• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung: Sony Set To Slash TV/BD Players/PS3 Prices

-viper-

Banned
vantastic said:
holy crap. one person dislikes samsung tv's and you're ALL on their case. :lol
do you own samsung stock or something?
It gets better - he said I was probably a viral marketer for Sony! :lol

How ironic.

Fistula

Banned
vantastic said:
holy crap. one person dislikes samsung tv's and you're ALL on their case. :lol
do you own samsung stock or something?

Um, no. However, I do realize that "internet opinion" factors heavily into technology purchasing decisions with the type of consumer that buys high margin electronics. Big companies also know this and tend to try and cloud up the pool of facts with viral algae and PR piss. I am the chlorine, I kill all the bullshit in the pool, letting the water (the product, if you haven't figured it out by now) shine.

dazed808

-viper- said:
It gets better - he said I was probably a viral marketer for Sony! :lol

A little peruse of his recent posts may tell you where his allegiances lie and could explain his raaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggeee at anything Sony related. But hey there are plenty of system warriors on both sides so one more makes no difference to the general white noise.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fistula said:
Thanks for not reading the thread, but I already mentioned that ironically, the all the XBR's since the fabled XBR4 have been over priced crap with Taiwanese no name panels in them, (with the exception of the $5000 LED XBR8) however the W4100 DOES in fact have a Samsung S-PVA panel in it, that is why I bought it. But thanks for making an uninformed post.

ONLY the W series had an S-PVA panel in it, all had the same processor except the XBR. Which would you have bought?

I would have easily bought the XBR4 or the Samsung Lnt71. I wouldn't buy any non-XBR Sony, because you can generally find similar quality at a better price point. But if I wanted the best I'd go with the XBR and damn well pay for it.

Your crappity-this-crappity-overpriced-that hyperbole certainly let's us know where you stand on Sony products. Maybe you're just cheap.

Fistula

Banned
dazed808 said:
A little peruse of his recent posts may tell you where his allegiances lie and could explain his raaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggeee at anything Sony related. But hey there are plenty of system warriors on both sides so one more makes no difference to the general white noise.

Yup, hate Sony... check the meta data on this photo jackass, taken today? This hour? 3 minutes ago? And to call me cheap? What is cheap? My 52A750 was $3000... my house and car? ...a lot more.

IMG_0001.jpg

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Fistula said:
Yup, hate Sony... check the meta data on this photo jackass, taken today? This hour? 3 minutes ago?

IMG_0001.jpg

(Ikea - Check. Yep: cheap.)

J/K. I had the same t.v. stand. ;)

dazed808

Fistula said:
Yup, hate Sony... check the meta data on this photo jackass, taken today? This hour? 3 minutes ago?

Ok maybe I was a little harsh with the system warrior stuff.

I probably should of said "A little peruse of his recent posts may tell you that he's just rude, confrontational and argumentative in general, so don't take it personal"
Better?

Fistula

Banned
There's a big stain on the lower frame of your TV.

nope, just a wavy reflection from the crap molding process Sony uses for their TV frames, but thanks for the concern

Arkham said:
That's a reflection of his Canon DSLR with ultrasonic lens, the epitome of cheap.

fixed, lol.

knitoe

Loving my Samsung 52A750, but you can't compare Sony W series to it. One major difference is W has 8 bit VS 10 bit panel. It's more compariable to Z or XBR6+.

People when you make TV comparison use compariable TVs. Stupid to compare lower level vs higher one. Also, each company have different tier levels. Using low tier to say company X TVs sux is also dumb.

Fistula said:
p.p.p.? Fisher Price toy? Seriously? I am really interested in how you "feel" a TV? Is that marketing babble for "Samsung TVs, from a technical and design aspect are better than Sony TVs, but let us enamor you with "feelings" and false bias opinions"?

I posted REAL impressions, having ownership of 2 TVs of the brands you are "comparing", so why would I trust your "opinion" over my own? :lol

And for the gentleman that said his Panny Plasma crapped on my desk, I'm sure it does, unfortunately, as a multi-purpose display (games and PC mostly) I prefer an LCD, and for now, Samsung is tops.

time for straight talk around GAF and the internet in general, too many generated opinions, not enough truth, especially when people are paying for this shit with their hard earned money.

I'm not sure why you think I'm a viral marketer for Sony TVs, since I wouldn't want either a Samsung or Sony LCD in my home. Only I trust Sony more from a reliabilty standpoint.

I prefer direct view display technologies like plasma and OLED, which is why I own a Panny plasma. I'd even take a Samsung plasma since their picture quality this year is arguably superior to the Panny, but they have too many issues with the build quality.

Gorgon

Fistula said:
Then they are fucked because the "Bravia 2 Engine" processor in my W4100 is shit, like I said, it can't do native 1920x1080p without downscaling it internally, resulting in half-tones, and probably gaming lag due to extra processing time. All BE2 equipped TVs have the same issue: no 1:1 1080p pixel mapping without enabling "photo mode" (sounds like a good mode for video, LOL!) which turns off ALL the bells and whistles I paid for.

What year model is that? Because that's a huge pile of shit you said there, if I may say so. And I can even give you measured readings from a 2008 european W4000 and compare it to measured readings on the 2008 Samsung series. Can you please tell me how did you reach those conclusions and what and how did you measure?

Firestorm

Gorgon said:
What year model is that? Because that's a huge pile of shit you said there, if I may say so. And I can even give you measured readings from a 2008 european W4000 and compare it to measured readings on the 2008 Samsung series. Can you please tell me how did you reach those conclusions and what and how did you measure?
W4100 is the 2008 Sony W series model. One of the few Sony TVs I felt was priced appropriately. Samsung didn't have anything in the range. They had the 5 series to compete with Sony's V and 6 series to compete with Sony's Z/XBR6 but nothing to answer to the W.

Ranger X

Well, when it comes to TV they simply should make better ones.

Samsung is surpassing them since a couple of years in overall quality. My LN40A550 is having also less lag than any Bravia with the game mode "on".

Gorgon

Firestorm said:
W4100 is the 2008 Sony W series model. One of the few Sony TVs I felt was priced appropriately. Samsung didn't have anything in the range. They had the 5 series to compete with Sony's V and 6 series to compete with Sony's Z/XBR6 but nothing to answer to the W.

Here in Europe it was the W4000. I thought this year's models where also named the same way. I just checked and it seems that this year's model is the 40W5500 which is the successor to the W4500. I do know there were differences between the european and american 2008 models, but nowhere near the scale of what that poster said.

Gorgon

Ranger X said:
Well, when it comes to TV they simply should make better ones.

Samsung is surpassing them since a couple of years in overall quality. My LN40A550 is having also less lag than any Bravia with the game mode "on".

Sorry, but no. The W4000 from 2008 is 30ms faster than your model.

Also Samsung hasn't "been surpassing Sony" since a couple of years back. Please post actual data to back that up.

Fistula

Banned
Gorgon said:
Sorry, but no. The W4000 from 2008 is 30ms faster than your model.

Also Samsung hasn't "been surpassing Sony" since a couple of years back. Please post actual data to back that up.

Have you looked at the Samsung 6000/7000 and local LED 8000/8500? that is the 'data'

dfyb

Banned
Corleth the Fey said:
Did anyone in this thread actually Google 'price gouging' before they made an amateur comment on it?
it was certainly a poor choice of words. legally, "price gouging" is a felony. he should have just said "overpricing."

Gorgon

Fistula said:

Thank you for the link. I'm going to read it more carefully. However it seems from a cursory reading that the problem has to do with 120Hz messing up the video mode. The european models don't have 120hz. The only problem with the european models was undefeatable edge enhancement and even that was minor. The European models also had 10 bit panels, which where missing on the US models if I remember correctly. The lag that you refered to is also NOT present on the European models; in fact the W4000 is 30ms faster than any Samsung model to this day with Game Mode on.

Anyway, I'm goint to check that thread that I see is from the AVS forums in the US. I'll get back to you later.

Fistula said:
Have you looked at the Samsung 6000/7000 and local LED 8000/8500? that is the 'data'

Checking out the LED ones is difficult for me, don't have much access. As for the others I only have access to the B750 and B650. What ones are those competing against in the Sony rooster?

Anyway, Sony's TVs (non-LED) from 2007 and 2008 where somewhat superior to the Samsung offerings in the same price ranges, although 2008 Samsungs where very close. I can post results of tests if you want to. For this year I haven't made any comparisons.

Forsete

Good, I'll soon be in the market for a new TV. Been very happy with the Bravia I have, but I'm looking for a Full HD set now.

Hope these price wars does not mean they'll take on Samsungs tactics of saving bucks by having different panels on the same models. I cant stand Samsung.

BeeDog

Forsete said:
Good, I'll soon be in the market for a new TV. Been very happy with the Bravia I have, but I'm looking for a Full HD set now.

Hope these price wars does not mean they'll take on Samsungs tactics of saving bucks by having different panels on the same models. I cant stand Samsung.

Damn straight, fuck Samsung for that. I had to return the Samsung T220 monitor twice since both times I got copies with the cheapest C panel inside (awful image quality UGH). Never again.

/slightly off-topic

Sydle

Panasonic and Samsung are beating Sony because they make vastly superior products that make the purchase price reasonable. Seems these day that Sony is trying to coast off their name. Pity, because a couple of years ago they were making near top-of-the-line products.

P90

Just my observation, but in side to side comparisons of typically priced sets in stores, the Sony LCDs have the best contrast. is it all in the settings?

Gorgon

P90 said:
Just my observation, but in side to side comparisons of typically priced sets in stores, the Sony LCDs have the best contrast. is it all in the settings?

Never evaluate a TV from what you see in a store, unless you like completly messed up color decoding, gray levels, etc. TVs in stores try to get your attention as much as possible over competing models and they do that by beying set to "torch mode" where the image is completely overblown.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BeeDog said:
Damn straight, fuck Samsung for that. I had to return the Samsung T220 monitor twice since both times I got copies with the cheapest C panel inside (awful image quality UGH). Never again.

/slightly off-topic

Yeah, I fell victim to this too. Saw rave reviews of the 206BW, picked it up, only to find out I'd got one of their 'non-review' models that has a crappier panel in it... I couldn't be arsed returning it, but it would make me think twice about Samsung or, at the very least, about trusting reviews of them.

Gorgon

Fistula:

I've read the thread. There seems to be a problem with 2008 Sony TVs regarding some kind of blur. However there is no proof whatesoever that it is downscaling the image to process it and upscaling it again. It seems that it was a processing choice by Sony to reduce macroblocking and other deficiencies in some HD material. I agree though that it should have been an option that the user could toggle on and off as desired. As it is it seems that there is a firmware update that eliminates or at least significantly reduces that "blur" effect. Some people claim it's still there others say it's gone. Hard to judge from that thread.

Anyway, I'm not aware of this "problem" in the european sets. I have a 2008 W4000; the lag you refered to is inexistent; as I said before it's 30 ms faster than any Samsung I've seen to this day. It doesn't even have a Game Mode. It doesn't have 120hz either. On the other hand it has a 10 bit panel which the US W4100 doesn't. That may also explain some things.

Have you updated your set to the latest firmware?

spwolf

gofreak said:
Yeah, I fell victim to this too. Saw rave reviews of the 206BW, picked it up, only to find out I'd got one of their 'non-review' models that has a crappier panel in it... I couldn't be arsed returning it, but it would make me think twice about Samsung or, at the very least, about trusting reviews of them.

it same shit everywhere, i got my G800, "N95 beater" ... which was rated "best camera phone of 2008", and of course every review came with a note how "issues with preview build will surely be fixed in shipping product" and they never are, its the by far worse camera phone than K800i, lol. Not to mention that the moment i put it sd card, it drains the battery within 4hrs, on both my original phone and replacement, ooops.

And every time i bought Samsung product i had some kind of issue with it, every freaking time. Then you get all these rave reviews on forums and blogs on how their products rock :D

Of course, maybe i just had a lot of bad luck with samsungs :D

spwolf said:
it same shit everywhere, i got my G800, "N95 beater" ... which was rated "best camera phone of 2008", and of course every review came with a note how "issues with preview build will surely be fixed in shipping product" and they never are, its the by far worse camera phone than K800i, lol. Not to mention that the moment i put it sd card, it drains the battery within 4hrs, on both my original phone and replacement, ooops.

And every time i bought Samsung product i had some kind of issue with it, every freaking time. Then you get all these rave reviews on forums and blogs on how their products rock :D

Of course, maybe i just had a lot of bad luck with samsungs :D

well, i'm a Sammy TV LE40M87BDX owner for two years and i'm really happy with it, no issues so far. and i'm as well a Samsung Omnia owner and i'm happy and satisfied too

maybe i just had luck with Samsungs :D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
BeeDog said:

/slightly off-topic
Samsung should've has their asses sued off for this shit and paid a billion fucking dollars. How the hell can you get away with something like this. Chimei panels are like a third of the price.

I've only owned one Samsung phone, D900 and for what it was it was pretty good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
spwolf said:
Honestly, i have to own Samsung product yet that is better than below average crap. I repeat same mistake year after year, getting swayed by all these people claiming Samsung is the shit, and then discovering it is shit.

I dont have Sony TV though, my Panny Plasma kind of rules over your lcd crap :lol

OK.

[Nintex]

Sony is stuck between a rock and a hard place, from what I understand Samsung is selling their stuff dirt cheap which Sony can't compete with and Panasonic is taking all the awards and recommendations from the critics as far as quality and bang for buck goes.

iratA

pswii60 said:
Smarthouse again? I thought they were on the verge of getting banned here.

Good news for the consumer if true, but the source has spread loads of bullshit in recent memory.

Yep. Where I used to work, we were not allowed to use Smarthouse as a source for any news articles. Smarthouse have certainly got a bad reputation for producing poorly written and inaccurate news content.

[Nintex] said:
Sony is stuck between a rock and a hard place, from what I understand Samsung is selling their stuff dirt cheap which Sony can't compete with and Panasonic is taking all the awards and recommendations from the critics as far as quality and bang for buck goes.

It sucks so badly that Panasonic makes better TV's cheaper than Sony or Samsung yet consumers are so uneducated they still buy their LCD's.

Top Bottom