
Harris is one of those dudes (like bill Maher) whom I never got the appeal of. Always seemed like he had a tendency to be on the worst parts of an argument.

The Technomancer

What the hell is Harris talking about? How can we achieve a race-less future when the entire premise of this podcast is the existence of racial IQ differences?

Now they get to circle jerk about identity politics

SkyOdin

Wait what... what does this mean?

Let's use this example.

A white person and a black person have a child. What race is that child?

A lot of people will say "black". In fact, that used to be law.

Now, let's go further: that child grows up and marries a white person. What race are their children? The law used to be that those children were still considered "black". To be precise, the law in the US used to be that someone was considered "black" if even 1/32 of their heritage was African (if I remember correctly).

That sort of definition is common in discussions of race, but clearly has no basis at all in genetics. That second generation child of mixed heritage already mostly has "white" genetics. But definitions of race are not made based on genetic testing. They are based on superficial features such as shades of skin color.

Complicating attempts to link race and genetics is the fact that categorizations of race often clump together people of widely varying ethnicity and background. For example, the category of "Asian" is problematic, since it links together some wildly different ethnicities into a category that implies a common ancestry that doesn't really exist. These places are lumped together in a way that completely ignores the realities of how these groups of people actually relate to each other.

FiggyCal

Banned
You're missing the nuance.

Race is a social construct but like all social construct it has real world effects.

Money's just paper but you'd still be mad if I emptied your bank out.

Yeah. It's kind of like how the language of English is a social construct, but kind of significant.

Sadsic

You're missing the nuance.

Race is a social construct but like all social construct it has real world effects.

Money's just paper but you'd still be mad if I emptied your bank out.

so then if a social construct has real world effects couldnt it affect intelligence? seems like people want to have it both ways with this concept

Armaros

so then if a social construct has real world effects couldnt it affect intelligence? seems like people want to have it both ways with this concept

... you think The Bell Curve is arguing that these social constructs and society are what is affecting intelligence scores?

The Bell Curve stuff is a good example of how much racists hate black people because they don't care that white people arent at the top as long as black people are at the bottom.
This is exactly true. White supremacy is a bad name for the actual belief in practice. Racists think of white people as *normal* and black people as *inferior*. That's why Murray's validation are so powerful with them.

FiggyCal

Banned

I don't see how you get: "black people are inferior" from "race is a thing that has real world effects". It seems that there's at least one premise missing.

Edit: to be clear, not you in particular. Just in general.

I plan on listening to the full podcast not read an article that interprets context for me. I'm just very familiar with how Harris ends up in these positions sometimes. The guy isn't malicious in the least.

The point went over your head. It doesn't matter what he said, if it challenges something sensitive there will be outrage all the way to the first reply in the thread. The guy doesn't shout from an ivory tower dictating things... he has conversations.

I know you're using that as a metaphor, but some people want to read everything, even the garbage. Insulating yourself against all those who don't doesn't align with you is how we ended up with Trump as president. Dismissing all viewpoints because you don't like the bodies that contain them is the same.

There's nothing intellectual about white supremacy... it's an inferiority complex. I know very little about the bell curves overall argument(ethnicity vs ethnicity?), but I would not be surprised if intelligence was treated genetically just like appearance or risk of disease. I do not see why skin color would correlate with intelligence, so I'd have to listen to the podcast to see if Sam is saying white people are smarter than black people.

Not everything needs to be challenged, not even you believe that.

As a neuroscientist any pop depictions of intelligence are cringe inducing because it's basically all conjecture. Intelligence is such a vague concept scientifically speaking.

One thing of note is that chronic stress and discrimination like say from racism and poverty will do damage to your brain much like solitary confinement. There's really no way to unconfound IQ tests from these effects and it's highly unlikely that there are significant differences between the vast majority of ethnic groups with ashkenazi Jews as a big exception due to the founder effect which comes with fun stuff like tay Sachs.

Murray seemed disingenuous as fuck when challenged by Sam on why anyone would even want to study this topic. I really didn't like the guy, and it sucks that Sam felt like he needed to have this guy on. And praise him so much.

I like Sam a lot, but this episode was a major blunder.

