• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkscz

There is actually a large niche audience for physical keyboards (me included). No matter how hard we try, we can't get use to touch screen typing, however, this is not what we wanted. What we want is more of a slide out keyboard for room. This cramp little thing looks more like Samsungs idea to steal the few remaining blackberry users.

Edit: Something like this
dYqaHLr.jpg

Damn, hope the Note 4 is compatible with the consumer Gear VR, was looking forward to the 5 for it :/

Are the power differences that big between the two?
I was actually curious about this too. I bought the Gear VR for the Note 4, but it would be great if they made the consumer one compatible with both the Note 4 and Note 5.
It would be awesome to have some basic improvements like being able to used it while it's plugged in.

But if not, at least I can still have the option to swap out a fresh battery if my Note 4 dies!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So Samsung is not launching the Note 5 in Europe because of marketing reasons. They seem to believe the Edge+ will do.

Morons.

So Samsung is not launching the Note 5 in Europe because of marketing reasons. They seem to believe the Edge+ will do.

Morons.

They know it's already dead. The response has been overwhelmingly negative and Samsung know it. Samsung needs to realize there's only room in the world for one Apple so stop trying to out-Apple them. You can't. Nobody can.

Wow. Was excited to upgrade to this from the Note3, but no SD card slot or removable battery? Really Samsung? Why would I bother with this then if I can just get an iPhone?

I've been outta the loop. What's are the Android contenders to upgrade to now that Samsung apparently decided to ruin its offerings?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They know it's already dead. The response has been overwhelmingly negative and Samsung know it. Samsung needs to realize there's only room in the world for one Apple so stop trying to out-Apple them. You can't. Nobody can.

What?

The Note is definitely one of the few Samsung devices with actually innovative features and it's commonly seen among professional settings due to its stylus and productivity-oriented apps. The response towards the Note 5 may have been negative, but there's still a market to cater. Ignoring it for an entire generation will be considerably more costly.

Ovek

7Member7
No Note5 for Europe?! Well considering my next phone was going to be either a Note5 or the new iPhone I guess Samsung just made my decision easier.

CryptiK

The fuck did I just read. Out-Apple? On the note? wut

Wow. Was excited to upgrade to this from the Note3, but no SD card slot or removable battery? Really Samsung? Why would I bother with this then if I can just get an iPhone?

I've been outta the loop. What's are the Android contenders to upgrade to now that Samsung apparently decided to ruin its offerings?

Well...you could get a Note 4...

KeRaSh

What the fuck has Samsung done? Also is the only difference between the Note 5 and S6+ the stylus?

Yeah, it's crazy that the Note series used to be only for phablets with abnormaly large screens compared to the Galaxy S line and now they are basically the same.

I'm personally eyeing the Moto X Play. Bang for buck wise it's the best thing you can get right now. I don't need a 1440p display on my smartphone. 1080p is plenty and the 3650mAh battery will be amazing. Also microSD slot and basically stock Android with a few minor additions for around 400€? Crazy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Honestly, the bit about Samsung not bringing the Note 5 to Europe is so fucking baffling. It was my prime A tier option in case the newest crop of Windows Phone devices sucked ass. It looks like my plan B will have to be a mid-ranger since I'm not too enamored of the latest generation of premium devices barring the vanilla S6, which I love, but doesn't come with the kind of usability provided by the Note.

What a waste.

What?

The Note is definitely one of the few Samsung devices with actually innovative features and it's commonly seen among professional settings due to its stylus and productivity-oriented apps. The response towards the Note 5 may have been negative, but there's still a market to cater. Ignoring it for an entire generation will be considerably more costly.

The fuck did I just read. Out-Apple? On the note? wut

He's kinda right though. Yeah, the stylus and various other apps and features for the Note are neat, but what they did here is...honestly bizarre. It's like they went "iPhone's offering large screen options now like we do. They bridged the gap by adding something, let us bridge it even more from our end, by dialing features and options back."

Well...you could get a Note 4...

That might be what I default to if I find nothing else. I'd have thought more exciting, recently unveiled stuff would be available already. Guess I'll have to do some research.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It should be noted (HA) that Microsoft's latest flagships will come with an optional Surface-like stylus. If pen support is robust, I could see myself buying it. If not, the Note 4 may be somewhat tempting providing Samsung drops its price further.

Fliesen

What?

i think you two mean the same thing.

