• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung: Sony Set To Slash TV/BD Players/PS3 Prices

spwolf

[Nintex] said:
Sony is stuck between a rock and a hard place, from what I understand Samsung is selling their stuff dirt cheap which Sony can't compete with and Panasonic is taking all the awards and recommendations from the critics as far as quality and bang for buck goes.

panasonic is losing shit load of money though, they lost $4.5 billions in revenue in FY 2009 so they are actually in much worse place than Sony... Korean manufacturers have the luck of very low won which makes it easier for them to sell their products cheap and still make money.

njean777

all these people fighting over tv's? im just happy i have a vizio 26in hdtv for my games. might not be the best but it does what it is suppose to.

knitoe

MWS Natural said:
It sucks so badly that Panasonic makes better TV's cheaper than Sony or Samsung yet consumers are so uneducated they still buy their LCD's.
Both plasma and LCD TVs have advantages and disadvantages. I went with LCD because I sometimes use it as a computer monitor and don't watch tv in the dark. It's obvious you prefer plasma, but stop making it sound like it's the tv format to end all.

AppleBlade

knitoe said:
Both plasma and LCD TVs have advantages and disadvantages. I went with LCD because I sometimes use it as a computer monitor and don't watch tv in the dark. It's obvious you prefer plasma, but stop making it sound like it's the tv format to end all.
TV fanboyism is nearly as bad as console fanboyism. The worst are the plasma proponents who love to put down LCD's. They have their pro's and con's and I personally prefer LCD's. I'm not some uneducated dolt. I go to the avs forums, I know what i'm buying and I still prefer LCDs. If someone like's plasma's then that's fine, there are great plasma's like there are great LCD's and there are also crappy TV's of both kinds.

imail

New gaming console from Samsung Confirmed !

RUN!

Seriously, Sony's products aren't that great. I have Samsung and Sony HDTVs "Both are the same size but the Samsung one is about 100$ less". For me, I prefer playing on the Samsung TV, Don't know why though,There is something better about it but I can't know what it is.

Aside from TV's Sony is always Overpriced. Think of Sony's Laptops , Cameras , MP3's they all have BETTER and CHEAPER competitors.

Gorgon

imail said:
Seriously, Sony's products aren't that great. I have Samsung and Sony HDTVs "Both are the same size but the Samsung one is about 100$ less". For me, I prefer playing on the Samsung TV, Don't know why though,There is something better about it but I can't know what it is.

So Sony products aren't that great because you "prefer playing on the Samsung TV, Don't know why though,There is something better about it but I can't know what it is" ? :lol

Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are making some of the best TVs out there at the moment. Just don't expect to find the perfect TV because it doesn't exist. Consider yourselves lucky to have such a range to choose from and stop bitching.

imail said:
New gaming console from Samsung Confirmed !

RUN!

Aside from TV's Sony is always Overpriced. Think of Sony's Laptops , Cameras , MP3's they all have BETTER and CHEAPER competitors.

I don't know about cameras, but I've been shopping laptops recently and the Sony Vaios weren't any more expensive than comparable models from Toshiba and HP. They have their low end stuff which is reasonably priced and the high end, more expensive stuff just like the other manufacturers. The only company I see charging a 'premium' from top to bottom is Apple.

MWS Natural said:
It sucks so badly that Panasonic makes better TV's cheaper than Sony or Samsung yet consumers are so uneducated they still buy their LCD's.
What did you expect?
Since I have my G10 panny plasma I could never go back to LCD for my gaming purposes (especially not a samsung with their crappy input lag) but different people have different priorities and budgets.

avaya

The funny thing is Samsung will soon find itself in the same situation Sony is in when the Won experiences the same problems as the Yen.

knitoe said:

I hook my Gaming PC to my Kuro with amazing results and also have day time settings for daytime viewing.

Both have their pro's and con's but it is a fact that plasma is a superior technology when speaking of picture quality and handling motion. This is of course directly comparing HDTV's of similar levels, not comparing the worse Vizio plasma vs. the best Samsung. LCD's are great for monitors and smaller sets but buying an LCD over 46 inches in most cases is an uneducated purchase imo.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Doubledex said:
Hey, the IKEA stand is AWESOME ;)

I love that thing. It's pretty damned sturdy for "wood product". I actually would have preferred the green one pictured above than the pale 'natural' wood colour we got.

MrVargas said:
TV fanboyism is nearly as bad as console fanboyism. The worst are the plasma proponents who love to put down LCD's. They have their pro's and con's and I personally prefer LCD's. I'm not some uneducated dolt. I go to the avs forums, I know what i'm buying and I still prefer LCDs. If someone like's plasma's then that's fine, there are great plasma's like there are great LCD's and there are also crappy TV's of both kinds.

LCDs for me still have too much of an electronic-y look to them, Plasmas look more lush to my color loving eyes

Ranger X

Gorgon said:
Sorry, but no. The W4000 from 2008 is 30ms faster than your model.

Also Samsung hasn't "been surpassing Sony" since a couple of years back. Please post actual data to back that up.

I didn't shop my TV hazardously. What I mean by better is when you check similar models. If you took the LN40A550 vs the corresponding Sony model in the Bravia series, the Samsung one is having less lag. The refresh rate isn't the only thing to taking into account and if I remember right they are both 5ms anyways. The Bravia might have some more processing or slower upscaler and then you get your lag, hot refresh rate or not.

The best test that opened my eyes and me go beyond specs was to simply play Super Mario World VC on both, back to back. I personally set both TV with all the image bullcrap off and did put the Bravia game mode on. Result: It was barely playable on the Bravia and barely noticeable on the LN40A550.

Gorgon

Ranger X said:
I didn't shop my TV hazardously. What I mean by better is when you check similar models. If you took the LN40A550 vs the corresponding Sony model in the Bravia series, the Samsung one is having less lag. The refresh rate isn't the only thing to taking into account and if I remember right they are both 5ms anyways. The Bravia might have some more processing or slower upscaler and then you get your lag, hot refresh rate or not.

5ms both? Than what we see here is a difference between european models and US ones, because the W4000 (not the US W4100) is 30ms faster than the A550. Check it out at HDTVtest. The 2008 European W4000 is one of the fastest HDTVs to this date. Guess you guys in the US have a problem...:lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just bought a Sony electronic for the first time in years not counting gaming systems. So that $50 off was just a trick? WAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Smash88

Banned
spwolf said:
Honestly, i have to own Samsung product yet that is better than below average crap. I repeat same mistake year after year, getting swayed by all these people claiming Samsung is the shit, and then discovering it is shit.

I dont have Sony TV though, my Panny Plasma kind of rules over your lcd crap :lol

Samsung is amazing. I have a Samsung TV and Samsung Computer Monitor and they are great compared to the prices some of the Sony Bravia's are. They shit all over my room, to be frank.

If it drops to $350 (CDN) I would definitely see myself picking it up, since tax alone will bring it up to $400+.

Top Bottom