• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung UE49KS7000 ( UK ) Review : Affordable HDR Hero

Yep, I have the 55" Curved model in the US (KS8500) and it's fantastic.

Its one downside is that it's an edge-lit TV so there's a little bit of light bleed in darker scenes, but the trade-off is well worth it for a sub-$1,500 tv with 20ms gaming lag, HDR, and the great motion handling of the set (compared to its price range).

Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 look fantastic on it with HDR enabled and now I can't wait for the PS4 pro to drop so we can start getting some checkerboard-rendered 4K games with HDR!

That input lag in HDR game mode being less than normal is interesting.

Continuing.

Reasoning for that is because the lag measurement tool measures the time from when it sends a signal to when a certain level of brightness appears on screen. HDR mode reaches that brightness level slightly quicker.

Santiako

Affordable

Typical price: £1099

2Qj9Tcx.gif

Yea this is the model I'm getting next month. These higher end models rarely go on sale for Black Friday but I'll wait just in case.

Yasir

Yea this is the model I'm getting next month. These higher end models rarely go on sale for Black Friday but I'll wait just in case.

Same.

Curry's had a 10 percent off voucher recently which bought it to 990 but I held in hope of black Friday sales.

Mithos

"Affordable"

£1099... lets see that would be around £640 more then the most I've ever payed for a TV (all TV's I've ever gotten have been around £460/€510/$560 ~ish (~4999SEK)).

As far as good HDR tvs go.. this would be considered affordable

Agreed. Many of the less expensive models are compromised in key ways, either by having an 8-bit panel that can't appropriately display the depth of color HDR is known for (Vizio M-Series), by not being able to get bright enough for HDR content (lower-level Samsungs), or by having an increased input lag reading when HDR is enabled (Vizio P-Series).

In the context of this model's mix of features, I think the word "affordable" applies.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Doesn't this line have quality assurance issues? (the screen scratching easily) I was checking this TV out before and the reviews turned me away.

"Affordable"

£1099... lets see that would be around £640 more then the most I've ever payed for a TV (all TV's I've ever gotten have been around £460/€510/$560 ~ish (~4999SEK)).

It's very affordable for people looking for a new TV with all of the cutting edge features. It has 4k, HDR, great PQ, low input lag, and comes in at a solid price. It ticks all the boxes.

Of course it's not affordable compared to an off brand televisions with 10 year old tech. That's not what we're talking about here.

GazzaGSi

I've been scratching my head since I've got the thought of upgrading to a 4K TV.

As it is used on a PC desk in my games room (so I'm like acouple of feet away if that) the maximum I could go to really is 40" and it just seems such a shame a lot of the better spec'd TV's I've considered only start at 49". Some 43" sets are pretty decent but I think the size would be a struggle to be comfortable.

It would make life so much easier if I upgraded the living room TV to a 55/60" but I want the Pro in my games room so pointless really as I couldn't be doing with the Mrs nagging every 5 minutes wanting the TV for Eastenders are Coro lol

Mithos

It's very affordable for people looking for a new TV with all of the cutting edge features. It has 4k, HDR, great PQ, low input lag, and comes in at a solid price. It ticks all the boxes.

Of course it's not affordable compared to an off brand televisions with 10 year old tech. That's not what we're talking about here.

I didn't know my Sony 50w805b bought the same year it released was an off brand.

Dizzy

Banned
I wouldn't say it's affordable.

I'm gonna hold off on 4k until more things use it, natively. By then they will be cheaper anyway.

If I was going to pay over a grand for a TV, I'd go for OLED. Was half tempted tbh but again - not feeling the need for 4k right now.

playXray

I'm well up for something like this but over a grand for a 49" TV is in no way affordable. When I can pick up a 55" or more for £700-£800 then I'll bite.

MazeHaze

Banned
I have the 55 inch. Great TV. I'm typing this message on it right now lol.

It IS affordable when you consider the specs and the competition. The only sets better or on par with this and the Vizio P are LG OLEDS which are about 1000 dollars more expensive.

edit:

Only the motion blur prevents me from buying this one. I've seen a lot of complains about that in the last days :(

No issues here at all. Play PS4 and PC on it daily for the past few months.

DjRalford

Had this TV since release around easter time, it is phenominal and HDR content absolutly blows you away.

The settings logged on rtings are very good for a optimised image if you don't have your own calibration program to use.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thread title needs to be updated to say 'Affordable' in quotes.

or Affordable for millionaires and billionaires.

iKhayal18

It is not affordable at all (1350€ was the cheapest price I was able to buy it for here in Spain), but I believe it is a great investment for the future as it has almost all the technologies that gaming is going to be using before we reach the 8K era, which I believe will be past 2020 or later. I bought the 55" inches one and I don't regret it. Even Wii U games look stunning. Mario Kart 8 or Yoshi's Wolly World are a color explosion. And I'm not even talking about 4K HDR content which is of course impressive.

The differences between ks7000 and ks8000 (EU models) are not worth the +500€ difference in price (just better sound and better local dimming, but if you want good sound you better go and buy a sound bar... the tv sounds great anyway for me). I think that being a 10-bit panel capable of reaching more than 1000 nits, you can't get anything better quality-price than this.

Still, I that doesn't lead me to stop thinking that I'm crazy for expending so much money on a TV...

Dabanton

For the features it's pretty affordable. The TV I want is upwards of $2600. Now I consider that pretty damm pricey.

At this point though I'm waiting until next year to pick up a new TV in time for the Scorpio launch,hopefully the new ones will smooth out some of the issues.

Conduit

Banned
When you look what this TV has inside, it is affordable IMO. Especially next year this TV will be very cheap probably because 2017 models.

MaDKaT

Very awesome screen. We weren't looking to upgrade but when my old plasma died we decided to upgrade. Made me a believer in UHD media.

Gitaroo

They can call it the the cheapest full feature HDR compatible tv, but nowhere near affordable. X800D is the affordable option but HDR support, just not bright enough, better color than the ks8000.

DieH@rd

Banned
When you look what this TV has inside, it is affordable IMO. Especially next year this TV will be very cheap probably because 2017 models.

Shelf life of high end TVs is most of the time very short. We cannot predict how long will this model remain in production, will there be enough time for it to become cheaper.

Top Bottom