• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Releasing a patch to fix Switch auto Switching

bomblord1

Banned
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/25/samsung-tvs-to-fix-nintendo-switch-hdmi-problem

An issue on Samsung TVs that saw them automatically switching HDMI channel to a Nintendo Switch console in sleep mode should be fixed soon.

Samsung's latest TVs include a feature that has them automatically switch to what they perceive to be a newly-active HDMI input, but docked Switch consoles (among other devices) appear to trigger that feature even when notionally turned off.

Speaking to The Verge (via Polygon), a spokesperson said: "Samsung has been following the comments on our Community Thread and we will be issuing a Firmware update early this summer that will address this behavior and provide the level of convenience that was intended."

I know quite a few users here have been having this issue based on comments. (I also have a less serious issue with our LG TV randomly pulling up a pop-up).

Overtech

Neo Member
That's awesome, but I hope LG does this, as well. I have to keep the HDMI unplugged when I'm not playing now.

Fantastic.

In the meantime I've been keeping my Switch out the dock unless I want to use it/charge it overnight to stop it from interrupting what I'm doing.

terrible

Banned
My HDMI switch automatically switches to the Switch if I forget to undock the Switch while I'm using another device. I feel like it's the Switch that is at fault here.

Switch

Schnozberry

Samsung 2016 TV's apparently respond to any chatter on the HDMI connection, rather than the just the standard CEC commands. The firmware also doesn't turn off this function, even when CEC is disabled. It's annoying as hell. Not only does my Switch flip over my inputs seemingly at random when I forget to turn it off, my cable box will randomly power on my TV whenever it starts to record a show.

Jeffrey

Nice. I basically have the switch off the dock when not in use. At least the sleep mode can last for a while unlike 3ds.

kitsuneyo

Off topic, but I was always surprised no TV manufacturer ever came out with a set with a built-in Wii sensor bar at the height of that craze. It would've been a great feature.

cyba89

Thank god!
Having to plug in the HDMI cable everytime pretty much killed the Switch concept of easily switching between Handheld and TV.

I actually enjoyed having my tv not only turn on but also change input automatically when I turned on my Switch.

That is still possible assuming Samsung TVs handle CEC properly. The issue they fixed is the TV seeing random activity from the Switch when it's in sleep mode and switching to that input.

pswii60

How about Nintendo releases a fix? The Switch shouldn't just be frequently and randomly activating its HDMI output for no reason.

It's annoying on my LG TV too, which comes up with a notification that the HDMI port is available every time Switch does its thing.
Ooooh, I always assumed that it was the fault of my Switch rather than TV. Neat that this will be changed.
It is a fault of the Switch - the Switch just randomly sleeps and wakes up its HDMI output constantly. But the Samsung TV has a more adverse side effect to it than others as it also changes to the input too.

Where's the LG guy on this forum? Need to page LG to stop getting the Switch to get the HDMI channel prompt to randomly appear on screen whilst watching TV.

Glad Samsung is stepping up on this! I use CEC on my Switch with two different TV's (Sony/Hisense) and haven't had any issues with this feature. Definitely seems like the way that certain models handle that and I'd be curious to see what was actually causing the problem. If it was a Switch-specific issue I'd think the CEC would act up on every set.

Fliesen

Does this affect other TVs? If it does, it wouldn't be a TV issue but a Switch issue and it should be Nintendo's job to fix it.

The Switch seems to have a habit of intermittently 'waking' the HDMI connection, which causes these TVs to automatically switch to that HDMI input.

While this should also be fixed on the Switch's side, it's rather baffling that this feature can't (yet) be deactivated on these TVs.
Like, if i fiddle around with HDMI cables underneath my TV because i wanna do cable management, while my girlfriend's watching TV, i wouldn't want her to constantly have to switch back to the TV channel.

Glad Samsung is stepping up on this! I use CEC on my Switch with two different TV's (Sony/Hisense) and haven't had any issues with this feature. Definitely seems like the way that certain models handle that and I'd be curious to see what was actually causing the problem. If it was a Switch-specific issue I'd think the CEC would act up on every set.

nothing to do with CEC. That's a feature that you can decide to use or just deactivate. This is the TV being (a bit too) "smart" and automatically switching to the most recently 'connected / activated' HDMI device.
So, if you - say - plug in your laptop into a HDMI input on your TV, it would auto switch to that signal.

How about Nintendo releases a fix? The Switch shouldn't just be frequently and randomly activating its HDMI output for no reason.

It's annoying on my LG TV too, which comes up with a notification that the HDMI port is available every time Switch does its thing.

It is a fault of the Switch - the Switch just randomly sleeps and wakes up its HDMI output constantly. But the Samsung TV has a more adverse side effect to it than others as it also changes to the input too.

Its not nintendos fault though, TVs that just use normal hdmi cec (including my samsung) work absolutely fine

Where's the LG guy on this forum? Need to page LG to stop getting the Switch to get the HDMI channel prompt to randomly appear on screen whilst watching TV.

When this happens while watching TV its pretty annoying.

When this happens while fighting a Dark Souls bossman and you're one hit from either death or victory, its something else altogether.

pswii60

It isn't CEC that's causing the issue, it's the HDMI output sleeping and waking up. Some TVs ignore this, whereas others are a little more 'intelligent' and react to it and tell you something new has been connected.
Its not nintendos fault though, TVs that just use normal hdmi cec (including my samsung) work absolutely fine
Normal HDMI CEC? As opposed to what other kind of CEC?

Lucifon

Why can't Nintendo just fix this, it's clear the issue is related to the Switch itself. Nothing else does this. LG TV's constantly pop up saying the Switch input is available, it's really irritating when we're trying to watch movies/shows.

It isn't CEC that's causing the issue, it's the HDMI output sleeping and waking up. Some TVs ignore this, whereas others are a little more 'intelligent' and react to it and tell you something new has been connected.

Well theres obviously something not normal about how recent samsungs and LGs handle it as the vast majority of TVs work fine

Why can't Nintendo just fix this, it's clear the issue is related to the Switch itself. Nothing else does this. LG TV's constantly pop up saying the Switch input is available, it's really irritating when we're trying to watch movies/shows.

Read the post 2 posts above yours

corn_fest

This is nice, having to pull the Switch from the dock when the TV is on is a pain.
Fingers crossed for this FW update also saving HDR settings in game mode? :D

Fliesen

Well theres obviously something not normal about how recent samsungs and LGs handle it as the vast majority of TVs work fine

it has nothing to do with CEC.

These TVs are simply (patronizingly) "smart" about detecting when an HDMI input signal has just been connected / 'woken from sleep' and switches to that channel.

It's completely independent of HDMI CEC.

Imagine your Windows PC being set-up to automatically open Windows explorer when a new USB drive is being connected.
And then imagine the Switch intermittently waking the connection, even when in standby.
This update by Samsung is the equivalent to Microsoft allowing you to turn off the "automaticall open Windows Explorer when a new USB drive is connected" feature. - something that should have been there from the start, imho.

TheJoRu

The Switch does this on my ASUS monitor, it's not just Samsung. Maybe the individual manufacturers can fix this, but it's definitely a problem with the Switch.

Rumble19

I have an hdmi switcher and a non Samsung TV and this happens to me too. I have to have my switch off the dock to use anything else on the hdmi switch.

That's pretty wonderful, but because Nintendo cheapest out on Dolby and requires lpcm for surround sound, I guess it's stuck routing through my receiver regardless.

Fliesen

The Switch does this on my ASUS monitor, it's not just Samsung. Maybe the individual manufacturers can fix this, but it's definitely a problem with the Switch.

it's definitely a problem caused by the Switch, but TVs should allow you to deactivate the unwanted feature.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's pretty wonderful, but because Nintendo cheapest out on Dolby and requires lpcm for surround sound, I guess it's stuck routing through my receiver regardless.

I thought people were excited when the PS3 came out with LPCM support lol. It's a negative now?

While this should also be fixed on the Switch's side, it's rather baffling that this feature can't (yet) be deactivated on these TVs.
Like, if i fiddle around with HDMI cables underneath my TV because i wanna do cable management, while my girlfriend's watching TV, i wouldn't want her to constantly have to switch back to the TV channel.

nothing to do with CEC. That's a feature that you can decide to use or just deactivate. This is the TV being (a bit too) "smart" and automatically switching to the most recently 'connected / activated' HDMI device.
So, if you - say - plug in your laptop into a HDMI input on your TV, it would auto switch to that signal.

Ah dang, thanks for the info guys! I definitely thought this was a CEC issue. Definitely seems like an issue that can be addressed from either side then. As noted above, I find it kind of surprising that "smart" TV's don't give you the option to disable that feature. I'd be interested in learning whether there's a particular reason the Switch sends those signals too.

jts

...hate me...
Never had any issues with my Philips TV.

Glad for Samsung owners that Samsung are fixing their shit though.

jack....

My HDMI switch automatically switches to the Switch if I forget to undock the Switch while I'm using another device. I feel like it's the Switch that is at fault here.

Switch

It is. I have a bunch of HDMI stuff hooked up to my TV and the Switch is the only thing with this problem. The auto HDMI switching works great with everything else.

Good for Samsung for fixing it if Nintendo won't, though. Super annoying not to be able to leave my Switch docked.

Berordn

I'm more curious about why there's such inconsistency in the behavior across so many TVs. I'm sure the Switch is sending some sort of signal, but it hasn't affected a single TV I use so far, where I'll leave it docked and on standby for hours.

Top Bottom