• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S5 may be world's first phone with 4GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldfoot

Banned
So what's the point of apple's arm 7 64bit cpu announcement? I think its more stupid to put a 64bit cpu on a device and then not having the amount of ram that will actually give any reason to use that same cpu, no?
64-bit cpu's are also faster due to having bigger larger registers which are now able to do the same operations in fewer clock cycles. In the x86 world 64-bit brings an IPC improvement of 20-25%.

maliedoo

Waiting for multi-boot device so I can run, android, windows, ios, ubuntu, firefox, blackberry whenever I want.
It will never happen.

Somnid

More nonsense about the benefit of 64bit being addressable memory space.

More efficiently process integers over 4 billion? Better support for high precision floating point (GPU handles a lot of this anyway)? Maybe expanded instruction set (seems unlikely)? It's not a big deal aside from having more addressable memory space. It's nice when it's standard but you won't notice a difference just like PCs didn't.

I think it's a milestone we need and shouldn't provide the same drawbacks as ridiculous screen resolutions. But the benefits are rather insignificant such that end-consumers won't notice and again speaks against the upgrade treadmill.

Maxrunner

64-bit cpu's are also faster due to having bigger larger registers which are now able to do the same operations in fewer clock cycles. In the x86 world 64-bit brings an IPC improvement of 20-25%.

So how does that fare when you have a cpu with 4Gb of ram?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think the divergence in design principles is very interesting. We have Apple sticking with 1 GB of RAM in their iPad air even when moving to 64-bit. The only way they can get away with it is the leaner multitasking approach that iOS takes. They wouldn't even benefit from increasing RAM(except for apps that require it such as multi-layer drawing, multi-tab UI etc). However, I wish they would.

The Android spec race is a totally different beast. More robust multitasking most likely requires more memory in the long run. Especially as users expect a desktop like experience.

KHarvey16

More efficiently process integers over 4 billion? Better support for high precision floating point (GPU handles a lot of this anyway)? Maybe expanded instruction set (seems unlikely)? It's not a big deal aside from having more addressable memory space. It's nice when it's standard but you won't notice a difference just like PCs didn't.

I think it's a milestone we need and shouldn't provide the same drawbacks as ridiculous screen resolutions. But the benefits are rather insignificant such that end-consumers won't notice and again speaks against the upgrade treadmill.

The instruction set isn't expanded, it's completely new. Increases in the number of registers, both general purpose and application specific, as well as increases in register size will have very large impacts on performance. Anand put the improvement offered by twice as may general purpose registers in x86-64 at 10% all by itself. That's huge.

Awesome. Bought the note 3 for my gf and love it. Still using my note 2. S5 will be my next phone for sure. Here's hoping for 5" with 4gb Ram and new processor like the article states.

I don't think anyone here really argues against 4 GB RAM, but whether or not it's needed at this point. The only reason for Samsung to put 4 GB RAM into their phone is because they can and not because they'll have some magical software feature that will utilize the 4 GB RAM and the 8-core CPU.

Using 4 gb of ram would be pretty easy for anyone who switches between several tasks I would imagine. Android keeps any app in ram until it has to remove it to make room for a newly started one, so more ram is directly related to how well multitasking works. Android, unlike a pc operating system, does not have a page file and it is up to the app to close in a orderly fashion when it is forced out of memory. Some apps do this well, while others do this terribly. With more ram, the system will remember the states of more apps, and makes switching between them faster and better for the user in cases where apps do not save their last state very well.

Cipherr

This is non news, they are already shipping 3GB ram phones, and Androids real multitasking scales wonderfully with more memory. Could have seen this coming years ago.

You phone will never need more than 2GB of RAM.

Don't say stuff like this, You just make yourself look ridiculous. 15 years ago, people could have said the same about 768MB of ram on a cellphone, but things change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom