• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces Gear VR Powered by Oculus

DieH@rd

Banned
Yeah. It's not *as* good as DK2 but it's not a blurry damn mess like DK1.

1440p screen mitigates the screen door effect further than the DK2, which is great for movies.

Good VR Cinema app is one of the key reasons why I want to get my hands on VR headset.

Feep

Banned
Feep, what's the battery life like when used exclusively for VR? I can imagine it's not good, I'm just curious what the number is.
It's not, like, *good*, but it's comparable to running a higher end mobile game on current phones.

Freep, does this have an accessible usb port? Because, if so, positional tracking wont be a big problem :)
The dev kits, at least, did not. Concerns were cited about the very rare possibility of batteries exploding or whatever, though I'd imagine that could happen anyway?

Reallink

On the go VR sounds like a recipe for disaster. DK2 still makes a lot of people sick and has a lot of stuff going for it over this (positional and presumably more accurate/lower latency tracking, 75FPS low persistence). I don't want to imagine riding in the back seat of a car with a high res DK1 equivalent on my head. Better bring a bucket.

DieH@rd

Banned
Someone will hack a positional tracking support for this using another android phone that will stay in contact with Note4 using WiFi. :D

MADGAME

Marketing on this thing will be hilarious.

ahm5UZ8.jpg

A person smiling while wearing the VR headset, what is hilarious regarding that image? Maybe instead they should have a fat, poorly dressed bearded slob eating Doritos and Mountain Dew with a countenance expressing "Don't touch me you filthy casual".

I am so excited about this. Not the product itself, I dont have a samsung phone and cant get one for a year so whatever. It is how VR is going to explode on the market. It will be very weird at first but if we get some truly mindblowing experiences out of it we have the next big thing. If we can already do phone VR how soon will we have simple glasses and smaller devices that don't look like a helmet. This is exciting.

If a Samsung Note 4 off contract is $400 and the Gear VR is $100 or less, I'm in.

That is, if Apple doesn't blow it out of the water on 9/9.

at some point samsung is gonna need to control the software ecosystem for their devices. I wonder if they have a homebrewed VR OS in the works for future tizen integration.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
im sure that occulus have some kind of exclusive partnership with samsung since they supply the dk2 screens. and that kinda sucks because id like to get a google phone or project ara as my next, but i want a vr headset for it too.

mitchman

Gold Member
Is Bluetooth suitable for VR?

Latency is an extremely important aspect of a good VR experience.

Latency of the sensor to display must be low, but BT is fine for controller input. PS4 uses it and it's not an issue that is noticeable.

It would be pretty interesting to see how someone reacts to a phone call while wearing the device.

I expect that the phone call process will not pre-empt the game so it won't be allowed to run (and hence make a sound or anything).

Compsiox

Banned
Pretty good for mobile but seems like a gimmick as of right now. Hopeful for the future. VR for PC on the other hand...

Wise move from Oculus.

PC + Oculus = High end, true VR experience

Note4 + GearVR = Mid end, entry hardware and experience (everyone with a note4 will be a step (steepy step actually) from VR, so why not try it ?)

And they also bring Samsung (all the hardware they will ever need) bellow their wings.

And Facebook laughing from the darkness.

Gangxxter

I'm interested in how much a 1440p display helps with the screen door effect, are pixels still visible at 1440p?

Also, I don't get it, the screen is only 60Hz, yet it supports low-persistence. How does this work?
The culmination of that work is Gear VR Innovator Edition, an add-on to the new Samsung Galaxy Note 4, using the phone’s GPU/CPU to power the device and the Quad HD low-persistence 5.7 inch 1440p AMOLED screen as the display.
Source: http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/

fred

it's not really a megaton, oculus has said for a long time (like years) that standalone android devics are coming. This even leaked with pictures a few weeks back.

There was also a guy a while back that was working on a headset made out of cardboard if I remember correctly.

I'm interested in how much a 1440p display helps with the screen door effect, are pixels still visible at 1440p?

Also, I don't get it, the screen is only 60Hz, yet it supports low-persistence. How does this work?

Source: http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/introducing-the-samsung-gear-vr-innovator-edition/

From http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Launching-on-Gear-VR/c24e2/C08809D4-176B-423D-90AC-8BD8EEFF9426

Resolution

The Note 4 has a resolution of 2560x1440, a bump up from the 1080p resolution of the Oculus Rift DK2. It’s a big improvement, although it’s not as noticeable a difference as the jump from the DK1 to the DK2. You can still see pixels if you try, and more distant objects still seem a little blurry. Still, it’s the best resolution I’ve ever experienced in VR, and it’s extremely useful for games that contain a lot of text or graphical detail.

So im pretty sure we really need 4k.

Nvidia was right all the time !

DieH@rd

Banned

Just a theory but I think that:
- DK2 strobs short burts at 1080p at 75hz [I think they mentioned somewhere that is 3ms per frame].
- GearVR strobs longer bursts at 1440p at 60hz. With longer bursts, bad visual effects of strobing are eliminated, blur is reduced, but not as much as with DK2.
- Very small chance, but maybe they are doing same thing as Sony - taking 60hz rendering and interpolating it into 120hz very low persistence video stream.

Description of Feep said that blur is little worse than with DK2. That would point that frames are showed for a longer period of time.

Bsigg12

Gangxxter

From http://www.darknetgame.com/#!Launching-on-Gear-VR/c24e2/C08809D4-176B-423D-90AC-8BD8EEFF9426

So im pretty sure we really need 4k.

Nvidia was right all the time !
Thanks for the article, very interesting. From the article I get that we don't need 4k necessarily for the Rift CV1, I think 1440p will be good enough.

Just a theory but I think that:
- DK2 strobs short burts at 1080p at 75hz.
- GearVR strobs longer bursts at 1440p at 60hz. With longer bursts, visual effects of strobing are eliminated, blur is reduced, but not as much as with DK2.
- Small chance, but maybe they are doing same thing as Sony - taking 60hz rendering and interpolating it into 120hz very low persistence video stream.
Makes sense. From the article by the Darknet developer it seems 60Hz is also enough for low-persistence to work. I thought 75Hz was the bare minimum refresh rate for low-persistence.

d0g_bear

The rumors from last month suggested that the exclusivity agreement with samsung is timed, and that all android manufacturers will get in on the action eventually. Probably not in time for 2014 nexus though :(

Zones

Well you're wrong, is all. I am fairly open minded about things, its you who seems to have their mind made up based on what 'Engadget said' or whatever. And yes, please show me examples that prove Samsung is not interested in advancing VR. I await a bunch of irrelevant and unrelated 'sources' about things outside the sphere of VR that dont prove anything.

We know this isn't a consumer-ready product. Oculus made that quite clear.

And Oculus have relied on Samsung to deliver displays for them. The DK2 has a Note 3 display, while the CV1 is highly likely to have this Note 4 display(but with 90hz+ refresh rate). Working with them to help get a mobile VR headset out in exchange for the custom Note 4 displays is win-win-win for everybody. It is not them 'selling out'.

I'm sure Samsung do want to beat 'the competition' to market, but do realize who 'the competition' are. Its not the Oculus Rift, nor Sony's Morpheus. Its anybody else who wants to do mobile VR. And beating the competition to market isn't even that crucial when they've got Oculus themselves working hard on mobile VR integration. That gives them the edge no matter what.
You know, I have learnt not to get to deep into arguing on the net, as it usually leads to nowhere, but I don't want to let this one pass.

Let me tell you something, if a reputable source (such as WSJ, FT, NYT, Engadget, etc.) leaks something, they are usually telling the whole story. So when Engadget pretty much accurately leaked every single detail about Gear VR through multiple articles, it means the information they provided was mostly accurate.

And I would say the following quote: "the urgency is said to be a measure of beating Facebook's Oculus Rift and Sony's Project Morpheus to market." from Engadget is straight forward and it doesn't mean the competitors are some non-existent mobile VR products like you implied above.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/22/samsung-vr-headset/

I would still give Samsung the benefit of the doubt, of course, but we are talking about a company in which they feel quite insecure and release a product the moment there's a rumor that some big company is about to enter that area. The obvious example is the SmartWatch rumor by Apple and how they created a rushed product to beat them to the market, and since then they have reiterated on SmartWatches in a clueless manner a few times already, in a matter of a single year only!

Of course, the more interesting example of beating others to the competition was their Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 after it was rumored that Apple was working on one with a pen support. Look at this Note 12.2 commercial and tell me this is not an insecure company here just trying to cash in the VR hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f16D0RSbzUw

Just to be clear, in my previous post, I only said I can provide example of the fact that Samsung is notorious of having an R&D division that hinges on new potentially big products from others in order to beat others to the competition and take the position of a ‘market pioneer and innovators’. And I guess you just need a bit of conjecture to realize that the Engadget comment is more than likely true, and you calling me wrong is the only baseless argument here.

Oh well, but I am sure potentially getting an exclusive right to purchase Samsung’s AMOLED panel for VR in order to hamper competition, and a whole 12 cents less per panel for Oculus VR is more than worth it for them to go against what they said they were standing for.

Exciting news. I wonder if we'll see other mobile manufacturers announce similar products soon?

I do hope that we see an end to the 'PC is the only route to VR' tone that seems to manifest in most threads discussing Rift and Morpheus; solutions which lower the cost and expose VR to a broader market have to be a good thing.

DieH@rd

Banned
Makes sense. From the article by the Darknet developer it seems 60Hz is also enough for low-persistence to work. I thought 75Hz was the bare minimum refresh rate for low-persistence.

Well... Oculus is using low persistence to eliminate blur. Gear VR is also using it... but less efficiently.

Oculus or Abrash never said that there exists any "minimum". He only talked about it in terms of achieving "presence", which is something Gear VR is not aiming to achieve [no possition tracking]. Samsung aims for great immersion and maybe sense of presence in specific use case scenarios [VR cinema app where user is very stationary for long periods of time and there is no need for positional tracking].

PGamer

fucking juniors
Soooooooooooooo, this finally happened.

I've been working closely with Oculus and Samsung for the past few months, developing for the Gear VR. I've made a game called Lunasee, which I'll take the liberty of copy-pasting from my press release here:

I think it's pretty rad, to be honest. I'll be happy to answer any questions anymore might have, and I may even make a thread about the Gear VR, but it'll have to wait a tiny bit, I have some stuff to take care of this morning. = D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hey Feep, if you're allowed to talk about this, when you mention developing for the Gear VR do you mean that these games will be exclusive to the Gear VR platform or should they also theoretically work on other Android devices using the Oculus mobile SDK? Also do you have plans to develop cross platform (ie. mobile version for Gear VR and desktop version for Oculus Rift) or is this game going to be mobile only?

Again, whatever pushes VR experience further for Oculus, I'm all for it. Since I won't have my hands on anything for a while, I'll just have to hang back and let this all play out.

Pretty much this. This is more of a good news for Oculus than Samsung.

I don't know, Samsung gets to jump aboard the VR train without having to sink a lot of money into R&D. The Oculus team will do all the work for them. Samsung gets something out of this too.

I don't know, Samsung gets to jump aboard the VR train without having to sink a lot of money into R&D. The Oculus team will do all the work for them. Samsung gets something out of this too.

Samsung is just getting another channel to sell screens if this thing takes off. If they want to maintain their recent pace of growth they need to eventually control a software platform - which is where the real money is at. Oculus is definitely getting the better end of the deal in this partnership.

Feep

Banned
Hey Feep, if you're allowed to talk about this, when you mention developing for the Gear VR do you mean that these games will be exclusive to the Gear VR platform or should they also theoretically work on other Android devices using the Oculus mobile SDK? Also do you have plans to develop cross platform (ie. mobile version for Gear VR and desktop version for Oculus Rift) or is this game going to be mobile only?
I can build it out to anything that uses the Oculus SDKs. Obviously the Note 4 is exclusive at the moment, but it won't stay that way.

Bsigg12

Heh. Looks worse than DOA3 at the launch of the original Xbox.

It might not look all that great but it's at least being pushed by a major company in Samsung which ultimately helps Oculus. If people get into this and then the Rift comes out and shows the superior way to experience VR, it could lead to more adoption from audiences outside the core. The more companies that can offer at least decent, affordable VR, the faster we'll get to an overall better position for it.

Top Bottom