• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung announces Gear VR Powered by Oculus

I've not tried Ocean Rift for a while, but I don't remember it looking this detailed on DK2... did you add more plant life? Looks great anyway!
I've been working with iterations of the Gear VR hardware for 6+ months on a mobile version of Ocean Rift. I've split it up into habitats (some of which are larger than the DK1/2 demo), so it's a bit different to what I plan for the consumer Oculus Rift which will probably be completely open world. The envionment for this version's completely new.

welp, regardless of how crap it looks, i'm grabbing one and a note4 when it hits. at least my phone company will subsidise the phone XD

yogloo

I've been working with iterations of the Gear VR hardware for 6+ months on a mobile version of Ocean Rift. I've split it up into habitats (some of which are larger than the DK1/2 demo), so it's a bit different to what I plan for the consumer Oculus Rift which will probably be completely open world. The envionment for this version's completely new.

You should a full game on pc. I would buy the fuck out of it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Man I hope CV1 has that little focus dial on top that the Gear VR has. I hate the idea of needing custom prescription lenses or wearing glasses with an HMD.

Durante

I wonder about this nearsightedness dial. It was my understanding that moving the lenses also changes the FoV. Is this the case, and if so, does it adjust on the fly? I mean, that would require the running software to change its projection matrix.

flyshow

I wonder about this nearsightedness dial. It was my understanding that moving the lenses also changes the FoV. Is this the case, and if so, does it adjust on the fly? I mean, that would require the running software to change its projection matrix.

I suppose you can get the dial by reading user profile provided by the OR SDK? Though I haven't done enough research to confirm this.

Durante

I just found out that there are again two versions with different SoCs for the Note 4. One with a Snapdragon 805 and one with an Exynos 5433. That's an Adreno 420 and Mali-T760 respectively. Those are quite different in their performance characteristics, drivers etc. Which one of the two have VR developers been working with?

Gear VR is using a 20 or 30% duty cycle (3.3 or 5 ms persistence), lower than I predicted for 60 Hz (4-6 ms).
Persistence depends on brightness, which makes sense as flicker fusion is highly brightness dependent.
John Carmack said:
@albertopinagime it is 60 hz and 20 or 30% duty cycle, depending on brightness. Bright colors at edges are a bit flickery.

It also can't do high refresh rates, so the screen/controller combo won't be used in CV1:
sn said:
@ID_AA_Carmack I guess it's 60Hz for performance reasons - can the Note 4 display also manage 90Hz?
John Carmack said:
no, it can't. I have a scheme I am pushing Samsung on for future products to fix it.
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/507464731196915712

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The Oculus team seems to be working closer than I imagined with Samsung. Makes me wonder what the custom screen for the CV1 will look like. Oh man, its gonna be curved, isn't it? Awww yisss

Seanspeed

Banned
You know, I have learnt not to get to deep into arguing on the net, as it usually leads to nowhere, but I don't want to let this one pass.

Let me tell you something, if a reputable source (such as WSJ, FT, NYT, Engadget, etc.) leaks something, they are usually telling the whole story. So when Engadget pretty much accurately leaked every single detail about Gear VR through multiple articles, it means the information they provided was mostly accurate.

And I would say the following quote: "the urgency is said to be a measure of beating Facebook's Oculus Rift and Sony's Project Morpheus to market." from Engadget is straight forward and it doesn't mean the competitors are some non-existent mobile VR products like you implied above.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/22/samsung-vr-headset/

I would still give Samsung the benefit of the doubt, of course, but we are talking about a company in which they feel quite insecure and release a product the moment there's a rumor that some big company is about to enter that area. The obvious example is the SmartWatch rumor by Apple and how they created a rushed product to beat them to the market, and since then they have reiterated on SmartWatches in a clueless manner a few times already, in a matter of a single year only!

Of course, the more interesting example of beating others to the competition was their Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 after it was rumored that Apple was working on one with a pen support. Look at this Note 12.2 commercial and tell me this is not an insecure company here just trying to cash in the VR hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f16D0RSbzUw

Just to be clear, in my previous post, I only said I can provide example of the fact that Samsung is notorious of having an R&D division that hinges on new potentially big products from others in order to beat others to the competition and take the position of a ‘market pioneer and innovators’. And I guess you just need a bit of conjecture to realize that the Engadget comment is more than likely true, and you calling me wrong is the only baseless argument here.

Oh well, but I am sure potentially getting an exclusive right to purchase Samsung’s AMOLED panel for VR in order to hamper competition, and a whole 12 cents less per panel for Oculus VR is more than worth it for them to go against what they said they were standing for.
It really only takes a bit of common sense to realize that this is NOT a direct rival to Morpheus or the Rift. And if it was, Oculus would not be helping them to beat them to market. The team have also said that hardware is not really their ultimate business-model. I think they know very well that there will be plenty of other VR headsets that will come along and that the important thing is on the content-side.

You can believe what you want and be as cynical as you want, but you're quite wrong to state things as a certainty when you clearly don't know that at all. And you're also wrong to say that they're going against what they said they were standing for, as I've explained already.

Durante

Gear VR is using a 20 or 30% duty cycle (3.3 or 5 ms persistence), lower than I predicted for 60 Hz (4-6 ms).
Persistence depends on brightness, which makes sense as flicker fusion is highly brightness dependent.
Variable duty cycle? That's smart. Probably needs to be a bit intelligent in image processing so as not to cause a difference in perceived brightness.

It also can't do high refresh rates, so the screen/controller combo won't be used in CV1:
Having Carmack push screen manufacturers is like a dream come true for gamers.

Durante

the Gear will be 250$ or more :D
Why do you think so? Any source?

The entire DK2 is $350, and the gear doesn't contain its most expensive part (the screen), and another relatively expensive part (the positional tracking camera), or a second set of lenses.

No arguments about this destroying VR before it even gets started? I thought OR was all about demanding quality to set the first impression well?

R1CHO

No arguments about this destroying VR before it even gets started? I thought OR was all about demanding quality to set the first impression well?

Why would it destroy anything?

This is not for hardcore gamers, virtual tours multimedia and the occasional casual game may work great on this thing.

If you have the phone and drop a bunch of dollars more you have at the very least a huge virtual screen, something more similar to a hmz than a O.R.+Gaming PC it's the objective imo.

And at the end of the day, it's not like this thing is going to sell millions and create a opinion about VR on the general public.

Nzyme32

The goals are very different. I believe oculus have outlined it as being made for casual experience as opposed to achieving presence:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/04/samsung-gear-vr-john-carmack/

For now, Carmack and his team at Oculus -- as well as the folks at Samsung heading up the project -- are excited for what can be done with Gear VR: what they call a more "casual" VR experience. Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe told us, "On the mobile side, where you have limitations around the GPU/CPU, or you have limitations around [the fact that] it's a drop-in phone, it's a little less about 'presence' and a little more about delivering a mobile VR experience -- which is a casual experience."

The software being on Oculus' shoulders suggests that they have a certain quality standard in mind at least for the note 4 for now, and they very much are still responsible for how The first impressions of VR on mobile are with GearVR. Samsung are only doing the hardware. Curiously i wonder if oculus have first party content they will put out for it?

Also I highly doubt people are expecting the same experience from a phone as they do from a games console or high end computer similar to how games are not lambasted for being the way they are on mobile devices.

spwolf

Why do you think so? Any source?

The entire DK2 is $350, and the gear doesn't contain its most expensive part (the screen), and another relatively expensive part (the positional tracking camera), or a second set of lenses.

European sites say €199 for Gear VR and €799 for Note 4....

They are profitable retail products, probably priced 3x-4x than the production cost.

Coming next month and available for just £149.99 here - http://www.expansys.com/samsung-gea...ITE=Omitted_kXQk6*ivFEQ&ADID=265495&ADTYPE=15

You do need a Galaxy Note 4 in order to use it though.

More details and pics are here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/gaming-accessories/samsung-gear-vr-1263308/review

Where the Oculus Rift is tethered and feels like a "grown up" version of virtual reality, the Gear VR feels more accessible as a mainstream product. But this December may be too soon for Gear VR to hit the market. Sure, it's targeted at early adopters and developers but making it widely available doesn't seem to be the right move. Given more time to improve latency and allow more content to flow in, it could very well be a hit.

Gear%20VR_open-580-90.jpg

GalaxyVR-new6-580-90.jpg

WarMacheen

It's been custom designed by the Oculus team to be tailored for the Note 4's tech. Not just a holder.

Yes, but what kind of tech is actually in the headset to warrant such a high price, considering the Note 4 is the actual screen and hardware. The headset looks like a nifty screen holder with lenses and some firmware. I have a Note 4 and would like to try this, but the price seems outlandish.

saxman717

Banned
Yes, but what kind of tech is actually in the headset to warrant such a high price, considering the Note 4 is the actual screen and hardware. The headset looks like a nifty screen holder with lenses and some firmware. I have a Note 4 and would like to try this, but the price seems outlandish.

Details are being discussed in this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142347103#post142347103

Check out the user manual and the reactions from a guy who watched a 2 hr movie with it. The key to this is that it is mobile VR, with the VR software tailored to the Note 4 processor etc. to get maximum performance and efficiency.

Top Bottom