With the S6 and S6Edge before that, Samsung moved away from what many people considered strong points of the Samsung line-up, namely: replaceable batteries and microSD extension slots for the sake of making more premium looking devices that compromise on said features. (i.e. trying to make them more like iPhones)
People dreaded them to do the same thing to the Note family, which they now did, hence the somewhat negative response.

The Note 5 should have been an evolution of the Note 4 - gaining features, not losing them.

I think Samsung failed to realize that people didn't just like the Note series for the large screen alone, but also because it's a productivity power-house. And people who use their phablets as a productivity machine love to be able to swap their batteries or use an SD card as storage extension or even means of data transfer.
I think, in general, Samsung have no idea of what made their S2 to S4 series of phones sell so well and why the S5 didn't. And they have no real explanation for the Note's success either. - they can't pinpoint what exactly made these phones so well liked.

Why they're not shipping the Note 5 in Europe, i seriously don't know. Maybe European sales numbers for the Note line aren't all that great and they'd like to somewhat be able to focus their marketing on a limited number of flagship devices, seeing as the S6 family didn't sell all too well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why they're not shipping the Note 5 in Europe, i seriously don't know. Maybe European sales numbers for the Note line aren't all that great and they'd like to somewhat be able to focus their marketing on a limited number of flagship devices, seeing as the S6 family didn't sell all too well.

The problem here is that Samsung could easily sell the Note 5 in smaller numbers just to keep part of that user base (those who want a new Note yet can still live without removable battery and microSD slots) happy until a proper Note arrives.

Yet the company has decided to drop it altogether, which doesn't make a lot of sense unless they believe that the Note 5 will tarnish the image of the device to the point of damaging the sales of the next generation. I hope they keep the Note 4 around for a good while, at least.

Fliesen

The problem here is that Samsung could easily sell the Note 5 in smaller numbers just to keep part of that user base (those who want a new Note yet can still live without removable battery and microSD slots) happy until a proper Note arrives.

Yet the company has decided to drop it altogether, which doesn't make a lot of sense unless they believe that the Note 5 will tarnish the image of the device to the point of damaging the sales of the next generation. I hope they keep the Note 4 around for a good while, at least.

well, i believe it's quite a lot of work to fill all the retail channels across European markets, much more so than in the US, where you just need to make sure that AT&T, Verizon and maybe T-Mobile sell your phone. Plenty of retailers, plenty of markets, plenty of cell service providers across Europe.
I'm sure there's going to be ways to obtain an unlocked Note 5 in Europe, though.

Fliesen

It's not official yet, but Windows Central has published some fairly massive leaks related to Microsoft's next flagship devices.

is it really a trade-off worth taking, going for a Windows phone, just because it's
a) hard to get a Note 5
b) the Note 5 doesn't have a replaceable battery or a microSD slot?
(no offense Windows phone)
(
yes offense
)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was on a Lumia 920 until I broke its SIM tray a few weeks ago. It is easily the best phone I've ever owned.

I fucking love the Windows platform. It's so simple and fast. The lack of apps is kinda shit, but it's not like I use a lof of them. I could see myself staying there, but only if Microsoft's productivity apps are robust enough.

Nicktendo86

What an absolute clusterfuck. Not sure how long Samsung can cling onto the top android oem spot, the problem is here is not really anyone else there to challenge. If there is any justice in this world the Moto x style will sell gangbusters.

Volotaire

Not that I agree with the smaller battery size, but Samsung's optimisation may result in the same/longer battery life. I would wait for the battery life results. I remember the same with the Z3 (although the difference is larger this time).

Maxrunner

There is actually a large niche audience for physical keyboards (me included). No matter how hard we try, we can't get use to touch screen typing, however, this is not what we wanted. What we want is more of a slide out keyboard for room. This cramp little thing looks more like Samsungs idea to steal the few remaining blackberry users.

Edit: Something like this
dYqaHLr.jpg

waiting for that blackberry venice with vertical slider and android....

Not that I agree with the smaller battery size, but Samsung's optimisation may result in the same/longer battery life. I would wait for the battery life results. I remember the same with the Z3 (although the difference is larger this time).

Yeah I'm waiting to see reviews too. It might turn out to still be pretty good.

Sora_N

I can't wait for the note 5 to be out. I'm due for an upgrade in a month.

Note 4 here I come since the price will drop. If I wanted no microsd cards I can pick apple or something cheaper.

OraleeWey

Anybody have a good recommended battery for a note 4? Wanna get one for my GF and I'm not a galaxy user so my knowledge base is limited.

OT: looks iPhone-ish, I do like the note 4 from my time with it. I could see myself with one if I ever got a surface tablet to be my windows device.

http://www.amazon.com/Warranty-Zerolemon-10000mah-Extended-Protection/dp/B00Q7C6FTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439673150&sr=8-1&keywords=10%2C000mah+note+4

Note: it turns a phone into a brick.

Harusame

The titanium version of the S6 Edge+ actually looks pretty good. I want to eventually replace my S4 hopefully soon, but at the same time, I am in no rush to actually replace it.

Alszem

I don't get why they made the S6 Edge Plus. The curved screen would've been great in a Note Edge successor since, you know, the Edge Plus is basically a Note without the S-Pen.

Oh and the prices are ridiculous: the Note 5 is 380$ and the Edge Plus is 480$ with a 2-year plan. And I thought the Note Edge's price was ridicoulous last year... (400$)

At least this announcement means the previous generation will drop in price. The Note Edge will then be mine.

I'm weak bros. That Note 5 is looking so good. I hate what they've done to it in terms of battery and lack of expandable storage, as all of you; however, it is looking like a beautiful piece of tech. And one that will meet all of my needs, limited capacity notwithstanding.

I'm weak bros. That Note 5 is looking so good. I hate what they've done to it in terms of battery and lack of expandable storage, as all of you; however, it is looking like a beautiful piece of tech. And one that will meet all of my needs, limited capacity notwithstanding.

Yeah. Hearing everybody stating how the phone feels amazing in the hand with the curved back, the new S-Pen features, the faster processor over the N4, and the 4 GBs of RAM have me sold on it.

The lack of expandable storage and removable battery sucks, but honestly I never utilized the expandable storage when I had a Note 3 and I never really needed to exchange batteries (though I liked having both as options). Not to mention I've had an iPhone 6 for the last year and it hasn't been a deal breaker not having those features so I doubt it'll be one for me now.

I've had the S4 and the S5 and I'm due to upgrade at the end of the year (AT&T Next plan). I think I'll be shopping around a bit. The S6 really isn't knocking my socks off. And now it almost looks like the Note and the Galaxy lines should just merge. Why are there two different phones if they share so much of the same look/feel/specs?

To me the Note was always the phone that had the stylus and was sort of that "if you want a bigger phone but not quite a tablet." Now phones are bigger and they yanked the stylus, so... why does the Note exist?

JoseDFrog

Banned
I've had the S4 and the S5 and I'm due to upgrade at the end of the year (AT&T Next plan). I think I'll be shopping around a bit. The S6 really isn't knocking my socks off. And now it almost looks like the Note and the Galaxy lines should just merge. Why are there two different phones if they share so much of the same look/feel/specs?

To me the Note was always the phone that had the stylus and was sort of that "if you want a bigger phone but not quite a tablet." Now phones are bigger and they yanked the stylus, so... why does the Note exist?

The stylus is there...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe they are phrasing out the Note series and replace it with the galaxy edge plus with optionl Spen

I keep considering switching to a S6 Edge, or even this S6 Edge+, but I'm so damn hesitant to move away from the Windows Phone OS. I love it so much, and it's different from a lot of what's out there. My biggest issue with this damn phone, though, Nokia Lumia Icon, is that the speakers are so fucking terrible. I can't play anything with any acceptable sound for others to hear, and it literally takes all the fun out of creating a customized ringtone.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm on my second battery on my Note 2, and I've taken out the first sd card and put it in storage since it has pictures and videos of my kid on it.

I still like my Note 2. I was hoping to bump to the Note 5, but now it looks like I'll try to look for a Note 4 on discount when the 5 comes out. The lack of removable storage has always been my irritation with the iPhone, and it's what's turning me off to the Note 5.

Phone Arena stating they are getting more battery life on their benchmarks on the Note 5 than the Note 4 despite the smaller battery. Roughly about half an hour more, which is not much but impressive considering the battery in the Note 5 is smaller. Also stating that the fast charge is a bit faster on the Note 5.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Galaxy-Note5-battery-life-benchmark-Outperforms-the-Note-4-despite-smaller-battery_id72735

not really surprising when considering the die shrink

Love the double curved edges but neither that or the note has microsd card. That sucks major ass, now what do I do with my music library? Hopefully the s7 edge + has a microsd slot or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom