• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S5 may be world's first phone with 4GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's as much RAM as my Macbook Air :eek:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-world-s-first-phone-with-4gb-of-ram-1194621
The Samsung Galaxy S5 news is picking up the pace, with more whispers on the sorts of specs we might be getting on the next flagship.
Last week it was looking more hopeful that the S5 will come with a 64-bit Exynos processor to rival the iPhone 5S, with word that the chip was in the final stages of development.
Now Digital Times Korea says that this will be the first of the Exynos 6 series, and will also come paired with 4GB of RAM - double that of the Galaxy S4 - making it a world first (so long as no one beats Samsung to it).

The only other phone to come close to 4GB was the Ubuntu Edge which, sadly, died an early death on Indiegogo, unable to raise enough funds to get off the ground.

Burning the apples

That could be a serious burn for the iPhone and its mere 1GB, especially considering the criticism launched at Apple's phone for offering 64-bit architecture without the sufficient memory to really put it to use.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 hosts 3GB of RAM and that's mighty speedy, so we're looking at the possibility of Samsung pushing out an absolute powerhouse in a few months time.
There's no further word on the release date, with Digital Korea Times claiming "the first half of next year". However we've heard it could be here as early as January. Here's hoping.

In a shiny plastic!

Nope.

In hideous faux-leather plastic with fake stitching!

galaxy-note-3-back-.jpg

Yoshiya

god even android memory management isn't that fucking terrible. i'm getting by just fine with 4GB on my mbp.

It's no more than a marketing buzzword if true. If my GS3 handles Android just fine with 2gb, then why does an even better optimised OS verison need more? Unless Samsung plan on using even more bloatware? Any 2gb phone handles the multitasking just fine.

People were saying the same about PC's and 8GB a few years ago.

How many cases outside of those running VMs legitimately need more than that? I only have 6GB of RAM, and I can have Chrome open with about 20 tabs and 10 extensions running, Firefox, Lightroom, and still run BF3 without running out of RAM.

plasmasd

I wish the note 3 had 4gb. 3gb is much better than 2gb, but its not hard to hit that wall where everything starts to get slower and you need to free up ram

gogogow

People were saying the same about PC's and 8GB a few years ago.

I agree with this.
XP required 128MB of memory
Vista up to 8.1 required 1GB for 32 bit and 2GB for 64 bit. So the requirements stayed flat, but does 2GB of ram give you a smooth experience?

Gonff

Banned
god even android memory management isn't that fucking terrible. i'm getting by just fine with 4GB on my mbp.

Android memory management isn't terrible at all.

In fact, it uses a unique way of managing memory where if you have available memory, the phone is being used wrong.

rezuth

I wish the note 3 had 4gb. 3gb is much better than 2gb, but its not hard to hit that wall where everything starts to get slower and you need to free up ram

Seems like they would need better memory management instead of just cramming more RAM into it.

Omni

4GB? Hah. My laptop only has 6 and I never come close to maxing that out.

Why would a phone ever need that much?

The only reason it'd need that much RAM is because of how unoptimized TouchWiz is and for the "new" features the Samsung copymachines add to the S5.

mackattk

the memory helps out a lot on image-heavy websites, especially the pics that make you laugh page.

Battery technology hasn't been able to keep up with everything else, so Samsung is just upgrading what it can to set it apart from the previous iteration of the device.

gcubed

I can't imagine all the useless, shit features Samsung can cram into 4gb!!

Maybe you can type by drawing in the air over the camera!

jokkir

Not really surprising considering the advancements in the mobile industry.

I can't imagine all the useless, shit features Samsung can cram into 4gb!!

Maybe you can type by drawing in the air over the camera!

Sign language interpretation coming to a Galaxy product near you.

Mook1e

Are there people in this thread actually arguing against more ram?
Yes, because they love reloading web page tabs with their 1gb ram devices.
It's not hard to think of good uses for more ram without resulting to smart alec remarks, but then people wouldn't have an excuse to ignorantly bash things.

I don't think anyone here really argues against 4 GB RAM, but whether or not it's needed at this point. The only reason for Samsung to put 4 GB RAM into their phone is because they can and not because they'll have some magical software feature that will utilize the 4 GB RAM and the 8-core CPU.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
well.. i guess skipping the S4 has it's benefits. I don't really need a new phone though, my S3 has been great.

Ninja Dom

It's just dick-waving and doesn't really mean that much to most customer. It will have 4GB Ram and a 64 bit processor but as of yet, Android isn't a 64 bit OS and doesn't have any 64 bit optimised apps.

Maxrunner

I don't think anyone here really argues against 4 GB RAM, but whether or not it's needed at this point. The only reason for Samsung to put 4 GB RAM into their phone is because they can and not because they'll have some magical software feature that will utilize the 4 GB RAM and the 8-core CPU.

So what's the point of apple's arm 7 64bit cpu announcement? I think its more stupid to put a 64bit cpu on a device and then not having the amount of ram that will actually give any reason to use that same cpu, no?

KHarvey16

So what's the point of apple's arm 7 64bit cpu announcement? I think its more stupid to put a 64bit cpu on a device and then not having the amount of ram that will actually give any reason to use that same cpu, no?

Why do you think addressable memory space is the only benefit of the 64bit architecture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom