• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Pay is amazing.

Samsung too cheap to buy ad space nowday that they have to post on GAF now.

It's worth mentioning dude. I have an S7 and have been using Android pay because I never knew a Samsung pay existed since it isn't pre installed and isn't on the play store. There's a few times where having a mag strip compatible method would have really come in handy.

JettDash

It's worth mentioning dude. I have an S7 and have been using Android pay because I never knew a Samsung pay existed since it isn't pre installed and isn't on the play store. There's a few times where having a mag strip compatible method would have really come in handy.

Not preinstalled? I'm pretty sure it was on my S6 and definitely was on my S8. Maybe it is dependent on the carrier or something.

It is also definitely in the Play Store.

<3 Samsung Pay

wish all my cards supported it.

Not preinstalled? I'm pretty sure it was on my S6 and definitely was on my S8. Maybe it is dependent on the carrier or something.

i know that in the US it wasn't preinstalled on some Verizon devices.

That's really strange then. Could be carrier dependant but when searching Samsung Pay, SamsungPay or SamsungPay UK (the name of the one I grabbed off the Samsung app store) nothing comes up but Android Pay on the Play store.

JettDash

That's really strange then. Could be carrier dependant but when searching Samsung Pay, SamsungPay or SamsungPay UK (the name of the one I grabbed off the Samsung app store) nothing comes up but Android Pay on the Play store.

You being in the UK probably explains it.

Ghazi

You would give them your card details but you're hesitant to sign up for an account? Why?

It's not for privacy reasons, I just don't use any of the samsung features often so I find it unnecessary to make an account with samsung just to use Pay.

So Samsung has its own reward points program for Samsung Pay? That sounds pretty good actually.

Magnetic strip simulation is good in countries where that's still prevalent, I guess. It's no longer accepted as a payment method in Australia. It's all NFC tap to pay here, but chip and pin as a backup if NFC is down or some person doesn't trust tap to pay for whatever eason.
I pay with swipe sometimes when my chip doesn't work. It's still accepted, at least in Adelaide.

Had it on my Note 5, the card swipe spoofing means it works almost anywhere. Very handy.

There's also some other beaming tech built in for rewards cards / gift cards and old-school infared scanners that can't read phone screens.

But those are pretty rare now.

Wow, that's so stupid. Why do banks charge more for chip payments? It's in their best interests to switch to chip and NFC since it's more secure and saves them money they'd otherwise have to reimburse due to card fraud.

Retailers are on the hook for fraud costs now. That's what the Oct. 2015 deadline was supposed to induce. It's just that a lot of retailers still don't really care.

rashbeep

Banned
I've been using Android Pay (not sure the difference from Samsung) for a bit now and it is pretty slick. Very responsive.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Wait, this shit works WITHOUT NFC?

fucking what

You being in the UK probably explains it.

Yeah maybe it's just not getting the push here since the strip has been phased out largely. Only time I really see it now is country pubs etc. Oddly all the cards still come with mag strip despite the quick drop off of them in stores.

Quick charging is on the same level.

Yeah this one is a huge deal for me. I forget to charge my phone too damn often so getting to half battery in 20-30 minutes is super convenient. Bring on the full graphene future.

I love Samsung Pay, I got a 25 dollar Game Stop gift card after a month using it in my everyday purchases.

I know it sounds like a commercial and all, but a good service is good service. And it really does work on any swipe machine, I rely on it so much.

Allforce

I have it on my S8 and my Gear S3 watch but have never used it out of just apathy and basically convincing myself it won't work right and I'll be holding up a line somewhere.

The Gear S3 one works even without your phone around I guess, up to like 10 purchases before it has to sync up to the phone again. Kind of a neat feature on a watch but I've never tried it.

The Llama

A lot of places do, including major retailers.

I like a large number of others hate the chip bullshit because in the US it's slower and its implementation with no PIN makes it borderline useless.

That shit is pretty slow. I hate it.

No idea what it's like in other countries but it feels so utterly and completely useless here in the US. Just a waste of everyone's time that despite the potential for better security doesn't actually end up reducing costs for anyone (in particular the end user).

Omadahl

Banned
Just curious. If someone swiped phone, how easy is it for them to buy stuff? I use my Amazon Rewards card for everything as of right now.

Just curious. If someone swiped phone, how easy is it for them to buy stuff? I use my Amazon Rewards card for everything as of right now.

Depends on your settings.
Ranges from "trivial" to "they would have to unlock your phone and cut off your finger / pluck out your eye"

Vyer

i remember when people shit on the idea of paying with your device back when Apple Pay was about to launch.

IIRC there were some passionate tense debates on how many seconds you would really save

Shame in the US most restaurants won't bring like a machine over to ya to pay your stuff like in other countries.

Also can never get it to work in gas stations. Otherwise it's quite nice!
I've been to lots of restaurants that have machines on the table where you can order food and pay.

Futureman

99% of stores have the ability to read chip cards. The problem is most stores disable the chip function because they don't want to pay the processing fees or set up the infrastructure required. Very few large chain store accept chip cards.

Where do you live? I'm in Pittsburgh and the vast majority of places I go to accept chip.

spuckthew

I once paid a £130 restaurant bill using Android Pay to the surprise of the waitress. I love that you can use it to pay for things that cost more than the £30 limit of regular contactless cards. Super useful technology.

Samsung Pay I've never come across here...probably because its main selling point is redundant.

Agreed it's pretty sweet. I usually leave my wallet in the car and don't bring it into stores. Love surprising cashiers who are like "We don't take Apple/Android Pay" and boom it works.

I have it on my S8 and my Gear S3 watch but have never used it out of just apathy and basically convincing myself it won't work right and I'll be holding up a line somewhere.

The Gear S3 one works even without your phone around I guess, up to like 10 purchases before it has to sync up to the phone again. Kind of a neat feature on a watch but I've never tried it.

you won't hold up the line.

plus you could just try it when there is no line.

SpecX

Tried it when I got my Note 7 and loved it. Waiting on my Note 8 so I can go back to it. Have a couple gift cards still waiting in my account.

Nevasleep

Yeah maybe it's just not getting the push here since the strip has been phased out largely. Only time I really see it now is country pubs etc. Oddly all the cards still come with mag strip despite the quick drop off of them in stores.

If a (UK) retailer accepts mag stripe, they are liable if it's a fraudulent transaction.
I think mag stripes are still used by various ticket machines and ATMs.

JettDash

Does this work with the watch?

I don't have it but I believe on the Gear S2 it works with NFC and on the S3 it works with NFC and magnetic strip,

If a (UK) retailer accepts mag stripe, they are liable if it's a fraudulent transaction.
I think mag stripes are still used by various ticket machines and ATMs.

They are in the US too. Plenty of places don't really give a shit though.

JettDash

NFC is the chip reader? So I can basically pay for stuff everywhere without pockets? Sounds like we future now.

NFC (and the mag strip mimicking tech that Samsung has) it is done by holding the phone/watch up the machine. The chip, you have to insert the card in the machine.

No idea what it's like in other countries but it feels so utterly and completely useless here in the US. Just a waste of everyone's time that despite the potential for better security doesn't actually end up reducing costs for anyone (in particular the end user).

Most places in the UK is lovely and fast - enter PIN and pretty much instantly it says PIN Accepted (unless you're at a place where they're pin terminal is connected over mobile networks or something... then you wait) and normal processing times apply. Android / Apple pay is still faster, esp. with the ~£100 limit which covers most ordinary purchases, but when you need it it's not a problem in the UK. Beats swiping and signing.

(MFW I had to give back my work Nexus 5X with Android Pay and went back to my paymentless Lumia 950XL. Actually have to carry a bank card now :'( )

Samsung kinda dropped the ball on advertising how magical this thing is. When you tell most people it works everywhere no matter what they just don't believe you unless you explain it has special technology in it.

Top Bottom