AJLma

She's Dominican and has almost pure spanish/taino.

Taino is an indigenous tribe of the dominican republic who have people who look like -
stock-photo-santo-domingo-dominican-republic-march-unidentified-taino-man-original-caribbean-indigenous-194822741.jpg

What about this woman -

search

White or latino?

That dude is black too.

The white/latino picture isn't working.

Jombie

People don’t want to hear this. And they certainly don’t want to hear that average IQ differs across races and ethnic groups".

I hear people, much less educated than Harris, spout this shit pretty often. It's what they say when they just don't have the balls to confess that they hate black people. I know Sam Harris has been on his way to being a prototypical right wing bigot for awhile, but that's still pretty disappointing to read.

Lois_Lane

I don't know. Does the amount of money you have in your bank out tell me how intelligent you are? What about the brands you wear? How about the make and model of your car? All of these things have tangential connections to class and social status but if your boss wouldn't hire you because you drive a shitty taurus instead of a nice porsche you'd be pissed wouldn't you? What if your boss shows you shitty(continuously debunked) statistics that taurus owners are shifty eyed criminals so, of course he shouldn't hire you. Would you be okay with that then?

Lois_Lane

That dude is black too.

He's taino. His family hasn't touched africa since yours have. Calling him African-American would be a misnomer since he's latino/native american.

I can't post pics for some reason. Someone help me out here.

FyreWulff

And this is where the unrolling of the hay bale of institutionalized harm comes in. Minority communites have harder access to nutrition and good schools because the white people in power literally stole, razed, or just outright took money away. Black communities on the upswing are re-zoned as "blighted" and sold off to developers for pennies on the dollar, forcing them to mve to.. you guessed it, the next plot of cheaper less desirable land. Which has a low property tax. Schools are funded off property tax, so schools in low property tax areas are worse than higher tax because they have a harder time recruiting teachers or buying materials.

Once again, I'll use the example of the Tulsa Race Riot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Black Wall Street was burned and razed to the ground. The whites that did this then re-zoned Black Wall Street so the black community was legally blocked from rebuilding their own community.

Or the example of how drug use is only policed in minority neighborhoods and ignored in white ones because "otherwise you'd lose your overtime", directly from the mouth of a high ranking DEA officer, leading even more into the perceptual feedback loop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ImeWd5gFTo

Or how KKK groups were deputized and went around and took black citizen's guns in the name of "security" (read: the security of the status quo), because the 2nd only protects you when you're white.

Or how we stole a large chunk Asian-american business, land, and wealth during WW2 in the name of "security" (once again, of the white status quo). We sent black soldiers to training with wooden rifles because whites were more afraid of being "evened up" on even though those men volunteered to die for a country that had violated their personhood.

One just needs to ask yourself: does this thing this person is saying or arguing posit that white people or men are innately superior? If yes, then look at the bias of the tools and measures they are using. IQ is notorious for being more of a cultural test than an intelligence one, for example. Harris is just racism wrapped in the linen of very curated rhetoric and cherry picked science.

willy_2

Neo Member
She's Dominican and has almost pure spanish/taino.

Taino is an indigenous tribe of the dominican republic who have people who look like -
stock-photo-santo-domingo-dominican-republic-march-unidentified-taino-man-original-caribbean-indigenous-194822741.jpg

What about this girl -

search

White or latino?

that man clearly has recent african ancestry, which is not surprising since mixing was and is quite common in latin america.

AJLma

He's taino. His family hasn't touched africa since yours have. Calling him African-American would be a misnomer since he's latino/native american.

Is this boy white?

I didn't say he was African American. I said he was black. There are black latino and black native Americans.

None of your white pictures are working btw. Try saving and re-uploading them to imgur or something.

That dude is black too.

Do you understand that the US worldview about race is not the objective truth ?

These categories the West created are very limited and don't reflect the inherent diversity of the wide ethnical spectrum of the human race.

The Technomancer

I didn't say he was African American. I said he was black. There are black latino and black native Americans.

None of your white pictures are working btw. Try saving and re-uploading them to imgur or something.

What makes him black? Literally just skin tone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom