• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

You're understating what they offer. With a Galaxy device you're getting essentially the best screen on the market (in both black levels, contrast, white balance and colour accuracy), the best camera (front and back), one of the fastest phones, and one of the most feature rich in terms of software features (split screen multitasking is a must), not to mention other decent little touches like getting a Wolfson DAC (audiophiles will appreciate that), built in wireless charging etc.

Naturally the loss of sd card slot and removable battery are definite negatives, but the phones are much nicer looking as a result. It's a trade off, and I can understand why not everyone appreciates it, but there's more to their devices than just that.

The odder detail is that they are not offering a 128GB version to compensate. I suppose if we had sales data for the 128GB Note 4 and the additional cost of the 128GB flash storage phones, it would make more sense. Then again, there was a SD card slot available on the Note 4.

Moreover, more consumers are moving and utilising cloud storage and higher data contacts.

hohoXD123

You're understating what they offer. With a Galaxy device you're getting essentially the best screen on the market (in both black levels, contrast, white balance and colour accuracy), the best camera (and an amazing rear camera), one of the fastest phones, and one of the most feature rich in terms of software features (split screen multitasking is a must), not to mention other decent little touches like getting a Wolfson DAC (audiophiles will appreciate that), built in wireless charging etc.

Naturally the loss of sd card slot and removable battery are definite negatives, but the phones are much nicer looking as a result. It's a trade off, and I can understand why not everyone appreciates it, but there's more to their devices than just that.

I just find it weird that they think the phones looking slightly nicer will appeal more to the power user market of the Note series than microSD and removable battery.

Troy

Banned
No removable battery and no mem card slot are two of the main reasons I'll never buy an iPhone (that and iOS is terrible). Looks like I'll be buying something else this fall.

Volotaire

RG0BS1U.gif

MrBigBoy

I don't mind the non-removable battery or no SD card slot, but why no European release for the Note 5?! Been waiting for it and now I need to import :(

ElFly

LOL

Smaller battery
Only 64 GB of storage
No microSD
Same screen resolution as Note 4

Fuck off Samsung.

Do we really need a screen with more resolution than 2560x1440 on a phone.

Maaybe if the screen was significantly bigger, but in a phone the limit is prolly a 6.5" screen, and a 2560x1440 screen would still be more than adequate.

That said, the screen should have been bigger.

Crazyorloco

those keyboard adapter thingies look horrendous

I miss keyboards. I like touch typing, i felt i was actually faster with real keyboards.

Also in my experience, phones with non-removeable batteries have pretty good battery life. The cores or something else in the phone is likely to be more energy efficient. 200mah isnt much guys.

Matticers

LOL

Smaller battery
Only 64 GB of storage
No microSD
Same screen resolution as Note 4

Fuck off Samsung.

I can't believe they stuck with the same "features" that the S6 had. I thought they would have learned from that. People want expandable storage, replaceable batteries, etc.

I have a Note 3 and I've been thinking about upgrading. The phone is phone, I'm just not happy with the battery life anymore and I'd like something newer with better features. I haven't used an iPhone since the original was released but now I may switch back to them if they have a nice showing.

Might switch out my Note Edge for one of these if Microsoft doesn't hurry up and announce their new phones.

Like my edge but choosing white was a horrible decision and my jeans bleeding into it is very upsetting.

I don't really mind the lack of expandable storage as I've not come close to filling up my Edge as I don't use that many apps.

Glad I hopped on the Note 4. Note 5 does not look like an upgrade I would be willing to make. I could care less about swappable battery but I do enjoy the ability to expand my memory and I'm sure Samsung is going to price their new baby high.

Glad I hopped on the Note 4. Note 5 does not look like an upgrade I would be willing to make. I could care less about swappable battery but I do enjoy the ability to expand my memory and I'm sure Samsung is going to price their new baby high.

Does the previous Note usually drop in price? If so, I'm actually thinking about picking up the Note 4.

But the Note 5 does look very nice and it has 4 GBs of RAM. Too conflicted right now. lol

Does the previous Note usually drop in price? If so, I'm actually thinking about picking up the Note 4.

But the Note 5 does look very nice and it has 4 GBs of RAM. Too conflicted right now. lol
Quick search tells me that there are unlocked Note 4s available now for 599.99, and that price will only drop when the Note 5 releases. There are probably better deals out there on carrier specific models too.

If Samsung doesn't move back to the old "like Apple but not with all the bullshit" concept in the next years then I think my Note 4 will stay my last Samsung device. It doesn't help the devices are already Apple tier priced.

well, I'm glad I'm still rather happy with my Note 4, because most of these things about the Note 5 just doesn't speak to me. I can understand the battery thing since they charge so fast and everyone carries an external battery pack, but not being able to switch out the memory card? that's just stupid. I often take a bunch of pictures on my trips and move them all over to the laptop or desktop by simply taking the card out and downloading everything on it to the hard drive. so this whole no removable memory card thing really rubs me the wrong way. oh well, maybe they'll learn their lesson on the Note 6 and change it back.

ps: are either of these 2 new phones waterproof like the S4/5?

Sakujou

Banned
damn stupid. i bought my note 4 this year in january. iam happy but i hoped for a water resistent smartphone. mind boggling why samsung threw this awesome feature out.
and yeah, if samsung keeps up this bullshit i will buy an iphone or htc.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Welp, Note 4 it is. I have been waiting with baited breath to upgrade next month from my piece of shit HTC One M7. Note 5 removes features while not really adding any that I want. Outside a probably slightly faster processor and an extra gig of RAM, this looks like a downgrade to me.

This for me as well. I'd actually leave Samsung entirely, but my mom loves the stylus so my parents and I will all be upgrading to Note 4s from our Note 2s. I'll be very interested in seeing the sales number for the Note 5 - I know I'm not the only disappointed customer out there.

I just find it weird that they think the phones looking slightly nicer will appeal more to the power user market of the Note series than microSD and removable battery.

Seriously - most users will have it in a case and could care less about a seamless appearance. The removable battery is really non-optional for me - it is so awesome to just swap in a fresh battery instead of hunting for an outlet like so many people have to do.

No Micro SD
No removable battery
No thank you, Samsung.

I will just upgrade to a Note 4 eventually, and I'll skip the Note 5.

I MIGHT have bitten if they had either no MicroSD or no removable battery, but both? That's a good way to alienate me. If it comes down to it, I'll use the Note 4 forever and never upgrade. CyanogenMod's got my back.

USC-fan

Banned
People still use IR blasters? Seems like such an antiquated feature to include.
Yes love it. Use my phone as a remote control for my TVs or whatever.
How do you have that battery? Does it make the phone bigger?

Am Interested in that keyboard add on but only if it doesn't cover icons.
yes it's bigger and makes the phone feel more solid and makes it's easier to hold. The stock battery and back make the phone too thin.

The bigger battery and back make the side bigger so you have more area tongrip with fingers. Love it!

TedNindo

Samsung's internal memory is blazingly fast though.
Just open the image gallery on an s6. Almost instantly loads all images. External memory can't compete.

mackattk

No Micro SD
No removable battery
No thank you, Samsung.

I will just upgrade to a Note 4 eventually, and I'll skip the Note 5.

I MIGHT have bitten if they had either no MicroSD or no removable battery, but both? That's a good way to alienate me. If it comes down to it, I'll use the Note 4 forever and never upgrade. CyanogenMod's got my back.

How is your battery life with Cyanogenmod? I have a Note 3 and tried non-TW(touchwiz) roms. I love the performance they have and most everything about them, but the battery life sucks compared to TW roms. Instead of going down ~2%/hour during deep sleep it is 10% an hour.

dankir

Still have my Note 3 from my company. I'll probably be able to upgrade to the Note 4 in a few months.

Note 5 doesn't look all that impressive. What's the point now that the S6+ has the same sized screen.

The stylus?

Come on Samsung.

ss_lemonade

So is the s6+ is basically a Note 5 edge without pen functionality? It even seems to be slightly larger than the Note 5 according to gsmarena

How is your battery life with Cyanogenmod? I have a Note 3 and tried non-TW(touchwiz) roms. I love the performance they have and most everything about them, but the battery life sucks compared to TW roms. Instead of going down ~2%/hour during deep sleep it is 10% an hour.

I'm actually currently using a stock based ROM on my Note 3 just because of the Samsung Camera app. Sadly, Cyanogenmod's battery life is not nearly as good as stock. My battery drains similar to yours when using CM. However, I don't mind the drain too much because CM's smoothness and features definitely outweigh the problem. Plus, with the screen off most of the time, it still lasts a day for me.

I'm planning on switching back to CyanogenMod at some point soon. If the battery life is that important to you, then I really don't blame you if you decide to not use CM.

Note 5 doesn't look all that impressive. What's the point now that the S6+ has the same sized screen.

The stylus?

Come on Samsung.

To be honest, I really like the stylus because I can draw in Sketchbook and other apps with it. I can see the appeal of a cheaper Note without the Wacom digitizer for those who just don't care about that sort of thing.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Update: The big US carriers have announced their pricing, and you're typically looking at $250 on contract for the 32GB model, and $350 for its 64GB sibling. That's $25-29 and $28-30 per month on an installment plan, or $700-740 and $815-840 if you're buying outright.

For a smaller nonreplacable battery and no expandable memory. Smh, sad.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Note 5 makes me glad I went with Note 4— skip year it is.

It looks hot though, and people who never bought into the note line yet are in for a sexy treat.

I don't think I can ever go back to a non-stylus phone, so I realty hope next year's offering is more compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom