• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung: Sony Set To Slash TV/BD Players/PS3 Prices

Biff

Despite the rumoured price cuts and aggressive marketing from vendors, one Harvey Norman franchisee has warned that discounting is not necessarily a good thing. "There is very little margin in TV's and the last thing we need is less margin..."

Hahahaha shut the fuck up... I worked at Best Buy for over a year. There are huge margins on TVs, especially HDTVs.

spwolf

Tiduz said:
I have 0% knowledge or interest in sales age, so this is a really stupid question

could the whole of sony cease to exist if this continues? I hope not. I like their tv's alot, even tho it has a high price.

Their OLED tv looks hot, i want to buy it in the future.

what exactly is supposed to continue? Electronic manufacturers competing for your $$$?
Yes sir, it will certainly continue :D

LiK

i don't think i ever heard of this site until today. but i'll take some of the comments here about them to heart before i post their stories again. :lol

Fistula

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Agreed. I've not had good experience with Samsung products. Very flimsy. Even their new TV's feel like fischer price toys.

I would like to have a Sony TV though. But they only make LCD and I can't tolerate that.

p.p.p.? Fisher Price toy? Seriously? I am really interested in how you "feel" a TV? Is that marketing babble for "Samsung TVs, from a technical and design aspect are better than Sony TVs, but let us enamor you with "feelings" and false bias opinions"?

I posted REAL impressions, having ownership of 2 TVs of the brands you are "comparing", so why would I trust your "opinion" over my own? :lol

And for the gentleman that said his Panny Plasma crapped on my desk, I'm sure it does, unfortunately, as a multi-purpose display (games and PC mostly) I prefer an LCD, and for now, Samsung is tops.

time for straight talk around GAF and the internet in general, too many generated opinions, not enough truth, especially when people are paying for this shit with their hard earned money.

Firestorm

spwolf said:
ehm, Sony is still making LCD's in same factories as before, Sharp deal is new deal for upcoming new factories.
Ah, I thought this already started. Sony rep was saying they were moving towards it in 2009 but it was before the recession hit as hard as it did. Their reasoning for not making their own panels was "It's not the panel that makes the picture. It's what's inside the TV. We go with whoever manufactures good panels for a good price" or something along those lines.

Fistula said:
see post right above yours. man, you are all over the internet firestorm, jobless?
Office. I think a good portion of 9 - 5 GAF is people at work.

spwolf

Fistula said:
time for straight talk around GAF and the internet in general, too many generated opinions, not enough truth, especially when people are paying for this shit with their hard earned money

well truth is that every samsung product that i purchased turned out to be real dissapointement. Recently got cheap LCD for my office, one for my bro, samsung smart phone, best friend god samsung plasma, and all were crap ultimatly.

and yeah I watch tv, sat, cable, bd's and game on my panny plasma and it is far superior to lcd's in many ways. Since you like to spread the truth, read a bit about plasma vs lcd advantages before you spread the crap.

H_Prestige said:
Forget about LCD. I want to see some more OLED Sony. 32". Just don't charge $16,000 for it.

When the 360 came out, plasma TVs were $16,000. These things will come in time, my child.

Firestorm said:

Since being put into a desolate office, half my work day is GAF now. :(

Firestorm

Which ones did you buy? The 3 or 4 series? I'd say Samsung is usually better than Sony when in the same price bracket. Sony's stuff seems to be priced the same as one level lower than Samsung. Might have changed since last year. I just want a Panasonic though =)

Fistula

Banned
Firestorm said:
Ah, I thought this already started. Sony rep was saying they were moving towards it in 2009 but it was before the recession hit as hard as it did. Their reasoning for not making their own panels was "It's not the panel that makes the picture. It's what's inside the TV. We go with whoever manufactures good panels for a good price" or something along those lines.

Me too, sorry, I just figured I was the only one slacking off between sales calls :D

It's not the panel that makes the picture. It's what's inside the TV. We go with whoever manufactures good panels for a good price" or something along those lines.

Then they are fucked because the "Bravia 2 Engine" processor in my W4100 is shit, like I said, it can't do native 1920x1080p without downscaling it internally, resulting in half-tones, and probably gaming lag due to extra processing time. All BE2 equipped TVs have the same issue: no 1:1 1080p pixel mapping without enabling "photo mode" (sounds like a good mode for video, LOL!) which turns off ALL the bells and whistles I paid for.

Fistula

Banned
spwolf said:
well truth is that every samsung product that i purchased turned out to be real dissapointement. Recently got cheap LCD for my office, one for my bro, samsung smart phone, best friend god samsung plasma, and all were crap ultimatly.

and yeah I watch tv, sat, cable, bd's and game on my panny plasma and it is far superior to lcd's in many ways. Since you like to spread the truth, read a bit about plasma vs lcd advantages before you spread the crap.

Looks like the only Samsung product you bought that was crap was the FUD-2009 Spell Checker, it apparently is broken.

What crap am I spreading? I just said your Panny plasma probably IS better than my Sony or Samsung... fucking read.

LiK

Firestorm said:
Which ones did you buy? The 3 or 4 series? I'd say Samsung is usually better than Sony when in the same price bracket. Sony's stuff seems to be priced the same as one level lower than Samsung. Might have changed since last year. I just want a Panasonic though =)

get a Panny Plasma, so awesome. i love it.

RavenFox

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
Samsung makes the actual screens in all sony televisions.

EDIT: sony lcd hd televisions.
Ding ding. Japanese companies are unlike their western counterparts. Try remembering that GAF.
SlaughterX said:
"Sony has a problem but discounting is not the answer"

Uhh, when your products are over priced and the competition offers better ones for less, then yes it is.
Overpriced? lol
Sony are the only ones that actually do true calibration on their sets before shipping. How many Sony products do you own? If it's high end its worth it.

Fistula

Banned
RavenFox said:
Ding ding. Japanese companies are unlike their western counterparts. Try remembering that GAF.

Overpriced? lol
Sony are the only ones that actually do true calibration on their sets before shipping. How many Sony products do you own? If it's high end its worth it.

Ummm... Samsung is Korean and as far as I know, it took a lot of pride swallowing for a Japanese company to partner with a Korean company over technology, one of Japan's biggest exports, they generally hate each other, no?

-viper-

Banned
Firestorm said:
Nope.

I had Samsung Series 4 and 5 Television sets and they were both AWFUL. Crappy HD image quality, heavy motion blur and generally looked AWFUL compared to my Panasonic Plasma TV. I returned them immediately - I actually got the Series 4 first. Was very disappointed, thought the Series 5 televisions might actaully be better. Was again disappointed. Never buying another Samsung TV set again.

The Sony TVs look a lot better in comparison. They're expensive though and I had to settle for a Toshiba in the end :\

Fistula

Banned
-viper- said:
Nope.

I had Samsung Series 5 and 6 Television sets and they were both AWFUL. Crappy HD image quality, heavy motion blur and generally looked AWFUL compared to my Panasonic Plasma TV. I returned them immediately - I actually got the Series 5 first. Was very disappointed, thought the Series 6 televisions might actaully be better. Was again disappointed. Never buying another Samsung TV set again.

The Sony TVs look a lot better in comparison. They're expensive though and I had to settle for a Toshiba in the end :\

ugh, if you're gonna say that Samsungs are garbage and Sony are better, then at least point out specific models so that I can have some proof when I tell you that you are full of shit, and at least compare plasma~plasma, LCD~LCD. You didn't even say if the "5 and 6 series" was plasma or LCD... (the 5&6 series plasmas are kinda meh, but the 6 series LCD is right up there with the best)

EDIT: I reread your post and you are so full of shit dude.
1-You say the Samsungs had heavy motion blur compared to your Panasonic plasma (fair enough)
2-You say that Sony TV are "better" (they don't make plasma, so they must have motion blur like all other LCDs, which they do)
3-You ended up going with a Toshiba... First of all, you said you owned a Panasonic Plasma not a Toshiba? and second, even if you do have the Toshiba, THEY ONLY MAKE LCDs TOO, so there goes your motion blur shit again.

Man...

inner-G

Banned
Fistula said:
Ummm... Samsung is Korean and as far as I know, it took a lot of pride swallowing for a Japanese company to partner with a Korean company over technology, one of Japan's biggest exports, they generally hate each other, no?
I think that's mainly older people, but these execs are probably those older people.

Japanese kids today love them some Korean stuff and K-pop. I think it's kind of a rebellion against the older generation.

Fistula said:
ugh, if you're gonna say that Samsungs are garbage and Sony are better, then at least point out specific models so that I can have some proof when I tell you that you are full of shit, and at least compare plasma~plasma, LCD~LCD. You didn't even say if the "5 and 6 series" was plasma or LCD... (the 5&6 series plasmas are kinda meh, but the 6 series LCD is right up there with the best)

I'm only going by casually looking at them at stores, but the a650 series had an amazing picture.

edit: Unfortunately it was too expensive for me so I have an A450. It's pretty good but it's only 60hz and the motion blur bothers me. I guess you get what you pay for.

-viper-

Banned
Fistula said:
The Samsung's were LCDs. Up there with the best? Was average at best from what I saw. My Toshiba 37" LCD looks better than the Samsung. I'd know because I've had it. Maybe I had a faulty set, who knows. But the bottom line is that it looked terrible. I've compared it with a Sony 40" and the difference was day and night.

jett

D-Member
Fistula said:
Me too, sorry, I just figured I was the only one slacking off between sales calls :D

Then they are fucked because the "Bravia 2 Engine" processor in my W4100 is shit, like I said, it can't do native 1920x1080p without downscaling it internally, resulting in half-tones, and probably gaming lag due to extra processing time. All BE2 equipped TVs have the same issue: no 1:1 1080p pixel mapping without enabling "photo mode" (sounds like a good mode for video, LOL!) which turns off ALL the bells and whistles I paid for.

Maybe you should've done more research before wasting your money on a piece of shit LCD.

RavenFox

Banned
Fistula said:
China maybe but, not so much Korea. Error in my post about nationality[Samsung is in Seoul Korea] but, I'm sure folks get the point. Remember though they are making them for Sony not the other way around.

Fistula

Banned
-viper- said:
The Samsung's were LCDs. Up there with the best? Was average at best from what I saw. My Toshiba 37" LCD looks better than the Samsung. I'd know because I've had it. Maybe I had a faulty set, who knows. But the bottom line is that it looked terrible. I've compared it with a Sony 40" and the difference was day and night.

Give me model #'s if you are gonna keep this up. I can't help you not look like a viral on the net unless you give me some basic information on your senseless rants.
I said "look like", not an accusation

Zen

Banned
It could be that Sony is considering price slashing and Samsung is leaking the information to 1) hurt current sales of Sony LCDs and 2) pressure them into a price drop scenario which might ultimately not necessarily be a good thing for the company.

larvi

lol...Nice marketing move by Samsung, now everyone who was considering a Sony purchase will wait for price slash whether it comes or not.

Fistula

Banned
jett said:
Maybe you should've done more research before wasting your money on a piece of shit LCD.

Actually, it isn't that bad for gaming, just not as cutting edge as my A750 feature wise. Also, it was the top of the line Sony CCFL backlit LCD last year, so if it is a POS, then I'd hate to see what everyone else bought. Either way, thanks for adding to the thread, your post was informative and helpful.
you mad

GameGamer

-viper- said:
Nope.

I had Samsung Series 5 and 6 Television sets and they were both AWFUL. Crappy HD image quality, heavy motion blur and generally looked AWFUL compared to my Panasonic Plasma TV.

Did you turn off the 120hz stuff? It makes a big difference in compressed signals such as cable and sat signals.

-viper-

Banned
Fistula said:

EDIT: I reread your post and you are so full of shit dude.
1-You say the Samsungs had heavy motion blur compared to your Panasonic plasma (fair enough)
2-You say that Sony TV are "better" (they don't make plasma, so they must have motion blur like all other LCDs, which they do)
3-You ended up going with a Toshiba... First of all, you said you owned a Panasonic Plasma not a Toshiba? and second, even if you do have the Toshiba, THEY ONLY MAKE LCDs TOO, so there goes your motion blur shit again.

Man...
Seems like I wasn't too clear.

Already got a Panasonic plasma. Needed to buy a LCD for the PC and PS3. The Samsung sets handled motion poorly compared to the Toshiba and Sony LCDs, which both looked better. But I had a budget and settled for the Toshiba.

Fistula said:
Give me model #'s if you are gonna keep this up. I can't help you not look like a viral on the net unless you give me some basic information on your senseless rants.
I said "look like", not an accusation
LOL viral. If anything, that title appears to be more appropriate for you.

Model was a Samsung 37A559. As for the Series 4 set, 32A456.

I think plasmas are the best looking sets anyhow. My Panasonic is probably one of the best looking TVs I've seen. But I needed a LCD because I needed it for the PC and PS3.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Evlar said:
"Known for price gouging"? WTF kind of amateur hour nonsense is this shit?

Smarthouse has been on a self-described 'mission to save Sony' for some time now, which usually involves shitting on them at every possible opportunity ;)

RavenFox

Banned
Zen said:
It could be that Sony is considering price slashing and Samsung is leaking the information to 1) hurt current sales of Sony LCDs and 2) pressure them into a price drop scenario which might ultimately not necessarily be a good thing for the company.
Why would they do that when they make the friggin lcds for some of their models. wtf dude?

larvi said:
lol...Nice marketing move by Samsung, now everyone who was considering a Sony purchase will wait for price slash whether it comes or not.
WHAT?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
-viper- said:

I think plasmas are the best looking sets anyhow. My Panasonic is probably one of the best looking TVs I've seen. But I needed a LCD because I needed it for the PC and PS3.
Anyone who does more than 5 minutes of research knows to never buy a 37" Samsung. They don't make their panels that size, so you get a worse panel.

Snipes424

I don't know Sony's profit on TVs and other items, but how is it considered price gouging when they have been losing money on every PS3 sold?

But other then that, I do enjoy lower prices :D

Fistula

Banned
-viper- said:

HA... earlier you said it was a series 5 and series 6 LCD you had... Lies! Confusion!

Anyway... any 37" TVs have panels made in taiwan, Samsung only fabs 32", 40", 46", 52", 55". So those 2 models were low end, outsourced junk and probably had a junk processor to match, not surprised you weren't happy with them.
See? I can call Samsung garbage just as easily as I can with Sony.

-viper-

Banned
Fistula said:
HA... earlier you said it was a series 5 and series 6 LCD you had... Lies! Confusion!

Anyway... any 37" TVs have panels made in taiwan, Samsung only fabs 32", 40", 46", 52", 55". So those 2 models were low end, outsourced junk and probably had a junk processor to match, not surprised you weren't happy with them.
My mistake. 4 and 5 are the sets I had. I assumed the red framed Samsung was a Series 7 (that looked good. Pretty expensive though) so yeah.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fistula said:
This is not surprising: I have both a Sony 52W4100 ans a Samsung 52A750, competing TVs from last year. The Samsung shits all over the Sony, like on its chest, face, in its hair, etc. The Sony can't even do true 1080p without putting it into a "photo mode" that disables all perks like 120hz motion interpolation, 24p, faded colour, etc.

Well that's what you get for buying a lower-end model. The XBRs are some of the best, and in some cases are the best in class. You pay for it, but you get it.

Kolgar

Sony's about three years late with this move.

In that time, I purchased my first HDTV: a 61-inch Samsung DLP that saved me about $800 on the comparable Sony and won a "Best Rear-Projection HDTV" award from a major home theater magazine.

I never looked back, and have since purchased a 46" Samsung A650 LCD for my bedroom and helped my girlfriend pick out her own Samsung A550 LCD.

I'd been set on a Sony (my previous two sets had been Sonys), but Samsung just clobbered them from a price/performance perspective.

The scary thing for Sony is, the company has already been operating at thin margins for years now. With the damage the brand has taken and the increased competition from Samsung, Panasonic, et. al., the company has its hands full, that's for sure.

Kuraudo

Banned
Why would Samsung announce this? "Hey, going to buy one of our TVs? Might want to hold off a few weeks and get a Sony for cheaper!"

Fistula

Banned
Arkham said:
Well that's what you get for buying a lower-end model. The XBRs are some of the best, and in some cases are the best in class. You pay for it, but you get it.

Thanks for not reading the thread, but I already mentioned that ironically, the all the XBR's since the fabled XBR4 have been over priced crap with Taiwanese no name panels in them, (with the exception of the $5000 LED XBR8) however the W4100 DOES in fact have a Samsung S-PVA panel in it, that is why I bought it. But thanks for making an uninformed post.

The model order went something like this

S series
V Series
W Series
Z series
XBR

ONLY the W series had an S-PVA panel in it, all had the same processor except the XBR. Which would you have bought?

Sony's about three years late with this move.

In that time, I purchased my first HDTV: a 61-inch Samsung DLP that saved me about $800 on the comparable Sony and won a "Best Rear-Projection HDTV" award from a major home theater magazine.

I never looked back, and have since purchased a 46" Samsung A650 LCD for my bedroom and helped my girlfriend pick out her own Samsung A550 LCD.

I'd been set on a Sony (my previous two sets had been Sonys), but Samsung just clobbered them from a price/performance perspective.

The scary thing for Sony is, the company has already been operating at thin margins for years now. With the damage the brand has taken and the increased competition from Samsung, Panasonic, et. al., the company has its hands full, that's for sure.

Finally... factual opinions™

CTLance

Yay! I need to find a better job now though, money's tight at the moment. Do want a less expensive PS3 though. It'd be a waste of money, but hey, all three systems ftw!

vantastic

Fistula said:

holy crap. one person dislikes samsung tv's and you're ALL on their case. :lol
do you own samsung stock or something?

vantastic

larvi said:
then blame sony for not cutting prices because samsung said they would :lol

Top Bottom